Where Aren't They Now (Obituaries)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

commodorejohn

Re: Where Aren't They Now (Obituaries)

Postby commodorejohn » Tue May 15, 2018 5:02 pm UTC

Which reminds me, I really need to get around to reading The Painted Word one of these days.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun May 27, 2018 3:24 am UTC

Sean Alan Bean, one of the 12 astronauts to walk on the moon, dies.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun May 27, 2018 3:27 am UTC

*halts tiny heart attack in progress*

Hard to feel sorry that someone lived to 86 and also got to walk on the fucking moon. Respect, sir.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun May 27, 2018 6:50 am UTC

I don't feel sorry for him. I just, well, all the astronauts are getting old and soon no living human will have ever set foot on anywhere but Earth.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun May 27, 2018 2:49 pm UTC

Well maybe we'll start colonizing before that happens.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun May 27, 2018 4:37 pm UTC

They will likely die within a decade. We will likely not be on Mars/Moon in that time.

Raidri

Postby Raidri » Mon May 28, 2018 11:27 am UTC

The original prognosis was for 2030, but we are currently below the 50% curve with four living moon men.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 28, 2018 3:13 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:They will likely die within a decade. We will likely not be on Mars/Moon in that time.
Kennedy's moon speech was in 1962. We landed on the moon seven years later, in 1969, from a standing start using slide rules.

If we really wanted to, we could be there next year. We could build up a significant infrastructure inside of ten years. At this point it pretty much depends on three or four people, and their evaluation of the financial risks and rewards of doing so. But note that this time it wouldn't be a hazardous exploration at the boundary of science, technology, and the world, it would be a civilian joyride. The bar for acceptable risk is much higher, and that more than anything is what will probably hold us back.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon May 28, 2018 4:03 pm UTC

If the US offered the moon landing as a one-way trip, we would still have had enough volunteers...

And the US didn't start from scratch with Kennedy. NASA was created in 1958 by Eisenhower.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 28, 2018 4:38 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:And the US didn't start from scratch with Kennedy. NASA was created in 1958 by Eisenhower.
Yes, and that came from NACA, and the V2 was already a thing... No, we didn't start in 1962 with just sticks and loincloths. But still, way back compared to where we are now.

CorruptUser wrote:If the US offered the moon landing as a one-way trip, we would still have had enough volunteers...
Volunteers isn't the limiting factor. The public would not stand for killing people in space on a commercial joyride they way they would accept the death of a brave explorer attempting to break through the limits of human exploration for all mankind.

Although maybe I'm wrong. Where's the outrage for robot car deaths? "Oops. We'll try harder next time...promise!"

We could do it in a year if we wanted to. Do we?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:21 pm UTC

Raidri wrote:The original prognosis was for 2030, but we are currently below the 50% curve with four living moon men.

Not much. Follow it up to "4 left" and you the 50 percentile is before 2020. The "5th percentile" is way down by 2015. So while it does look a bit below 50%, it isn't by much. Obviously we need to send more. Preferably me.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:40 pm UTC

I would be all for bouncing along for a stretch of moonwalking for sure. I would not be so much down for all the things required to get there and back. (NASA would probably reject me as a potential astronaut the moment I came within sight of them.)
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:04 am UTC

I would be cool with a space elevator and spacecraft with artificial gravity.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:51 pm UTC

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:48 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:If the US offered the moon landing as a one-way trip, we would still have had enough volunteers...
Volunteers isn't the limiting factor. The public would not stand for killing people in space on a commercial joyride they way they would accept the death of a brave explorer attempting to break through the limits of human exploration for all mankind.

Although maybe I'm wrong. Where's the outrage for robot car deaths? "Oops. We'll try harder next time...promise!"

Jose

I love the idea of it. I have no real problems with someone taking crazy risks or dying for space exploration. Provided that's what they want, of course. Volunteers? Cool, your choice, bud.

I think it could be pretty easily sold to the public. Particularly if it were merely very high risk, rather than straight up death. Folks are generally fairly accepting of others undergoing risk for their amusement.

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:01 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

I love the idea of it. I have no real problems with someone taking crazy risks or dying for space exploration. Provided that's what they want, of course. Volunteers? Cool, your choice, bud.

I think it could be pretty easily sold to the public. Particularly if it were merely very high risk, rather than straight up death. Folks are generally fairly accepting of others undergoing risk for their amusement.

You would need some kind of tangible goal for it to really get public support. For example, we're sending these people to establish a base, and here are some things we'll be able to do as a result of having a base on the moon; and here are the reasons why those things are worth the money and effort and lives...

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:00 pm UTC

To take the fight to the Martians!

(Given I've just added to the critques of HG Wells in the Trump thread, it seems silly to complain that there's talk in here that should be better either in a given Science thread or the 65 Years comic thread, but, like, *hint hint*.)

'Bonus' obituraries, to re-rail things, are a queen's siater (which I might have posted/ETAed earlier, after making the Springfellow post, and the fashion designer you might have heard about yesterday. Neither very related to me or possibly normally that notable, but seemingly linked by being (independent) suicides. Maybe a blip, maybe not the best reason to now remember them (assuming that we otherwise wouldn't quite so much), but still veering back towards on-topic. (Though to be discussed further, if at all, in a different thread!)

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:25 pm UTC

There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:00 pm UTC

I just saw this in the news. Interesting how some of the people best at making others happy have such a war going on inside themselves.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:29 pm UTC

It's to be expected. The comedy is there to help them deal with or distract them from the pain. Because life is terrible, and laughter is how we deal with life. At least according to psychic Martian-Jesus.
I've found out why people laugh. They laugh because it hurts so much ... because it's the only thing that'll make it stop hurting.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:28 pm UTC

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/21/famous-g ... 6-7648488/

Hanabi-ko "Koko" died in her sleep Wednesday 6/20/2018 at the age of 46. Truly sad. I remember as a child being quite fascinated by her story.

I feel this is an appropriate place for this story - anybody who disagrees doesn't really understand the importance of Koko's impact on the world's view of primates and animals in general.
(terran/protoss/zerg/fascist fuck)

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:07 pm UTC

Signs; Night-Night, Sleep Tight, Koko."
"Thank you for being here."
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:30 pm UTC

My favorite moment from Koko was when she said she was smarter than humans. Why? Because should could sign in human but humans couldn't speak gorilla...

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:54 am UTC

Source?
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----
NiteSciFi, sci-fi forum that needs more members

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:10 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:Source?
You are so polite.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:31 am UTC

Source, please?
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----
NiteSciFi, sci-fi forum that needs more members

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:29 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:I don't want you to die.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:14 pm UTC

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:48 pm UTC

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:46 pm UTC

Since you cannot tell from your post, this is in reference to someone named "Peter Firmin" that I have never heard of and don't care about.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write a descriptive post? Do you think there's something so incredibly interesting in that article that we all must read, but know that if we knew what it was about that we wouldn't click it, and thus the only way to actually get us to click the link like you have decided we must is to just be deliberately vague?
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:04 pm UTC

DavidSh wrote:Science fiction writer Harlan Ellison died this past Wednesday night.

And on Thursday night, The Grim Reaper was sued for copyright infringement on the whole "death" thing.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:33 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:

Since you cannot tell from your post, this is in reference to someone named "Peter Firmin" that I have never heard of and don't care about.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write a descriptive post? Do you think there's something so incredibly interesting in that article that we all must read, but know that if we knew what it was about that we wouldn't click it, and thus the only way to actually get us to click the link like you have decided we must is to just be deliberately vague?

I wrote a lot, the first time. Way too much. So I edited it down, and down, and down to avoid those arguments.

I should have left in the bit about "Perhaps only of interest to UK folks of a certain age (except that The Clangers has been reborn, recently, and probably goes out on BBC Worldwide and other international channels that have picked up this language-neutral little joy of broadcasting that, the overdubbed local narrator aside, many people insist has them whistling in their language)", or however I clumsily phrased it the first time round.

Ok, so you aren't familiar with The Clangers (my main reference there, and search for The Clangers on Youtube/etc to learn why). Sorry. Probably you've never seen anything with Bagpuss or Noggin or Ivor. Like I (originally, before deleting it) said, he probably doesn't mean much to everyone. But I thought him worth noting, even if I made such a hash of the end result (and the BBC URIs don't follow the format of quoting their article titles in them, unlike other places, as a handy hover-over note), because he has meant a lot to many people.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:18 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Soupspoon wrote:
Thesh wrote:

I wrote a lot, the first time. Way too much. So I edited it down, and down, and down to avoid those arguments.

I should have left in the bit about "Perhaps only of interest to UK folks of a certain age (except that The Clangers has been reborn, recently, and probably goes out on BBC Worldwide and other international channels that have picked up this language-neutral little joy of broadcasting that, the overdubbed local narrator aside, many people insist has them whistling in their language)", or however I clumsily phrased it the first time round.

Ok, so you aren't familiar with The Clangers (my main reference there, and search for The Clangers on Youtube/etc to learn why). Sorry. Probably you've never seen anything with Bagpuss or Noggin or Ivor. Like I (originally, before deleting it) said, he probably doesn't mean much to everyone. But I thought him worth noting, even if I made such a hash of the end result (and the BBC URIs don't follow the format of quoting their article titles in them, unlike other places, as a handy hover-over note), because he has meant a lot to many people.

If you're having that much trouble composing a post for this thread keep in mind "[name],[age] died on [date]" is simple and to the point. Perhaps a second line of something purely factual like "He/She worked on [project]" in cases where the person's name might be not that well known but something they did would be (like being behind the scenes at a TV show).

Beyond just this thread; even on articles that put the article title in the link, NEVER rely on that, always post the title and/or a single line "TL;DR" synopsis of the article. People browsing on phones or tablets can't see those "handy over-notes".
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:28 pm UTC

Well, Soupspoon; I care and respect your childhood experience.
Bob Ross, Mr. Rogers and Kermit might not touch the heart of Thesh, either.

I learned about the Yawning Cat and the positive, wholesome BBC children's programing.
I think I am a better person for it.

Thank you for bringing the life and death of the creator of The Cat, The Rats and the Fox to us.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:55 pm UTC

Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:53 pm UTC

WW2 Spitfire* pilot, Mary Ellis.

* - And other planes.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:13 pm UTC

Bow gifted by adnapemit.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:20 pm UTC

World's now-oldest person does fistpump, takes nap after all that work.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:53 am UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45074955

So, farewell Barry Chuckle.

*sad voice* "To me... to me... to me..."
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:15 pm UTC

ElWanderer wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45074955

So, farewell Barry Chuckle.

*sad voice* "To me... to me... to me..."

Ah that's sad.

Something from that article I didn't know:
Two older brothers, Jimmy and Brian, also formed a double-act, the Patton Brothers, and have appeared on ChuckleVision

Gee I wonder why the "Patton Brothers" were less successful than the Chuckle Brothers.

Return to “News & Articles”