Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

freezeblade

Re: Minecraft

Postby freezeblade » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:00 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:
freezeblade wrote:Older than that cobble castle near old spawn? Does anyone know who made that one?

There are two that I think fit this description: What is now know a Castle Clavey (formerly Narnia) and what is now known as Northern New Pigsyville (formerly Castle ???). I think Castle Clavey was started by __infinia__ soon but some days after than the first other buildings. The other castle is also from that early era. I don't have hard evidence that Rippy's UFO building is older, but seeing as the map was hosted by Rippy and presumably started as a SP map, I think it's likely. Or do you mean a different one entirely? There's also Castle Impenetrable reasonably near Spawn.

https://xkcd.flumble.nl/map/#overworld/0/14/-143/277/64 Is the one I'm talking about I think, I remember seeing it from the rain near spawn the first time I joined in. I think Roosevelt pointed it out to me when I was making the journey to Pandora from old spawn.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:45 pm UTC

That'd be Castle Impenetrable. That's not even one of my names, I found its name at the underground rail station. As I said, I don't have hard data (yet!), but I don't think it's the oldest building, but definitely one of them. There was a big rush of activity early 2011, then later again for the Pandora Expansion TM.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:53 am UTC

Arcology Update:

All the villager powered farms besides Wheat were broken. I'm not sure how it happened, but I have replaced the missing villagers and the farms are functioning again. Since I don't know why it happened this time, I can't guarantee it won't happen again, however I have added a villager transport system to make it easy to fix in the future.

I have also begun work on a gunpowder farm, it's currently producing about 1 stack every hour or two, I need more sticky pistons to improve it, which means I need more slime, so I'm using the gunpowder output for TNT to dig a slime farm, I think there should be some slime chunks near the arcology, that project is ongoing. If anyone wants to donate gunpowder/tnt to make that go faster, feel free, or slime/sticky pistons to improve the the gunpowder farm.

During construction of the gunpowder farm,t here was a period where mobs were spawning and dropping onto the iron farm, some got into the villager compartments and killed them all, using the new villager transport system, I have begun repopulating, the iron farm should be back online by the time I log off tonight.

I'm breeding more villagers, hoping to get some librarians with the new enchantments.

1.13 seems to have changed something that is making the gold farm work much better now, not sure what though.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:11 pm UTC

I noticed the broken farms at the Arcology, but couldn't fix it myself at the time because I wasn't sure how the villager breeding works exactly. Also donated the slime I had sitting around. I'm fairly sure we have gunpowder supplies sitting around somewhere, but the problem is, as always, that I have opened so many chests on the server, I don't really know anymore where I've found what. Unless you're looking for dragon eggs. I know exactly where you can find almost a chest full of dragon eggs. For that point in time far in the future when they will actually have a purpose, I guess. Anyway, my best guess for gunpowder supplies are the mob spawner near Spawn and the one at the copy of the Circle Fort west of Plains City.

I know of one slime chunk near Whittington, but unfortunately that space is already occupied by the Undergarden, so unless there's some super compact design that fits beneath it, no luck there.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:38 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I have also begun work on a gunpowder farm, it's currently producing about 1 stack every hour or two, I need more sticky pistons to improve it, which means I need more slime, so I'm using the gunpowder output for TNT to dig a slime farm, I think there should be some slime chunks near the arcology, that project is ongoing. If anyone wants to donate gunpowder/tnt to make that go faster, feel free, or slime/sticky pistons to improve the the gunpowder farm.

I have lots of gunpowder and slime from lots of fighting mobs in Mordor. Not sure TNT would be better/faster than just digging with a good pick. Anyway, how much sticky pistons/slime/tnt/gunpowder you looking for?

A generic mob farm should produce lots of all mob drops - not just gunpowder.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:27 pm UTC

Appreciate the offer, but Radorns contribution has gotten gunpowder production up to a reasonable speed.

With a bit of prep, TNT can be much faster for larger excavations. Also, significantly easier on the carpals.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:58 am UTC

To: mistermoses

Your forum name is apparently different from your Minecraft name so I couldn't send this as a PM. I hope you see this message.

Anyway, I dropped off for you:
  • 2 double chests of Sandstone
  • 1 chest with weapons, armor, tools, food (9 stacks of raw cod), and Iron blocks
  • 1 chest with some stuff I looted from a nearby Pyramid

It is located in your sheep pen since that was a safe place.

mrmoses

Postby mrmoses » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:12 pm UTC

Thanks!

Name is the same, but not :P

I should be on sometime this weekend and will get that stuff moved to the stadium locker room/storage, then hopefully get a few more rows of the curved stadium seating done with that sandstone. Thanks again!

Also, Phantoms are new to me and I just want to say that they are a bloody menace to nighttime construction.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:36 pm UTC

mrmoses wrote:Thanks!

Name is the same, but not :P

I should be on sometime this weekend and will get that stuff moved to the stadium locker room/storage, then hopefully get a few more rows of the curved stadium seating done with that sandstone. Thanks again!

Also, Phantoms are new to me and I just want to say that they are a bloody menace to nighttime construction.

It took me a while to figure it out, but phantoms only appear if you haven't slept in a few nights, go ahead and sleep in a bed and they won't come back for a few days. I've gotten so I keep a bed with me in my inventory for emergencies.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:35 am UTC

mrmoses wrote:Also, Phantoms are new to me and I just want to say that they are a bloody menace to nighttime construction.

I mentioned the phantoms here http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42156&start=9320#p4379834 before the upgrade.

After having played for a while now on 1.13 my opinion is still the same. I have been surprise attacked by them a couple times while up in Ganalef's area on the Mordor roof while typing in sign text or organizing some chests. I don't keep track of how long it's been since I slept - allegedly it's on the F3 screen but the times I've looked for it I haven't found it. If I'm near my current spawn point and I want to be out at night without the distractions of Phantoms I sleep very briefly so as not to trigger the advance to day.

I have hunted them many times on purpose from the Green. They're easy once you get the knack for how to combat them. Too bad the Membranes they drop aren't useful in quantity like many other mob drops are. How many Potions of Slow Falling will someone actually ever use??? Repairing Elytra with them is silly when Mending is far superior. I've probably got enough Membranes to last everyone on the server until the end of time.

As you mentioned, they're certainly a concern for nighttime builders - but sleeping however briefly will alleviate that.

The only thing that still bothers me is the impact that sleeping has on resetting the spawn point - which has no decent solution for those who do not want to change their spawn point. I should plan a walking trek after not sleeping for a long time solely for the experience of encountering Phantoms in an undeveloped landscape and learning to contend with normal mobs at the same time.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:05 pm UTC

Has one of the recent updates changed anything about mob-spawning? I have on multiple occasions now found Zombies in the crop farms at the Arcology, which according to everything I know of mob spawning rules shouldn't be possible.

This is probably what broke things earlier.

The new villager transport system makes replacing the villagers in the farms pretty easy, but I'd like to figure out what's causing the problem and fix it, so I don't have to keep replacing villagers.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:02 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Has one of the recent updates changed anything about mob-spawning? I have on multiple occasions now found Zombies in the crop farms at the Arcology, which according to everything I know of mob spawning rules shouldn't be possible.

Not that I'm aware of. There must be either some non-farmland low-light place for them to spawn, they are getting in/over from outside, or perhaps infecting the villagers without getting inside the farm.

[ EDIT: It doesn't count as as a village does it? That could allow zombie sieges. ]

I don't remember enough about how the farms are set up there, but perhaps I could go back and put another set of eyes on it to help figure it out. Were all farms effected or just some of them?

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:09 pm UTC

I haven't found zombies in every farm, but every farm lost villagers around the time of the 1.13 update, and zombies may have despawned without me catching them. Also, I've found full zombies in addition to zombie villagers, I don't think infected villagers can become full zombies.

As far as the design of the farms:
  • Each farm is completely enclosed in fences (As part of the villager transport system, I added a place where a rail goes in to each blocked by a fence gate, but this was a change made after the zombie problem was first noticed)
  • The farms are well lit, there should be only one block in the center with a light level low enough to spawn mobs,but this block is farmland with a fencegate over it and shouldn't be spawnable. The low-light farm block is part of the design, it registers to the farm villagers as an unplanted farm and attracts them to the collection point. Any crops planted there will pop out at the next block update (triggered by an adjacent pressure plate when they leave) so it stays unplanted.
  • Other than farm blocks, the only surfaces in the farm enclosures are water blocks covered by carpet, and the pressure plate at the collection point. I'm pretty sure none of these should be spawnable regardless of light level. Errant dirt blocks have been caused by me working in the farms at times, but I clean them up when noticed and the light level should prevent them from being spawnable anyway (the farms are too short for endermen to teleport in and destroy farmland).
  • The farms themselves are not considered villages (unless village detection mechanics changed) It's possible that they're included in the boundary of a village, but there should be enough vertical separation between the crop farms and the iron generator that it shouldn't be a problem. And if only part of the farm is in a village boundary, it causes easily identifiable problems in how the farm functions. I can't imagine an incidental village being close enough to completely encompass the farms.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Return to “Gaming”