vvitch

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

vvitch

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:21 am UTC

I need a hug. This was incredible, terrifying and slow and everything you could ask for.

I need to think about it more
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: vvitch

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:00 pm UTC

Since it showed up on Netflix, I watched it this weekend.

Enjoyable film, though the descriptions attached to it on Netflix and some other places are... wrong?

The Witch follows a Puritan family encountering forces of evil in the woods beyond their New England farm, forces that may be either real or imagined.

Ah, no, they're pretty fuckin' real. Not a whole lot of grey area going on there. Pretty cut and dry.

Still, it's a nice horror flick with a very welcome lack of jump scares. That alone puts it miles ahead of most stuff.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:55 pm UTC

*hugs Izawwlgood two-and-a-half years later*

SecondTalon wrote:Ah, no, they're pretty fuckin' real. Not a whole lot of grey area going on there. Pretty cut and dry.

Well yeah, but you don't know that until halfway into the film, IIRC. And the bulk of the film can be explained through non-supernatural evil —in fact I was a bit let down by the revealing final scenes; the drama/horror/mystery/suspense was otherwise great.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:29 am UTC

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:13 am UTC

It is very pretty, and well crafted in a lot of ways. At the same time the high praise it got kinda makes me feel like bad movies broke people's brains.
... this was from early 2016 ... did 2017 actually happen? I keep seeing "2017" and not knowing what that series of numbers means.

I mean, good performances, and effective sequences, but the narrative arc and message were kind of... absent

There've been movies since then that were compared to it, Hereditary, Mandy, that I feel like had a lot more to say.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:47 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:*hugs Izawwlgood two-and-a-half years later*

SecondTalon wrote:Ah, no, they're pretty fuckin' real. Not a whole lot of grey area going on there. Pretty cut and dry.

Well yeah, but you don't know that until halfway into the film, IIRC.

Not really? There's Samuel, and we the viewer are shown what happens there. The next, long bit does involve some "How much of this is actually caused by a Witch and how much is them just going wacky due to some unknown reason" but... yeah, there's a pretty explicit "They are being harrassed by at least one supernatural entity" thing fairly early in the film.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:53 pm UTC

I don't think Netflix worries much about truth when marketing their offer. It is telling how they label "Netflix originals" some Japanese animated series that they haven't produced at all (except for the dubs I guess).

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:19 am UTC

this movie was fine, but imo it would actually have been more scary if the supernatural element wasn't manifest or even present at all (with the exception of the very ending which had no real effect on its spookiness and could stay)

Spoiler:
but if all the tension and terribleness didn't clearly come from anything supernatural and was in fact just the family losing it bc of the joint stressors of community ostracisation/impending winter/doubling down in a terrible way on their religion to compensate for the rest of the deprivation it wouldn't have changed much in terms of actual concrete Plot Points but would have been a lot more unsettling to me, anyway, in terms of the looming eeriness of it. at the end of all that if the girl still fucked off to the woods to join a coven of witches who happened to just be living there peaceably and were not in fact tormenting the family like! who would blame her still after all that!
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:59 am UTC

Just finished watching it.

So...
Spoiler:
Whatever happened to the creepy twins?
Where did the horse go?

As for the real vs imagined part, ergot is a fungus with hallucinagenic effects that was widely believed to have been responsible for the "bewitchings" during the Salem Witch Trials. Note that the corn they had was moldy and rotten. It would explain
Spoiler:
Caleb's mannerisms after returning

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:01 pm UTC

natraj wrote:this movie was fine, but imo it would actually have been more scary if the supernatural element wasn't manifest or even present at all (with the exception of the very ending which had no real effect on its spookiness and could stay)
There's a lot of potential "the real horror is -"
Spoiler:
isolation. the real horror is when we turn on each other. the real horror is adolescence/female sexuality. the real horror religious persecution
but, no. There's a witch. The witch is scary.

That was kind of a let down for me, because I think exploring the loss of society, and all the dangers that entails, would be more interesting, but maybe I'd appreciate the movie more if I knew from the start there wasn't a "message".

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”