The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby plytho » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:30 am UTC

bessie wrote:And plytho, let us know when you're back. We hopefully won't need a replacement, but unfortunately RL issues happen.
I'll be back around the 13th of august.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

wam

Postby wam » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:08 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm likely going to spend Sunday afternoon/evening working on the final setup for WoT 3. Please, if you haven't, send me your PM's. If any non-players have time to help with balance and/or flavour, please give me a shout, as my planned comod has taken a leave of absence...

Im home Thurs. Will do it then, if I forget just do mine randomly.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:31 am UTC

@LaserGuy: I am still thinking about this post. And I’m also thinking about Vicarin’s comment in the post following yours. Do you have a breakdown by factions, not just by town/non-town? I could work it out myself, but I thought I’d check and see if you already did it.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm likely going to spend Sunday afternoon/evening working on the final setup for WoT 3. Please, if you haven't, send me your PM's. If any non-players have time to help with balance and/or flavour, please give me a shout, as my planned comod has taken a leave of absence...
Ok everyone, you only have a couple days to sign up for Wheel of Time 3! Or volunteer to co mod! This is sure to be a very fun game, you won’t want to miss it.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:46 am UTC

Something like this? Not positive I got them all correct, but should be pretty close (Diablo I think is wrong; should be 9-3-1-1-1, IIRC).

Spoiler:

The spreadsheet is here if you want to play around with the data.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:24 pm UTC

I'd call fridge 3 scum with a handicap. 2/1 seems like the scum weren't working together.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:30 am UTC

Jimbobmacdoodle, do you go by Jimbobular on Nintendo Switch by any chance?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:38 am UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:Jimbobmacdoodle, do you go by Jimbobular on Nintendo Switch by any chance?
I do not, no. I don't even own a Switch. In fact, I don't think I've even had the opportunity to play on one! I think jimbobmacdoodle is the only username I use anywhere of note.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:08 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:The spreadsheet is here if you want to play around with the data.
Why yes, I do want to play around with the data. How did you guess? I was thinking about Vicarin’s comment about three full scum being a break point, and about how this relates to three full scum on the same team (see also BoomFrog’s comment about working together in Fridge). I’m not sure that the size of the scum team in itself is as significant as other factors. I’ve thought for a long time that the most important ability in a game was chat (scum, mason, etc), and I need to work on this a bit to see how wins correlate with day chat (does scum with day chat have a higher win rate, what about town with confirmed mason chat, etc). Other game mechanics things to consider: hard vs. soft deadlines, extensions, no lynch, ties, replacements, etc.

I’ve also been thinking about some of your comments in your Meta Mafia QT notes.
LaserGuy Notes QT/75 wrote:One thing that bothers me about this site compared to other mafia sites I've played on is that people always drag out the days for the entire length. Please just vote so we can hammer and get this day over with. I don't want to have to do another week before getting lynched :?
Unless hammering is required for a lynch (and even if it is, see Crossover), players are going to use the entire time allotted, because it is beneficial to town, and ending the day early will be viewed as anti-town so scum will also be reluctant to hammer. You might be interested in this game, where AdamH used bankable deadlines, I think there were other games and that it was also discussed in Gojoe or the Meta thread but a quick search failed me. If town hammers, they can apply the unused time to extend later days.

EGW, you simply can not just appear out of nowhere and not talk about me me me! :P

BoomFrog, really? Do I look like someone that can be that easily manipulated? Hmm, my avatar is, um, oh yeah. Never mind, O Wise One.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:36 am UTC

With regards to town always wanting to use up the full time available, I think it was kind of funny that Stellaris D3 had town trying to rush the lynches near the end, with wam being the only person arguing to slow down a bit, and this in part helped wam get through to the end because noone was spending any more time analysing after each lynch what the situation must have been for the game to have not ended yet. While it does lead to days dragging out a bit, can't really blame town for trying to squeeze every drop of info out of the day.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:43 am UTC

More games with bankable deadlines: ThunderDome Mafia, Discordian Mafia, and Jester Mafia.

Brought it up here. Received little notice. Talked about turbo games around this point, mostly.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:29 pm UTC

Sorry guys, I've been busier today than I was expecting, and I doubt I'll get enough time during the week to do as much as I need to, so I don't anticipate the game starting until next weekend at the earliest.

dimochka will be co-modding hopefully. Please include him on any WoT-related PM's from now on.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:32 am UTC

Thanks Deva! I thought there was more discussion somewhere about bankable deadlines, but I could be misremembering because all those games were took place when I was still lurking. Maybe even before I was lurking.

jimbobmacdoodle, I’m disappointed, I won’t have an excuse for not bringing home work this week. :(

On the plus side, if there’s anyone else that thought they missed their opportunity to sign up for Wheel of Time 3, you have a few more days! :)

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:dimochka will be co-modding hopefully.
Hi dimochka! I'm so excited! :D

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 am UTC

Hm. Checked even further back. Mentioned bankable deadlines specifically in Gojoe earlier, apparently. Discusses deadlines occasionally. Centers around specific (five days) over vague (no deadline unless low participation) and overall game length due to long days. Spoke of players waiting for the full day length here, however.

Used them in Terminator Mafia (according to the sign-ups) and The Sailors of Sea Nine too.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Return to “Mafia”