Questions For The World

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: Questions For The World

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:48 pm UTC

addams wrote:Does any other animal compulsively or other wise, consistently move fucking Rocks??!
I usually let them finish before moving them. It's only polite.

Seriously though, moving rocks... across the ocean! Look at new granite kitchen countertops. Where does the granite come from? Perfectly good rocks all around you, and it comes from the other side of the world.

And when you are picking one out yourself, it makes a difference whether it's this slab, or that slab right behind it. Both were mined within inches of each other, seven thousand miles away, and it makes a difference which one.

Edit - pope - oh wait, we don't do that here. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:13 pm UTC

Yep.
Some of our Rocks are amazingly beautiful.
Made beautiful by us, for our pleasure.

We bring out the best in Rocks.
Rocks bring out both the best and the worse in us.

I like my stupid Rocks!
Someone took some of my Rocks from inside my car.
I want my Rocks back!

I'm a silly Rock obsessed human.
I think it is a common malady.

It's a matter of degree.
I have a particularly bad case.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:15 pm UTC

Why are clipboards that open up as horizontally (as though they are a book) so bloody expensive? Ones that open up from the top or bottom are reasonably priced (under £5) - the ones I want that are basically the same except have a hinge on the other edge, and for some reason are £17!!!!!
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

New User

Postby New User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

I haven't tried comparing prices, but you might try shopping around for another vendor. I recently needed to buy a can opener. At my local grocery store, it was probably $13 for a good one. I'm glad I didn't buy it, because about a week later I found one of good quality for $5 at an overstock store.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:37 pm UTC

I've just been browsing amazon and google shopping. I guess there might be other vendors not covered in there but can't really be bothered to search much more.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

roband

Postby roband » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:21 pm UTC

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:58 pm UTC

That's a top-clip model. It does come in a bookish shape, though.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

roband

Postby roband » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:59 pm UTC

Oh, I see.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:13 pm UTC

No, roband is right in that's the way I want it to open, but that isn't one of the storage ones. I want to be able to carry a lot of forms and papers along with me - what I'm looking for is like a plastic box with a clip attached that opens the way the one roband found does.

Image That is £15!!!!!!!!!

You can get the ones that open up the other way sooo much cheaper, but they don't really make sense because what you've got clipped to the front then falls backwards.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:58 pm UTC

Does anyone know of a relatively seamless way to catch up with a years old channel with hundreds of videos I've just discovered on youtube? Ideally I would like something which injected old videos (in order, from oldest to newest) from the channel into my youtube subscriptions list at a user settable rate, as if they were new videos. I get that that's not likely to be possible, but something close to that maybe?

BTW the channel is Amy Shira Teitel's Vintage Space and it is totally awesome.

roband

Postby roband » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:04 pm UTC

From the page you linked, click on "Videos".

Then in the top right change "Date Added (Newest - Oldest)" to "Date Added (Oldest - Newest)".

Then bookmark that page. Watch them one by one. You don't need to remember which you watched most recently, as Youtube will remember (as long as you're signed in).

Sound feasible?

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:22 pm UTC

roband wrote:From the page you linked, click on "Videos".

Then in the top right change "Date Added (Newest - Oldest)" to "Date Added (Oldest - Newest)".

Then bookmark that page. Watch them one by one. You don't need to remember which you watched most recently, as Youtube will remember (as long as you're signed in).

Sound feasible?

I know of that method, and it's not really ideal - the big issue is that I don't want to binge on them (I get bored with that), and I forget to watch them gradually if I just have to rely on going to the channel manually.

What I want is something that contacts me about twice a week (email, rss, twitter, google+ - I don't really care how), with a couple of links to the next videos in any particular channel (like comic rocket's archive binge feeds do for webcomics). I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist - I've searched for it, but I thought I'd check here before giving up.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:35 pm UTC

Once it's routine it shouldn't be hard to remember to watch one or two each day, but as you get further in you will have to "Load more" several times every time you watch them.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

roband

Postby roband » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:47 pm UTC

Hmm, I dunno in that case.

Spit balling here.. something with IFTTT?

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:59 pm UTC

roband wrote:Hmm, I dunno in that case.

Spit balling here.. something with IFTTT?

None of the triggers work for what I want unfortunately, thanks for the thought though.

TBH thinking about it I'd probably be able to code something myself to do this - I've just found out that you can grab a list of all the video URLs for a particular channel using youtube's API, and it shouldn't be beyond the wit of even a novice programmer like myself to write something to run down that list serving one up in a tweet or email every couple of days.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:07 am UTC

What about the Alarm Clock on the phone you might have?
An Alarm can be set for Tuesday and Thursday at the time you most like to Hang Out and be entertained.

I've seen phones that allow Alarms to be named.
I think that is a Good Idea.

How funny to look at a machine reminding you of something,
you don't remember needing a reminder for.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:07 am UTC

addams wrote:What about the Alarm Clock on the phone you might have?
An Alarm can be set for Tuesday and Thursday at the time you most like to Hang Out and be entertained.

Hmm, that might work, but I really would like some way of the computer telling me where I'm up to at the same time as giving me the reminder (why I want this is explained below). I might be able to use that idea part-way though - use the youtube API to grab a list of all the video URLs, stick them in evernote, put a link to the evernote note in the alarm, strike through the URLs that I've already watched. I know I could use Youtube's watched/unwatched feature, but I like this better because it gives one consistent system for youtube videos and blogs (of which I have a few that I want to catch up on like this too).

How funny to look at a machine reminding you of something,
you don't remember needing a reminder for.

I'm kind of sucky at habits. It's partly to do with my anxiety issues and the way that they lead to awful avoidance behaviour. Being able to have a computer automatically tell me everything I should be doing on a particular day, in a way that minimises the cognitive burden of actually doing it (hence why I want my reminder system for catching up with stuff to present me with links) really, really helps with this. It means that I can usually have a productive and vaguely normal looking day even when concentrating on not curling up into a ball and screaming for a while is what's taking up most of my energy.

Edit: I have a solution! I found out, after some googling, that going to a channel's first video and appending "&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL" to the URL will generate a playlist of all that channels videos. I can then bookmark this, then update the bookmark whenever I watch more videos, so that I'm always in the right place when I click on it. The same bookmark-updating thing should work for blog archives too. I put all these bookmarks into a "catch-up" folder and set an appointment in my diary to spend a bit of time catching up on blogs and videos a few times a week.

Thanks to everyone who suggested solutions.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:04 pm UTC

"I found out, after some googling, that going to a channel's first video and appending "&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL" to the URL will generate a playlist of all that channels videos. I can then bookmark this, then update the bookmark whenever I watch more videos, so that I'm always in the right place when I click on it. The same bookmark-updating thing should work for blog archives too. I put all these bookmarks into a "catch-up" folder and set an appointment in my diary to spend a bit of time catching up on blogs and videos a few times a week"
Copy and paste > word document :)
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:51 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:Here's a question: Do people from outside the USA really assume we all own guns?
Nope. It seems to be that a lot of you own no guns, a lot of you own one or two guns each and a few of you own the other 100,000,000 guns. Some people occasionally show up on the internet and turn out to own 5 AR-15 uppers, 3 AR-15 lowers, an SKS, an AKM, three 9mm pistols, one .40S&W pistol, two .45ACP pistols, a .357 Magnum revolver, a .44 Magnum revolver, a pump-action 12-ga shotgun, a double-barreled 12-ga shotgun, a single-barreled 12-ga shotgun with a rifled barrel, a single-barreled .410 shotgun, a .50AE pistol, a .500S&W revolver, a .22 derringer, a .22 target pistol, three .22 rifles, a .308 hunting rifle, a .30-06 rifle, a blackpowder musket, a .45-70 underlever rifle and a 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant ... each.

Vox Imperatoris wrote:Europeans, (and yes, I know the answers will be different for different countries) you meet someone. Would you assume that this person is probably Christian? I'm not saying you would act super-cautious about it, but would you say it is more or less likely?
In England, it varies from area to area, social group to social group, skin tone to skin tone and headdress to headdress. Yarmulka, turban, saffron robe, chunky wooden crucifix or multiple layers of colourful cotton prints and black lace plus a lot of silver jewellery with at least one pentagram? All hints. In general, I think there are a lot of people here who have been Christened but don't pray, say Grace, attend church or anything else like that. We probably have about 40,000,000 members of the Church of England, including at least 4 actual Christians. Considering the numbers of wayside shrines and the very existence of Sankt Jakobsweg in the eastern Alps, I'd guess there's more faith there than here.

Ieatsoap6 wrote:
cypherspace wrote:
Ieatsoap6 wrote:Do all other British people sound pretty much the same? Probably a stupid question, but still...

All Americans sound the same to you? Even I can tell the difference between Texas, New York and California. No, British people don't all sound even close to the same.

It's not that all Americans sound the same, per se. More that if I heard a person talk, I can say "that's an American." I'm wondering if there's some characteristic that non-Americans pick up on to do the same. Having lived here, it's hard (for me) to figure out what an "American" accent is. There may simply be too much diversity to define only one accent.

Does that make more sense?

Lower jaw thrust forwards at all times when speaking. Australians pull their lips back at the sides more. Maybe that's just what I do when trying to fake the accents.

|Erasmus| wrote:However, this is from someone living in Australia, where even the wet parts are in constant water shortage. It's still a very silly idea, though.
As a microbiologist in a wet country, I disagree. Rinsing the dishwater off the plates seems a very good idea to me. What horrifies me isn't the water used in doing that but the people who soak everything in soapy water, take things out one by one, wipe them with a tea-towel, return them to the cupboards, put the tea-towel on a radiator to dry out and then use it again after the next meal and again after the next one and so on for days at a time. People seem to think the WUL is some kind of magic negative dirt. If a dog shat in a bowl, you could pour in a capful of bleach, microwave it for ten minutes and/or soak it in hot soapy water for an hour but it'd still contain shit, wouldn't it? After three weeks (university year one) the tea-towels were ... unhygienic.

addams wrote:Does any other animal compulsively or other wise, consistently move fucking Rocks??!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... od+Diamond

There is no longer any doubt. We are insane.

Also I only recently noticed the 7-year age on the OP, and stopped replying to pages 1 and 2, so apologies to anyone whose fascinating page 3 post I missed.
Last edited by Sableagle on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know and have no opinion.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 pm UTC

Is "sextuple" the word I'm looking?

Because holy-sextuple post, Batman.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:41 am UTC

When were those questions even from??
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:47 am UTC

Pages one, two, and fifty-three.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:13 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Pages one, two, and fifty-three.

That aligns pretty well with the published best practice for not getting slapped after saying "I didn't read the whole thread, but".

Sable, since you didn't pause at posting six times in a row, perhaps it's time for a trip to the rules thread? PM me when you understand what you did wrong and I won't give you a hilariously shameful title.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:32 pm UTC

Six times in a row ... on this thread? I'm not sure I trust your judgement, Sir. You appear to have miscounted ... and to like cats.

The "delete" buttons have vanished from them.

From the other four posts, I mean, not from the cats. Cats with little red "X"s on their right ears would look wrong, and be very vulnerable to flies if they were touchscreen cats.
I don't know and have no opinion.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:05 pm UTC

1 2 3 4 5 6

You can't delete your own posts once others have posted after you, but in the future just put all your responses in one post in the first place. (I typically will copy-paste from other new post windows into a single one, if I'm replying to and quoting multiple other things at once.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:13 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Six times in a row ... on this thread? I'm not sure I trust your judgement, Sir. You appear to have miscounted ... The "delete" buttons have vanished from them.

Next time you're trying to be cute, make sure you understand how and when you can delete posts. Gmal has fixed it for you.

You've now broken two rules in the thread. Identify which ones in a PM and let this thread get back on topic.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:09 pm UTC

Does anyone outside of the UK use 'Hoover', as in these guys:
as a generic/household brand name? It's been verbed as well: I tend to hoover my house (with a Dyson, nonetheless), as do most people I know, and no-one ever transitively verbs it as 'vacuum' in conversation.

When someone eats all the cupcakes on the tray really fast, do they 'hoover' them up?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:12 pm UTC

I had never heard hoover until I moved to the UK.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:23 pm UTC

I know of Hoover and I think I heard it used this way, but I can't tell you when and where it happened.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:28 pm UTC

It strikes me as a thing that was maybe a thing in like a Looney Toons heyday
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:34 pm UTC

Northeastern US - the only place I've heard Hoover as a verb is in British media, although I'm familiar with the brand and have seen Hoover vacuums in homes.

Interestingly, to my grandmother (grew up in Ohio during the interwar years) all vacuums are "sweepers" - these things:
Spoiler:
although theirs would likely have been electrically powered rather than the manual shown here.
Hi you.
She(?!)

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:38 pm UTC

Middle US (Illinois/Indiana/Ohio) - never heard anyone use "hoover" as a verb or a generic noun. Only appears in UK shows I watch (and then almost entirely), though I know Hoover vacuum cleaners as well, and remember commercials running often on TV, along with their jingle.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:56 pm UTC

I've heard it from my wife's mom, who is from Columbus Ohio. I think it's akin to how we google something on duckduckgo. It appears to be a dated expression though.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:30 am UTC

I've heard it used, but only by older relatives and friends.

And the aforementioned BBC as well.
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
I'm a sparklepony!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:40 am UTC

Reminds me of fridge, which is a genericised term for refrigerator in Canada/US. I didn't find out that it had (sorta) been a brand name (from "Frigerator" I think) until a few years ago, when I also learned that Australia uses a different word. Except I just looked that up and apparently it isn't true. Fuck my memory.

Also, fuck eran's avatar for reminding me of how awful those things sound.

Not eran personally. eran can remain unfucked.
TEAM SHIVAHN

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:09 am UTC

I have a great aunt who always calls it the "Frigidair" which for the longest time I thought was just a weird quirk of the Hungarian accent.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:18 am UTC

poxic wrote:Also, fuck eran's avatar for reminding me of how awful those things sound.

Not eran personally. eran can remain unfucked.

awwww....

"can't I have just a little bit of peril?"
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
I'm a sparklepony!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:37 am UTC

No. It's unhealthy.
TEAM SHIVAHN

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:28 am UTC

I've been familiar with hoovering for some time but I don't know if I learnt it from a book or what.

In any case everyone should absolutely read "Made in America" by Bill Bryson for a thoroughly engrossing trip through the development of American English and its subsequent contributions.
kalira wrote:But your own butt is always in the past, because it's behind you.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:32 am UTC

South African here, I also knew of Hoover only as a brand name until I lived in the UK where I became familiar with the verb form.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

Return to “General”