The 'I miss orchestra' support group.

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Dave_Wise

The 'I miss orchestra' support group.

Postby Dave_Wise » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

Well, when I was younger I was part of several young people's orchestras, playing the 'cello.
I miss it. I miss the pressure, the 'we've got to get this thing presentable in six days' feeling. I miss being on the stage, I miss the camraderie, the long periods with nothing to do between rehearsals.
Anybody else in a similar position?
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Re: The 'I miss orchestra' support group.

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:52 am UTC

I was in my high school's indoor drumline back in the day (pit). I miss it and all the crazy people who were also there
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:15 pm UTC

Cool. What's an indoor drumline?
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

I definitely understand this. I just started college this year, and I'm in ensembles, but I really miss high school marching band.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

Yeah, big me too on this one.

One of my favourite things in the world is being in the middle of an orchestra while music is being made. Though I will say I sure as heck don't miss sightreading on piccolo. ;)

Really, though, I miss the camaraderie as well, and being part of making beauty, and the excitement, and learning.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

Though I will say I sure as heck don't miss sightreading on piccolo

I know what you mean- I was always quite weak on sightreading.

I actually tried to form a string quartet with some friends at college, but it didn't work out. We just didn't meet often enough.
-a friend.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:25 pm UTC

As I've become a better musician, the feeling of "we've got to get this thing presentable in 48 hours" has been replaced by the feeling of "OK, I've learned it. Now everyone else had better figure out what the hell they're doing within 48 hours."

This has kind of made things less fun.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:39 pm UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:
Though I will say I sure as heck don't miss sightreading on piccolo

I know what you mean- I was always quite weak on sightreading.

If you don't feel confident in something, seriously, try it on the piccolo. Then you have this incessant feeling that the entire orchestra can hear you sucking. :P
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:12 am UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:Cool. What's an indoor drumline?

See the percussion-realated parts of http://www.wgi.org/ to find out what it's about

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:41 am UTC

I still have a cello, from since high school orchestra, and I keep thinking "Play my cello!", but then I don't because I'm a bad lazy person.

Anyone know anything about how to get things going with a quartet, or other small ensembles? There's a bunch of instruments in my house, that people can sort of make noise on, and it seems like playing as an independent small group shouldn't be too many steps from that. Maybe I just need a better approach to music theory, which is anything other than "copy these words from this side of the page to that side of the page".

Euphonium

Postby Euphonium » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

Not a piccolo player, but I would imagine sightreading would be a bear just because of all the leger lines.

That's why I'm glad most of what I play on trombone or euph anymore is notated in tenor clef when it gets above about F4.

SiriusBeatz

Postby SiriusBeatz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:06 am UTC

I felt really bad about not doing any concert ensembles my first semester of college. I had done marching band, but those of you who have played in both concert and marching bands know how totally different they can be. I just didn't have time for the university concert band or orchestra rehearsal schedules. Luckily, that spring, there was an opening in the student run Gamer Symphony, so I got to appease both my concert ensemble needs and my inner geek needs :lol:

Cinead

Postby Cinead » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:03 am UTC

I played for the last time with my high school bands a few weeks back, we had a big concert for all the leavers. We dressed up, played daft songs (the woodwind quartet put together a Mario meledy) and then, that was it.

I've spent the best part of 8 years playing in these kind of bands, at one points I had 5 or even 6 on the go at once, and I doubt I'll get in next year, cause everyone is gonna be super talented. It's really an odd feeling, and I'm sure gonna miss it all really badly.

Kirstymaria

Postby Kirstymaria » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:16 pm UTC

I really really really really miss playing in an orchestra well playing in general.At the time my main instrument was the clarinet and it took forever to get to first clarinet because my music teach hated me and no that is not like when everyone says their teach hates them she really did even the other teachers knew that and the headmaster but despite her trying to cancel my lessons i carried on an i hated it i despised playing at times it was too much pressure an i didnt want to be sat waiting to rehearse at the annual county concert for 6 hours doing nothing but OH MY DAYS I MISS IT to the point I feel like crying because i just let myself give it up. I went from playing everyday for 8 1/2 years to nothing absolutely nothing ny instruments stayed in their cases under my bed. I got them out and put them on their stands but thatswhere they stayed collecting dust and going dull. I play every now qn again an recently bought a gorgeous piano but it just isnt the same. I have nothing to play for nothing to work towards and that feeling is horrible it feels like a partt of me is missing. Is that strange?

IceFlake

Postby IceFlake » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:07 am UTC

I don't miss orchestra because I'm still in orchestra. Have a rehearsal tonight, in fact. I've been in one or more orchestras for over 30 years straight now. I can't imagine my life without it.

For those of you who are interested in playing again, I wanted to mention that a lot of communities have bands/orchestras for varying levels of amateur players. My own small town has a professional-level symphony (although they don't pay us), two less intensive string orchestra groups with no audition required and a community band. Many universities and community colleges have ensembles that welcome members who are not students. Musical theatre and opera companies are often looking for pit orchestra musicians. Ask around - there's probably something available if you really want to play!

aldonius

Postby aldonius » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:31 pm UTC

I can also suggest finding a community choir and joining it. Usually a little less stressful (and shaky hands are almost irrelevant for choristers!) and many choirs are super social, especially if you can get one attached to your university.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:15 pm UTC

Today is the first day I thought to log in to these fora in about a year, and I am happy to announce that over the past year, my sister dragged me to a community band rehearsal and then I kept coming back every week. Playing a loud crash on the cymbals is somehow even more satisfying than a loud gong hit.

Return to “Music”