The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:46 pm UTC

I prefer a more standard game.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:14 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:Quick question - is the reason Ghostbusters not filling up because people aren't as interested in a Reversi-type game? Or is everyone just busy?

I little of both.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:05 pm UTC

It sounded more popular at the end of the last game. Too soon?

If we don't get the players, I can flip the ideas to a standard game with a bit of rework.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:55 am UTC

Alright, I signed up with caveats again. Just need 1 more.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:01 am UTC

Sorry, I don't think I'll be able to commit to any new game for the next few months, due to wedding prep. I'll sign up as a replacement, but if I do end up replacing, expect low levels of activity comparable to my usual meta.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:35 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:Edit: What about Jurassic World? I think I could make that one fun.
+1 for Jurassic World. :)

Madge wrote:ohhhh don't do jurassic world because i'd have to come out of my sabbatical for it :shock:
:P

BoomFrog wrote:Alright, I signed up with caveats again because bessie is playing.
<3

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Sorry, I don't think I'll be able to commit to any new game for the next few months, due to wedding prep.
I officially approve of this reason!!! :D :D :D

And I think that the activity level for Ghostbusters will be lower than normal anyway. I know I am super busy this month too. All right, everyone, if mpolo is playing we need one more and we can start on Monday!

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:57 am UTC

bessie wrote:And I think that the activity level for Ghostbusters will be lower than normal anyway.
I can try to be the lurkiest lurker ever...

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:10 pm UTC

How spooky is your lurking? :)

Also, if everyone is busy, should we have extended deadlines or will that not help?

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:06 pm UTC

if i waas somehow convinced to play this upcoming game, extended deadlines would make the problem worse IMO; i'd personally imagine i'd be posting, realistically, 2 or 3 times per game day, and i'd be more motivated / urgent on posting if the days were shorter, if you get me.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:04 pm UTC

I'm also against extended deadlines.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:07 pm UTC

Madge wrote:if i waas somehow convinced to play this upcoming game, extended deadlines would make the problem worse IMO; i'd personally imagine i'd be posting, realistically, 2 or 3 times per game day, and i'd be more motivated / urgent on posting if the days were shorter, if you get me.

“Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.” --Samuel Johnson

Except for fortnight, read 5 days.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:17 pm UTC

thx moody you're a babe

basically i feel like regardless of how long the Days are, I'll post the same number of times each Day. I have noticed posting seems to increase a lot as deadline approaches.

i just came up with an idea but i'm going to PM it to Sabrar in case we want to use it for halloween
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:21 pm UTC

I'll have Jurassic World written over the next 1-2 weeks, not earlier (I won't have time to start on it until this Tuesday). So up to you guys if you want to play with what you've got or wait for it.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:42 pm UTC

In that case, I'll aim to start Monday night / Tuesday Morning with the 7 we've got, and I'll see about compacting the schedule instead.

(Wam, Freeze, Moody, Boomfrog, Bessie, Sabrar, Mpolo) with Jimbob as maybe replacement

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:24 pm UTC

Madge wrote:if i waas somehow convinced to play this upcoming game, extended deadlines would make the problem worse IMO; i'd personally imagine i'd be posting, realistically, 2 or 3 times per game day, and i'd be more motivated / urgent on posting if the days were shorter, if you get me.
Madge, if you really want to play, I think 2-3 substantial posts and a few quick check in posts each game day (of 5 RL days) should be ok. Looking at the player list, there's not a lot of wall-of-text heavy posters on it, if we believe this:
Sabrar wrote:I can try to be the lurkiest lurker ever...
Hahaha, good luck, about half the player list gets prodded at least once per game. :P

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:51 am UTC

I'd rather not feel guilty for impacting game balance if I don't do what I promise; I'll be a replacement though!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:52 pm UTC

bessie wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:Alright, I signed up with caveats again because bessie is playing.
<3

Literally true. <3

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:39 pm UTC

remember when we used to be in the same time zone, boomfrog? Those were the days!

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:26 pm UTC

Had a bit of trouble with Google services, but things are on track.
The dice are rolling and PMs will be out shortly.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:02 pm UTC

Madge wrote:remember when we used to be in the same time zone, boomfrog? Those were the days!

<Laughs in mad bomber>

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:50 am UTC

Madge wrote:remember when we used to be in the same time zone, boomfrog? Those were the days!

Well if you had moved to San Mateo you could have been in the same timezone as BoomFrog again. And me. And you would have been like 20 miles from freezeblade. But you didn't so BOO. You just made this post to tease me.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:19 pm UTC

bessie wrote:

Well if you had moved to San Mateo you could have been in the same timezone as BoomFrog again. And me. And you would have been like 20 miles from freezeblade. But you didn't so BOO. You just made this post to tease me.

My partner and I are discussing moving (back) to the west coast for a few years, probably either SF or San Diego (though I want to go back to Santa Monica). If that materializes, I'll let y'all know; if it does, it'll likely be in 1-2 years.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:20 pm UTC

Note: SF itself is the most expensive city to live in the USA, even more expensive than Manhattan. East bay has far cheaper rents, and SF is still super close by (10 min BART ride from my place in Berkeley).
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:57 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Note: SF itself is the most expensive city to live in the USA, even more expensive than Manhattan. East bay has far cheaper rents, and SF is still super close by (10 min BART ride from my place in Berkeley).

Yeah, I'm aware. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I work in Consulting / Strategy and mainly focus on Tech, so this is where I'd have the best opportunities. My partner is in medical research, and apparently there's work for her as well.

I did live in Palo Alto for a summer a few years ago, so I had the distinct (dis)pleasure of seeing just how bad rents are in the area.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:36 pm UTC

Does anybody know what mpolo is up to?
Profile says Monday was the last sighting here.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:35 pm UTC

bessie wrote:

Do you have a whole section in your spreadsheets of saved quotes on my crazy moving plans based on my husband's job prospects ? (still unemployed BTW. he was meant to have a job by six weeks ago. i'm beginning to wonder if i... maybe didn't pick a winner?)

feel free to add to it that he saw that animal charity evaluators was looking for an employee in england so now he's considering applying for that and also applying to live in the effective altruism hotel there to work there (i am not sure if he's even going to apply for this job, especially because he has three and a half applications out at the moment - job market in Perth is pretty horrible atm).

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:00 am UTC

dimochka wrote:My partner and I are discussing moving (back) to the west coast for a few years, probably either SF or San Diego (though I want to go back to Santa Monica). If that materializes, I'll let y'all know; if it does, it'll likely be in 1-2 years.
If you move to California again, we really must meet up this time!

SuicideJunkie wrote:Does anybody know what mpolo is up to?
Profile says Monday was the last sighting here.
Maybe send a follow-up pm, I don't always get all my email notifications from the forum.

Madge wrote:Do you have a whole section in your spreadsheets of saved quotes on my crazy moving plans based on my husband's job prospects ? (still unemployed BTW. he was meant to have a job by six weeks ago. i'm beginning to wonder if i... maybe didn't pick a winner?)
Don’t be silly. Your quotes would be much too difficult to manage as a spreadsheet. I have a Word document. But I did start a spreadsheet for your husband, with the information from your post.

bessies mafia files.jpg
bessies mafia files.jpg (30.82 KiB) Viewed 461 times

(And I'm sure you picked a winner! He'll find something soon!)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:34 am UTC

Lucky for you I'm pretty sure that fourth item is just padded with some embedded images to make it look bigger for this screenshot only. :lol:

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:01 am UTC

Its 10856 KB now.
Personally I'm wondering why the other one is only 57K. It is even worse if you know the unicode glyphs take up multiple bytes each.

Naggy PM fired.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:06 am UTC

you're hilarious Bessie I love you. <3

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:32 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:Its 10856 KB now.
SuicideJunkie wrote:Personally I'm wondering why the other one is only 57K.
I don't need as many words for that one.

Sabrar wrote:Lucky for you I'm pretty sure that fourth item is just padded with some embedded images to make it look bigger for this screenshot only. :lol:
I like how you don't even question the authenticity of the file, just the size. :P

And reminder, humans sleep occasionally.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:16 pm UTC

bessie wrote:
SuicideJunkie wrote:Personally I'm wondering why the other one is only 57K.
I don't need as many words for that one.

I'm very pithy. :mrgreen:

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:30 pm UTC

If they're real pls dump my crazy quotes it's about ME ME ME ME

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:26 pm UTC

I'm surprised there's not a huge "Freezeblade's mafia meta" file containing...oh so many games.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:28 pm UTC

i'm still operating under the assumption that she created several of those text files purely for humour reasons.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:20 pm UTC

Madge wrote:If they're real pls dump my crazy quotes it's about ME ME ME ME
That's the index; it won't contain any of the crazy quote text itself, and doesn't touch on any of the sensible quotes.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:27 pm UTC

bessie wrote:I like how you don't even question the authenticity of the file, just the size. :P
Oh I'm fully aware that the file is real...

bessie wrote:And reminder, humans sleep occasionally.
Tell me more about this concept you call 'sleep'. So far I haven't been able to quite grasp it. :wink:

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:35 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:...

Quote ping?

I'm sticking to my proton pack on the 7 player thing, especially because it hasn't started yet.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:09 pm UTC

PS:
If anyone wants to step in for mpolo, I can still unsend the role PM, and shift mpolo to a maybe-replacement slot.
Edit:
And Mpolo is back, so never mind the above.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:33 pm UTC

Madge wrote:i'm still operating under the assumption that she created several of those text files purely for humour reasons.

I'm now wondering if having a separate file in bessie's notes is an honour or not.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

Return to “Mafia”