Oh yeah, grapes/raisins/etc are WAYYYYY more toxic to dogs than chocolate.Quercus wrote:Edit: Also grapes and grape products apparently, which I didn't know:Grapes, raisins, sultanas, currants
Any quantity of these can be toxic. Cooking or baking doesn’t reduce the risk of poisoning.
Poisoning may initially result in vomiting and diarrhoea and subsequently in kidney failure (which may occur a few days after the initial effects).
Chocolate (really, the theobromine) if in small enough quantities usually the worst a dog will get is the shits (and, badly) so your biggest risk is dehydration but they tend to recover. So like if it was a Hershey bar, eh, Hershys is basically fake chocolate anyway there is very little theobromine. Americans call really shitty things chocolate!
OTOH, like, two grapes can kill a dog. Also watch apples that they don't get the core (seeds have cyanide and while not a ton, dogs are smaller and more easily affected!) but apple itself is fine.
Onions and garlic are also really bad for dogs.
Everyone hears about chocolate always, and while they shouldn't eat it, these other lesser spoken things tend to be far far worse. Perhaps in part due to because no one talks about it so no one pays attention to if their dog eats them?
Oh and in particular in herding breeds, MDRI mutation is a common drug resistant mutation that means ivermectin and other certain class drugs can easily kill. Knowledgable vets have trended away from ivermectin and other similar class drugs for dogs to 'be safe' as there are alternatives, but not all pay attention and there are times when ivermectin is the best option as well and they forget to think. But also your problem with herding breeds is cattle and livestock they herd, they can still be exposed and if they are MDRI, a little teeny exposure can be lethal (like, takes a chomp of cattle poo from one treated with ivermectin). I always recommend anyone who has a herding breed (BC, aussie, collies, mixes of, in particular) get the little test done if they dont know (easy cheap swab test kit you can send for on your own) because not all vets pay attention to what breed they are treating, and you should know!