Ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on, brah!

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Eebster the Great

Ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on, brah!

Postby Eebster the Great » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:22 am UTC

I heard this song again recently, and it struck me that I had always associated the pronunciation "brah" with fraternities in American universities, or more generally, with other male-dominated American cultures like surfing. It's hard to find references to this pronunciation existing in England in the late 60s, but then, it would be. The origin of the title, sometimes falsely labeled Yoruban, is an interesting point of contention itself, but I think the end of the line is pure McCartney. So is "brah" just a thing that exists in England too?

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Re: Ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on, brah!

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:53 am UTC

According to Wikipedia:
The tag line "ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on, brah" was an expression used by Nigerian conga player Jimmy Scott-Emuakpor, an acquaintance of McCartney.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----
NiteSciFi, sci-fi forum that needs more members

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:30 am UTC

I'm aware, but the actual expression, as I understand it, was just "Ob-la-di, ob-la-da."

That said, maybe they were just fitting the rhyme.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:22 am UTC

I may have learnt something new today, if I'm not getting the wrong cultural reference. Pretty much every time I've heard it it's been sung-along to (at least the chorus) and the fellow discotequers (to my ears, and thus do I also add with my voice-vote) go "wooOOH-oh!" instead of anything like "brah". I must take time to listen to it outside of an obviously misguided crowd drowning out the true original.

(Next thing you know, you're going to tell me that Billy Ocean didn't keep singing "Go and get stuffed (when the tough get going)", at all those parties hosted by Lady Mondegreen!)

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:53 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:I may have learnt something new today, if I'm not getting the wrong cultural reference. Pretty much every time I've heard it it's been sung-along to (at least the chorus) and the fellow discotequers (to my ears, and thus do I also add with my voice-vote) go "wooOOH-oh!" instead of anything like "brah". I must take time to listen to it outside of an obviously misguided crowd drowning out the true original.

Same here. Now I need to go check for myself.

(I'm probably long overdue for a revisit of the White Album, anyway...)
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:59 am UTC

I had always heard the -ah vowel, but I had never connected it to the word "brah" until recently.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”