Secret Santa 2017 Endgame - Merry Christmas

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

LaserGuy

Secret Santa 2017 Endgame - Merry Christmas

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:18 am UTC

Carol of the Elves
Secret Santa 2017

Hark all you elves
Sweet little elves
It's time to say
We're not okay

Christmas is here,
But it is clear
We must be bold
Not be controlled

Union union
To right the wrong
Throw out the king
End suffering

So do not fear
Freedom is here
Go and prepare
Leap from the snare

Never back down
The time is now
Let us not fail
We shall prevail

Rise up and sing
End suffering
Show them no fear
Christmas is here

Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas!
Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas!

Rules:

Mods: LaserGuy & Peaceful Whale
Speed: 7 day Days, Nightless. Extensions around Christmas and other busy times if necessary.
Bastardry: Moderate. Closed setup with high likelihood of some crazy roles. We'll do our best to balance, but no guarantees.

Standard Rules:
Spoiler:
1. Do not talk about the game outside of this thread, apart from a properly labeled spoiler in the discussion thread.
2. Please stay on topic at all times.
3. Lurking is frowned upon; if you need to drop out, please let me know as soon as possible. If someone feels that another player isn't contributing to game play, please make me aware. Modkills will be handed out if replacement cannot be found without regard to balance.
4. If you aren't part of this game, please do not post in the thread.
5. Once it is nighttime, do not post in the thread.
6. You may not quote the contents of any PM related to this game, but you can paraphrase.
7. If you have been killed in game, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information. Or something along those lines, without giving out any information or hints to anyone still playing.
8. You may not edit your posts unless explicitly told to do so by the mod (which is not in any way expected to happen).
9. You cannot ruin the game for other players.
10. You must play to achieve your win condition.
11. Please make an effort to include the mods on all PMs. Mistakes happen but make me aware if they do.
12. All votes must be bolded and on a separate line. Unvotes are preferred but not required. If I miss something, let us know.

Game Specific Rules (IMPORTANT: Please Read):

1. In general, days will last for 7 days. Nights will last for as long as it takes us to process night actions. Adjustments will be made to accommodate holidays, or for other reasons if the mods deem it necessary.

2. You may post in thread during the day phase but not the night phase. It is night as soon as the mod posts a day-end post, or a hammer vote is cast, in which case it is automatically night, whether or not a mod has made a day-end post. Note that this means you may not post content after a hammer vote.

3. Do not lurk! One post per real-life day is the recommended minimum. Consideration will be given for weekends and holidays. If you are going to be away for an extended period, please let us know. Otherwise, you will be prodded after 48 hours of inactivity. Failure to respond to a prod within 48 hours will result in a replacement or modkill.

4. You may not use encryption systems in order to communicate privately or circumvent these rules.

5. In the event of a tied vote, the result will be No Lynch. Players may choose to vote No Lynch instead of casting a normal vote. If there is a tied vote between a player and No Lynch, then it is a No Lynch.

6. Any night actions must be sent by PM before the end of the day. Please send your night action via PM. It is your responsibility to ensure that your night action is submitted on-time. If a hammer vote is placed, there will be a short grace period to submit night actions, but generally actions must be received before end of day.

7. You can send backup actions but don't make the conditions too complicated. You can change your night action at any time up until the end of day.

8. This setup is closed and moderately bastard. We will not lie to you or provide misleading information, but may choose not to answer questions. Generally, we will not answer questions about how a particular role will interact with another claimed or hypothetical role. Some roles may have hidden elements or have somewhat bastard mechanics subject to the restrictions indicated at the bottom of this section.

9. Please abide by any posting restrictions or other restrictions on your abilities. Failure to do so will result in a mod penalty up to and including a modkill.

10. You may not, under any circumstances, claim the name, flavor or abilities of the role that you submitted. Please do not attempt to circumvent this rule (e.g. mass claiming "I did not submit a cop" is not acceptable). Violators will suffer severe penalties. Claiming your received role is fine as long as you do not directly quote from the PM.

11. The flavor and abilities of submitted roles may have been altered at the mods' discretion. Players will not be informed if their role has been changed from its original conception.

12. Roles have been randomly assigned to alignments. Due to the nature of the roles submitted, we make no guarantees of balance.

13. All private communications between players are Daychat.

14. We will announce MMYLO (maybe MYLO) and LLYLO (likely LYLO). These conditions will be announced solely based on the number of players remaining in the game and will not take into account any powers or potential interactions between them.

15. [Duplicate removed]

Sample Town role PM:
Spoiler:
You are Vanilla Elf

For many years you have been a dedicated worker at Santa's workshop, but you have come to realise that you can no longer tolerate the oppression that your people face.

Abilities:
You have no abilities but your vote.

You are a member of the union (Town) and win when all threats to Town are eliminated.

Sample Scum role PM:
Spoiler:
You are Elf Goon

You are a dedicated worker at Santa's workshop and cannot understand why anyone would oppose your glorious leader. The unionists have gone too far and it is time to end this rebellion once and for all.

You’re tired of these so called “unionists”, and you’ve put your foot down. It’s time that you and [scum buddy] did something about this mess. You’re going to stop this revellion even if you’ve got to kill every single elf in this department. You and [scum buddy] have secret phones, hidden to look like candy canes, use your chat wisely to coordinate. But don’t forget, you’ve got a stash of exploding presents, ready to go boom. (PM Peaceful Whale or LaserGuy in this format. [Name of killer] night kills [name of nightkill])

You are a member of Loyalists (Scum) and win when all threats to your side are eliminated or this outcome is inevitable.

Submitted Role Mechanics:
Spoiler:
1. Roles should be playable by any faction
2. Players removed from the game may not be brought back to life
3. No spoiler-reading roles.
4. No flavor-writing/influencing roles.
5. No alignment-changing roles.
6. Flips will reveal all role details including hidden mechanics
7. We will do our best to keep the roles that players submit intact, but we reserve the right to alter the roles as necessary to make the game fun for everyone

Please confirm receipt of your role PM. D1 will begin when a majority of players have confirmed.
Last edited by LaserGuy on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:16 am UTC, edited 7 times in total.

LaserGuy

Re: Secret Santa Pregame - Carol of the Elves

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:19 am UTC

Player List:

1. wam
2. Sabrar
3. somitomi
4. Liri
5. Madge (I like coming up with roles so I'm signing up to play woooooo)
6. jimbobmacdoodle
7. plytho
8. moody7277
9. Maven89
10. bessie

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:32 am UTC

Got my PM! I'm so excited!

Just in case anyone else misunderstood this rule on first reading:

LaserGuy wrote:10. You may not, under any circumstances, claim the name, flavor or abilities of the role that you submitted. Please do not attempt to circumvent this rule (e.g. mass claiming "I did not submit a cop" is not acceptable). Violators will suffer severe penalties. Claiming your received role is fine as long as you do not directly quote from the PM.

We can't claim the role we submitted at all (so no "I believe LaserGuy's claim because I submitted that role", or "I submitted that role but it had a night kill as well - LIAR"), but we can claim the role we received freely (subject to usual rules about direct quoting from role PMs).

(mods feel free to correct me but I think I got it right)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:35 am UTC

Madge wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:10. You may not, under any circumstances, claim the name, flavor or abilities of the role that you submitted. Please do not attempt to circumvent this rule (e.g. mass claiming "I did not submit a cop" is not acceptable). Violators will suffer severe penalties. Claiming your received role is fine as long as you do not directly quote from the PM.

We can't claim the role we submitted at all (so no "I believe LaserGuy's claim because I submitted that role", or "I submitted that role but it had a night kill as well - LIAR"), but we can claim the role we received freely (subject to usual rules about direct quoting from role PMs).

(mods feel free to correct me but I think I got it right)

Yes, that is correct.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:44 am UTC

Confirm.

Any particular reason for rules 5 and 15 being the same?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:47 am UTC

Copy error on my part. Fixed.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:50 am UTC

Confirm.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:15 am UTC

Confirm
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:23 am UTC

Confirm
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:33 am UTC

Confirm.
Last week of the semester is upon me, so I might be even more lurkier than usual on D1. Apologies in advance.
—◯-◯

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:35 pm UTC

Confirm.

This weekend is busy (playing The Nutcracker six times, appropriately) but then it's biscuits.
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:51 pm UTC

Is 7/10 enough majority for D1 to start?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:52 pm UTC

Confirmed.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:01 pm UTC

Okay I think that’s enough people. ...
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:02 pm UTC

Note: LaserGuy will come later and give us the exact date and time that night starts and D2 starts. I don’t trust myself to do that.
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:03 pm UTC

O say can you see, by the great northern lights,
What so proudly we built just in time for next Christmas
All those dolls, trains and games for the world's good children
Wrapped in white red and green, many boxes need filling.
And the sleigh's red glare, Santa flying in air
Gave gifts through the night and joy everywhere
O say to those children Merry Christmas
may your hearts fill with cheer; have a Happy New Year.

James figured with his tie, a toddlers clip-on but it sat from his chin to his belt loop. A benefit of being 3’ 6” was the affordable suits. However, being waist high compared to the average human was definitely not one of them. Actually, it might be he thought as serving girl walked past in a particularly tight dress. Shaking his head he waddled over to the bar. It sat a good foot above his head. Well no matter, he wasn’t here for a drink. He rapped lightly on a discolored maple panel. Creaking could be heard, and shortly thereafter the door swung open in silent hinges. He was greeted by ferocious sight. A chubby little women, a good inch shorty than James was. A bright purple party hat clashed with the black suit this gal wore. None of that was any cause for alarm, elves were known for their horrible sense of fashion, of course they didn’t know that. What really soured James’s egg-nog was the position this women had, the dreaded shift manager. James pushed pass the women, and didn’t meet her eyes, she knew who he was, the black trench coat should have given it away. His style was well known. And so was his profession. Her tentative steps could be heard behind him as he sulked down the steps. Not a single one creaked and each looked to be newly polished. A little unknown fact; most elves have OCD. Making them excellent workers, their minds were their own quality check. Casually he straightened a bust of the big guy with his finger, but his anger at seeing a tyrant being portrayed as anything else, especially “jolly” sent anger scraping down his back. In his near-rage, he flicked it a little bit too hard, and it fell to the floor, clattering down the steps till it reached the floor. The shift manager behind him gasped. James smirked behind his collar, let her see the sight of her god be tarnished, he was about to do worse.

Reaching the last step he strode confidently into the the room. The people inside stopped and stared at him, they had previously been looking at the big man’s bust, a corner had cracked, causing them to gasp and stare at it before he entered. Now they were looking at him, a unionist, standing in front of them, deep inside the “free ice”. He’d had walked into their annual Christmas party, just as he planned. He used to be one of them, until he had expressed un-Christmas views, and had been shipped out of the continent, sent to a rehabilitation camp. Now however after breaking out of it, he was hear to free his people from the oppressive dictatorship they suffered from. He stepped onto the frame in front of him, destroying Santa’s face, shattering it behind repair. “My brothers and sisters, I’m hear to see you from the oppression that you’ve suffered far too long from.”

All the elves stared at James, what was he doing here? He had obviously not finished his rehabilitation, not with him standing here spewing forth blasphemy! Silence covered the room like a delicate blanket of snow, making one worried to take step or a large breath, lest the shatter it. The dreaded moment came, when someone grabbed a gift from under the tree, and threw it towards James. “Take a present won’t you?” The following explosion rocked the floor and ceiling, James’s remains were completely gone, save it were his shoes, covered in a thin film of dust. Screams sounded, but none were louder than the poor shift manager’s, everyone knew she had a crush on James, except of corse James himself, who simply saw her as a shift manager.
People rushed about, trying to find out what had happened, a waist elf suggested that no one should touch the present, for they were obviously trapped, look what happened to poor old James!
After the hysteria had ended, people began to look suspicious at each other, they knew that this day had been coming for a long time. Their were many union members in the crowd, and their opponents loyalists. The loyalists would keep theses people under control and working like oxen if they could have their way, while the unionist would free the poor townspeople of these tyrants. This was going to be one very, very merry Christmas.

Day one has begun! Players may now post freely as long as it obeys the rules! Night actions must be submitted before deadline! Have a very merry Christmas elves!
Spoiler:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:06 pm UTC

Vote: wam

for signing up before me but not confirming. Clearly scum-lurker.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:09 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:Note: LaserGuy will come later and give us the exact date and time that night starts and D2 starts. I don’t trust myself to do that.

If I remember the setup correctly, the difference in those is the length of time it takes the mod to process actions this being a "nightless" game.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:12 pm UTC

:face slap:

Yeah you’re right, ignore me.... this is why LaserGuy should do this.

Ahem, correction, LaserGuy will give us D1 deadline soon. I think he’s asleep right now.
Spoiler:

wam

Postby wam » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:13 pm UTC

Confirm!
I am travelling for work but will be home tomorrow.

vote Bessie for taking even longer than me to confirm
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 pm UTC

Okay, wam-bessie scum-team is probably a no-go. Probably wam-Maven as well.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:20 pm UTC

And I realised that Bessie had confirmed but I missed it due to an avatar change. So let's leave my vote on Bessie, new avatars new alignment.

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:22 pm UTC

Vote: moody

I always seem to read him as scummy.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:25 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Probably wam-Maven as well.
I take this back. Scum-team is wam+Maven, gg.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:30 pm UTC

Vote plytho

My power is being top secret masons with SDK and he says you're obscum
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:41 pm UTC

I claim cult. :D

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:47 pm UTC

Why?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 pm UTC

Vote: Liri

This is your official "Welcome to forum mafia" random vote.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:54 pm UTC

Why not?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:04 pm UTC

BTW I have a meta-read of bessie being Town. :lol:

wam

Postby wam » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:16 pm UTC

Everyone has a meta read on Bessie being town.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:19 pm UTC

But mine is special.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:33 pm UTC

I'm not sure what to make of Sabrar being this goofy.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:34 pm UTC

Vote Sabrar

Cults are best nipped in the bud early. Also, he clearly has super-secret setup knowledge with his special meta read of bessie.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:50 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:I'm not sure what to make of Sabrar being this goofy.

I finally get to play Jester. :)

LaserGuy

Secret Santa Day 1 - Carol of the Elves

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:09 pm UTC

Current votals:

wam (1) - Sabrar
bessie (1) - wam
moody (1) - plytho
plytho (1) - Madge
Liri (1) - moody
Sabrar (1) - jimbobmacdoodle

It is Day 1. With 10 players, it takes 6 to lynch!

Deadline in 7 days

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:20 pm UTC

I’m super busy with work this week we’re having an audit (and from the looks of things I’ll be super busy next week responding to nonconformances :( ) so I will be doing most of my posting on nights and weekends.

Sabrar wrote:Is 7/10 enough majority for D1 to start?
:lol: You only sat out one game and already… :) ... :lol:

Sabrar

Re: Secret Santa Day 1 - Carol of the Elves

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:26 pm UTC

That was one game too many. :)

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:45 pm UTC

I've got a few minutes so time for some random setup speculation. 10 man game probably means two scum plus one anti-town indie (3 scum would mean only one mislynch before MYLO). 8 town meanwhile feels a little too town-favouring, unless scum has significantly more powerful abilities than town.

As for the sort of roles to expect, I doubt there'll be many true standard roles, but plenty that are minor variants or hybrids of normal roles. I'll be very surprised if there isn't at least one truly crazy role out there. From memory, redirectors were a common theme in recent Secret Santas, so I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of them. Conditional abilities also wouldn't surprise me (I.e. usable only under certain circumstances).

By the way, if anybody has a day vig, they definitely should use it on Sabrar now. He's way too excited for this game.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:50 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:By the way, if anybody has a day vig, they definitely should use it on Sabrar now.

I AM THE DAY-VIG

Return to “Mafia”