The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Evil George Washington

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:44 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
I think there are three scum. That is why I may have been wrong on my teams. It seems it is Sabrar Laser Red Ryu. We may be screwed at this point.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:46 am UTC

Crossover:

Spoiler:
I just want to say I am quietly PISSED. I tried to logon before deadline despite having a lot of assignment due and I start writing up my post and as I'm about to post it I see that night has JUST BEEN DECLARED WHILE I WAS WRITING.

Nobody's fault but man, I wasted a good 20 minutes of valuable assignment-doing time.

Post below:
------

Needless to say I grossly underestimated how much time I'd be able to finish my assignment in. I normally get things done pretty quickly but I spent all day and all night on it yesterday and the first draft and first round of corrections is only barely done. With all the other demands on my time I don't think I'll make another post before deadline.

Also, 6 pages is a lot. I'm starting this combined post/catch up read at 8:24am my time, and I'm going to stop at 9:00am regardless of the state of completion. I have to leave to hand in my assignment at about 1 hour before the game's deadline, and the trip takes an hour, so needless to say I will not be online at deadline.

I notice people are talking about "killing team" vs "non-killing team" vs "town", is this in any way confirmed? Like how confident are we of this? I think it's likely (60-70%), but I likely missed something because of how slammed I've been.

Responses:

Red can't be Mafia, because Bessie was Mafia and Red would have protected her.

That's assuming Red is actually a doctor, which we don't actually know for sure. Could be, say, a roleblocker that leaves notes, or a note sender, or have thought that there's no way the scum-team-with-a-kill would target Bessie who might be protected. I don't think you can eliminate Red Ryu from contention like that.

I feel like bessie's flip and the possible power interactions that might lead to it should have been the kind of thing that Madge would have been interested in analyzing, but she hasn't really engaged in it.

In between being at my job and working on my assignment since last Friday morning, I've not had time to walk the dog let alone analyse power interactions. I wish I could have because it's what I look forward to. I just haven't been available all game-Day. Sorry.

Laserguy's case on mpolo: I like it, though it does hinge on mpolo using his SK role details to claim his bus driver role. Also, there's evidence of bus driver, and I'm wondering if they'd give an SK a bus driver role? Then again, the roles we've seen so far have been weird, so it's not unbelievable.

I've never seen Madge ignoring the game to this extent before, some of it I can accept comes from irl plus frustration about the 'slot'-issue but this detachment seems too much.

You've never seen Madge playing a game without topic reply notifications either. You've never seen Madge play a game with a speed such as this. You've never seen Madge be treated this poorly by other players. You've never seen Madge play a game where the day start and end is basically exactly tied to the time she's spending working on an assignment that is taking more than twice as long as she could have anticipated (I mean seriously, I have spent like 20 hours on the assignment this week at this point).

Can we at least agree that slot is not worth defending anymore?

STOP IT. HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU.

I'm happy lynching mpolo or boomfrog.

... wait ther ewas hammer???
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:36 am UTC

Crossover Mafia

Spoiler:
Maven89 wrote: Town looks like it's going to self destruct. Shame. I'm really surprised everyone dropped the "two mafia faction" idea Day 2, I feel like day1lynch (sorry forgot his name) accepting it without question should have kept the idea in the spotlight
Yep, I was pushing two anti-town teams. Like usual, (1) once I commit to a setup spec I am almost always correct, and (2) no one else ever believes me. I left town everything they need, but meh, they ignored my reads, I’m used to it. They got stuck on trying to mechanically clear players, gaming the game, rather than scum hunting. Sabrar and I had a, umm, “disagreement” about this approach in X-Men mafia, and I threatened to vig kill him over it.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:lol
Excellent. 8-) Sabrar is going to be bouncing off the walls when he wakes up and sees that you haven’t called the game.

Best possible outcome: scum thinks that I had a recruit, and BoomFrog and Sabrar each spend the next three days wondering if I recruited the other one. Oh I hope they both lose some sleep over it. :twisted:

Georgemaru wrote:I will say, I don't mind if the game is over. I'm tired and I'm at a point where I'd just like to know who the mafia are and what was going on in the whole game.
I think the game is over, but if it’s not you won’t burn out. Not you. You’re what kept me going this game, even when we were no longer on the same team. You’re the one that motivated me to catch up and post every night, even when I was struggling and tired, and inspired me to do my best on D4 though I knew it was futile and I had already lost. My greatest disappointment was not that I was recruited, or that I died, or that I had two chats and no one with whom to chat. It’s that I could never figure out how to interact with you in the way you wanted me to interact, and that I still don’t quite understand what you wanted from me, but I feel I somehow let you down.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:47 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
bessie wrote:Yep, I was pushing two anti-town teams. Like usual, (1) once I commit to a setup spec I am almost always correct, and (2) no one else ever believes me.

Well, I straight out told everyone there were two teams here...but that was well into my troll phase so no one listen to Zathras.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:21 am UTC

Crossover

Spoiler:
maybe I wasn't too optimistic!

Unless yolo is keeping the possibility open that scum targets Red's protected target
he him his

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:46 am UTC

Crossover
Spoiler:
Hammer was worth it just for those reactions. :D
I'm pretty sure we've won and there's nothing Town can do to stop us but it will be a long 3+ days (depending on when YOLOSWAG will be available).

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:28 pm UTC

Oops, wrong thread.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

wam

Postby wam » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:44 am UTC

So what's next? Playing the faid game has got me back into this.

Unfortunately am too busy to mod right now.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:19 am UTC

I could mod something if people wanted, I think I need a break from playing. I'm guessing DJ isn't going to do a halloween game this year :( *cries*

I'm not good at serious flavour and am not a fan of horror at all, so I'm not sure I'd be able to do a halloween concept justice, especially because I don't know how to balance games so I'd probably end up choosing a setup from a wiki somewhere (or from 10 pages deep on this very forum, who can say?)

Who wants to mod secret santa this year? The tradition is that a new person mods it every year, and I think secret santa was my first real attempt at modding an actual mafia game, so it's a great way to give it a whirl.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:38 pm UTC

Madge wrote:I'm not good at serious flavour and am not a fan of horror at all, so I'm not sure I'd be able to do a halloween concept justice, especially because I don't know how to balance games so I'd probably end up choosing a setup from a wiki somewhere (or from 10 pages deep on this very forum, who can say?)

Nobody could come close to what DJ does flavor-wise, so I would hope that the expectations would be reasonable. I think something light and simple would be good for those who just got through with that marathon; does not apply to those of us who got taken out early or who were just watching.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:12 pm UTC

Well I am writing an urban fantasy romance novel, so I could riff on those sorts of tropes if I did it. I wouldn't be able to balance it though... I'll have to see if I can find some pre-made setups that aren't easy to find (so that aren't on like the mafiascum wiki). That way they could be a surprise.

Real ideal situation would be if someone who doesn't want to play but wants to write/check a setup wants to "co-mod"?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:29 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Real ideal situation would be if someone who doesn't want to play but wants to write/check a setup wants to "co-mod"?
Can do.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:41 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
Madge wrote:Real ideal situation would be if someone who doesn't want to play but wants to write/check a setup wants to "co-mod"?
Can do.

I obsessively check the forum and can co-mod! :D it sound fun!
Peaceful Whale wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Spell it out for me.
I-T

wam

Postby wam » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:30 pm UTC

Faid all along the watch tower - players should not read

Spoiler:
I am so rusty!!!

For anyone watching, I have the half win conditions.

1) no anti town left
2) survive!

i have a one shot immunity either lynch or NK but don't get told when it's used. So I could have been me that scum tried to NK and failed.

I was convinced about weeks being scum so apologies if you read this!

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:06 pm UTC

Looks like me and Sabrar will try and cobble together a Halloween game.

Flavour will be either True Blood (.... actually the only urban fantasy property I've seen), or something completely made up: at the moment I'm toying with The Werewolf of Wall Street. Neither are particularly spooky but I don't think anyone could live up to DJ's spookiness.

@Peaceful Whale: I appreciate the offer but I probably don't need a co-mod to help with counting the votes unless the game gets very large. You should definitely sign up to play, though!

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:41 pm UTC

Will do! :D
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:49 am UTC

Just put the halloween game into early signups: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=37971&p=4262066#p4262066

I haven't discussed specifics with Sabrar but I'm hoping to start in about a week?

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:15 am UTC

I will be taking a break, but I will read casually. :)

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:20 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Who wants to mod secret santa this year? The tradition is that a new person mods it every year, and I think secret santa was my first real attempt at modding an actual mafia game, so it's a great way to give it a whirl.

I'll give it a try. Might get a co-mod to help me balance the setup.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:49 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:
Sabrar wrote:
Can do.

I can co mode for secret Santa!
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:46 am UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:
Peaceful Whale wrote:
Sabrar wrote:
Can do.

I can co mode for secret Santa!

Sure PW, you can co-mod with me.

I'll set up a chat for us in a bit to discuss the setup. Probably won't start for about a month I guess, so no rush.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:11 am UTC

Ok.
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:33 am UTC

Would people prefer True Blood flavour or The Werewolf of Wall Street?

WoWS is probably going to be slightly easier for me as True Blood hasn't been on for like 3 years and I only watched it once, but True Blood has a hell of a lot of interesting characters that would make for great shorthand - not to mention being able to include pictures.

The stockbroker setup gives me more licence to "be myself" in terms of it being kind of silly, and I'm not sure I'll be able to "realistically" write the True Blood characters, but that's not everything...

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:48 am UTC

If you're more comfortable with Werewolf on Wall Street, I'd go with that. I like Madge originals :)

I haven't seen True Blood at all, so flavor there is lost on my anyway.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:46 am UTC

!!! True Blood AU where all the characters are stockbrokers :shock:

wam

Postby wam » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:16 pm UTC

Don't mind!

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:36 pm UTC

Werewolf of Wall Street it'll be!

Sabrar has just sent me a really cool looking setup for 9, so hopefully we can get 9 people. In a few hours I'll modify the description in the signup thread and hopefully we get over the line.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:45 am UTC

Because I want to see if we can squeeze out 9 players so we can use all the roles Sabrar made, I've made an advertisement in the games subforum like I did a few months ago for Bin Chicken Mafia: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=123726

Feel free to add your own encouraging posts on that thread or answer questions before I get to them, etc.

Fun fact: This is about my 5 year anniversary playing mafia here!!!!! Thank you to everyone for being a fun group to play with, even if it is a big ol' revolving door.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:12 am UTC

Madge wrote:Fun fact: This is about my 5 year anniversary playing mafia here!!!!! Thank you to everyone for being a fun group to play with, even if it is a big ol' revolving door.
And we only just passed my 2 year anniversary, since my first game was Draculafia!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:45 am UTC

Awesome! here's to many more.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:32 pm UTC

Congrats.

Just looked at mine 5.5 years but I did disappear for a few years...

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:58 am UTC

Werewolf of Wall Street (players may NOT read)

Spoiler:
I really love what Sabrar did with some of my rambling about love triangles and the "vengeful lover" concept I got from Dowan and Duvessa, enemy uniques in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

In short, the theme is that as you lose, you get stronger, so kind of like some "rubber banding" sort of thing happening.

The low bastardry is because there's one role that becomes a mason when a certain point of the game is reached, but their role PM seems to indicate they're vanilla (though they get the rolenames of two other characters in their PM).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:04 am UTC

Werewolf of Wall Street
Spoiler:
Madge gives me a lot of credit but she basically handed me 6 roles already figured out, I just completed the setup. There is some (hopefully) cool interaction between the indie and scum, I'm eager to see how that will turn out.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:22 am UTC

Werewolf of Wall Street

Spoiler:
Sabrar isn't giving himself enough credit: I was like "I want something to happen with a love triangle" and "I want a twist on lovers where they get enraged when their lover dies" and "I kind of like PGOs can we have one of those?" and he made it happen somehow.

Also, in a fit of Basic Human Decency, I'm making EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER gender neutral (let's see if anyone notices) and I'm going to try to use "execution" as an alternative for "lynch" in the daykill. The gender neutral stuff is more a personal challenge; the "trying to get rid of the word lynch" thing is because I remember a few years back someone asked about it and I always felt kind of weird about that sort of politically charged word being used in a game like this when I managed to come up with a workable if slightly less visceral alternative.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed but I used "execution" for daykill and "murder" for nightkill in Bin Chicken Mafia but I figured I'd take this moment to mention it was a thing I am doing.

EDIT: just realised I accidentally used the pronoun "he" in my flavour text :shock: I have fixed that now
Last edited by Madge on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:26 am UTC

WoWS:
Spoiler:
I'm the Vice President and Town. I have no abilities currently, but my role name and flavour say I have a love interest for the receptionist, but that I appear to be competing for her favour with the Chief Financial Officer.

I'm guessing a bit, but my theory is that if the CFO dies,
either the receptionist and I become lovers, and/or I gain some power. I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies for the CFO. I'm slightly concerned I might be secret one-way lovers though...
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:29 pm UTC

WoWS

Spoiler:
So, scum again. That makes three out of four games since I came back from my small hiatus. Nowhere near freezeblade's streak, but I can begin to see how annoying it is.

wam

Postby wam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:50 pm UTC

Wows

Spoiler:
town watcher checking in

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 pm UTC

Perfect timing Madge, I just died in the FaiD game...
WoWS
Spoiler:
Closed setup, now this is something I haven't experienced before. I wonder if Jimbob's right or Sabrar & Madge have worked out some interesting twist there. My ability is a little unusual (the player who night-kills me gets roleblocked the next night). Maybe I should try being a lightningnightkill rod...
"It's like he's his own alt account. Saves all the logging in and out."/poxic
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:50 pm UTC

Wow
Spoiler:
Uh, so right now I’m a vanilla townie, but am also aperently a “lover” with the receptionist... I asked Madge and sabrar, but they said it means nothing... for now...

I’m so confused..... well, at least I’ve got nothing to claim!
Peaceful Whale wrote:
I-T

wam

Postby wam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:53 pm UTC

wows @SDK

Spoiler:
Not trying to be rude just remember how good you were!

WOWS general

Spoiler:
So far so normal. Just have to remember how to do this. I do always prefer scum but oh well. Also probably why I tended to do better at it

Return to “Mafia”