1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

taixzo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:11 pm UTC

Hi Opiboble!

I realized that one of the recent Othercomics is actually part 2 of a two-panel comic.
I like to imagine the scientists are the parents/grownups, dealing with the kids' game in their own way.

RSIR
Spoiler:
lava.png

edit: pope! Decree: are there any other Otherconics that might make an unexpected set?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:30 pm UTC

A spot of ketchup:

pelrigg wrote:The basement doors creaks open with a pitiful cry. "Hmm, I thought I oiled that the last Time I was here. Let's take another look." Manufactured by the Nightingale Floor And Hinge Corp. Well that explains a lot.

:D Hi, pelrigg! Never heard of a nightingale floor before. And thank you for sharing your molpish story.

I was trying to see Sustainabilizer's initial image about physics, but the bicyclesonthemoon viewer is broken. Both this link and another link in a post by Jose are not working. :(

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:30 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I was trying to see Sustainabilizer's initial image about physics, but the bicyclesonthemoon viewer is broken.

Should be working now.

bicyclesonthemoon.info was not accessible but this time it was not my server's fault.
my IP changes sometimes.
Every time this happens the DNS for bicyclesonthemon.info has to be updated to point to the new IP.
My dynamic DNS is on freedns.afraid.org now.
This time my server couldn't update the IP because afraid.org wasn't accessible from here.
I also couldn't see afraid.org in a browser, the connections were timed out.
So it couldn't log in and send the new IP.
But it was not accessible only from my place. The rest of the internet could see it.
I disconnected my house from the internet and reconnected.
Now it could access afraid.org without any problems and it quickly updated the IP.

I wonder why it wasn't working.
Was I being banned for some reason?

Also I did not notice this because I'm at the same place where the server is. So even if I lose the internet connection I will still able to see bicyclesonthemoon.info.

ETA:
svenman wrote:New phys frame:
S wrote:I think in my time we are closer to understanding everything than any time before.
She is from the future.
Ask her if they already have discovered it!
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:51 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I was trying to see Sustainabilizer's initial image about physics, but the bicyclesonthemoon viewer is broken. Both this link and another link in a post by Jose are not working. :(
Did you try using logarithms?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:32 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:55 am UTC

And a new phys frame that had been ONGed on the unreachable botcastle in the meantime:
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:24 pm UTC

svenman wrote:And a new phys frame that had been ONGed on the unreachable botcastle in the meantime:
Actually, it onged before being unreachable.
And now another one:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Prediction:
she is from the future. She knows that he was the one who did it.
Now she is trying to suggest to him to do it.
This way she makes sure that her past will happen...

Also new bsta:
Locate the characters

Tape not aligned?

You didn't touch anything, did you?

contextbot:
On this system "lrt" is the command for the Location & Relocation Tool.

I think RAZOR would be very interested in such a thing.
Actually, they would be also interested in many other things like object generators and so on.
RAZOR should really meet with the LEML guys sometime.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:24 am UTC

taixzo wrote:I like to imagine the scientists are the parents/grownups, dealing with the kids' game in their own way.

Damn, you made me spit my coffee! :mrgreen:
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:26 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:31 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I was trying to see Sustainabilizer's initial image about physics, but the bicyclesonthemoon viewer is broken. Both this link and another link in a post by Jose are not working. :(

Jose

I keep going back and re-reading this. I assume there's a joke there, but I'm just not getting it. Anyway, I could try logarithms. I assume you use one of these to get logarithms?

Spoiler:

taixzo wrote:I like to imagine the scientists are the parents/grownups, dealing with the kids' game in their own way.

:D And I love that decree. Not sure when I'll have the Tim to follow it, but it would be fun. I wish I got cell reception down in the pit. Other people do, but apparently my MTA sucks. :cry:

I've finally blitzed the physics story and bsta, and am eagerly Waiting for more of both. I was confused with bsta because I had stopped reading at a crucial point. So, did the tape transport the guy into the cartoon? Anyway, it continues to be an awesomeful story.

balthasar_s wrote:contextbot:
On this system "lrt" is the command for the Location & Relocation Tool.

I think RAZOR would be very interested in such a thing.
Actually, they would be also interested in many other things like object generators and so on.
RAZOR should really meet with the LEML guys sometime.

:shock: Excuse, I have to...go do something. Definitely not have a top secret meeting about anything, though.

RZOR RSIR
Spoiler:
slit_drum.jpg
slit_drum.jpg (18.8 KiB) Viewed 6652 times

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:51 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I assume you use one of these to get logarithms?
Yes, that's the real way, but if you imagine another one you can get some complex rhythms. It comes from here. Or here.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:42 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:02 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

I keep going back and re-reading this. I assume there's a joke there, but I'm just not getting it. Anyway, I could try logarithms. I assume you use one of these to get logarithms?

Spoiler:

I believe it may be a reference to this othercomic.

Which, speaking of decree, is obviously the first half of a pair with this other othercomic.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:29 pm UTC

Bicycle ONG

Taking a moment to ponder that possibility.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

mrob27

1190: Time: ¡THIS LAPLEOPARD IS KETCHUPPING ME!

Postby mrob27 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:46 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:I believe it may be a reference to this othercomic.

Which, speaking of decree, is obviously the first half of a pair with this other othercomic.

That's all well and good as long as we combine them with this timeless classic (which I'd suggest is the prequel to the other two)
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:09 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

Spoiler:

I believe it may be a reference to this othercomic.

Ah, thank you! I didn't remember that one. And yes, you and mrob have come up with a great xkcd trilogy!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:05 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And yes, you and mrob have come up with a great xkcd trilogy!
And taixzo - xe was the one that started putting it together per the decree. I wasn't being as reverent. :)

Jose

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:48 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

Sustainabilizer

Re: 1190: Um… "Time"

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:28 am UTC

bsta #224 wrote:
Locate the characters

Tape not aligned?

You didn't touch anything, did you?

> …

Um… I was pretty sure that I didn't touch anything, but …

Now there is an “> Um…” which wasn't there before!

Maybe the question is who is addressed by the “You”.
Who are we at the moment? The author? The player of the game? fth? b? kxa?
Who am I?
Pondering …

ETA: “(tape not aligned?”
There was a tape. We (= the player of the game) flipped it and let it play for some while. Then we (= the author) flipped it again. So the tape has been reeled back a little. Maybe that's what the error message is referring to as “not aligned”.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”