1769: "Never seen Star Wars"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Yet-One-More-Idiot

Re: 1769: "Never seen Star Wars"

Postby Yet-One-More-Idiot » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:25 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:
Locoluis wrote:I've also been on the other side of the discussion, when I attempted to chat with English speakers about old anime shows like Heidi, Girl of the Alps, that were insanely popular in Latin America but haven't seen a decent English dub...

Hah, oh man. Around here stuff like that is kind of the exact inverse - things you've entirely forgotten about until somebody else mentions it out of the blue and it's "wait, you have seen that!?" I spent the longest time having vague memories about some cartoon about a girl and her stuffed koala bear that I was only half sure I'd actually seen and not hallucinated until somebody else on a forum brought up Noozles decades after the fact.

When I was little (like, 9 or 10), I used to watch a cartoon series of Peter Pan made by Fox called "Peter Pan and the Pirates". I mentioned it to my sister once, years later...she couldn't remember the show, and genuinely believed I had made the whole thing up (even though she used to watch it with me after school!). Then I found it mentioned online one day and she was like "O wow, I'd completely forgotten it even existed" (to which I was just like "yeah I know" xD)

jgh

Postby jgh » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:16 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
jgh wrote:railways ("So, the 60052 restoration, great eh?" Dunno, I'm interested in *railways*, not trains.)
I'm probably misunderstanding your distinction, but maybe this is similar to what I get with music. I've heard fellow sax players going on at length about their Selmer Mark VI with the double-balanced action, and my reaction is that I'm interested in playing jazz, not saxophones.

I'd quite like to see the Rillington Link relaid to put Whitby back on the main line, and put the Woodhead Line back in to restore the high-speed link between Sheffield and Manchester. What rolling stock is run on them I don't really care. Yeah, it's nice that people have put a lot of effort into preserving/conserving our engineering heritage, but I'm more interested in, in your terms, listening to jazz music than the fact this piece was played on a double-balanced Selmer Mark VI recipricating injected overhead camshaft weeble flobber turbo matrix sonic dipstick madeupword.

I've got detailed maps of where all the Sheffield tramways ran. I have no idea what actual vehicles ran on them beyond "electric tram".

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:24 pm UTC

Wee Red Bird wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:The thing about Arsenal is that they always try to walk it in.

Hooray. He's kicked the ball. Now the ball's over there. That man has it now. That's an interesting development. Maybe he'll kick the ball. He has indeed and apparently that deserves a round of applause.

I'm afraid they'll find out I don't know what a pony is.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:32 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:I did like the solution I read about where some guy took his kids through in the order of I-II-IV-V-III-VI, but I've always found it simpler to just ignore the Prequels.
Starting here, it turns out Grace hadn't seen any of them either. The suggested sequence was IV-V-II-III-VI, presumably now IV-V-II-III-R1-VI-VII or R1-IV-V-II-III-VI-VII
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:23 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:I did like the solution I read about where some guy took his kids through in the order of I-II-IV-V-III-VI, but I've always found it simpler to just ignore the Prequels.
Starting here, it turns out Grace hadn't seen any of them either. The suggested sequence was IV-V-II-III-VI, presumably now IV-V-II-III-R1-VI-VII or R1-IV-V-II-III-VI-VII
Poor Jar-jar. :wink:

I have a paperback copy of "Star Wars" by George Lucas, with the banner at the top saying "Soon to be a major motion picture".
I saw them all. The day each came out.
I took my daughters to see I, the midnight release (at actual Midnight).
My daughter is taking me the "midnight" (11:15pm 'local') release next Thursday.

I've never watched any of them again.
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:52 pm UTC

I'd expect R1 to come before IV, since that's where it's set chronologically and, unlike II and III, it doesn't really serve as a flashback of anything between V and VI. Kinda weird to start a series off with characters you're never going to see again, though.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:08 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Of course, if you watch them in numeric order it's more "Oh, right. He wouldn't know that, would he? Still kinda weird that R2 never mentioned Luke's dad before, or being on Tatooine, or how those rocket jets woulda been fuckin' useful as fuck in, like, 80 situations. Man, R2 is an asshole"

All explained here.
(Although Pete may or may not yet be one...)

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:08 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Starting a list of other movies you might assume everyone's seen but they haven't and don't care:

Napoleon Dynamite
Eight and a Half
Treasure of Sierra Madre
Dr. Strangelove
Ghost Busters
Metropolis
Dirty Harry

I'll just come right out here and confess: I've never seen Pulp Fiction.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:29 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I'd expect R1 to come before IV, since that's where it's set chronologically and, unlike II and III, it doesn't really serve as a flashback of anything between V and VI. Kinda weird to start a series off with characters you're never going to see again, though.

I suspect the thing to do is going to be to watch R1 and other "Star Wars Stories" movies afterwards and not treat them as part of the series, per se. Sure, sure, it's the same universe, but I think it makes good sense to keep the main series telling the story of the Skywalker clan as its own thing.

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:34 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:The worst thing about Star Wars for me is that by the time I decided to watch it, the big twist [about a certain character's parentage] has been already spoiled for me.

The first one I saw (and actually, the first movie I ever saw in a theater) was Return of the Jedi, so the twist was never a twist for me. Hasn't prevented me from enjoying the movies.

(Said RotJ viewing was a subtitled version in Kunhegyes, Hungary. My sister and I repeatedly had to shush the people around us, because they were reading the subtitles and didn't really care about the English dialog, but we wanted to hear the dang thing. Picture a pair of geeky 11-year-olds trying to tell big hulking 18-year-old guys to shut up already. Also, I remember we had issues with the translation, but I don't remember the particulars other than the subtitles totally failed to get the point of the "He's my brother" scene.)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:11 pm UTC

Thanks to office discussions, I now have opinions on American football, despite the fact that I don't watch it.
orthogon wrote:
jgh wrote:railways ("So, the 60052 restoration, great eh?" Dunno, I'm interested in *railways*, not trains.)

I'm probably misunderstanding your distinction, but maybe this is similar to what I get with music.....
I do a lot of a lot of partner dancing, and non-dancers always seem shocked that I don't watch dancing with the stars. I have no interest in choreography and little in sitting and watching other people do things I can do myself.
The Devils Engineer wrote: I would highly recommend that you see 2001: A Space Odyssey very much. But see it on a very large screen TV or projection screen in a darkened room. It's just not the same in a brightly lit room and small screen.
I would say it's also important to have decent speakers, as it is (in a sense) a musical.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:17 pm UTC

Reka wrote:
somitomi wrote:The worst thing about Star Wars for me is that by the time I decided to watch it, the big twist [about a certain character's parentage] has been already spoiled for me.

The first one I saw (and actually, the first movie I ever saw in a theater) was Return of the Jedi, so the twist was never a twist for me. Hasn't prevented me from enjoying the movies.

(Said RotJ viewing was a subtitled version in Kunhegyes, Hungary. My sister and I repeatedly had to shush the people around us, because they were reading the subtitles and didn't really care about the English dialog, but we wanted to hear the dang thing. Picture a pair of geeky 11-year-olds trying to tell big hulking 18-year-old guys to shut up already. Also, I remember we had issues with the translation, but I don't remember the particulars other than the subtitles totally failed to get the point of the "He's my brother" scene.)

What kind of people read subtitles out loud? :shock:
Hungarian translations/subtitles are known to fail occasionally. I don't remember particulars either, but I recall the subtitles in the Sound of Music taking liberties, especially with slightly risqué1 lines (now there's a word I just learned).

1: by some pretty strict standards anyway, which makes the whole thing a bit comical when you compare it with what gets an age 12 (PG13 or something?) rating today.
—◯-◯

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:59 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
Hungarian translations/subtitles are known to fail occasionally. I don't remember particulars either, but I recall the subtitles in the Sound of Music taking liberties, especially with slightly risqué1 lines (now there's a word I just learned).

1: by some pretty strict standards anyway, which makes the whole thing a bit comical when you compare it with what gets an age 12 (PG13 or something?) rating today.

My hovercraft is full of eels.
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:22 pm UTC

Wee Red Bird wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:The thing about Arsenal is that they always try to walk it in.

Hooray. He's kicked the ball. Now the ball's over there. That man has it now. That's an interesting development. Maybe he'll kick the ball. He has indeed and apparently that deserves a round of applause.

I read somewhere (probably here, heh) that soccer makes perfect sense as a spectator sport if you don't think of it as a goal-scoring game, but as a game of keep-away.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:40 pm UTC

Reka wrote:I remember we had issues with the translation, but I don't remember the particulars other than the subtitles totally failed to get the point of the "He's my brother" scene.)
Das Boot had a problem with translation too.
German version: "Wieso? GIBRALTAR! Es ist wie eine Jungfrau! Wir mussen uns mir Vaselien schmieren." *hipthrust*
English version: "How? Gibraltar. The British have got it sewn up tight. We'll have to smear the ship with vaseline." *hipthrust*
:roll:

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:35 am UTC

I have a friend I keep recommending to watch Labyrinth someday.

2001, I'd recommend to anyone who is interested in the history of cinema, but not to someone who's just looking to be entertained. It has some incredible scenes, but it's also incredidbly ambitious in some of the ideas it attempts to portray - to the point that even watching it after having read the book repeatedly, I had trouble following some sections.

Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit: I strongly recommend watching Fellowship before deciding whether to give the others a miss. I'd only watch the Hobbit trilogy if you're a major fan of the LotR movies - or of Freeman and Cumberbatch, of course.

One of these days, I might get around to watching Incepetion...

Reka

Postby Reka » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:46 am UTC

somitomi wrote:What kind of people read subtitles out loud? :shock:

Sorry, I meant they were talking throughout the movie. (Guess they didn't know about Shepherd Book's special level of hell, "a level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater".)

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:08 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:
Reka wrote:I remember we had issues with the translation, but I don't remember the particulars other than the subtitles totally failed to get the point of the "He's my brother" scene.)
German version: "Wieso? GIBRALTAR! Es ist wie eine Jungfrau! Wir mussen uns mir Vaselien schmieren." *hipthrust*
English version: "How? Gibraltar. The British have got it sewn up tight. We'll have to smear the ship with vaseline." *hipthrust*

Man, they really got that one wrong, didn't they? I'm tempted to say it had to be intentional, maybe thinking that the uptight Brits couldn't handle the accurate translation. Anyone able to read the German and produce that output must have known that they weren't translating.

(And I'm guessing that "mir" was a typo for "mit". It's funny how similar those letters can look in some fonts. I actually read "mit" the first time, then noticed the error on rescanning it. ;-)

addams

Postby addams » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:08 am UTC

Flumble wrote:I can relate to cueball up until the "Later..." part. Why would you pretend to know something?

Also, why would you pretend to be excited for such a bland blockbuster? :?
Yes! This.
Spoiler:
It wasn't a bland blockbuster.
Two people that might be Best Friends Forever are going to Not find one another!
Waaa! The romantic in me is crushed. Maybe, it is a life-lesson. What is the lesson?

Keep being your real honest self?
As you stumble through life, you may discover:
ThemePark wrote:I...I am not ALONE! :shock:

Wee Red Bird wrote:For the sake of trying to fit in, I have tried to watch it. I have sat with friends in the pub and even watched matches from the cold of the stadium. I understand all the rules (including that offside one) but still, it is just so boring. I might as well watch a pinball machine being played by a random stranger.
Armchair sports are not my thing.
Yes. Me, too. Lucky, us.
We have The Internet.

As long as we are chatting about the Star Wars Movies.
Let us do it as adults.
What do you think?

Shall we start by discussing Joseph Campbell
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_ ... sand_Faces
Since publication of The Hero with a Thousand Faces, Campbell's theory has been consciously applied by a wide variety of modern writers and artists. The best known is perhaps George Lucas, who has acknowledged Campbell's influence on the Star Wars films.

What books or articles on the subject of Comparative Mythology are you drawing from.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_mythology

What??
You haven't done the reading??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_Myth

That's ok.
There is a BBC Special,
so you don't have to read it.

Yes. They are good stories. These are our myths.
Our myths help form our individuals and our culture.

The comic is a little romantic and sad.

Our people need to, 'get up to steam'.
Some people Love the under-educated.
But; This forum is not under-educated.

(yawn) (stretch))
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:00 am UTC

jc wrote:
Sableagle wrote:

Man, they really got that one wrong, didn't they? I'm tempted to say it had to be intentional, maybe thinking that the uptight Brits couldn't handle the accurate translation. Anyone able to read the German and produce that output must have known that they weren't translating.

(And I'm guessing that "mir" was a typo for "mit". It's funny how similar those letters can look in some fonts. I actually read "mit" the first time, then noticed the error on rescanning it. ;-)

Yes, that should be "mit." QWERTY keyboard, fat fingers. The terribly British accent was funny on a submariner, too. There's an amusing tone-switch the other way round in Left 4 Dead. The English-language Francis is a member of an outlaw biker gang in the NE USA: "Louis, we've walked across the whole goddam country and the whole place is just one big shit-hole," and: "Now THIS is some shit." He sounds like a pissed-off biker having to fight his way through the sewers of a bombed city full of zombies.
In German he speaks much more classily, with a university sort of voice: "Ah. Dies kann man Scheiss nennen." He sounds like someone's rich uncle helping her bake the cake for her little brother's birthday party (or he would if he'd said "cake mix" rather than "shit," obviously).

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:35 am UTC

Keyman wrote:
somitomi wrote:

My hovercraft is full of eels.

The horrible thing about that sketch is that things like that are quite likely to happen, especially the other way around (i.e. English-speaking tourist in Hungary). I don't think I've ever seen a restaurant menu where all the English translations were correct, although most of the time they are comprehensible. But occasionally you see things like a pastry named "fuckup with marmalade" because everything was tranlsated word by word using an online dictionary.
I am kind of disappointed they didn't actually look up one of the many Hungarian profanities, one of the things I really liked about The Usual Suspects was that Hungarian characters (including the extras) actually spoke proper Hungarian. They really paid attention to that detail, during the hospital scene (where Keyser Soze's facial composite is drawn) the interpreter actually spoke slightly broken Hungarian (in contrast with other Hungarian-speaking characters). It was weird watching a movie and understanding things the director didn't indend the audience to understand.
—◯-◯

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:34 am UTC

Image Image Image Image Image

If this is your first visit to the Soviet Union, you are welcome to it.

Zhalinth

Postby Zhalinth » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:10 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Kinda weird to start a series off with characters you're never going to see again, though.

I assumed this was because they all die by the end of the movie.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:27 pm UTC

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:33 pm UTC

While reading this thread, it dawned on me that apparently "seen Star Wars" means "seen all of the Star Wars movies."

I did see the first movie, right when it came out. I enjoyed the space battles (the movie played on the biggest screen in town; it really was pretty spectacular), but I thought the characters and the story were a bit lame, so I never felt the slightest temptation to watch the sequels and prequels.

So while I would answer "yes" if anyone asked me if I had ever seen Star Wars, most of the memes I see people tossing around here either mean nothing to me, or I know them but only as memes.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:57 pm UTC

(Photobucket images that don't link well, maybe it's my tablet.)
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

The web page at market://details?id=com.ubercab&referrer=mat_click_id%3D4d544af64e27be2f13f3b30f8bce0ec1-20161208-7336%26utm_campaign%3DDisplay-Koneo-Fetch_184_-99_UK-uk-national_R_And_ACQ_CPI_en-UK_Ongoing%26utm_content%3DPM_16272_UKI-ATL-RD-en-UK_In_a_rush_B_320x50%26utm_medium%3Dhealth-weekly.net%26utm_source%3DKoneo%2BMobile%2BInc.%26utm_term%3DInternal might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
(But I can imagine what they're actually of.)

Sableagle wrote:If this is your first visit to the Soviet Union, you are welcome to it.

I have a (physical) album of my own, somewhere, composed from an Alpine trip in the early '90s, predating the Web and definitely online translators of the modern kind. I quite liked the hotel in Chamonis proudly hoisting a professionally-manufactured sign declaring "English Spokken", for the subtelty. ;)

From English, there's this...

Ae7flux

Postby Ae7flux » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:22 pm UTC

I've never seen a Star Wars movie and used to be proud of my ignorance. Then the internet came along (I'm looking at you Cracked.com) and I now have strong feelings about the meaning of the Kessel run line.

(Some of this post may be not entirely accurate but to this day I haven't seen a Star Wars movie all the way through.)
There is an x such that x entirely fails to signify just in case x lacks a specific combination of rotary and reciprocating motion.

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:21 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Starting a list of other movies you might assume everyone's seen but they haven't and don't care:

Napoleon Dynamite
Eight and a Half
Treasure of Sierra Madre
Dr. Strangelove
Ghost Busters
Metropolis
Dirty Harry

Are we really at the point now where we assume everyone has seen Metropolis? This is Fritz Lang's Metropolis we're talking about, right? Because, I'd love to live in a world where the majority of people have seen that, but I'm not quite ready to believe that a random person on the street is likely to have seen a silent German film from nearly 90 years ago.

Also, I have not seen Napoleon Dynamite, 8 1/2, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, or Dirty Harry.

Yet-One-More-Idiot

Postby Yet-One-More-Idiot » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:38 pm UTC

Napoleon Dynamite
Eight and a Half
Treasure of Sierra Madre
Dr. Strangelove
Ghost Busters
Metropolis
Dirty Harry

Well out of those you've listed, I can honestly say I've only seen (and for that matter own) 2 of 'em:
  • Ghostbusters (I assume you mean the original, not the new one?)
  • Metropolis

While I do feel that most people SHOULD see Metropolis (particularly anyone who enjoys SF), I highly doubt that that holds true as yet.

Some other classic SF movies I might like to throw into your list:

• The Time Machine. Particularly the '60 original, but the remake's pretty good too.
  • War of the Worlds. The '53 version, not the remake.
  • Star Trek - all of them, but particularly 1-4
  • Blade Runner (Okay I haven't seen it, but I'd still include it in a list of classic SF)
  • Logan's Run
  • The Terminator and Terminator 2. The others too, but less so.
  • Back to the Future. Again, the sequels less so.

I'd also say that just about everybody should've seen at the very least any ONE movie from Walt Disney Animation Studios (ie, the Disney Canon) in their lifetime. Most would probably have seen several if only by randomly catching them on the telly at some point.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:10 am UTC

This strip vaguely reminded me of this one:

Aiwendil wrote:

Napoleon Dynamite
Eight and a Half
Treasure of Sierra Madre
Dr. Strangelove
Ghost Busters
Metropolis
Dirty Harry

Are we really at the point now where we assume everyone has seen Metropolis? This is Fritz Lang's Metropolis we're talking about, right? Because, I'd love to live in a world where the majority of people have seen that, but I'm not quite ready to believe that a random person on the street is likely to have seen a silent German film from nearly 90 years ago.

Also, I have not seen Napoleon Dynamite, 8 1/2, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, or Dirty Harry.

Dirty Harry is one of those films where you can know the Most Famous Bit and yet still avoid it being a plot spoiler. I'd was very familiar with the famous quote (the one about shooting either six shots or only five, the .44 Magnum which would blow your head clean off, and that one must ask oneself whether one feels lucky) many times prior to watching the film, thanks to reading quotes or seeing a clip of that speech, or seeing it parodied. And yet that's where all the clips cut off, so until I watched the full movie a few years ago I didn't know how that scene ends: does he shoot the man or not?

orthogon wrote:ETA: In this spirit, there's actually a BBC Radio 4 programme called I've Never Seen Star Wars, in which people do fairly common things for the first time.

It also had a TV version.

Yet-One-More-Idiot

Postby Yet-One-More-Idiot » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:17 am UTC

orthogon wrote:ETA: In this spirit, there's actually a BBC Radio 4 programme called I've Never Seen Star Wars, in which people do fairly common things for the first time.

And in the spirit of this thread, I should mention that although I've HEARD of this radio show (and the TV series that spun off from it)

I have honestly never listened to, OR watched, "I've Never Watched Star Wars".

Thus the snake eats its own tail, the circle closes, and reality collapses into an even weirder form than it's in now. :P

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:13 am UTC

Wee Red Bird wrote:

And now we're going to discover that a whole bunch of people have never seen The IT Crowd. And many of them may even be unaware that they should see it. Which makes this all a bit meta! :D

(For those who are confused: Wee Red Bird and SecondTalon are quoting from a television show. Quoting characters who, in-universe, probably spend a lot more time reading xkcd than watching football. Quoting the only TV show I've seen where one of the main characters wore an EFF t-shirt.)
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:20 am UTC

I'd never seen your ETA... Did I skip-read, rudely, or did I just manage to read the pre-ETA version in that golden half minute/whatever whete edits can happen but don't get marked? (Onbviously not the latter if a third person viewing nullifies the effect. But Nvm.)

I've been going through some programme records of INSSW, because I'm sure that there was one guest who (as well as the creator/producer, being the real-life spark for the idea) had actually never seen Star Wars. But, IIRC, it was only mentioned in passing, to the gasps of the audience. It wasn't one of the selected new experiences for them, so isn't listed on the otherwise comprehensive Wiki pages for both radio and TV serieses. But I'm narrowing it down to one of the S5/6 episodes, from trying to place the rough era of broadcast in my mnd.

(But I thnk Ian Hislop playing Grand Theft Auto for the first time is one of the stand-out bits. For those that know of him. And, of course, GTA.)

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:47 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:I've been going through some programme records of INSSW, because I'm sure that there was one guest who (as well as the creator/producer, being the real-life spark for the idea) had actually never seen Star Wars. But, IIRC, it was only mentioned in passing, to the gasps of the audience. It wasn't one of the selected new experiences for them, so isn't listed on the otherwise comprehensive Wiki pages for both radio and TV serieses. But I'm narrowing it down to one of the S5/6 episodes, from trying to place the rough era of broadcast in my mnd.

(But I thnk Ian Hislop playing Grand Theft Auto for the first time is one of the stand-out bits. For those that know of him. And, of course, GTA.)

Yes, I vaguely remember one of the guests saying they'd never seen Star Wars - I think it might have been Nigel Havers on the TV version?

With Ian Hislop playing Grand Theft Auto, I remember being disappointed that they didn't ask what he thought of the in-game radio stations. In particular, the "I Say You Say" shows.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:43 am UTC

One more that everyone must see: Colossus - the Forbin Project. The original, set in the 50s or early 60s. If there is ever a remake, don't watch it; it will be terrible. Yes, it's a bit dated but that matters not a whit. (I find it disturbing that people are still touting the handing over of governance to computers, to which we would become pets, while at the same time it is slowly happening by itself, in a totally different form.)

Unfortunately, it's very hard to find this film. It is not on DVD, only videotape. To my knowledge there are no plans to re-release it in any form. If you find it, grab it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:41 am UTC

somitomi wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a restaurant menu where all the English translations were correct, although most of the time they are comprehensible. But occasionally you see things like a pastry named "fuckup with marmalade" because everything was tranlsated word by word using an online dictionary.

Anyone up for a serving of salted beef jumbled signal?

ucim wrote:Unfortunately, it's very hard to find this film.

Isn't that the opposite of what the comic is about? A film that you need to see because it's good and nobody has seen it, rather than because it's popular and everyone has?

So, more like the Mark Twain definition of a "classic"? (A book that everyone wants to have read, but nobody wants to read.)

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:17 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:Isn't that the opposite of what the comic is about?
Yeah, I guess so. If an algebraic sign is wrong, change it. :)

I'd say it belongs in the class with 8 1/2, which is well known but I don't think lots of people have seen it. But then 8 1/2 is also not a film that "everyone has seen".

There is a period in a person's life where seeing films is important - generally 18-30. After that, I think there's a lot less of a "must see" reaction when a new picture comes out, and certainly seeing it eight times probably doesn't happen when one is older. And until recently, if you didn't see it in the theater when it came out, you probably won't see it (the way it needs to be seen). Seeing a film on tv is just not the same (although now with HD and big flat screens that's changing).

I don't know how popular Colossus was at the time, but it should have been popular among the SF set. And then it disappeared, limiting the number of people who could join in later.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:10 am UTC

xtifr wrote:And now we're going to discover that a whole bunch of people have never seen The IT Crowd. And many of them may even be unaware that they should see it. Which makes this all a bit meta! :D

(For those who are confused: Wee Red Bird and SecondTalon are quoting from a television show. Quoting characters who, in-universe, probably spend a lot more time reading xkcd than watching football. Quoting the only TV show I've seen where one of the main characters wore an EFF t-shirt.)

The IT Crowd is one of many British comedy shows that they tried to remake for an American market, changed it too much and failed miserably. Like Red Dwarf, it never went past the pilot.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:12 am UTC

Various Varieties wrote:Dirty Harry is one of those films where you can know the Most Famous Bit and yet still avoid it being a plot spoiler. I'd was very familiar with the famous quote (the one about shooting either six shots or only five, the .44 Magnum which would blow your head clean off, and that one must ask oneself whether one feels lucky) many times prior to watching the film, thanks to reading quotes or seeing a clip of that speech, or seeing it parodied. And yet that's where all the clips cut off, so until I watched the full movie a few years ago I didn't know how that scene ends: does he shoot the man or not?
Spoiler:
If you were counting shots, you knew he had one left. He lowers the hammer as he walks away then cocks it again as he comes back, cycling the cylinder to the first spent case. People still think he was out of ammo and bluffing.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:08 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:
Various Varieties wrote:Dirty Harry is one of those films where you can know the Most Famous Bit and yet still avoid it being a plot spoiler. I'd was very familiar with the famous quote (the one about shooting either six shots or only five, the .44 Magnum which would blow your head clean off, and that one must ask oneself whether one feels lucky) many times prior to watching the film, thanks to reading quotes or seeing a clip of that speech, or seeing it parodied. And yet that's where all the clips cut off, so until I watched the full movie a few years ago I didn't know how that scene ends: does he shoot the man or not?
Spoiler:
If you were counting shots, you knew he had one left. He lowers the hammer as he walks away then cocks it again as he comes back, cycling the cylinder to the first spent case. People still think he was out of ammo and bluffing.

Wrong answer.
Spoiler:
He does both. The whole speech about whether the punk feels lucky happens twice in the movie, once with each outcome. In both cases, the punk in question guesses wrong.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”