Idle Games - Candy Box, A Firelit Room

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Idle Games - Candy Box, A Firelit Room

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:16 am UTC

On the one hand, it matches the comic in that it takes for-fucking-ever for anything to happen. And it also matches the increased complexity of the comic by getting more complicated.

On the other hand, it's overly complicated. It looks as though the resources that one gives a crap about change radically as the game progresses making it such that a lot of your early choices end up not only being worthless, but actively hindering your progress.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:31 pm UTC

You may have known that the Steam sale featured a rather pointless-looking clicking game this year. In the acknowledgements they suggest AdVenture Capitalist and Clicker Heroes, both of which are free to play and have Very Positive ratings. Have any of you tried either of those?

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:45 pm UTC

Adventure capitalist has an near endless progression of multiplicator upgrades and it's made so that you play some time until progress gets slow then you soft reset and get a multiplicator on your earning, repeat ad infinitum. No story or anything additional just reaching higher and higher numbers.

New User

Postby New User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:48 pm UTC

Idle Games have exploded in popularity in the past year or so. Kongregate is getting overrun with them, for example.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:13 am UTC

I've played both!

I did Adventure Capitalist when it was on the web; they made some update over Christmas that totally broke it on Chrome, so I stopped. (It definitely wasn't just me, there were lots of identical complaints from Chrome users, but they didn't fix it for a few weeks, and I eventually stopped checking.) It's a fun game; as noted, it's a pure treadmill upwards. Its claim to fame is that its numbers get BIG, which is surprisingly satisfying. While a lot of idle games are quick at the beginning and then turn into a slow slog, AC has a slowish point from around the end of your first play-through, through your second or third reset, then goes back to being quick again. Just lots of stacking multipliers coming at a well-balanced pace, and the reset mechanism being quite powerful, keeps you resetting every 12-24 hours and making it further the next time.

My favorite parts are: it's got a cute retro-50's aesthetic and catchy bg music, it uses the proper names of the power-of-10 you reach (well past 10^100 $/sec), and the reset mechanism has some interesting tradeoffs. You earn Angel Investors when you reset (which each grant a small multiplier to your earnings, and carry across resets) based on your *lifetime* earnings, so you earn them more slowly in later resets. Some of the most powerful upgrades, tho, are bought by sacrificing your Angel Investors permanently; it doesn't reset the count, so earning them back is slower than earning them in the first place. This quickly becomes worthwhile, tho, as your AIs scale just as ridiculously; when you're going to earn an octillion AIs this run, sacrificing a few billion to get a x7 earnings multiplier is well worth it, earning you *more* long-term than if you'd hoarded them.

I'm playing Clicker Heroes on Steam right now, and it's also enjoyable, though I'm currently in the slog portion. It's got a very similar setup to AC, from what I can tell. The theme is pretty cute, as you're an adventurer fighting monsters, and building up a team to help. The numbers, again, scale up *really fast* - you won't notice it too much on your first playthrough, because it'll be such a struggle to get through in the first place, but you're eventually throwing around money in the 10^50 range. This one has some interesting and fun optimization challenges as you start to advance; after each reset you earn "Hero Souls", which boost your DPS, but you can also spend your hero souls (dropping your DPS) on Ancients, which power you up in some permanent way (that carries across resets). Figuring out which Ancients to buy and when to upgrade them vs hoarding HS is an important part of the mid-game. There's also a "gilding" mechanism that you get with Rubies, which you earn slowly from clicking on the occasional bonus on the screen, which boost the DPS of individual heroes; this starts off as just a nice bonus, but in the late-game becomes your main source of optimized damage, as you move gilds around on your heroes.

Both are quite enjoyable imo, very good examples of the Idle genre.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

incompletename

Postby incompletename » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:46 am UTC

Anyone tried Time Clickers? It's a very polished game, I must say. I especially like the permanent prestige system and the amount of anti-frustration features, though the skilltree could use some more expanding.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:37 pm UTC

Interesting concept! Structurally, it appears to be nearly a *direct* copy of Clicker Heroes.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:10 pm UTC

Knowing that most of these clicker games are free to play, what is the major source of revenue for them? Ads? Or in-game purchases?
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:39 pm UTC

Jar'O'Jam wrote:Knowing that most of these clicker games are free to play, what is the major source of revenue for them? Ads? Or in-game purchases?

Depends on the game - those that allow in-game purchases to skip time forward (or otherwise make numbers bigger faster), that's probably the main revenue source - I've not yet come across one with ads. Some, like Candy Box, have no visible revenue stream - it's possible there's some form of donation option available...

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:50 am UTC

Yeah, Candybox is just a toy project that eventually got a donation button on it. Professional games like AdventureCapitalist or Clicker Heroes have IAP - I usually throw a few bucks at a game when it's good enough to hold my attention for a few hours.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:37 am UTC

I got back into Clicker Heroes a little while ago. I'd abandoned it about a year ago, after having gotten pretty far (just over floor 1000), but they just recently released the big "Transcendence" update and officially upgraded to version 1.0, so I thought I'd give it a try again.

Yup, still find it quite fun! Transcendence gives you a further meta-loop - when you transcend, you give up *all* your Hero Souls and Ancients (which you had built up across all your Ascensions) in return for a small number of Ancient Souls, which power up Old Ones, which increase the power of Ancients and your Hero-Soul earning speed. The benefits are *very* substantial - I'd earned about 60k hero souls total across a year of off-and-on playing, then in 3 weeks of post-transcending play I earned nearly 30M more, and drove myself to level 1700. I just transcended again today, and expect to catch up to what I had before in a week or so then blow *way* past it; it really drives your numbers to bonkers levels.

If you do try it out, I *highly recommend* making sure you have at least 50 rubies, so you can do a Quick-Ascend right away when you first transcend. Otherwise, that first ascension is a *slog* to get through, as bad as your very first playthrough was. 7 hero souls make it easy to pick up Siya or Libertas immediately, tho, which get super-powered by one of the Old Ones, and make the process much quicker.

Other additions since I last played: Guilds, which let you group together with other people for social stuff, and fight a daily challenge monster (click damage only, with your click damage equal to the # of hero souls you've earned from primal bosses) for extra hero souls; and Mercenaries, little helpers you send out on quests (ranging from 5 minutes to 2 days) for gold, rubies, relics, hero souls, or free skill activations. (Btw, having some mercenaries with some completed Relic quests ready to collect is also really helpful right when you transcend, since they'll give you some free Ancient levels.)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:52 pm UTC

Unfolding Games seems to be the name of ones like A Dark Room, Kittens Game, Candy Box 1 & 2, Universal Paperclips, Frog Fractions, Sandcastle Builder.. games where gameplay starts out as one thing but then becomes something else entirely.

I recently ran across Crank. A game about turning a crank. It's pretty neat, though predictable towards the end (and it actually has a "The End, you're done." moment without a prestige system asking you to play One More Game) and is probably worth your time. If you know the early game well enough you can probably get to a point where you aren't turning the crank anymore in about an hour.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Gaming”