2071: "Indirect Detection"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Flumble
Yes Man

2071: "Indirect Detection"

Postby Flumble » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:04 pm UTC

Title text: I'm like a prisoner in Plato's Cave, seeing only the shade you throw on the wall.

...not knowing that the quoted phrases are from different conversations and are replies to "Gangster Boss is recruiting homeless people to be his playthings—some are even given cat-ears and are told to act like our friend Catherine"* and "Those warlords may have tortured, raped and killed many people, but they still deserve a fair trial" respectively. Now things get more complicated.

I'm usually very skeptical about (emotional) messages from people when I only see their side, especially if the message isn't directed at me. It does pique my interest, so I'm inclined to ask that person why they're still acquainted with that "awful other friend", but I won't consider that 3rd person anything until there's enough data to conclude that they really are awful.
Also, is it correct that in one possible interpretation of this comic Randall puts himself on a pedestal?

*alright I'm really pushing it with the first quote. But dammit if I can't make my point with "those animals" referring to people so evil that many would deem "those animals should all be hunted for sport instead" a reasonable response. Anyway I just wanted to tie in that cgpgrey video with the interpretation that it's people arguing over things that the other party never said/meant, which is really hard given that the "angry response" doesn't seem that unreasonable.

dp2

Re: 2071: "Indirect Detection"

Postby dp2 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:04 pm UTC

Two of my friends on Facebook frequently post self-affirming memes about how other people can't tear you down and cut those people out of your life and you're better than all those drama queens. One of them, I know the other side all too well. I know that SHE is the drama in everyone else's life, and I get frustrated seeing all the affirmation she gets from people who don't know her as well responding positively to those posts. The other, I only know casually, think she's a great person, and feel like cheering her on when I see them. Then I think, "What if, in someone else's life, she's just like the first person?" And then I don't know what to think.

rabidmuskrat

Postby rabidmuskrat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:12 pm UTC

It's always particularly entertaining when you have people that go to an extreme where they're annoyed by the people annoyed by the terrible people that you never see. That somehow this stuff is rampant enough that there's significant outrage over the amount of outrage over something.

Yet somehow, I've never seen the original troublemakers...

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:25 pm UTC

Didn't catch it on first read, but now see what he did with shade replacing shadow. Point Munroe.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:29 pm UTC

I've seen some bad posts *on Facebook, and I've since put the account in hibernation. Unfortunately, I won't be able to tell which one of my friends are truly awful anymore.

*Bad crime stories that creates sympathy for cops, Trump memes, etc etc.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:44 pm UTC

sardia wrote:I've seen some bad posts *on Facebook, and I've since put the account in hibernation. Unfortunately, I won't be able to tell which one of my friends are truly awful anymore.

*Bad crime stories that creates sympathy for cops, Trump memes, etc etc.

You left out vaginal rocks, drinking urine, essential oils, diet supplements to cure cancer, .... and using emacs instead of vi :cry: :cry:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:22 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

You left out vaginal rocks, drinking urine, essential oils, diet supplements to cure cancer, .... and using emacs instead of vi :cry: :cry:

I'm not Facebook friends with people who would post that kind of material. Not sure if that's better or worse for you.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:46 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:You left out vaginal rocks
:shock:

cellocgw wrote:vaginal

cellocgw wrote:rocks

Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:37 pm UTC

It's ok, it just means all his Facebook friends are liberals.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:46 am UTC

I assume that "THOSE ANIMALS SHOULD ALL BE HUNTED FOR SPORT INSTEAD" refers to the "LOSERS" who adopt pets from shelters. Awful, indeed.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:55 am UTC

dp2 wrote:Two of my friends on Facebook frequently post self-affirming memes about how other people can't tear you down and cut those people out of your life and you're better than all those drama queens. One of them, I know the other side all too well. I know that SHE is the drama in everyone else's life, and I get frustrated seeing all the affirmation she gets from people who don't know her as well responding positively to those posts. The other, I only know casually, think she's a great person, and feel like cheering her on when I see them. Then I think, "What if, in someone else's life, she's just like the first person?" And then I don't know what to think.

Because I also just need to vent this:
I have a brother who posts about people helping him when he had to move out of his apartment and how terrible it was that family tried to tear him down in his hour of need. So much piling on of support and sympathy and spitting venom at the toxic family that wouldn't help him.

Backstory: He was living, rent-free, with an ex and another sibling. Once the ex moved, several months ago, they knew they'd never be able to afford the place on their own. Their solution? Wait until a day or two before eviction and then start begging friends to let them couch-surf, or find Airbnbs. The toxic family? A middle sibling who told him to act his age and had reminded him that the eviction was far from sudden so he has no excuse for not even trying to find a place sooner. Said brother also has a history of going to family for money, using the child he barely supports.

As to the comic - it took someone shit-posting about an animal abuse story on a forum for me to learn about that incident. (Cannot remember which story it was) It had started making the rounds on social media within the previous 24 hours, so I was deeply puzzled what the actual hell people were on about until someone finally posted a link. "Whaaat? Who did what to a dog and why would you ever think people would be okay with that? ... OHMYGOD!! What is wrong with everyone?"
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:53 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:Two of my friends on Facebook frequently post self-affirming memes about how other people can't tear you down and cut those people out of your life and you're better than all those drama queens. One of them, I know the other side all too well. I know that SHE is the drama in everyone else's life, and I get frustrated seeing all the affirmation she gets from people who don't know her as well responding positively to those posts. The other, I only know casually, think she's a great person, and feel like cheering her on when I see them. Then I think, "What if, in someone else's life, she's just like the first person?" And then I don't know what to think.

"Don't take the things people say as gospel, especially if no one corroborates them, and double especially on social media."

NeatNit

Postby NeatNit » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:40 pm UTC

Honestly, this sounds more like https://xkcd.com/2051/ except without bothering to search.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:32 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Also, is it correct that in one possible interpretation of this comic Randall puts himself on a pedestal?

'Seems less on a pedestal and more somewhat adjacent to a ditch, or next door to some folk who have a hobby of looking at cess pools so they can come home and compose rants about the gross things found therein, which are then recited loudly enough to be overheard.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:15 pm UTC

NeatNit wrote:Honestly, this sounds more like https://xkcd.com/2051/ except without bothering to search.

I don't know why people would go out of their way to find stuff to be outraged about in this day and age. Even if you're that type of person, if legitimate reasons to be outraged aren't landing at your feet on a regular basis, then you're probably not paying attention. Actually, no, especially if you're that kind of person.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

rabidmuskrat

Postby rabidmuskrat » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:16 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:
NeatNit wrote:Honestly, this sounds more like https://xkcd.com/2051/ except without bothering to search.

I don't know why people would go out of their way to find stuff to be outraged about in this day and age. Even if you're that type of person, if legitimate reasons to be outraged aren't landing at your feet on a regular basis, then you're probably not paying attention. Actually, no, especially if you're that kind of person.

I know people like this. It's freaking obnoxious.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:25 pm UTC

They should lose their internet privileges! And remove the vowels from their keyboards so we can tell who they are if they sneak back on!!

Euphonium
Location: in ur bourgeois bosses' union, agitating ur workers

Postby Euphonium » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:54 pm UTC

The current outrage among my Facebook friends from my hometown is over someone who was charged with reckless homicide for killing three children by ignoring a bus's stop sign received and was able to post $500 bail.

Because, apparently, the point of bail is to punish you before you've even been tried, and not solely to make sure you show up (hell, if you show up like you're supposed to then you get it back once your case is over, even if you're convicted!).

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:00 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:They should lose their internet privileges! And remove the vowels from their keyboards so we can tell who they are if they sneak back on!!

Wht gd wld tht d?

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:20 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:They should lose their internet privileges! And remove the vowels from their keyboards so we can tell who they are if they sneak back on!!

Wht gd wld tht d?

Nt mch. 'm mzd b wht psss fr spllng. Kds ths ds.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:51 am UTC

Old Bruce wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Wht gd wld tht d?

D . knw f th lttr "" nl dspprs whn t s bng sd s . vwl lxclly? 'Cs tht wld b sm prtt cmplx nd mprssv sftwr fr . prtt sll, vn ptt prps.

Raidri

Postby Raidri » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:03 am UTC

WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Old Bruce wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Wht gd wld tht d?

D . knw f th lttr "" nl dspprs whn t s bng sd s . vwl lxclly? 'Cs tht wld b sm prtt cmplx nd mprssv sftwr fr . prtt sll, vn ptt prps.

. thnk y[sc] mssd . "" thr.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:25 am UTC

Raidri wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Old Bruce wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Wht gd wld tht d?

Sht.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:25 pm UTC

WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Raidri wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Old Bruce wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Wht gd wld tht d?

Sht.

Hw th vr-lvng crp ws . bl t rd tht mss?! Ths s nmtgtd chs.

dt: drppd . 'g'.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:50 am UTC

WriteBrainedJR wrote:D . knw f th lttr "" nl dspprs whn t s bng sd s . vwl lxclly? 'Cs tht wld b sm prtt cmplx nd mprssv sftwr fr . prtt sll, vn ptt prps.

t m b ncrdbl sll, bt . jst nw md ths d fr dcphrng txts lk ths ns. D nt tht t's n ssstnc, s t wn't d vrthng fr .

nd . fnd t tht lxcll s nt n m lcl dctnr. nl lxcl s.

vowel-remover-example.png

[edit]oh if the page seems to load slowly, it's because it first downloads 1MB of dictionary, then puts it in a visible element, then builds a reverse dictionary. (takes about 4 seconds on my computer)

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:28 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:D . knw f th lttr "" nl dspprs whn t s bng sd s . vwl lxclly? 'Cs tht wld b sm prtt cmplx nd mprssv sftwr fr . prtt sll, vn ptt prps.

t m b ncrdbl sll, bt . jst nw md ths d fr dcphrng txts lk ths ns. D nt tht t's n ssstnc, s t wn't d vrthng fr .

nd . fnd t tht lxcll s nt n m lcl dctnr. nl lxcl s.

vowel-remover-example.png

[edit]oh if the page seems to load slowly, it's because it first downloads 1MB of dictionary, then puts it in a visible element, then builds a reverse dictionary. (takes about 4 seconds on my computer)

Nt!
t cn ls b sd fr . knd f dmntd md lbs:
mdlbs.png
mdlbs.png (5.2 KiB) Viewed 891 times

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:44 am UTC

Yeh, I tend to find out bout lot of memes, news events, controversies, opinions, nd terrible people second or third hnd. Not being on Fcebook nd only using Twitter to look t neurl network generted or intertively trnslted Mgic the Gthering crds probbly contributes to tht lot.

nd its complete coincidence tht bove people re tlking bout removing vowels from keybords, cos one of mine isn't working.
Yes I could just pste in the missing letter or use n externl keybord but it's funnier not to, t lest in this one thred.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:36 pm UTC

(You need to write using words which omit this letter entirely. You'll hopefully now notice I've been doing it here, which is not so obvious considering I thought it might be when I pressed the Reply button. Thus this postfix. In which I just found difficulty with numerous words closely defined to "begin" plus "beginning"*, in the context now given over to mention of replying. Up until then things were simple!)

((* - "Start", "began", "initiated" , and related aspects. Nearly each alphabetic span appended and enparagraphed locally arose unfortunately, after having announced that initial "easily avoidable" statement. Became increasingly harder after carelessly stating that aim, amusingly!))

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:04 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Raidri wrote:
WriteBrainedJR wrote:
Old Bruce wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Wht gd wld tht d?

Sht.

Hw th vr-lvng crp ws . bl t rd tht mss?! Ths s nmtgtd chs.

dt: drppd . 'g'.

^
|
|
TL;DR :mrgreen:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:29 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:TL;DR :mrgreen:

What's so funny about a teal diary? :?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”