1037: "Umwelt"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

postmanphobia

overseas

Postby postmanphobia » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:50 pm UTC

I have to say, this is genius, simple little adjustments for all these different locations/browsers/settings. I have been a follower for probly a couple years now, and never made a forum account til today. currently overseas, and in an identical situation to what pops up for us over here. Though the laptop connected to the system doesn't have internet, the one next to it was on xkcd:) nail on the head....printed it off and posted it next to the radar screen(not missiles...rockets and mortars and artillery though lol) Glorious!

prssn

Re: 1037(?): Umwelt

Postby prssn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:58 pm UTC

Hope everybody gets the little prince-reference in the snake comic

rykilde

Postby rykilde » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:29 pm UTC

I freely admit I stopped lurking and joined the forum just to post this. I checked the comic from work and saw this one. I don't think it's been posted yet... I just wanted to say hello, and thank you. This sort of thing means so much to everyone here at DFCI. :)
Attachments
Umwelt DFCI.jpg
Umwelt DFCI.jpg (58.14 KiB) Viewed 15704 times

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:52 am UTC

Daimon wrote:Was I the only one who thought of trying to see it on a browser from 1993 and seeing Umwelt not show completely?

Probably. I tried Mosaic, but my copy was from 1996.

turvycat wrote:I love this. In Safari on the Mac I get the tunnel of light. Anybody think it might be a reference to the late Steve Jobs?

Unlikely. As far as I can tell, the white circle is the "we didn't recognize your browser's User-Agent" comic. Since the User-Agent parsing code appears to be rather fragile, it shows up a lot for me on non-Mac browsers.

tabularasa

Postby tabularasa » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:28 pm UTC

I'm so glad i checked the forums today because I didn't understand the relation of the alt-text to the berlin chairlift comic.

Mind. Blown.

Thanks for putting so much effort into entertaining us!

AislinKageno

Postby AislinKageno » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:36 pm UTC

rykilde wrote:I freely admit I stopped lurking and joined the forum just to post this. I checked the comic from work and saw this one. I don't think it's been posted yet... I just wanted to say hello, and thank you. This sort of thing means so much to everyone here at DFCI. :)

Hey, cool! I had considered ceasing to check if this thread was updated - I have kept the tab open since April 1 - but this was a good reason to keep checking! I hadn't seen this one.
<insert awesome signature here!>

dsty292

Postby dsty292 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:48 pm UTC

Updated google doc.
http://tinyurl.com/UnweltXKCD

For new readers, the google doc linked above contains most (if not all) of the comics that Randall drew.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:22 pm UTC

zwrose wrote:
kanraga wrote:From an MIT address, another variation on the Wellesley/Smith comic:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7628/xkcdmit.png

(Course 15 is Economics)

When I read the alt-text, I honestly thought "Umwelt" was referring to how MIT students in different majors perceived the same environment differently, and then I came to the forums and found another layer of recursive meaning. This is the greatest comic.

Have to jump in and correct you here, 15 is Management Science (Economics is 14). At MIT undergrad course 15 is typically the butt of all jokes, as it has a significantly lighter (and usually easier) workload than most of the other majors (related: example course 15 lab: http://lolbeavers.mit.edu/photo/15301-lab-5-bunnies/).

Of course, Course 15 is also the #2 undergrad business program in the US, only behind UPenn, and they tend to as a group go on to make gobs more money than the other majors at MIT, so, they get the last laugh.

So, tell me, how many Nobel prizes have been awarded to MIT Business majors?

Well, there was.. no. Um, then there was... hmmm.

VictoriaJ

Postby VictoriaJ » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:56 am UTC

I've seen all the ones on the google document but not clicked all the links in this thread given how many repeats there are, so I may have missed something.

I joined to ask if anyone had looked for any of the following. I'm not technologically skilled enough to pretend I'm looking from somewhere else, but some of the people here have clearly been doing that.

Someone suggested they had "all" the states with the earthquake/aurora - but I haven't seen anything for Hawaii. I wondered because Alaska got it's own comic. Did anyone look from there ?

I also wondered if there were any further afield geographical ones. I know there can't be comics for all the countries but what about continents - is there one for Africa ? Has anyone looked ?

Lastly - what about Antarctica ? I would have included that, and Nasa and the military were both covered, and there's plenty of scientist XKCD fans with at least some internet access for some of the research stations there.

I'm going to be wondering what we're missing for a long time I think.

ggrohmann

Postby ggrohmann » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:17 pm UTC

Here in Germany I got the "Berlin Chairlift"- one at work. But back home on my Linux-machine its only the white hole, using Seamonkey or Konqueror - and the chairlift again on Firefox! So fired up an VM running XP und startet IE8 and got the white hole, while Firefox on XP displays the german one again. Cool!

Persephone2012

Postby Persephone2012 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:15 pm UTC

rykilde wrote:I freely admit I stopped lurking and joined the forum just to post this. I checked the comic from work and saw this one. I don't think it's been posted yet... I just wanted to say hello, and thank you. This sort of thing means so much to everyone here at DFCI. :)

THANK YOU for posting the DFCI comic. I got annoyed enough that none of the lists had it, that I made an account myself to post it. But you beat me to it. :D

DFCI <3 the Munroes

faranim

Postby faranim » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:03 pm UTC

I'm not sure if I saw this one posted yet. This is via a really old version of Firefox at Work. I didn't even realize this was an April fools comic until I came to this thread today.

In IE7 I get the snake one.

midian

Postby midian » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:12 pm UTC

another late to the party...

going back to the uk one. screen shots here show it as one long panel but it changes 3 times according the the size of the window. (firefox 11 in the uk)

1. small screen: plain stick man with text 'sorry i don't have a comic poking fun at the uk here...')
2. medium screen: man on is standing on land, flag and sea appear.
3. full screen: woman with union flag standing on land across the water replying to him 'hey, at least we have free health care...'

i was at first a bit miffed as i thought he was being a bit cheeky. now really chuffed that it was location, browser and window size specific

(chrome gave me the sergey brin' plugin joke and ie the snake).

thank you, randall, thank you very very much.

hthall

Postby hthall » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:23 am UTC

Inglonias wrote:I got the one for Germany, despite the fact that I'm in Northern VA.

Why?

The airlift benefited Germany but was planned and authorized from Washington, DC; the comic connects those two places.
Look at me, still talking when there's Science to do.

kralik

Postby kralik » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:30 am UTC

Sometimes this comic doesn't load anything, loading the previous one instead (Reviews)

Happens on JSON-based xkcd browsers (eg on Android) and also in xlikns and wget (non-JSON)
(see http://xkcd.com/1037/info.0.json)

Bug?

Sanctor

Postby Sanctor » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:59 pm UTC

Json information for this comic gives the previous comic's image url. This messes up any browser or app that uses the protocol. I would appreciate it if you fixed this.

Celtic Minstrel

Postby Celtic Minstrel » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:15 pm UTC

AislinKageno wrote:Hey, cool! I had considered ceasing to check if this thread was updated - I have kept the tab open since April 1 - but this was a good reason to keep checking! I hadn't seen this one.
Ditto. That was a new one to me as well.

dsty292 wrote:Updated google doc.
http://tinyurl.com/UnweltXKCD

For new readers, the google doc linked above contains most (if not all) of the comics that Randall drew.

I suppose you scraped both this thread and the reddit thread?

LegendaryPancake

Postby LegendaryPancake » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:32 am UTC

I literally registered just to say how awesome it is that Randall puts this much work into one comic. He might not see this, but if he does, kudos man.

NimoStar

Postby NimoStar » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:35 am UTC

In the Google Doc I couldn't see the snake one, so I post here the picture I got:

http://postimage.org/image/4syuncfcn/

It is larger than most (includes "paradox ending")
http://s15.postimage.org/pd3oltv3u/webcomic.jpg

Celtic Minstrel

Postby Celtic Minstrel » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:04 pm UTC

It can get longer than that.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:23 pm UTC

Carnildo wrote:As far as I can tell, the white circle is the "we didn't recognize your browser's User-Agent" comic. Since the User-Agent parsing code appears to be rather fragile, it shows up a lot for me on non-Mac browsers.

It isn't. That comic isn't available everywhere and it can come up is some situation only for recognized browsers. There is actually a specific comic for if the UA parsing code (or any other code) entirely fails. Also, non-Mac? We barely tested on Mac. Nearly all the testing was on Linux. I think you should want to reconsider your theory.

NeatNit

Postby NeatNit » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:58 am UTC

davean wrote:
Carnildo wrote:As far as I can tell, the white circle is the "we didn't recognize your browser's User-Agent" comic. Since the User-Agent parsing code appears to be rather fragile, it shows up a lot for me on non-Mac browsers.

It isn't. That comic isn't available everywhere and it can come up is some situation only for recognized browsers. There is actually a specific comic for if the UA parsing code (or any other code) entirely fails. Also, non-Mac? We barely tested on Mac. Nearly all the testing was on Linux. I think you should want to reconsider your theory.

davean, I am very confused about what you just said. Could you please go into more details? Like, for example, explain what all the possible outcomes are and what all the required conditions are for each. Thanks!

;)

vcpink

Postby vcpink » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:33 am UTC

don't know if anyone has posted this, or if it is significant, but googling (xkcd 1037) gets me this as the result, and it appears to be specific to this comic.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 12.28.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 12.28.22 AM.png (11.21 KiB) Viewed 13362 times

Arariel

Postby Arariel » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:02 am UTC

davean wrote:

Makes sense. Chrome/Chromium on Fedora gives me the the white circle, while Konqueror (definitely a much more obscure and much likelier to get an unrecognised user-agent) gets the police diver one.

vcpink wrote:don't know if anyone has posted this, or if it is significant, but googling (xkcd 1037) gets me this as the result, and it appears to be specific to this comic.

The bottom text has been there forever. Well, not forever, forever, but for several years now.

Bounty

Re: 1037: "Umwelt"

Postby Bounty » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:42 pm UTC

I was goofing off, and noticed there's a "Transcript" tag on the comic. I don't think they're all here, and if you can't see them it's hard to tell which are panel cuts and which are variant comics, but it may help track down a few of the rarer comics

Code: Select all

[[Two people...]]

((..wait.. &lt;scrolls through a listing of everything&gt; oh goddammit Randall. Thanks a bunch, dude. I better get a raise for typing out all this))

[[Two people standing next to each other.  One is holding the head end of a snake.  Depending on the width of your browser, the snake is:
three frames, the third of which  has a little bit of a bump;
the first frame has a human-size bump, the second has a third person looking at the snake, and the third has the snake going though two Portals;
a squirrel and the human-size bump in the first frame, a ring next to the third person in the second frame, and Beret Guy riding the snake in front of the portal;
or
The squirrel, a fourth person within the snake being coiled, and the human bump in the first frame, the ring, a fifth person in love, and the third person in the second frame, Beret Guy and the portal in the third frame, and the same two people in the fourth frame.]]
Person holding snake head: I found a snake, but then I forgot to stop.

[[Two people sitting at a desk.  One is Black Hat Guy.  The other is an analyst.  Black Hat Guy has a number of terminals attached to his head]]
Analyst: You come across a tortoise in the desert. You flip it over. It struggles to right itself. You watch. You&#39;re not helping.  Why is that?

Black Hat Guy: It *knows* what it did.

[[View of the entire scene, with said turtle off in the distance on its back and trying to right itself.

[[A group of four scale down a wall into a field in the middle of the night.  They walk off single-file]]
Person 1: It&#39;s quiet.

Person 3: Yeah - *Too* quiet.

[[A Velociraptor is off in the distance, following the group]]
Person 4: Yeah - too *too* quiet.

Person 2: Yeah - 2quiet2furious.
Person 1: Fuck off, Steve.

[[A landscape showing a pond, some reeds, and a set of mountains off in the distance]]

[[A trio of galaxies]]
Galaxy 1: He&#39;s not looking!
Galaxy 3: Let&#39;s get him!
[[Lines draw in illustrating the eye-line of one of a pair of people]]
Person 1: So he said he didn&#39;t get the text, but c&#39;mon, he *never* misses texts. Right? ..hello?
Peson 2: I&#39;m just staring at your head freaked out by th efact that there are millions of galaxies *directly behind it*.

[[Person holding bat]]
Person: Sorry, but this comic

[[Person starts to wind up]]
*requires*

[[Person prepares to strike with bat]]
XKCD

[[Person swings at a beehive]]
*GOLD*

[[Penis Bees fly out of the beehive]]

[[Person yells at another person]]
Person 1;Oh yeah? Well you mama&#39;s so *cynical*, her only dog ballast is a *leash*!
(This comic takes place in a dystopian future where the government is afraid dogs can hover, so it requires them to wear weights at all times, and some people privately doubt the government, but not enough to stop buying dog weights)

Five seconds ago:
[[You sitting in front of a desk, reading a reddit thread]]
You: Oh, hey, reddit has a link to some XKCD april fools comic.

Now:
[[An image of this very page]]

Five seconds from now:
You: ..hey

30 seconds from now:
[[DANCE PARTY!]]

Person: What I wanna know is why do hot dogs come in packages of six while buns come in these huge sacks of ash and blood from which &quot;Ave Maria&quot; is faintly audible?
[[Chanting sacks of gore in the background]]

[[There&#39;s no comic here because instead of drawing one, I spent the last hour reading every news story cited in the Wikipedia article on &quot;The Mile High Club&quot;]]

[[A twitter account page with the following:
Many tweets, fewer following, even fewer followers,
A bunch of assholes in the suggested follow box,
trending topics partitioned into: Word Games, Misogyny, and Bieber,
stuff your eyes automatically ignore,
A really pleasant blue.
and the timeline:
Something about a podcast,
Someone confused because the description doesn&#39;t match the link,
The link you clicked on to get to this comic,
Rob Delaney,
Passive Aggression,
and horse_ebooks.]]

[[An epic void with a bright light shining right on you]]

[[A Chrome plugin error page with the characteristic jigsaw piece]]
Chrome: Chrome is looking for this piece. Have you seen it? Chrome thinks it links up with a corner.

[[A Chrome plugin error page]]
Chrome: This plugin requires Sergey Brin&#39;s permission to run.  Please wait while he is woken.

[[Two people; one is sitting at a desk in front of a laptop.]]
Person 1: Man, chrome&#39;s hardware acceleration really sucks.
Person 2: Oh - Theres&#39; a great add-on that fixes it.
Person 1: Oh? What&#39;s it called?
Person 2: &quot;Firefox&quot;.

[[A chrome plugin error page]]
Chrome: There does not exist --nor could there *ever* exist-- a plugin capable of displaying this content.

[[IE error page]]
IE: Error: Internet Explorer has given up.

[[Firefox error page]]
Firefox: Well, this is embarassing.  You know how I&#39;m not supposed to peek at your browsing in private mode? Firefox.. is sorry.  Firefox will not blame you if you
[[button with text]] click here to report this incident.

Person: Maxthon? Hey, 2005 called. Didn&#39;t say anything. All I could hear was sobbing.  This is getting harder.  Anyway, yeah, Maxthon&#39;s still cool! Didn&#39;t know it was still around!

[[Person with tentacle arms]]
Person: Netscape Navigator? Hey, the nineties called - drunk as usual.  I hung up without saying anything.  This is getting harder. Anyway - it&#39;s cool that you&#39;e got netscape running.

[[normal person]]
Person: Netscape Navigator? Hey, the nineties called - drunk as usual.  I hung up without saying anything.  This is getting harder. Anyway - it&#39;s cool that you&#39;e got netscape running.

[[Person running to laptop]]
I ran to Rockmest to hide my face

[[Person sitting at laptop]]
But Rockmelt cried out -

[[Laptop shouting]]
NO HIDING PLACE

[[zoom out]]
NO HIDING PLACE DOWN HERE

[[Error page]]
Error: You have exceeded your AT&amp;T monthly bandwidth cap.  Mobile web browsing has been disabled.

[[Person looking at two browser windows]]
I know y&#39;all know what you&#39;re doing.  But if you&#39;re on a military machine and youre supposed to be watching for missiles or something, I hope you&#39;re keeping an eye on that in the background while you&#39;re reading comics.
Also: Thanks.

[[Error page]]
Data Error: T-Mobile was unable to establish a connection

[[Error page]]
Error; You have exceeded your Verizon monthly bandwidth cap.  Mobile web browsing has been disabled.

[[Chrome error page]]
Chrome: This plugin requires clearance from the corporate press office in order to run.  Remember, Amazon is a team; individual employees should *never* speak for the company without authorization.

[[Firefox error page]]
Firefox: This plugin requires clearance from the corporate press office in order to run.  Remember, Amazon is a team; individual employees should *never* speak for the company without authorization.

[[Chrome error page]]
Chrome: This plugin requires clearance from the corporate press office in order to run.  Remember, Google is a team; individual employees should *never* speak for the company without authorization.

[[Chrome error page]]
Chrome: This plugin requires clearance from the corporate press office in order to run.  Remember, Microsoft is a team; individual employees should *never* speak for the company without authorization.

[[Firefox error page]]
Firefox: This plugin requires clearance from the corporate press office in order to run.  Remember, Microsoft is a team; individual employees should *never* speak for the company without authorization.

[[Error page]]
Error: This plugin requires clearance from the corporate press office in order to run.  Remember, Microsoft is a team; individual employees should *never* speak for the company without authorization.

[[Chrome error page]]
Chrome: This plugin requires clearance from the corporate press office in order to run.  Remember, The Times is a team; individual employees should *never* speak for the company without authorization.

[[Error page]]
Error: This plugin requires clearance from the corporate press office in order to run.  Remember, The Times is a team; individual employees should *never* speak for the company without authorization.

[[Error page]]
Error: This plugin requires clearance from the corporate press office in order to run.  Remember, We work as a team; individual employees should *never* speak for the company without authorization.

[[A snowy Alaskan field]]
Person: Some people hunt wolves from helicopters.  I hunt helicopters from a wolf.

[[TV Field Reporter in front of a cordoned-off lake]]
Police divers searching the bay say they have recovered thebody of another victim of the &quot;Lake Diver Killer&quot;  During the search, three more divers were reported missing.

Robot Paul Revere: Remember: Zero if by land, One if by sea.

[[Person unsuspectingly strolls under a giant box trap controled by a Trible.]]
I worry that CNU only invited me back as a ruse because they realized I never turned in my final paper and want my diploma back.  But if it turns out it&#39;s for real, I&#39;ll see you wednesday at the Ferguson!

[[Two people; one of which is browsing using a laptop]]
Person 1: Hey, you&#39;re French, right?  Ever see what happens when you type &quot;French Military Victories&quot; into Google?
French person: Does it take you to an article on Napoleon?

French person: ..no? Strange, given how he kicked everyone&#39;s asses up and down europe for over a decade.

[[beat]]

Person 1: Touche.
French person: You know, that&#39;d sound smarter if you didn&#39;t pronounce it like it rhymes with &quot;douche&quot;.

[[A person dropping food from an unorthodox high perch]]
June 1948: In response to the Soviet blockade of East Germany, the western allies construct the Berlin Chairlift.
Person on chairlift: Food!

[[The Lincoln Monument]]
In this Marble Prison
As in the nightmares of the nation they tried to devour
The nanobots that constituted Abraham Lincoln
Are entombed forever.

[[Person on phone]]
((Translation from Hebrew))
Person: Mom, I met a great guy! But he&#39;s not Jewish.  ... Wait, what do you mean &quot;neither are we&quot;? I&#39;m completely confused.

[[Person on a motorcycle with a heat-entropy graph on the side]]
Person 1: Check out my new Carnot Cycle!
Person 2: Neat -- how fast does it go?
Person 1: Depends how cold it is outside.

[[Illustration of the atlantic ocean]]
American person: Sorry I don&#39;t have a comic poking fun at the UK here.  I only had time to get to the most *important* US states.
British person: Hey -- At least we have free health care and real ale.

[[Two people in front of a group of students]]
Person 1: I&#39;ve hired a team of MIT students to count cards for us.
Person 2: We&#39;ll be rich!

[[Person 2 deals some cards while the students watch]]

[[The gears turn..]]

Student: Five. There are five cards.
Person 1: I see their admission standards have been slipping.
Person 2: Yeah - there are actually four.

Person 1: I&#39;ve hired a team of MIT students to count cards for us.

[[The gears turn..]]

Person 1: I *knew* we shouldn&#39;t have picked course 15s.

Person 1: I&#39;ve hired a team of Smith students to count cards for us.

[[The gears turn..]]

Person 1: We should&#39;ve gone with Wellesley

Person 1: I&#39;ve hired a team of Wellesley students to count cards for us.

[[The gears turn..]]

Person 1: We should&#39;ve gone with Smith.

[[Newspaper headline]]
RIT students create life in lab
[[caption under picture of students]]
&quot;The trick was fuckin&#39;&quot;

[[Newspaper headline]]
Scientists create life in lab
[[caption under picture of scientists]]

[[Newspaper headline]]
UMass Amherst students create life in lab
[[caption under picture of students]]

[[Person heading out past another person comfortably sitting in front of a desk]]
Person 1: Apparently there&#39;s a solar storm causing northern lights over Canada.  CNN say they might even be visible {{Options: &quot;As Far South As Us&quot;, &quot;Here in Boston&quot;, &quot;Maine&quot;, &quot;Ohio&quot;, &quot;Oregon&quot;, &quot;New York&quot;}}! Wanna drive out to see?
Person 2: It&#39;s cold out.
Person 1: Ok. Later.

[[An expansive, marvelous image of emerald green northern lights, floating down through the sky]]

Person 2: See anything?
Person 1: No, just clouds.
Person 2: Not surprised.

[[Person heading out past another person comfortably sitting in front of a desk]]
Person 1:Apparently there&#39;s a solar flare that&#39;s causing some Great Aurorae.  CBC says they may even be visible here! Wanna drive out to see?
Person 2: Hockey&#39;s on.
Person 1: Ok. Later.

[[An expansive, marvelous image of emerald green northern lights, floating down through the sky]]

Person 2: See anything?
Person 1: No, just clouds.
Person 2: Not surprised.

[[Two people sitting at a desk, facing each other. The desk rattles.]]
Person 1: Stop jiggling your leg.
Person 2: I&#39;m not ji-.. oh!
Person 1: What!
Person 2: You&#39;ll get it..

[[EVERYTHING RUMBLES]]
Person 1: ..HOLY CRAP IT&#39;S AN EARTHQUAKE!
Person 2: Just a little one. Happens all the time back in San Francisco.

Person 1: But this is {{Options: &quot;Alabama&quot;, &quot;Boston&quot;, &quot;Chicago&quot;, &quot;Dallas&quot;, &quot;Georgia&quot;, &quot;Halifax&quot;, &quot;Illinois&quot;, &quot;Michigan&quot;, &quot;Minnesota&quot;, &quot;Missouri&quot;, &quot;the Northeast&quot;, &quot;Ohio&quot;, &quot;Oklahoma&quot;, &quot;Ottawa&quot;, &#39;Pennsylvania&quot;, &quot;Philadelphia&quot;, &quot;Texas&quot;, &quot;Toronto&quot;, &quot;Tennessee&quot;, &quot;New York&quot;, &quot;Wisconsin&quot;}}! That was huge!
Person 2: Seriously? That&#39;s the worst this place can do? Wow. I guess we grow up tougher in California.
Person 1: Oh *really*...

Six Months Later..
[[Both people are trudging through a massive blizzard]]
Person 2: In pictures, snow always looked so nice and sof -- AAAA! MY NECK! How do people live here?!
Person 1: Come on - it&#39;s only three more miles.

[[Two people sitting at a desk, facing each other. The desk rattles.]]
Person 1: Stop jiggling your leg.
Person 2: I&#39;m not ji-.. oh!
Person 1: What!
Person 2: You&#39;ll get it..

[[EVERYTHING RUMBLES]]

Person 1: But this is {{Options: &quot;Alabama&quot;, &quot;Dallas&quot;, &quot;Illinois&quot;, &quot;The Midwest&quot;, &quot;Missouri&quot;, &quot;Ohio&quot;, &quot;Oklahoma&quot;, &quot;Ottawa&quot;, &quot;Tennessee&quot;, &quot;Texas&quot;}}! That was huge!
Person 2: Seriously? That&#39;s the worst this place can do? Wow. I guess we grow up tougher in California.

Six Months Later..
[[Both people are in a shelter in a prairie with a rapidly-approaching tornado]]
Person 2: AAAA CLOSE THE SHELTER DOOR!
Person 1: Say the magic words...
Person 2: THIS PLACE IS THE WORST!
Person 1: Thank you.

[[EVERYTHING RUMBLES]]

Person 1: But this is {{Options: &quot;D.C&quot;, &quot;Florida&quot;, &quot;Houston&quot;, &quot;Miami&quot;, &quot;New Jersey&quot;, &quot;North Carolina&quot;, &quot;South Carolina&quot;, &quot;Virgina&quot;}}! That was huge!

Six Months Later..
[[Both are in the middle of a hurricane. Person 2 is grabbing onto a signpost to avoid being swept away]]
Person 2: AAAAA WHAT THE SHIIIIT!
Person 1: Calm down - this is barely a category 2.

{{Title text: Umwelt is the idea that because their senses pick up on different things, different animals in the same ecosystem actually live in very different worlds. Everything about you shapes the world you inhabit--from your ideology to your glasses prescription to your web browser.}}

WolfieMario

Postby WolfieMario » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

Bounty wrote:I was goofing off, and noticed there's a "Transcript" tag on the comic. I don't think they're all here, and if you can't see them it's hard to tell which are panel cuts and which are variant comics, but it may help track down a few of the rarer comics

I read through the whole thing, and didn't find any I hadn't seen, except for some minor/subtle variations (e.g. all the different states for each disaster). In addition, there was only one comic I did see which wasn't transcribed in there :shock:

Assuming the DFCI comic is legitly part of the Umwelt collection, I guess this means your transcript isn't comprehensive of all the strips... Rather, it seems to contain everything that had been found and posted at the Google doc :o
"Sometimes game development isn't about doing what is nice to everyone all the time." - Jens Bergensten

Bounty

Postby Bounty » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

WolfieMario wrote:
Bounty wrote:I was goofing off, and noticed there's a "Transcript" tag on the comic.
Assuming the DFCI comic is legitly part of the Umwelt collection, I guess this means your transcript isn't comprehensive of all the strips... Rather, it seems to contain everything that had been found and posted at the Google doc :o

It's not 'my' transcript, but part of the page. if you view the page source for any comic before the current one you'll find this tag after the Image URL link
<div id="transcript" style="display: none">
This appears to be related to the google search bar. How old is that?

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:34 pm UTC

The white spiral is oddly similar to the inside of an SEM filament cap (Wenhelt)...
Attachments
untitled001 Snapshot.jpg
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

WolfieMario

Postby WolfieMario » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:48 pm UTC

Bounty wrote:
WolfieMario wrote:
Bounty wrote:I was goofing off, and noticed there's a "Transcript" tag on the comic.

It's not 'my' transcript, but part of the page. if you view the page source for any comic before the current one you'll find this tag after the Image URL link
<div id="transcript" style="display: none">
This appears to be related to the google search bar. How old is that?

Yeah, I just meant the transcript you provided, I didn't mean I thought you created it :P

I wonder if the transcript is comprehensive of all the April Fools comics available to the world, and Randall actually got Dana Farber to have a unique one by asking their network admins to do that (perhaps because using IPs would neither guarantee all computers at Dana Farber have the comic, nor guarantee that computers outside Dana Farber don't have it? I don't know much about the distribution of IPs to know whether a lookup table would work to do something like this.).

Or perhaps he just added that comic later and forgot to give it a transcript? :P
"Sometimes game development isn't about doing what is nice to everyone all the time." - Jens Bergensten

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:51 am UTC

WolfieMario wrote:Or perhaps he just added that comic later and forgot to give it a transcript? :P

The transcripts are provided by the community.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:27 pm UTC

I've moved around so much that I didn't even pick up on the fact that the comic mentioned my current city specifically.
It was the tornado/earthquake one.
And I'm -2.

inu

Postby inu » Tue May 01, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3cm4mm77d1ql1q6ro1_1280.png

Carnot cycle?

Just registered to post this :D

firenze

Postby firenze » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:47 pm UTC

Has anyone seen this version from the xkcd iphone app

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o595/firenze42/IMG_0319.png

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:58 am UTC

firenze wrote:Has anyone seen this version from the xkcd iphone app

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o595/firenze42/IMG_0319.png

Yeah, the comic linked to in the JSON API for this one just has the details for the previous strip... so if you're browsing from an app, rather than looking at the actual page with all its dynamic funkiness, then that's what you're getting.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:26 am UTC

Is there any way to experience the different variations using the page, with the javascript and such functioning? I think I've gotten 4 variations, but none that expand on resize.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

maxusatom7

Postby maxusatom7 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:57 am UTC

I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Mozilla Firefox 27 and I'm getting a simple drawing of a pond.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:51 am UTC

Alt-text: Umwelt is the idea that because their senses pick up on different things, different animals in the same ecosystem actually live in very different worlds. Everything about you shapes the world you inhabit--from your ideology to your glasses prescription to your browser window size.

Biologists can be deep.
As deep as imagining life as a Nymph can be.

I am pleased with my screen.
I hope it is not too dull
for those I share a window size with.

Joke:
Spoiler:
What is it like to be walking down the street wearing glasses,
when the prescription runs out?

I know.
It seems like nothing.
Is it true?

Is that the One thing physics has taught us?
Something is Always happening!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Gamma Emerald

Postby Gamma Emerald » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:26 pm UTC

Am I supposed to get nothing on Edge?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:04 pm UTC

Yes and no. The whole service for Umwelt is broken, so no one can view Umwelt regardless of browser (or other trait that changed the appearance of the comic).

You are not supposed to get nothing on Edge, but it's not that you get nothing because of using Edge.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”