Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Re: Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Postby Sableagle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:08 pm UTC

How big a sacrifice? These were not the pizzas I was looking for:

Spoiler:

Somewhere, a dentist and a dietician are having a screaming competition.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:19 pm UTC

And then shovelling Smarties pizza into their face while sobbing bitter tears.

(Soon to be sweet tears as the sugar level in every fluid in their body rises to 20%)

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:06 pm UTC

That strawberry-kiwi one would be awesome.

Strawberries + kiwi + cream cheese on a sugar cookie = wininfinity
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:08 pm UTC

So...
English has a word for a child who lost their parents; orphan.
English has a word for a wife who lost her husband; widow (and widower for the reverse).
English DOES NOT have a word for a parent who lost their children.

What is this word, and why doesn't it exist? There is a (very tiny) movement to get the word "vilharo" entered into the English language. Ostensibly, it means "against [the] order" in Sanskrit.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:29 pm UTC

Also if two men are married, one of them dies, is the other one a widow or a widower?

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:39 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:English DOES NOT have a word for a parent who lost their children.
I'd say "bereaved parent".
Mutex wrote:Also if two men are married, one of them dies, is the other one a widow or a widower?
Widower. It's just a female/male distinction - it has nothing to do with the gender of the partner.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
eran_rathan wrote:And then the four Hobbits return to the Shire, to find Wario has turned all the Hobbits into Cybermen, and they have to fight in an epic battle involving kaiju & mecha - that's how it ends, right?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:48 pm UTC

As a child, I thought a widower was (logically!) someone who had widowed someone, i.e. the man who had died to make a woman a widow. I thought it was a joke, then, to hear a live man called a widower.

On the topic of words English may or may not have: can anyone thing of an adjective of a person that means they have a good memory? Something akin to "rememberful", but an actual word people use. The closest I can think of is "retentive" but that seems ambiguous out of context and in context seems more like it applies to the person's memory rather than the person themselves.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:41 pm UTC

Autistic?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:51 pm UTC

I can't tell if you're just making a terrible joke or not, but that doesn't mean anything remotely like "has a good memory".

addams

Postby addams » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:57 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:English DOES NOT have a word for a parent who lost their children.
Mutex wrote:Also if two men are married, one of them dies, is the other one a widow or a widower?
Widower. It's just a female/male distinction - it has nothing to do with the gender of the partner.
ah...
Flicky; You are Bright and Quick.
That is the right combination of words.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:59 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I can't tell if you're just making a terrible joke or not, but that doesn't mean anything remotely like "has a good memory".
I have to admit it was the first word that jumped into my mind too. (But there's a difference between thinking it and posting it...)
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
eran_rathan wrote:And then the four Hobbits return to the Shire, to find Wario has turned all the Hobbits into Cybermen, and they have to fight in an epic battle involving kaiju & mecha - that's how it ends, right?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:20 pm UTC

FWIW I'm looking for something like how a person with good attention is attentive, a person with good focus is focused, a person with good dedication is dedicated, a person with good memory is... memor... able? no... iful? that's not a word... what?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:24 pm UTC

"Has a good memory" may be the only option that doesn't need inventing.

There's "sharp" but that usually indicates intelligence as well.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

If lemons and limes are good enough for 7-Up then they're good enough for fuckin'. That's my motto.
- pseudoidiot

That's inzest.
- ObsessoMom

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:26 pm UTC

Unforgetful?
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:46 pm UTC

Googling says "heedful" or "reliable".

New User

Postby New User » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:58 pm UTC

I'd say heedful means someone can listen well. Reliable means someone that can be relied upon, or someone who can be trusted.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:32 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:

"Bereaved" has a problem, because a person who lost one of fifteen children (or even a spouse) could be said to be bereaved.

"Childless" describes the condition accurately, but not the loss. Which raises the question whether or not there's a need for distinction between people who never had children and people who lost their children.
In all fairness...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:13 am UTC

I'm also not sure how to treat the, say, 30 year old woman who lost her only child, but then later has two more. Does she cease to be a "vilharo"?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:40 am UTC

Is a woman whose husband died but who later remarried not a widow anymore? (parallels parent who had more kids)

Is there any need to distinguish between a woman whose husband has died and a woman who has never had a husband? (parallels the difference between parents who lost children and parents who never had them)

If a woman is in a group marriage and one of her husbands dies, is she a widow or not? (parallels parents who lost one of several children)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:49 am UTC

If a widow remarries, shes no longer a widow the same way shes no longer a divorcee if divorced instead. In group marriages, no, not a widow if a husband remains, but group marriages like that aren't really commonplace in the west.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:56 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Is there any need to distinguish between a woman whose husband has died and a woman who has never had a husband? (parallels the difference between parents who lost children and parents who never had them)

Traditionally, there was, yes. It was distinction between virgin and not, between a woman who might compromise the male estate or not.

Read this, which expands on the story of Boaz and Ruth in the Bible, with special attention to the legal implications for Naomi and Boaz. Dumb as the law was, there was clearly a difference between a widow and not, from the perspective of Boaz.

I believe the use of the word widower is derived, not original.
In all fairness...

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:40 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:FWIW I'm looking for something like how a person with good attention is attentive, a person with good focus is focused, a person with good dedication is dedicated, a person with good memory is... memor... able? no... iful? that's not a word... what?

How about memorious? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funes_the_Memorious

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:20 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:On the topic of words English may or may not have: can anyone thing of an adjective of a person that means they have a good memory? Something akin to "rememberful", but an actual word people use. The closest I can think of is "retentive" but that seems ambiguous out of context and in context seems more like it applies to the person's memory rather than the person themselves.

Surely in context, saying someone is retentive and saying their memory is retentive are one and the same. Only thing is it tends to apply to learning information rather than day-to-day actions. If you said someone who always remembers their wallet and keys was retentive, it'd seem as if you're referring to the properties of their pockets and not their lack of forgetfulness.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:14 pm UTC

TIL that the automated system that calls me with flood warnings does actually call me with flood warnings. "Immediate action required," it said. I'm going to go and take a look.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:35 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:TIL that the automated system that calls me with flood warnings does actually call me with flood warnings. "Immediate action required," it said. I'm going to go and take a look.

Did you get an actual call, or was it a message on a smartphone? I think we have both, but I’m only familiar with the smartphone ones (for tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, flash floods, amber alerts, etc...)

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:06 pm UTC

Got a phone call, picked up, said nothing, got an automated voice telling me there was a flood warning for the river, immediate action was required and to check the website for more info.

I suppose the pics are worthless without the dry-weather versions for comparison. There's supposed to be a two-step weir in one of them, though.
Attachments
P4030016b.JPG

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:28 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:FWIW I'm looking for something like how a person with good attention is attentive, a person with good focus is focused, a person with good dedication is dedicated, a person with good memory is... memor... able? no... iful? that's not a word... what?

How about memorious? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funes_the_Memorious
Well....We found the word:Hyperthymesia.
It is a medical word for an abnormality.
It is not a common description of a person with superior recall.

Pfhorrest; You ask difficult and rare questions.

Sableagle?
Is that brook flooding?
The surface of the water is very turbulent.

So?
Is your area of the world going under water or not?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:37 pm UTC

We get a pay rise!

Whoooo!

+1.6%, everyone. A whole 1.6% increase in our pre-tax total for a 40-hour week (no increase in overtime rate).

We've gone from paying 1% of it into a workplace pension fund to paying 3% of it into a workplace pension fund, so, roughly speaking, we're taking home (97/99)*1.016 as much, aka 0.452525% less, but if you include the change from +1% to +2% employer contribution to the pension fund, it's a 2.574% increase in our pay. Oh yeah. I'm going into town to book a ...
The inflation rate dipped to 3% in December, down from November's rate of 3.1% - a six-year high.
... haircut, maybe?

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:39 pm UTC

Show off and make those folks ordering from the $1 menu feel the sting of jealousy as you order from -- the $2 menu.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:39 pm UTC

Even better, I'll make myself some beans on toast.

This week I learned the recipe for beans on toast.

Beans on toast are way beyond lembas. :shock:

I also learned that the forsythia or fredericcia or whatever it is isn't actually as dead as it looked. In clearing away the dead parts, I found some live parts, some ivy, several ash trees, two holly trees and some pyracantha. Pyracantha does not cooperate with gardening much.

I also found that the akebias are starting to flower, so it must be a warm summer, the hyacinths and anemones are out, so it must be well into spring and early spring, the winter-flowering jasmine and winter-flowering honeysuckle are in flower, so it must be winter and the pyracantha next door is covered in berries, so it must be autumn.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:38 pm UTC

TIL that Eric Holder is black.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:32 am UTC

TIL that the clove, an old English unit of weight, was equal to eight pounds when measuring cheese.

Somehow I, and probably you as well, have survived this long without knowing that.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:20 am UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:TIL that the clove, an old English unit of weight, was equal to eight pounds when measuring cheese.

Somehow I, and probably you as well, have survived this long without knowing that.

So, let's see, that means there would be 14 clove in a Dutch cask...and also that there would be 21 1/3 clove in a tub...

Extremely useful information... :D

Seriously, I often wonder about the history of these odd measures. Why 8 pounds? Why 112 pounds in a Dutch cask?

Take acres for example. Why 43,560 square feet per? That is 208.710325571 feet on a side, if you take it to be a geometric square. Which is stupid, right?

For starters: A township is 6 miles square, 36 sq. miles, divided into 36 sections. So a section is a square mile, which is 640 acres.

Now, in the imperial system, land was actually measured in chains and furlongs. A chain was 66 feet and there were 10 chains in a furlong; or 80 chains to the mile and 8 furlongs to the mile. 8 x 80 is 640 rectangles. So, 640 rectangles, each 66 feet by 660 ft, in a square mile. Who would have thought that 5280 would be divided so easily by 66?

Well, actually, 5,280 is an interesting number; evenly divisible by (at least) 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 20, 22, 24, 30, 32, 33, 40, 44, 60, 64, 66, 80, 96, 120, 132, 160... Is that an accident? (No.)

Given all that, acre makes perfect sense...and so does 5,280 feet. Right?

I have heard it said that primitive does not mean stupid. Such historical "oddities" often reveal enormous cleverness on the part of the humans that created them. But that cleverness is not always obvious to us in retrospect, and so it's tempting to wonder, "What idiot thought this up?"
In all fairness...

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:22 am UTC

Sorry, but there is no excuse for having 11 as a factor for the number of feet/yards in a mile. It's nonsensical.
Behold your only true messiah. An entity of which you're a part.
A vast and cold indifferent being. A grey clad mass without a heart.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:14 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Sorry, but there is no excuse for having 11 as a factor for the number of feet/yards in a mile. It's nonsensical.

Well, maybe not to divide by 11 per se. But what about dividing by 440, just for example? If you want to divide by 440, there has to be an 11 factor in there somewhere. And it's a good thing I said "at least" because I didn't list 330, and we all know how important that is. And then there is 132, which I did list, and is so important to traditional computer printers, that needs 11 as well.
In all fairness...

Raidri

Postby Raidri » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:09 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:...

Well, actually, 5,280 is an interesting number; evenly divisible by (at least) 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 20, 22, 24, 30, 32, 33, 40, 44, 60, 64, 66, 80, 96, 120, 132, 160... Is that an accident? (No.)

fixed

Prime factors are 25 * 3 * 5 * 11.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:11 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:Well, maybe not to divide by 11 per se. But what about dividing by 440, just for example? If you want to divide by 440, there has to be an 11 factor in there somewhere. And it's a good thing I said "at least" because I didn't list 330, and we all know how important that is. And then there is 132, which I did list, and is so important to traditional computer printers, that needs 11 as well.

5280 and 5760 both have 48 divisors.

Which are nicer, these:

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 12 | 15 | 16 | 18 | 20 | 24 | 30 | 32 | 36 | 40 | 45 | 48 | 60 | 64 | 72 | 80 | 90 | 96 | 120 | 128 | 144 | 160 | 180 | 192 | 240 | 288 | 320 | 360 | 384 | 480 | 576 | 640 | 720 | 960 | 1152 | 1440 | 1920 | 2880 | 5760

or these:

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 15 | 16 | 20 | 22 | 24 | 30 | 32 | 33 | 40 | 44 | 48 | 55 | 60 | 66 | 80 | 88 | 96 | 110 | 120 | 132 | 160 | 165 | 176 | 220 | 240 | 264 | 330 | 352 | 440 | 480 | 528 | 660 | 880 | 1056 | 1320 | 1760 | 2640 | 5280

Plus, the former is just easier to remember since you already remember that there are 5760 grains per pound.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:07 pm UTC

But, if we did 5760, we'd have to find/make a new chain, and that's just such a pain...

Add...

If we chopped 2 feet off the chain, it would be 64 feet, so Acres would be 90 x 900, 81000 square feet. If we tacked on 6 feet, it would be 72 feet, and Acres would be 80 x 800, 64000 square feet.

Okay, I changed my mind. They should have gone with 5760, and used 72 ft chains.
In all fairness...

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:16 pm UTC

An acre is 1/640 square miles, so it should be 51,840 square feet.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:33 am UTC

You are right, I was using the wrong multipliers in my calculation. That's the problem with thought problems, you have to think...and I am obviously thought-challenged.
In all fairness...

Return to “General”