The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby plytho » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:30 am UTC

bessie wrote:And plytho, let us know when you're back. We hopefully won't need a replacement, but unfortunately RL issues happen.
I'll be back around the 13th of august.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

wam

Postby wam » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:08 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm likely going to spend Sunday afternoon/evening working on the final setup for WoT 3. Please, if you haven't, send me your PM's. If any non-players have time to help with balance and/or flavour, please give me a shout, as my planned comod has taken a leave of absence...

Im home Thurs. Will do it then, if I forget just do mine randomly.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:31 am UTC

@LaserGuy: I am still thinking about this post. And I’m also thinking about Vicarin’s comment in the post following yours. Do you have a breakdown by factions, not just by town/non-town? I could work it out myself, but I thought I’d check and see if you already did it.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm likely going to spend Sunday afternoon/evening working on the final setup for WoT 3. Please, if you haven't, send me your PM's. If any non-players have time to help with balance and/or flavour, please give me a shout, as my planned comod has taken a leave of absence...
Ok everyone, you only have a couple days to sign up for Wheel of Time 3! Or volunteer to co mod! This is sure to be a very fun game, you won’t want to miss it.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:46 am UTC

Something like this? Not positive I got them all correct, but should be pretty close (Diablo I think is wrong; should be 9-3-1-1-1, IIRC).

Spoiler:

The spreadsheet is here if you want to play around with the data.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:24 pm UTC

I'd call fridge 3 scum with a handicap. 2/1 seems like the scum weren't working together.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:30 am UTC

Jimbobmacdoodle, do you go by Jimbobular on Nintendo Switch by any chance?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:38 am UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:Jimbobmacdoodle, do you go by Jimbobular on Nintendo Switch by any chance?
I do not, no. I don't even own a Switch. In fact, I don't think I've even had the opportunity to play on one! I think jimbobmacdoodle is the only username I use anywhere of note.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:08 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:The spreadsheet is here if you want to play around with the data.
Why yes, I do want to play around with the data. How did you guess? I was thinking about Vicarin’s comment about three full scum being a break point, and about how this relates to three full scum on the same team (see also BoomFrog’s comment about working together in Fridge). I’m not sure that the size of the scum team in itself is as significant as other factors. I’ve thought for a long time that the most important ability in a game was chat (scum, mason, etc), and I need to work on this a bit to see how wins correlate with day chat (does scum with day chat have a higher win rate, what about town with confirmed mason chat, etc). Other game mechanics things to consider: hard vs. soft deadlines, extensions, no lynch, ties, replacements, etc.

I’ve also been thinking about some of your comments in your Meta Mafia QT notes.
LaserGuy Notes QT/75 wrote:One thing that bothers me about this site compared to other mafia sites I've played on is that people always drag out the days for the entire length. Please just vote so we can hammer and get this day over with. I don't want to have to do another week before getting lynched :?
Unless hammering is required for a lynch (and even if it is, see Crossover), players are going to use the entire time allotted, because it is beneficial to town, and ending the day early will be viewed as anti-town so scum will also be reluctant to hammer. You might be interested in this game, where AdamH used bankable deadlines, I think there were other games and that it was also discussed in Gojoe or the Meta thread but a quick search failed me. If town hammers, they can apply the unused time to extend later days.

EGW, you simply can not just appear out of nowhere and not talk about me me me! :P

BoomFrog, really? Do I look like someone that can be that easily manipulated? Hmm, my avatar is, um, oh yeah. Never mind, O Wise One.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:36 am UTC

With regards to town always wanting to use up the full time available, I think it was kind of funny that Stellaris D3 had town trying to rush the lynches near the end, with wam being the only person arguing to slow down a bit, and this in part helped wam get through to the end because noone was spending any more time analysing after each lynch what the situation must have been for the game to have not ended yet. While it does lead to days dragging out a bit, can't really blame town for trying to squeeze every drop of info out of the day.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:43 am UTC

More games with bankable deadlines: ThunderDome Mafia, Discordian Mafia, and Jester Mafia.

Brought it up here. Received little notice. Talked about turbo games around this point, mostly.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:29 pm UTC

Sorry guys, I've been busier today than I was expecting, and I doubt I'll get enough time during the week to do as much as I need to, so I don't anticipate the game starting until next weekend at the earliest.

dimochka will be co-modding hopefully. Please include him on any WoT-related PM's from now on.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:32 am UTC

Thanks Deva! I thought there was more discussion somewhere about bankable deadlines, but I could be misremembering because all those games were took place when I was still lurking. Maybe even before I was lurking.

jimbobmacdoodle, I’m disappointed, I won’t have an excuse for not bringing home work this week. :(

On the plus side, if there’s anyone else that thought they missed their opportunity to sign up for Wheel of Time 3, you have a few more days! :)

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:dimochka will be co-modding hopefully.
Hi dimochka! I'm so excited! :D

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 am UTC

Hm. Checked even further back. Mentioned bankable deadlines specifically in Gojoe earlier, apparently. Discusses deadlines occasionally. Centers around specific (five days) over vague (no deadline unless low participation) and overall game length due to long days. Spoke of players waiting for the full day length here, however.

Used them in Terminator Mafia (according to the sign-ups) and The Sailors of Sea Nine too.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:55 pm UTC

bessie wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:dimochka will be co-modding hopefully.
Hi dimochka! I'm so excited! :D

Hi! I'm back, at least somewhat. This will allow me to gauge how busy I really am during the day. Good to see you, bessie!
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

wam

Postby wam » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:58 pm UTC

Just a reminder I'm busy with limitedninternet for day 1 of wot.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:17 pm UTC

I'm back and need updates. When do we start WoT???

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:33 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:I'm back and need updates. When do we start WoT???

What’s your hurry?

Hmm, time since Sabrar’s played:
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180604T2342&p0=1440&font=cursive

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:47 pm UTC

That's way too long without mafia.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:24 pm UTC

Sorry guys, I've recently started a relationship, so my free time has taken a nose dive. However, this evening I put together a first-pass at the setup, and am just waiting on dimochka to take a look over. I'll put up the game rules post tomorrow, but role PMs might have to wait a day or two, depending on how long it takes me to write the flavour for them.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:48 am UTC

HOW DARE YOU???

Joking ofc, that's very nice. Best of luck with that!

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:28 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Sorry guys, I've recently started a relationship, so my free time has taken a nose dive.
:D :D :D I officially approve of your reason for the delay!

heuristically_alone wrote:That's way too long without mafia.
Woof. It’s almost a year in dog-time.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:14 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:HOW DARE YOU???
bessie wrote:
heuristically_alone wrote:That's way too long without mafia.
Woof. It’s almost a year in dog-time.
Sorry, not sorry. :lol:

Sabrar wrote:Joking ofc, that's very nice. Best of luck with that!

bessie wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Sorry guys, I've recently started a relationship, so my free time has taken a nose dive.
:D :D :D I officially approve of your reason for the delay!
Thanks all!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:38 pm UTC

She if they'll co mod with you. Nothing is more romantic.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:20 am UTC

WoT3

Spoiler:
So, I looked through the wiki jimbob linked to for my first choice, Brown Ajah, and I think it's basically Luna Lovegood. Wonder how that'll translate as a role.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:03 am UTC

LaserGuy, I'm so happy to see you put a newbie game in the queue! Perhaps we can make it an actual real newbie game and try to draw some newbies, or some players that would prefer a more casual game with lower time commitments than the recent games.

heuristically_alone wrote:She if they'll co mod with you. Nothing is more romantic.
Oh dear. heury, you and I need to talk. :lol:

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:09 am UTC

I will advertise the newbie game on reddit and my personal facebook page too! LET"S GET FRESH BLOOD

random aside: I ran into KrO2 on reddit last month randomly (if by randomly you mean that I linked one of the posts in his now-defunct blog and he saw it / saw referrals because of it / other). Turns out he would have been willing to replace in meta mafia in a pinch. So.... I think we need to get a rolodex of people who posted Back In THe Dark Ages of Five Years Ago to unexpectedly pounce on for replacement requests. Heh.

also, now i'm back from holiday and meta mafia is over, i've decided to change my avatar! i was getting sick of my old one so i decided to get a brand new one! i hope you all like it
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:00 pm UTC

ROLE-PM OR RIOT!!!!!! :lol:

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:01 pm UTC

*gets out torches and battering ram*
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:51 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
My private notes are here

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26 pm UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
So my secondary win condition is to never be the first in a day to accumulate 2 votes. Not too hard. I just have to vote for the same person the first voters votes. (As long as it's not me). I'm back up townie, so no powers until a townie dies. I'm in both blue and black ajah, but my loyalty is more to blue (if I read mu PM right). Now to see how townie I can be this game.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:36 am UTC

Edit: Wheel of Time 3 (WoT3)
Spoiler:
My secondary win is pretty rough. "Have a tie vote or no lynch while I'm alive." I'm going to be struggling to decide if it's worth reducing my prime win chances to get my secondary win. Best case I'm alive at MYLO. Who knows if we will get to MYLO or LYLO though. Also my main power is activated by not voting so voting to cause a tie is always bad for me. :(

Anyway, if LaserGuy is scum i'm dead N1 so I better get him lynched today if he is scum... :D
Last edited by BoomFrog on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:02 am UTC

WoT2 ended already, so can I read boomfrog's spoiler? ;)
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:27 am UTC

:lol:

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:38 am UTC

Those following Madge's personal life: tomorrow I start at my New Role, and I'll be doing fatal crash investigations! So apparently I'll be rocking up to the site of a fatal crash within 10 days of it happening, taking measurements of the road, photographing the site, etc and then writing a very detailed report talking about what the road was like and whether it contributed to the accident.

My manager-to-be also states I'll be learning how to inspect existing roads and intersections for safety issues and be given some serious training in becoming an "expert" in that. In a few months they're also hoping to get me onto something more engineer-y, coming up with ways to improve safety of large "programmes"/"sections" of roads.

In other news, I'll be reading WoT3 and trying to see if I can follow it and make "posts" as spoilers. Going to try and be the best replacement candidate ever :lol:
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:51 am UTC

WoT3
Spoiler:
I'm getting terrible RNG, once again I'm scum (Traitor) without knowing who my allies are. My ability is weird and I can't really see a good use for it at the moment. Probably best to keep it in reserve and try to fake a townie-claim with it if necessary.

Good luck Madge!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:26 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:WoT2 ended already, so can I read boomfrog's spoiler? ;)

*grumble* Kids these days, moving so fast, already on Wheel of Time 3 *grumble*

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:03 pm UTC

Request a 3 day postponing of wot3 start purely to annoy sabrar

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:04 pm UTC

(above isn't serious please start asap or I fear for my life)

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:32 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Request a 3 day postponing of wot3 start purely to annoy sabrar
I officially approve of this reason! :lol: :P

Wheel of Time 3
Spoiler:
I’m so excited! I love my role pm! I’m Sabrar (I’m an overconfident logician)! I should try to copy his meta for this game and see if anyone notices. Not sure if I can keep up with the post count though.

bessie’s WAG on roles, just because:

BoomFrog - gray
heuristically_alone - yellow
LaserGuy - green
Liri - yellow
Mark_Cangila - brown
moody7277 - brown
mpolo - blue
Sabrar - white
Vicarin - green
wam - random

bessie – If you can’t figure this out this is my first post that you’ve ever read.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:41 pm UTC

Vibrates patiently...

Return to “Mafia”