xkcd Game Jam (Nov 17-20) / which xkcd comics would be awesome as a game?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

XavierKCD

xkcd Game Jam (Nov 17-20) / which xkcd comics would be awesome as a game?

Postby XavierKCD » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:49 am UTC

Hey everyone! :D

I'm hosting xkcd Game Jam from November 17-20 2017, where you create a game in a weekend based on your favourite xkcd comic or 'what if?' article!

I'll also be giving out some Steam game prizes (out of my own pocket) for top-ranking entries and participants who give good feedback, and I've arranged a long list of YouTubers/streamers to play and give feedback on your entries.
Also, we have a Discord community for the jam which you should totally join!

This jam is of course a tribute to the awesome work of Randall Munroe, and hopefully he'll see all the awesome xkcd-inspired games that get created 8-)

It'd be awesome to see you all participate!
And even if you can't, let's use this thread to discuss what xkcd comics would make interesting games :idea:

XavierKCD

Re: xkcd Game Jam (Nov 17-20) / which xkcd comics would be awesome as a game?

Postby XavierKCD » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:33 pm UTC

This starts in less than a week! There should be some really interesting xkcd-inspired games for you all to play later next week :D

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:19 am UTC

Are you promoting this anywhere else? The forums are almost dead nowadays, so I'm not sure how many people you can reach here.

Generally I'm interested in participating (as it is a nice warmup for Ludum Dare two weeks later), but maybe not. University schedules are always so fickle. *sigh*

XavierKCD

Postby XavierKCD » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:01 am UTC

raudorn wrote:Are you promoting this anywhere else? The forums are almost dead nowadays, so I'm not sure how many people you can reach here.

Generally I'm interested in participating (as it is a nice warmup for Ludum Dare two weeks later), but maybe not. University schedules are always so fickle. *sigh*

Yup! I'm promoting it all over the place, and we've got over 200 signups so far so it seems to have worked :P

Would be great to see you join in, even if it's just something short and simple!

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:01 am UTC

Don't start working on the game prior to the game jam, as it isn't fair to other participants starting from scratch. However, you may use publicly-available assets if you have permission and mention this when submitting (there'll be a textbox).
You can use any engine, including one you made yourself.
• If I have some code from other games that isn't game-specific (e.g. some keyboard handling and code to keep a constant framerate) does using that count as using an engine or starting early?
• Do I need/have permission to use xkcd comics themselves? (My current idea has almost all of the art taken directly from xkcd.)

(Edit: Hope it is allowed, since I've already started.)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

XavierKCD

Postby XavierKCD » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:29 am UTC

chridd wrote:
Don't start working on the game prior to the game jam, as it isn't fair to other participants starting from scratch. However, you may use publicly-available assets if you have permission and mention this when submitting (there'll be a textbox).
You can use any engine, including one you made yourself.
• If I have some code from other games that isn't game-specific (e.g. some keyboard handling and code to keep a constant framerate) does using that count as using an engine or starting early?
• Do I need/have permission to use xkcd comics themselves? (My current idea has almost all of the art taken directly from xkcd.)

(Edit: Hope it is allowed, since I've already started.)

Yeah it's fine to use any previous non-game-specific code!

RE: using xkcd comics, according to xkcd.com's about page it seems like that'd be fine, as long as it's non-commercial.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:32 am UTC

XavierKCD wrote:RE: using xkcd comics, according to xkcd.com's about page it seems like that'd be fine, as long as it's non-commercial.
Wait, I think I may have misinterpreted something. When it says "if you have permission" did you mean from the person who made the asset? (That would probably make more sense than how I interpreted it. I thought it meant that we had to get your permission in order to use any assets...)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

Return to “Gaming”