Blistering blue barnacles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

speising

Re: Blistering blue barnacles

Postby speising » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:43 am UTC

somitomi wrote:Okay, I do have to ask: what the devil is "4H"?

Ha! I know that, there was a Simpsons episode:

4-H wrote:4-H is a club for children. Its focus is farming and its headquarters is at the Cheddarbarrel Farm and 4-H Center.

(i just assume the real one is similar)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:09 pm UTC

Farm kids doing farm shit. Tends to skew younger than FFA (due to FFA being a high school thing) but has some overlap. Also runs summer camps, making it a sort of alternative to the religious based ones.

That Simpsons Wiki wrote:Bart had to take oath on The 4-H Guidebook, but the 4-H leader allowed him to skip it, because it was too long.
That sounds about right.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:49 pm UTC

Or, an other analogy: it is like boy/girl scouts, but with cows instead of orienteering.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:01 pm UTC

And less Religion. At least for the Boy Scouts. Not sure if the Girl Scouts give a shit about faith, wouldn't be surprised if they don't. With Boy Scouts, your mileage varies by the troop, but they all officially have it in the US.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:24 pm UTC

I've heard from parents of Girl Scouts that the organization exists to exploit child labor to peddle their brand of cookies.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:36 pm UTC

New User wrote:I've heard from parents of Girl Scouts that the organization exists to exploit child labor to peddle their brand of cookies.

Exploits child labor in a multi level marketing scheme?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:11 pm UTC

I will admit to not knowing enough about the internal structure of the Girl Scouts to say one way or the other, but... it seems weird to me that, if they're exploiting their labor to push cookies, wouldn't they have cookie drives more than once a year? Quarterly maybe?

Given the demand for them, it already seems like they're leaving money on the table when they don't do that. Though there's the argument that scarcity breeds the demand... but now we're getting off track.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:54 pm UTC

Girl Scouts are a 501(c)(3), meaning tax-exempt non-profit. No money can go to private interests. The Wikipedia article says that the cookies are made by licensed contractors, but the brand is owned by the organization, and most of the money stays within the local Girl Scout council.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Scout_Cookies
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:12 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Farm kids doing farm shit. Tends to skew younger than FFA (due to FFA being a high school thing) but has some overlap. Also runs summer camps, making it a sort of alternative to the religious based ones.

That Simpsons Wiki wrote:Bart had to take oath on The 4-H Guidebook, but the 4-H leader allowed him to skip it, because it was too long.
That sounds about right.

I did it for 10 years (cloverbuds are the really young kids) and our fair had a lot of art, science, etc categories too. It was huuuuge. It was great. Entries were $1.50. If you gave a crap youd get an A premium ribon (a b c were options) and all As paid out $3. I often entered in computer science , rocketry, airplanes, photography, tons differenr aet categories (ink charcoal pastel oil etc etc), biology, chemistry, and more.

Farm categories (animal projects) were more, but winner prizes higher. And meat animals go to market and local butches really support the youth so youd raise a pig and sell it at market after showing and it would make enough to continue the project for the next year. Kinda cool. Sorta capitalistic i suppose, but it turns into a great way for kids to earn cash. And the whole learn how to be responsible thing. I did pocket pets and rabbits.

It really all depends on how big your local 4H fair is. Down here they dont even have a rabbit program.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Return to “General”