Sleep-time holodeck experiences

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Re: Sleep-time holodeck experiences

Postby Sableagle » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:34 pm UTC

This'll be a bit disjointed because it was 10 hours ago, but ...

My small car that I no longer have, trying to drive out of some place somewhere like Morocco via the construction work. Nearly made it, took a lot of detours, bumped over some sand piles, tried an angled ramp onto the road, rolled, flopped back onto the wheels, eventually found a way out.

Car with only me in transformed into a minibus full of tourists along the way. We pulled out past some pulled-over cars, several police vehicles and armed police and two groups of people kneeling in the road, one lot marked with red Xs and one in oversized white long-sleeved t-shirts looking relieved. The tour guide explained that the ones with the red Xs had been caught using drones to target tanks for airstrikes, and would be executed, while the ones in white hadn't been and wouldn't be.

We got into a town and I don't remember the detail now but there was something about a sweetshop ... called Sugarbomb, in English. We were in it and left and I saw the sign behind a lamp-post and thought it was curious that is was in English. Big golden "S," red "ugarbomb."

Bus eventually reached first of our hotels. People got up to get off. I got up to let someone else get off. Someone told me to go first and I said I was staying on because I had a way back. That turned out to mean back to the present day, as we'd gone back in time to 1920 and were leaving people there, and everyone started looking older as they were getting off because if I ever saw them again they'd be 70 years older, meaning I probably would never see them again.

Actually, never seeing them again is normal at the end of a tour, but seeing the whole rest of a good-looking woman's life (in which you won't appear) crinkle her face in the seconds she's getting off the coach for the last time is quite a sad feeling.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:47 am UTC

Spoiler:
I had a dream... that my surgeon was some guy from a horror movie, and he did my operation without... proper procedures. And then chased me all around town--Everywhere I went there he was. He did reality bending like coming through my turned off television set. He was driving a taxi and we don't even have taxis here? And when I got in he force me to go get the operation RIGHT NOW, and botched it, again. While being very sexually inappropriately and not following ANY PROPER PROCEDURES re: usage of anesthetic, clean surgical tools, comfort of the patient... it was a like a terrible horror movie inside my head why sleepy time holodeck experiences why? </3 *Cries helplessly.*
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

New User

Dream

Postby New User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:20 pm UTC

I decided to play Baldur's Gate, a video game that I'd often heard was good but which I had never played (also true in real life). During character creation, by luck you'd sometimes get an item called "bagt of skill". This was a typo, and it was supposed to be spelled "bags of skill". It was a great benefit to get these bags, because inside, there could be more bagt of skill. I later looked in a Dungeons & Dragons rulebook, and I found the same spelling: bagt of skill. I then wanted to find out where it originated, so I looked at a Dungeons & Dragons forum, and found that the spelling was an inside joke among the Dungeons & Dragons community, and it was ubiquitous to the point that it had practically become the official spelling, since it was even in the core rulebook. I still never knew if it originated in Baldur's Gate or if it was spelled that way even before the video game.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:22 pm UTC

Most boring dream I've had in a while: I was wearing new jeans that I had purchased, because my old ones were getting worn out. It did feel nice in the dream though - I've been too busy lately to go shop for jeans, to replace my old ones.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 pm UTC

I drove into a parking lot surrounded by buildings. No one seemed to be in any of them, and the lot was deserted except for me. The doors had various names in gold letters, one of which was "Moahk Automotive." But my heads-up display showed labels for NSA, CIA, DHS, and etc.

Hmmmmmmm...

Real world source, maybe: R'Moahl was the name of an alien race in a series of paperbacks, by Jo Clayton.
In all fairness...

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:03 am UTC

I dreamed I was a science fiction space agent lady in the futures. I had a dashing male partner... and he flirts with me all wildly and totally inappropriate re: our jobs doing... a nonsensical missions I don't even pay attentions to? Anyways, we fought aliens that wanna kills us dead, we come out unscathed. We had political intrigues including: Being in some alien princess's parties and trying to learn their social customs. Then: I kiss my male partner at the ends. He kinda... pulls me into it but I don't fight back? And just kisses him like he wanna out of me the entire mission.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

The Snide Sniper

Postby The Snide Sniper » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:58 pm UTC

I'm biking past my house on the left side of the road in medium traffic, and the cars that pass me magically manage to not hit the oncoming traffic. I look out the side of a stopped semi truck to see the traffic at an uncontrolled intersection (which magically has no crashes) stop for a crowd of bikes. A girl (I don't remember exactly who) texts me, saying "You asked me to create a love triangle." When I walk my bike out the side of the semi truck, she starts shipping me with a 26-year-old girl named "Elliot" and another girl.
Also known as "RamenChef" on various other fora.
Me on: Drawception | Explain xkcd | NationStates | The Sluggite Zone | Stack Overflow

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:27 pm UTC

I keep having nightmares about mundane things and then later on remembering them and being momentarily confused if that mundane bad thing really happened or if it was just a dream.

For one example, I dreamt that my mom was in the hospital again, and I was visiting there, and her landlady was also there and reminding me that her eviction was still pending, to which I protested that Mom said that had all be cleared up, and the landlady said that she must have been lying to me. Some time the next day or so I was feeling down about life in general and worrying about Mom's pending eviction as part of that... until I realized that that hadn't actually happened, I had only dreamt that, and everything was fine with Mom.

For a slightly less mundane example, I had a dream that I was somehow back in time at an event with an ex girlfriend I had at the time, which made me aware that it was a dream, but still in the dream space I was thinking about her being my ex, and that reminded me of my recent breakup with my current girlfriend, which made me sad, until I sorted out that the memory of a breakup with my current girlfriend was itself part of the dream, and everything was fine with her. Still over the next few days I would occasionally feel a twinge of sadness as I "remembered" the dreamt-current state of my relationship, until I remembered again that I had only dreamt that, it wasn't real, and I've got a fun weekend planned with my girlfriend starting tomorrow.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

addams

Postby addams » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:45 pm UTC

Yeah...Dreams can seem very real
I had a dream that I had a Cat.

I could feel his little body in my hand as I picked him up.
I was awake for ... well .. a few minutes before I realized.
"I don't have a Cat.
Besides; There Are No Purple and Orange Cats!

It was a nice dream.
It was fun having a Cat.
No! I don't want one!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:46 pm UTC

addams wrote:It was a nice dream.
It was fun having a Cat.
No! I don't want one!
That's a haiku. :)

Sounds like a lovely dream!
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
eran_rathan wrote:And then the four Hobbits return to the Shire, to find Wario has turned all the Hobbits into Cybermen, and they have to fight in an epic battle involving kaiju & mecha - that's how it ends, right?

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 am UTC

The dream even had a title, "Around the World in 80 Years" (ref). This ne'er-do-well decided to walk all the way around the Earth, which was possible because the Earth was ruined, not sure how. The surface was all craters, some of which had a deadly acid lakes in the bottom, but overall there was little water left in the world. People lived a hand to mouth existence on the few green patches remaining, all over the world.

I am not sure why walking around the world took 80 years. That is less than 1 mile per day. Maybe he just wasn't ambitious.

Anyway, just before I woke up, he was selected as primary diplomat to the alien conference because he was the only human who had covered any significant portion of the Earth's surface, and met any significant number of the remaining human groups. Nevermind that he had to be over a hundred and twenty years old. Rejuvenation or life prolongation? Not sure.
In all fairness...

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:00 pm UTC

I was 30 minutes later to work than usual because I was stuck in traffic on the highway amidst a bunch of honking.
I ended up abandoning the car, loading my Dad and a co-worker on a convenient plank of wood and taking to the sky to follow the highway into town and reach the office.
Then I woke up and did the trip alone.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:43 am UTC

Had the kitten dream again, the one where I rescue the abandoned kittens. There were seven this time, five scrawny week-olds and two healthier month-olds.
In all fairness...

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:41 pm UTC

I was on vacation with my family, a resort someplace with a beach. Only other part I remember was running into a co-worker at dinner. She ordered deep fried mozzarella sticks, with a steak on top.

Another one - I was in a mansion or large opulent building. Was trying to warn someone about something - they were doing something illegal, or were going to get caught. It was involved with politics, maybe the president. I kept trying to tell him, but could not find an area that was private. We were headed to another area of the house, when this old white guy that was a lawyer stopped the guy I was with, and they started talking. I went into a nearby room to try and eavesdrop, but got scared and moved away from the door in case they checked on me.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:20 pm UTC

In my dream last night, all of S Club 7 were posing together naked.

I believe they were posing around a car. They were playing themselves in an episode of Episodes. In the show's universe, the naked stunt was some kind of pathetic attempt to put themselves back on the map.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
eran_rathan wrote:And then the four Hobbits return to the Shire, to find Wario has turned all the Hobbits into Cybermen, and they have to fight in an epic battle involving kaiju & mecha - that's how it ends, right?

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:44 pm UTC

I was wandering around the estate of an old English manor and came across a football team posing for a nude calendar.

(This was not a dream)
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:14 am UTC

Something about Jordan Peterson and a radio signal coming from inside a submarine that was launched from inside a house

Edit: This morning I dreamed I hadn't done a whole lot of homework that I was supposed to do for an online class.

The Snide Sniper

Postby The Snide Sniper » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:03 pm UTC

Some drama about a bed covered in garlic. Near the end, I was nostalgic over seeing the bottom of the bathtub (which apparently is different from the one I see in the shower every day). Then, I realized that I could take over my brother's body. I remember exactly what the method was, and it made perfect sense in the dream. It wasn't until a minute or so after I woke up that I realized how ridiculous it was.
Also known as "RamenChef" on various other fora.
Me on: Drawception | Explain xkcd | NationStates | The Sluggite Zone | Stack Overflow

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:09 pm UTC

Ok, I've decided I'm writing this for real (I already dreamt I wrote this one from last night up, this morning)… Fragmentary to the whole adventure as it is.

For some reason, we need to fight off these Lego spaceships, that a friend (acting as GM in the 'game', though it seemed more important than mere games) had let loose on us. We had little Lego blasters to do it. At the most basic, the element of the 'gun' that worked was a flat-brick with a button-top you could squeeze that lit a LED/laser-thingy in it. Probably piezoelectrically-mediated conversion of pressure to light.

The spaceships, I worked out, had equivalent flat-plates with an optoreceptive window (or three, for the more complex bricks with multiple disruptive edges) that took a properly aimed 'blaster' flash's light and reconverted into a small but tenacious worm-geared shifting of part of the block. It effectively reversed the pressure-to-light as light-to-pressure. With impossibly high conversion rate (practically near unity, once you go past the 'virtual' gearing between the limited give of the button that needs pumping and the larger give of the output that moves several pips'-worth inexorably outwards) and yet with tuned sensitivity (only the blaster-light activated the mechanical movement).

Pump the blaster-button and you cause the Lego to disassemble/fall apart due to the receiver element's disruption. But there were multiple (at a minimum three at a time) of these things flying (how? Probably similar techno-magic, which I didn't question too deeply, unlike the destructo-mechanism…) at us, and multiple waves. Maybe the crumbled models were rebuilt. I got a lot of practice in while experimentally determining the facts I ultimately got to know behind the scenario.

Return to “General”