The "I Did Good" thread

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

DenisL704

Re: The "I Did Good" thread

Postby DenisL704 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:38 am UTC

Improved mile time to 6:12, and 1 rep max on bench press 275 lbs. Most I've done since high school. Very proud of myself.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:34 am UTC

Been to the gym 8 times in 7 days. Vegas, I am going to be inside you.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:59 pm UTC

On wednesday I finally weighed in at no-longer-overweight levels*! This represents roughly a 40 pound loss over a little more than a year (more like July). At July, I was nudging the obesity levels at 250lbs (I'm 6'5") and weighed in at 209.5 on Wednesday (my weight a bit and hasn't been back down <210 again, but is steadily moving down).

Methods:
eating better (more real foods, no more fries). No inter-meal snacking
bicycling (about every other day during the spring/summer, on a ~13 mile loop. After a few weeks this was done under an hour).
eating slightly better (switching to eggs for breakfast over too much cereal. With the increased exersize I felt my heart could take it).
running (well, more like jogging). An unknown distance that takes a little over 1/2 hour to complete (unfortunately my [ancient, original design] GPS watch gave out this year). This is becomming my main form of exersize as the days grow shorter (and seems to do more than the biking).

Observations:
I'm 45 years old. I really started to feel old around the start of it and assumed it was mainly my age. Sometime in the middle of it (mostly after the bicycling had its effects, I had already lost plenty of weight) I realized that I no longer felt so old, and that it was like I was back in my mid-thirties (I was in serious shape in my twenties, so can't compare it). If you are in any similiar situation and want to "do good", I can't recommend it enough.

* Yes, this is by BMI guidelines. Insert rant here about inherient innumeracy about comparing something that increases by the cube (weight) by only comparing the square of a side (height). Nevertheless, when I started I was obviously fat, and this seems as good as any point to claim "I did good". For reference, my weight in peak condition can be considered anywhere from 195 (high point of muscle) to 180 (just after a marathon), but both of those were from my early 20s. I'll continue my healty ways in search of breaking 200, and don't really know when I will hit a reasonable limit (I really should find a gym and try to regain some muscle before it is too late).

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:54 am UTC

My projected 1RM (extrapolated from 5 reps) on the overhead press finally caught up to my bodyweight today. This formula has proved pretty accurate for me in the past, so I expect to finally hit that bodyweight press next time I test my max (in December, probably). This'll be the second of my three lifetime goals on the barbell lifts, along with a double bodyweight squat (check) and a triple bodyweight deadlift (~35lb to go; progress is slow). I'd like a 1-arm chin up as well, but that's some way off. Got to get all this in the next few years, before the middle age weight gain sets in.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:06 am UTC

Did a cycling holiday in Tuscany last week, due to circumstances (my original trip getting cancelled and this being the only option open in terms of time and intensity level) the same trip as last year, which means I have some comparison material. I am definitely stronger, last year I had to pause for breath on some of the longer or steeper hills (even had to walk a few times), but this year I could do it all in one go. Considering this includes some hills with gradients over 20% and I still carry some excess weight that's pretty darn impressive. In fact, I outclimbed people who are a lot lighter than me.
Quack!

Samik

Postby Samik » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:12 am UTC

Done:
- New personal best on bench at 209. (Previous was 185, ~6 years ago.)
- Personal best on military press at 154. (No previous personal best attempts.)
- Finally got comfortable front squatting.

To do:
- Learn to overhead squat. (At present, my shoulders lack the flexibility to do this.)
- Get the cardio going again. (I've been averaging, oh, maybe a mile a month (so, quarter mile weeks, you could say) for the last little while.)

It would be nice to have close to personal bests at both strength and endurance activities during the same time period. It should be doable, as I've never felt I "peaked" in either area.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:05 am UTC

100 km hilly bike ride in 30+ degrees C last friday. Was a tough one, especially on the steeper climbs, but I made it. Some others in the group were not so lucky and either cut their ride short or had to be pushed the last few k due to immense cramps.
Quack!

nightbird

Postby nightbird » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:08 pm UTC

Finally managed to side vault over a hip high obstacle.
“Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.”

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:31 pm UTC

For the first time in my life I managed a sub 7 minute mile. 6:48

In the last month I have gone from 1 rep max on pullups of 6 to 10 and am now doing almost 40 pullups every morning.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:36 pm UTC

I walked ...

Lindau am Bodensee
Riefensberg
Schoppernau
Warth
Steeg
Pettneu am Arlberg
Fliess
Wenns
Gries im Sellrain
Axams
Lizum
Natters
Schlitters
Gerlos
Wald im Pinzgau
Dorfgastein

I don't recommend doing that. I'd suggest getting a group together, hiring a van, having a designated driver and mixing day hikes as a full group with days when everyone but the driver and one or two others will hike from hotel to hotel while the van takes the big bags and anyone who's resting that day. They can do laundry and buy aspirin, chocolate, cereal bars and other such things while they're at it.

I went in October to avoid overheating. Mostly, this worked well for me, but one day I got very wet ... and the higher parts of the ridge I was trying to cross got 60cm of fresh snow. That's why I didn't get from Axams to Neustift, Gschnitz, S. Giacomo and Klausenalm or Hintertux or whatever I'd planned. One big problem with going in Octoberturned out to be that much of alpine Austria shuts in September and reopens for the ski season, so your options may be severely limited in October. I had Kaiserjoch entirely to myself. Humans, dogs, cats, birds, crickets, spiders, the works, every animal I noticed that day was well below that altitude.

This year I went back to Stubaital. Maybe next year I can do the more southerly part (where rocks are painted with Austrian red-white-red stripes and the slogan: "Sudtirol ist nicht Italien!") too.

Anyone considering this, note that the maps show a solid green line for an acknowledged mountain bike route, a solid red line for a track not necessarily fit for mountain bikes, dashes for a footpath and dotted lines for a Steig. The "brown trousers time" picture is a footpath. Peiljoch was an easy Steig. Hohe Burgstall was a more typical Steig. Plan accordingly.

Anyway, yeah, "I did good" in that I hiked 42km including over 7km vertical climb in 5 days. Hardly awesome, but definitely something.
I don't know and have no opinion.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:04 pm UTC

I have started jogging! I have no idea how good I am but everyone in my department does some form of physical exercise and I felt bad about not. I am doing some sort of 'couch to 5k' thing and am kind of enjoying it? I don't know. I'm woefully unfit and die most of the time, but it's progress!

Edit: if anyone has any good tips, I would love to hear them.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:06 pm UTC

Yaaaaaaay F_T!

I did a couch to 5k thing a while back. Really helped get over that hump of going from walk-run to be able to run continuously again.

Best tips... stretch, thoroughly. Maybe talk to someone in your department if you don't know good ways to stretch. I had to stop my first go at couch-to-5k because of not stretching enough.

Don't get too daunted by the future run lengths. Focus on the next one. Don't worry about speed at all.

Try and stick to the times in your plan, but... when you get to around the ten minute continuous run part, see how you feel. Because for me, that was the point where I realised that actually, I could, if I wanted, just keep going, and going, and going. And got a bit of an endorphin rush and went "Weeeee!" at an abysmally low speed... ;-D

But above all, enjoy!
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:44 pm UTC

Thanks Echo! I'm pretty stoked about this. I don't have a good running route yet which is a bit disappointing. But then I have to keep reminding myself that I've not been running for all that long (I have gone on 5 jogs so far, 3 of which in my area) so finding a route is going to be a little tricky for a bit.

Ta for the advice on stretching, I noticed it after the first run, I didn't even try to stretch afterwards and the next day everything felt a bit weird. I'm hoping that this whole thing works out for me. I've never thought of someone who goes on jogs, but there we are, times are a changin'.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:03 pm UTC

Yay for the change!

Yeah, the feeling-a-bit-weird will probably happen anyway as your muscles get used to things. Stretching won't make it all go away, but it will make sure that as your body builds itself into a running machine, things are properly stretched out and you have a good range of movement in the new muscles you develop.

As for routes, well, that's all based on what you can find nearby. But I very much recommend river or canal towpaths (flat!), plus running out along one route for half your intended run length, and then turning round and heading back along the same route. This has two benefits - firstly, it makes the route length precisely as long as you need it for however many minutes of running are on your schedule, and also... well, I found it useful to know that I could push myself as far as the turn back point, but then after that, the quickest and easiest way to get home was to just keep running. ;-D

Do let us know how things go - especially when you get to the "Weeeee! I can just keep going!" point... ;-D

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:04 pm UTC

I'm something like 28 weeks into bodyweight training*. I must say I've come a long way. I'm so much stronger than I was 6 months ago, and it's really starting to show as well! I've never been overtly muscular before in my life. It's a pretty weird experience.

* (I'm doing this stuff, see also /r/bodyweightfitness )
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Killerofsheep

Postby Killerofsheep » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:40 pm UTC

50 minute run at 7:30 this morning. 20 minutes longer than my usual run.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:27 pm UTC

Update: can now jog for 5 minutes continuously. This is great. I am on week 4 of couch to 5k and I think I'm doing ok. I have a route and I've invested in some more clothes so I'm able to go as many times as I'd like during the week, I was previously hampered by my lack of proper wardrobe.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:39 am UTC

Yay!

5 minutes is starting to head towards the tipping point of "Oh... and I can just keep going? Cool!" I remember my couch-to-5k plan stepped up from that point in intimidating steps, but actually doing it was... not that bad.

And yay for more clothes. Saves doing the laundry all the time. ;-D Though I have to admit, most of my running gear is cheap, apart from the shoes. I like that you don't need much, it's a nice low entry point for an enjoyable activity.

Carry on, and remember to enjoy the rest days! ;-D

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:51 pm UTC

My tops are all in the £4-5 range which is fine. It's just the leggings which are a bit more expensive (because I really don't have anything suitable). The trainers I got from Tesco and seem to be doing fine, if I'm going to be serious about it I might get some serious trainers but at the moment I haven't noticed any discomfort.

I've been looking out for the 'I can keep going now?' moment and there have been a couple of times where I thought that I could just keep running if I was in slightly better shape. I can feel it though.

I'm not sure I'm enjoying it still but my route takes me through a nice park and at the moment there's a pond with ducklings which is the best.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:12 pm UTC

I just got my NASM personal training certification. I had been going to the gym 3-5 times a week for ages so I just decided to read their cert book and take the test. Not nearly as difficult as I had thought it would be.

Will I ever do anything with it? Probably not but it looks good on a resume.

//Edit

Almost got a damn muscle up yesterday.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:38 pm UTC

So I didn't do so great over autumn-early winter. But I got a gym membership and my friend and I are trying out all the fitness classes. We did pilates (everything ached afterwards, probably a sign that I need to go more often), spin for 45 minutes (in hindsight, we should have tried a 30 minute lesson but there weren't any at a convenient time - genuinely wanted to be sick afterwards) and today we tried Strong by Zumba which everything does hurt and it was super difficult but also fun so I think I'm going back to that. The Strong by Zumba class was cardio but also a bit of toning which I think I need because I have 0 core strength. Cannot do a sit up.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:35 pm UTC

I accomplished 2 sets of 20 Reps of 20lb dumbbell curls yesterday. Which isn't a big deal for my right hand... but its a big deal for my left hand. Until yesterday, I've had to do "negative reps" (using my right hand to "assist" my left hand for a good chunk the 2nd set). But yeah, my left hand managed to actually complete the workout without any help from my right! Hurrah!

The other imbalance I've noticed is that my right hand can squeeze ~100lbs but my left hand has only ~80lbs of squeezing. Well, that's after I've exercised my squeezing strength. I was like maybe... 60lbs for both hands when I started that. In any case, dumbells make any left/right imbalances more obvious, so I'll be using those to work out. I only have a total of ~70lbs at home (to be split between the two dumbells: 35lbs per). Enough to push well beyond my limits with Curls, but 35lbs don't push my limits with like Squats or Bench Presses. Still, its an exercise and its convenient to have at home.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Return to “Fit Club”