In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:42 pm UTC

Saying every element in a given set shares a property is different than saying ONLY element in that set have that property. For example, the statement "Every bird lays eggs," is not equivalent to the statement, "Only birds lay eggs."

User avatar
Coyne
Posts: 1022
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:07 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Coyne » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:05 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Be careful skipping over the critiques. They're a potential tripping hazard, especially as they're only ankle high and installed right next to the knee-high 'guard rails' by the buckets full of ebola.

The critiques bite ankles, too.
In all fairness...

User avatar
Yablo
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:57 am UTC
Location: Juneau, Alaska

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Yablo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:09 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:Be careful skipping over the critiques. They're a potential tripping hazard, especially as they're only ankle high and installed right next to the knee-high 'guard rails' by the buckets full of ebola.

The critiques bite ankles, too.

"A critique? What are you giving him a critique for? It might bite him."

"What?"

"That's a dangerous animal. Quick! Throw it in the trough."
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

User avatar
ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb
Posts: 716
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby ObsessoMom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:31 pm UTC

Dublin’s Sweep of Public Mural Removals Prompts Wave of New Artworks

"The sweep of mural removals began in late 2017, despite previous successful collaborations between DCC and Subset, as cited in the Irish Times. Although the murals are created on private property and with explicit permission from property owners, under current law the artists are still required to apply for permits for each painting. These permitting fees are calculated by square meter, and can cost thousands of euros.

[...]In response, members of the Subset collective have teamed up with other artists to paint new murals throughout Dublin, with a goal of adding twenty five new works. Some are vibrantly colored, drawing attention to the role that such large-scale public artworks play in enlivening urban environments. Others feature grey palettes in solidarity with the #greyareaproject hashtag, which is being used to unite the pro-mural movement.


Example:

Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9828
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby addams » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:23 pm UTC

Oh, ObsessoMom!
Thank You!

The Irish sense of Color is so Lively.
I enjoyed the article you left here.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 3270
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:41 pm UTC


jewish_scientist
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby jewish_scientist » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:33 pm UTC

I first read Swaziland as Switzerland. I like it my way more.

Mutex
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Mutex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:43 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:I first read Swaziland as Switzerland.

Which is precisely why the king decided to rename his country, funnily enough.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 3270
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:48 pm UTC

Now we just need all the cantons to pass by referenda the agreement to change Switzerland to eSwitzini, or similar.

(Also, something something something Austria and Australia something something something.)

User avatar
Yablo
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:57 am UTC
Location: Juneau, Alaska

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Yablo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:48 pm UTC

I wonder if Mauritania or Mauritius will follow eSwatini and eSwitzini's lead. Or maybe Niger and Nigeria, or Libya and Liberia. As long as Chad stays Chad.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 3270
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:50 pm UTC

That last one will definitely be left hanging.

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Sableagle » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:50 pm UTC

Norway's high school graduates should refrain from running naked across bridges and having sex on roundabouts lest they give drivers "too much of a surprise", the national transport regulator has said.

In a statement titled "No to sex on roundabouts", Terje Moe Gustavsen, a former minister of transport who now runs the Public Roads Administration, said: "Everyone understands that being in and around roundabouts is a traffic hazard," .

"It may not be so dangerous for someone to be without clothes on the bridge, but drivers can get too much of a surprise and completely forget that they are driving," he added.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7415
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Zamfir » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:58 pm UTC

Also, something something something Austria and Australia something something something.)

Thats why it's called "Oesterreich". Since 976. I did not forget a 1.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 9856
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:39 pm UTC

Is that where the Easter bunny lives the rest of the year?

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Sableagle » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:13 am UTC

It is the Empire of the Easter Bunny. It has stood for centuries, and its towers shall outlast us all.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
ColletArrow
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 pm UTC
Location: Stuck at NP 774

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby ColletArrow » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 pm UTC

These were both on the BBC News homepage today:

Dog's 'cancer' turns out to be four teddy bears

A sick St Bernard dog whose owners feared she could have cancer was found to have eaten four teddy bears instead.

Eight-year-old Maisy had a CT scan which showed an unusually full stomach and a mass on her spleen, which led her vet to diagnose possible cancer. During an operation to remove the spleen, Wakefield-based vet Nick Blackburn found the soft toys in her stomach. Mr Blackburn said "this was not something we were expecting to find".

Nottingham mum 'goes bananas' over Asda's £930 bill

A slip-up by supermarket Asda in an online order saw a woman charged £930 for a single banana.

Bobbie Gordon, from Sherwood in Nottingham, said she was shocked to be billed £930.11 for the piece of fruit - instead of 11p. It prompted her credit card company's fraud team to stop the payment going through, and text her about the more than £1,000 bill. Ms Gordon said Asda has apologised for the "computer error".


The first seems not uncommon, but at least now all's well. The second is just bizarre; how could such an error have occurred?

User avatar
Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.
Posts: 1112
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:11 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Liri » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:39 pm UTC

Maybe the cashier putting in the order entered the PLU code instead of the price.
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 3270
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:00 pm UTC

https://youtu.be/aSEOvbUzvKQ

(In answer to the above.)

User avatar
Coyne
Posts: 1022
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:07 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Coyne » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:30 am UTC

Liri wrote:Maybe the cashier putting in the order entered the PLU code instead of the price.

Or maybe failed to enter between prices 9.30 and .11.

When you really get an amazing price is when they enter the UPC in the price field, yielding something like $4,710,160,012.00.
In all fairness...

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Sableagle » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:15 am UTC

Asda also had a computer error with a new product a few years ago. The new product was a 350 g chicken kebab. These were delivered in cases of 12, total case mass about 5 kg because of packaging and case dimensions roughly 30 x 20 x 10 cm. When the product was added to their goods handling system, someone entered 350 instead of 5 and didn't know the dimensions, so the system happily added a new product with a mass of 350 kg and the default volume of 1 litre. Age 8, programming a BBC Micro, I'd have included a check on the entered numbers and my software would have told the bod entering that figure to try again. I like to think it would also have squeaked about the implied density of that object because https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/meta ... -d_50.html and https://theconstructor.org/building/den ... als/13531/ say NOPE. What, 500 times the density of teak, 50 times the density of stainless steel, 15 times the density of iridium? There are things less dense than iridium that should not be assembled in 350 kg pr even 1 litre lumps. The system they were using, though, saved some lines of code by not bothering to check for ludicrous input, and assigned one cargo trolley to each case of their new product, requiring several extra articulated lorries to move it.
This problem was overcome by the simple expedient of merging those cargo trolleys on the system, which had checked for load limits when assigning boxes to trolleys but did not do the same check when combining trolleys.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 3270
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:01 pm UTC

Would you go on an expedition with this guy? So he survives, but he also seems to suffer more than his fair share of danger…

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9828
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby addams » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:35 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Would you go on an expedition with this guy? So he survives, but he also seems to suffer more than his fair share of danger…
That's both funny and sobering.
We are each at high risk doing what we do.

Sitting indoors looking at a screen has its risks.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
pogrmman
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:53 pm UTC
Location: Probably outside

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby pogrmman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:16 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Would you go on an expedition with this guy? So he survives, but he also seems to suffer more than his fair share of danger…


I totally would. Outdoorsy stuff always comes with a risk — there’s no avoiding that. If you spend enough time doing the kind of stuff he does, you’re gonna run into some problems. Sure, it won’t necessarily be animal attacks (for most people), but there’ll always be something.

User avatar
Yablo
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:57 am UTC
Location: Juneau, Alaska

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Yablo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:46 pm UTC

ColletArrow wrote:
Nottingham mum 'goes bananas' over Asda's £930 bill

Bobbie Gordon, from Sherwood in Nottingham, said she was shocked to be billed £930.11 for the piece of fruit - instead of 11p.

Where's Robin Hood when you need him?
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

User avatar
ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb
Posts: 716
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby ObsessoMom » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:56 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Now we just need all the cantons to pass by referenda the agreement to change Switzerland to eSwitzini, or similar.

(Also, something something something Austria and Australia something something something.)

A somewhat relevant news item last week:

Australians struggle to pronounce the word 'Australia' correctly

User avatar
pogrmman
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:53 pm UTC
Location: Probably outside

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby pogrmman » Tue May 01, 2018 1:36 pm UTC

I didn’t know whether to put this here or not — but, to nobody’s surprise, TX Republicans are keeping with their agenda of rolling back every decision by the Austin city council. It always cracks me up how these proponents of “states’ rights” with their dislike of thefederal government turn around and do the exact same their rhetoric is about to local cities. It’s like clockwork — every time the legislature meets, you know part of the agenda will be undoing local ordinances. Aren’t they supposed to support local control and not act like big government?

Granted, it is depressing that anybody is trying to fight an increase in paid sick leave. But it doesn’t even seem like they’ve got grounds for it in court! They’re saying it conflicts with the stage-wide minimum wage law... It’s just doing their normal fear, panic, and outrage over what goes on in Austin.

jewish_scientist
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue May 01, 2018 3:47 pm UTC

In reality the are libertarians who are not brave enough to openly admit it. They are against a power federal government, because they are against any powerful government.

They may have standing in court if the argue that the City Counsel is relying on annulment, which is the idea that small government that are part of a large government can annul the laws of the larger government. The Supreme Court has stuck annulment down as unconstitutional several times. The Counsel would have to counter that they were adding to and not subtracting from Texas law.

User avatar
pogrmman
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:53 pm UTC
Location: Probably outside

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby pogrmman » Tue May 01, 2018 4:30 pm UTC

They aren’t against a powerful state government though — as long as they use it to suppress the dissenting views. The real reason they hate all of Austin’s policies is because it’s the only big city in TX where a majority of white people vote for Democrats. Pretty much everywhere else in the state, it’s “minorities” (in quotes because they are more like a plurality now) who vote Democratic, and a majority of white people vote Republican. While this is from 2014, only 26% of (non-Hispanic) white people in TX are Democrats. In Austin, that’s certainly not the case — in Travis County, non-Hispanic whites only stopped being an absolute majority a few years ago. It’s still quite white for TX, but it’s consistently voted for the Democrats in an overwhelming fashion.

I don’t think they could effectively argue annulment — from Paxton’s statement, it seems like they’re gonna argue that setting the minimum wage is a task that only should fall upon the state legislature, and cities have no right to supplement it, and that mandating sick leave is equivalent to a change in minimum wage.

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3874
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Dauric » Tue May 01, 2018 4:36 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:In reality the are libertarians who are not brave enough to openly admit it. They are against a power federal government, because they are against any powerful government.

They may have standing in court if the argue that the City Counsel is relying on annulment, which is the idea that small government that are part of a large government can annul the laws of the larger government. The Supreme Court has stuck annulment down as unconstitutional several times. The Counsel would have to counter that they were adding to and not subtracting from Texas law.


The irony of course is that preventing a proper government from exercising power, ostensibly in the name of individual self-determination and local control, leaves a power vacuum which gets filled by corporate interests. This flavor of libertarian will rail against the big-bad federal government, and then utterly fail to notice how they're being effectively 'governed' (through proxy-by-lobbyist) by a corporation just as far away and just as divorced from local interests.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1704
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Quercus » Tue May 01, 2018 4:56 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
jewish_scientist wrote:In reality the are libertarians who are not brave enough to openly admit it. They are against a power federal government, because they are against any powerful government.

They may have standing in court if the argue that the City Counsel is relying on annulment, which is the idea that small government that are part of a large government can annul the laws of the larger government. The Supreme Court has stuck annulment down as unconstitutional several times. The Counsel would have to counter that they were adding to and not subtracting from Texas law.


The irony of course is that preventing a proper government from exercising power, ostensibly in the name of individual self-determination and local control, leaves a power vacuum which gets filled by corporate interests. This flavor of libertarian will rail against the big-bad federal government, and then utterly fail to notice how they're being effectively 'governed' (through proxy-by-lobbyist) by a corporation just as far away and just as divorced from local interests.


Was just about to come here to say this. I'm not particularly comfortable with the government having power over my life, but I'm a hell of a lot more comfortable with that than the idea of corporations having equivalent power over my life.

User avatar
pogrmman
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:53 pm UTC
Location: Probably outside

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby pogrmman » Tue May 01, 2018 5:50 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
Dauric wrote:
jewish_scientist wrote:In reality the are libertarians who are not brave enough to openly admit it. They are against a power federal government, because they are against any powerful government.

They may have standing in court if the argue that the City Counsel is relying on annulment, which is the idea that small government that are part of a large government can annul the laws of the larger government. The Supreme Court has stuck annulment down as unconstitutional several times. The Counsel would have to counter that they were adding to and not subtracting from Texas law.


The irony of course is that preventing a proper government from exercising power, ostensibly in the name of individual self-determination and local control, leaves a power vacuum which gets filled by corporate interests. This flavor of libertarian will rail against the big-bad federal government, and then utterly fail to notice how they're being effectively 'governed' (through proxy-by-lobbyist) by a corporation just as far away and just as divorced from local interests.


Was just about to come here to say this. I'm not particularly comfortable with the government having power over my life, but I'm a hell of a lot more comfortable with that than the idea of corporations having equivalent power over my life.


Same here. The crazy level of power some corporations are amassing is unsettling, to say the least. And of all the levels of government having power over my life, I much prefer local than state or federal — my voice actually matters a lot more at the local level and the people in local government have a better idea of what is wanted/needed than people at the state or federal levels ever could. Sure, all the levels are necessary, but rolling back local power in favor of state, federal, and (worst of all) corporate power is certainly not what I want.

Personally, I think we should be persuing more antitrust enforcement and regulation — between individual excessively large companies and the cooperation of smaller ones (like with internet service), the average American is getting screwed over more and more.

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1704
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Quercus » Tue May 01, 2018 6:10 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:Personally, I think we should be persuing more antitrust enforcement and regulation — between individual excessively large companies and the cooperation of smaller ones (like with internet service), the average American is getting screwed over more and more.


Personally I think we should be abandoning incorporation entirely and running businesses as (privately managed, not state controlled) workers (and possibly customers) cooperatives, but then I'm a filthy socialist (who'd love to be an anarcho-communist if I could ever convince myself it would work in the real world).

But yeah, antitrust regulation is a good start (and would probably be necessary even in my ideal world)

jewish_scientist
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue May 01, 2018 6:40 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:I don’t think they could effectively argue annulment — from Paxton’s statement, it seems like they’re gonna argue that setting the minimum wage is a task that only should fall upon the state legislature, and cities have no right to supplement it, and that mandating sick leave is equivalent to a change in minimum wage.

I said that was their best argument; I never said they were smart enough to use it. Now that I think about it, I think I know why they are going another way. Republicans have a record of supporting annulment. I remember them doing it a lot with regard to Obama-Care, but I can not find an article on it.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 3270
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Soupspoon » Tue May 01, 2018 7:33 pm UTC

The mention (in other words) of a Corporatocracy supplanting government as we know it puts me in mind of the (written almost-pre-Web!) world of Snow Crash.

User avatar
pogrmman
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:53 pm UTC
Location: Probably outside

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby pogrmman » Tue May 01, 2018 7:42 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
pogrmman wrote:Personally, I think we should be persuing more antitrust enforcement and regulation — between individual excessively large companies and the cooperation of smaller ones (like with internet service), the average American is getting screwed over more and more.


Personally I think we should be abandoning incorporation entirely and running businesses as (privately managed, not state controlled) workers (and possibly customers) cooperatives, but then I'm a filthy socialist (who'd love to be an anarcho-communist if I could ever convince myself it would work in the real world).

But yeah, antitrust regulation is a good start (and would probably be necessary even in my ideal world)


Everything being a workers cooperative would be nice. Sure, there are benefits to incorporation (especially for small businesses), but idk how I feel about it. I guess that’s kind of hypocritical because my friends and I have built a product, have interested potential customers, and are planning to incorporate soonish. Given my position, I have to appreciate the capitalist system — it’s definately put me in a great place, but it’s certaibly not the most ethical or moral way of doing things (so I’m not really much of a fan).

Two of my strongest beliefs though are that we need antitrust regulation and that corporations should not be treated like people.

jewish_scientist wrote:
pogrmman wrote:I don’t think they could effectively argue annulment — from Paxton’s statement, it seems like they’re gonna argue that setting the minimum wage is a task that only should fall upon the state legislature, and cities have no right to supplement it, and that mandating sick leave is equivalent to a change in minimum wage.

I said that was their best argument; I never said they were smart enough to use it. Now that I think about it, I think I know why they are going another way. Republicans have a record of supporting annulment. I remember them doing it a lot with regard to Obama-Care, but I can not find an article on it.


I think quite a lot depends on venue — if it’s argued in Travis County, the city will win. If it’s argued at the state level, it depends on which state court it goes to — because of the partisan elections we’ve got for judges, they vary a lot. I think this might go all the way to the state Supreme Court — it just smells like the kind of case that will keep being appealed if they lose.

Re: Snow Crash, that’s one of my favorite books. You’re right about the corporatocracy aspect of it.

EDIT: Sorry this kept changing, I’m on mobile and hit submit before I was done posting...

idonno
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:34 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby idonno » Wed May 02, 2018 3:55 am UTC

Quercus wrote:Personally I think we should be abandoning incorporation entirely and running businesses as (privately managed, not state controlled) workers (and possibly customers) cooperatives, but then I'm a filthy socialist (who'd love to be an anarcho-communist if I could ever convince myself it would work in the real world).

Unless you outlawed trade between cooperatives (which would have some pretty negative economic consequences) I'm pretty sure you would just end up with wealthy elite cooperatives contracting out work to poorer cooperatives rather than letting the poorer working class people into their cooperative. So probably not that different from corporate boards and unions.

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1704
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Quercus » Wed May 02, 2018 7:05 am UTC

idonno wrote:
Quercus wrote:Personally I think we should be abandoning incorporation entirely and running businesses as (privately managed, not state controlled) workers (and possibly customers) cooperatives, but then I'm a filthy socialist (who'd love to be an anarcho-communist if I could ever convince myself it would work in the real world).

Unless you outlawed trade between cooperatives (which would have some pretty negative economic consequences) I'm pretty sure you would just end up with wealthy elite cooperatives contracting out work to poorer cooperatives rather than letting the poorer working class people into their cooperative. So probably not that different from corporate boards and unions.


My initial reaction to this would be to go straight back to the fundamental principle behind this idea: that those that do the work should get the reward. Something like: if you contract with another cooperative you have to give them shares, not just money, therefore if you try to get rich by others work rather than your own you end up losing control of your rich cooperative to the those that are doing the work.

I can see real problems with this when it comes to international contracting and trade, that I'm not sure how to solve... If anyone has any ideas?

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 9856
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 02, 2018 1:14 pm UTC

You dont solve it. You do what's proven to work, neo-Keynesian economics such as Sweden or Norway.


I'm all in favor of workers getting together and forming their own business; Valve is my go to example of the very best managed company. We should definitely encourage it, there's less abuse. Well not quite true; no classist abuse but co ops are still made up of people and people are assholes, and unlike a regular Corp there isn't an HR department so it has the potential of being the good ol boys network on roids. But co ops shouldn't be mandatory.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6243
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby ucim » Wed May 02, 2018 1:52 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:My initial reaction to this would be to go straight back to the fundamental principle behind this idea: that those that do the work should get the reward.
That's all well and good, but how much work (and when) merits how much reward? Do proxies for work count? (If not, why not? After all, the work was done.) Is some work more valuable than other work? Does cleverness count for anything? Are some goods more valuable than other goods? What if the value of the {work|goods} changes over time?

It is these fundamental questions that make the answers complicated.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

jewish_scientist
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed May 02, 2018 3:02 pm UTC

I just realized something huge. Libertarianism is undeveloped Hobbian philosophy. Hobbs said that the reason people in the Natural State will inevitably surrender some rights in order to create a Social Contract is that man's greatest fear is the fear of death; all forms of government eventually rise out of this initial Social Contract. Libertarians say that the only role government can morally have is protecting its citizens and their property. In addition, Hobbs said that the Natural State is everyone pursuing their self interests and libertarians say that everyone pursuing their self interests is the best course of action.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EdgarJPublius, Tirear and 10 guests