I have a question about Thor in infinity war?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

jackmarison93

I have a question about Thor in infinity war?

Postby jackmarison93 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:35 am UTC

Why was it so easy for thor to defeat thanos? It seems every other hero was just falling apart in front of him but thor could kill him in a couple of seconds.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: I have a question about Thor in infinity war?

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:40 pm UTC

I'll be mashing this in to the Infinity War thread shortly.....

Couple of reasons -

1. Odinforce/Thorforce. With Odin gone and Thor the heir, it's highly likely that Thor possesses it.

2. Thor realizing what it means to be the God of Thunder in Thor:Ragnarok. This might actually be less that, and more figuring out how the Thorforce works now that he possesses it, making points 1 and 2 the same.

3. Stormbreaker, a weapon crafted to be greater than any weapon in Asgard and as a trump to the Infinity Gauntlet.

4. Thor always was one of the most physically powerful superheros in the MCU. Hulk is the only one who is stronger, and Hulk didn't make it to that fight, and we've not seen Captain Marvel yet. Those three are basically the heavy hitters and only one of them was at that fight.

5. Because every hero had basically been wet tissue paper, Thanos wasn't really paying attention. He certainly didn't consider Thor a threat until Stormbreaker bisected the beam, giving him a handful of seconds to react to something he'd disregarded but now noted as a serious threat. He then failed to adequately deal with it and got an axe to the chest as a result.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:57 pm UTC

jackmarison93 wrote:Why was it so easy for thor to defeat thanos? It seems every other hero was just falling apart in front of him but thor could kill him in a couple of seconds.

In their first encounter at the start of the movie, Thanos wrecked Thor. At the end of the movie, Thor was armed with a weapon specifically designed to support and augment his powers - and selected by Eitri for the purpose of opposing Thanos from all his previous designs.

Based on things in the comics, though it hasn't been established in the MCU, Thor may well have inherited the Odinforce - the power behind Asgard that allowed them to defeat the Dark Elves and to conquer and rule the Nine Realms. In the comics, the only thing more powerful is the Infinity Gauntlet (and possibly the Phoenix Force) - it's more powerful than individual Infinity Stones.

Thor wielding the Odinforce through Stormbreaker is at least on the same level as Thanos wielding the Infinity Gauntlet, a couple of tiers above the Hulk, and even further above everyone else...

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:00 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:4. Thor always was one of the most physically powerful superheros in the MCU. Hulk is the only one who is stronger, and Hulk didn't make it to that fight, and we've not seen Captain Marvel yet. Those three are basically the heavy hitters and only one of them was at that fight.

It's debatable who's stronger - Hulk or Thor - in the fight on Sakaar, Thor was winning before the Grandmaster cheated. Admittedly, Thor wasn't winning through pure strength, but his other powers made up the difference.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:03 pm UTC

Okay, Point Break.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:24 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Okay, Point Break.

Which was Stark's assessment of them before Odin died and Thor got powered up. Before Ragnarok, Hulk was definitely the strongest Avenger, but things change...

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:54 pm UTC

Also, Stark frigging loves messing with people.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:17 pm UTC

Really, though, the Hulk question is one that isn't answered - is Hulk like the comics wherein the angrier he gets the stronger he gets with no real upper limit beyond how furious he can become... or is there a limit and if so, have we seen it?

The strongest he's been in the comics involved both Hulk and Banner working together, which may be something they're hinting at what with Banner attempting to summon Hulk and Hulk refusing to come out. That, or maybe they'll spring Joe Fixit on us. Makes more sense than a talking homicidal raccoon and a tiny tree man killing a sentient planet.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”