London Olympics 2012

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:38 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Роберт wrote:
PeterCai wrote:
Angua wrote:Me watching the footage is what makes it seem ridiculous. Their legs just sort of wobble in the air as they're deciding which one to land on. I can see wanting to jump really high, and wanting to jump really far, but can't see why the hop, skip and jump would be any good at all? Why not just have who can go the furthest in a defined number of jumps? Why place so much emphasis on which leg you're landing on? Where's the logic?

Where's the logic in defining any rule in any sport? I can see wanting to swim really fast, but why restrict the movements? why place so much emphasis on how you stroke the water?

I actually agree. A straight-up swimming race makes more sense to me than one that requires specific strokes.
Probably so that you can have lots of swimming races! I think there should be at least one where you can swim however you want though...

Only if I get to wear jets!

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:39 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I think there should be at least one where you can swim however you want though...

That's what freestyle swimming is, unless you were thinking of even looser rules?
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:40 pm UTC

koberulz wrote:

To be entirely fair, that was enough of a trainwreck that really, nobody had any idea what was going on and someone was going to get screwed either way. Not starting the clock is pretty cut-and-dried.
It was a trainwreck, but one that kept giving extra time that shouldn't have been over and over. Seems like the end result of what should have happened is just as clear, even if the screwing up was more involved.
Last edited by Роберт on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Роберт wrote:
PeterCai wrote:
Angua wrote:Me watching the footage is what makes it seem ridiculous. Their legs just sort of wobble in the air as they're deciding which one to land on. I can see wanting to jump really high, and wanting to jump really far, but can't see why the hop, skip and jump would be any good at all? Why not just have who can go the furthest in a defined number of jumps? Why place so much emphasis on which leg you're landing on? Where's the logic?

Where's the logic in defining any rule in any sport? I can see wanting to swim really fast, but why restrict the movements? why place so much emphasis on how you stroke the water?

I actually agree. A straight-up swimming race makes more sense to me than one that requires specific strokes.
Probably so that you can have lots of swimming races! I think there should be at least one where you can swim however you want though...

Where each competitor is free to chose the style of stroke they want to use? That's madness!
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

The wall has to be touched at every turn and upon completion. Some part of the swimmer must be above water at any time, except for the first 15 metres after the start and every turn. This rule was introduced (see History of swimming) to prevent swimmers from using the faster underwater swimming to their advantage, or even swimming entire laps underwater. The exact FINA rules are:

Freestyle means that in an event so designated the swimmer may swim any style, except that in individual medley or medley relay events, freestyle means any style other than backstroke, breaststroke or butterfly.
Some part of the swimmer must touch the wall upon completion of each length and at the finish.
Some part of the swimmer must break the surface of the water throughout the race, except it shall be permissible for the swimmer to be completely submerged during the turn and for a distance of not more than 15 metres after the start and each turn. By that point the head must have broken the surface.

It can't actually be faster to be depriving yourself of oxygen so much that you're at risk of drowning, can it?
EDIT:
from wikipedia History of swimming:
Another modification was developed for breaststroke. In breaststroke, breaking the water surface increases the friction, reducing the speed of the swimmer. Therefore, swimming underwater increases the speed. This led to a controversy at the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne, and six swimmers were disqualified as they repeatedly swam long distances underwater between surfacing to breathe. The rule was changed to require breaststroke to be swum at the surface starting with the first surfacing after the start and after each turn. However, one Japanese swimmer, Masaru Furukawa, circumvented the rule by not surfacing at all after the start, but swimming as much of the lane under water as possible before breaking the surface. He swam all but 5 m under water for the first three 50 m laps, and also swam half under water for the last lap, winning the gold medal. The adoption of this technique led to many swimmers suffering from oxygen starvation or even some swimmers passing out during the race due to a lack of air, and a new breaststroke rule was introduced by the FINA, additionally limiting the distance that can be swum under water after the start and every turn, and requiring the head to break the surface every cycle. The 1956 Games in Melbourne also saw the introduction of the flip turn, a sort of tumble turn to faster change directions at the end of the lane.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:It can't actually be faster to be depriving yourself of oxygen so much that you're at risk of drowning, can it?

If it's tempting enough that the competitors are going to try it and drown like idiots, then yes, make it against the rules please.
He/Him/His/Alex

K-R

Postby K-R » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:04 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Seems like the end result of what should have happened is just as clear, even if the screwing up was more involved.

It was the Soviets being robbed of a timeout by the scorebench that started the whole thing, though.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:12 pm UTC

Canada 1-0 USA in the women's football with half an hour gone. Come on girls!
He/Him/His/Alex

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:48 pm UTC

Tied at 3 going into overtime. It's a pity one of these teams has to lose.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:15 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:Canada 1-0 USA in the women's football with half an hour gone. Come on girls!

That was brutal :(
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:That was brutal :(

Fucking heartbreaking.
He/Him/His/Alex

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:17 pm UTC

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA! SCREW YOU, CANADA! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I mean ... a well-played game. Hard fought. You put up a good fight.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I looked out across the river today …

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:22 pm UTC

Oh, Alex Morgan. You just broke the hearts of an entire nation. Is there nothing you cannot do?
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:02 pm UTC

Garm wrote:Oh, Alex Morgan. You just broke the hearts of an entire nation. Is there nothing you cannot do?

Land a Rover on another planet? Men's Rugby? Have me know what sport you're involved in?

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:25 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Garm wrote:Oh, Alex Morgan. You just broke the hearts of an entire nation. Is there nothing you cannot do?

Land a Rover on another planet? Men's Rugby? Have me know what sport you're involved in?

Hee hee... Women's soccer. They should have hired her to help with Curiosity. She would have headed the rover into the upper 90.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:45 am UTC

I heard the women's soccer game was great. NBC doesn't have the replay up yet, though :(

Garm

Postby Garm » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:48 am UTC

Less Than Liz wrote:I heard the women's soccer game was great. NBC doesn't have the replay up yet, though :(

I just watched the highlights. Goosebumps.

Solo should have saved the first goal but it was some classy stuff that got Sinclair in the position to score it and Solo was moving the opposite direction so I don't fault her too much. The hand ball on Canada wasn't the best call but looking at the replays it actually seems to go off two player's arms. I can't figure out which one was called, probably the second. Looked like a great game.
- JFK

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:23 am UTC

Angua wrote:
Роберт wrote:
PeterCai wrote:

there is, it's called freestyle swimming,

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:15 am UTC

Currently Grenada is winning Gold Medals & Total Medals per GDP and per population, while China is winning them per GDP per capita.

Source.

It was much more interesting yesterday, though, when:
PRC was winning gold medals, total medals and weighted total medals per GDP per capita
NZ was winning gold medals per capita
Slovenia was winning total medal and weighted total medals per capita
DPRK was winning gold medals and weighted total medals per GDP
Moldova was winning total medals per GDP

Where 'weighted' means gold = 4, silver = 2, bronze = 1
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:28 am UTC

yurell wrote:Currently Grenada is winning Gold Medals & Total Medals per GDP and per population, while China is winning them per GDP per capita.

Source.

It was much more interesting yesterday, though, when:
PRC was winning gold medals, total medals and weighted total medals per GDP per capita
NZ was winning gold medals per capita
Slovenia was winning total medal and weighted total medals per capita
DPRK was winning gold medals and weighted total medals per GDP
Moldova was winning total medals per GDP

Where 'weighted' means gold = 4, silver = 2, bronze = 1

Interesting, although I'd be interested in medals per team member as well as per capita.
I'm actually surprised at how low down GB is on all of the lists,

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:26 am UTC

It's interesting how different countries have entirely different priorities on coverage, based on their nationally favoured sports/events. I think I've only seen one track and field event on TV here in Korea, and I'm sure they're being shown in the UK. The coverage on the four Olympic TV channels here has been dominated by archery, fencing, badminton, wrestling, judo, taekwondo, table tennis and football, with a little bit of gymnastics, swimming, hockey, volleyball and handball. There's been no coverage at all of cycling, marathon/triathlon, equestrian, rowing, canoeing, tennis, boxing or sailing, that I've seen.

It's almost like it's the exact opposite of what I'd see in the UK - all the events in the 'frequently shown' list here, excepting football, would only be on the obscure digital 'red button' channels, or sandwiched into breaks, on UK TV, while almost all the events which I've not seen at all on TV here would be given constant coverage back in the UK.

I know the time difference has something to do with it - all the athletics and swimming finals are in the middle of the night here - but it's definitely not the main factor.

EDIT: Also, because multiple networks are showing the games, it's not uncommon to have two or even three of the four channels showing the same event simultaneously, even when there are half a dozen other events going on at the same time.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:17 am UTC

And in the U.S. the coverage is just shite, and I'm increasingly of the opinion it's built around whichever sports they can show the most commercials in. Hence why they must be amazingly happy to not have the U.S. men's soccer team to deal with.

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:17 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:And in the U.S. the coverage is just shite, and I'm increasingly of the opinion it's built around whichever sports they can show the most commercials in. Hence why they must be amazingly happy to not have the U.S. men's soccer team to deal with.

That goes for most sports, actually. I theorize that's why NASCAR is so popular. Everything is an advertisement. TV coverage is easy. There's no time that taking a commercial break isn't a welcome relief from the lack of action. The Olympics are especially bad because NBC can manipulate the drama of a sport by showing or not showing certain things. The woman's gymnastics are a good example. NBC didn't show the Russian squad falling off the beam in order to make it seem like there was a lot of pressure during the U.S. team's floor exercises. Basically all the U.S. needed to do was not get hurt and they won the gold.
- JFK

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:24 am UTC

And just in general, popular sports in the U.S. have so much down time. Hell, some even have official commercial break time outs. And that's why I'm fairly certain soccer won't ever have the appeal in the states, because the networks don't want to show it because they can't fit in as many commercials.

But yeah, I was watching a water polo match today while working out and the quarters are only eight freaking minutes long on a pretty continuous clock, yet they felt the need to go to commercial break during them. Seriously, you can't go more than ten minutes without a commercial during daytime coverage of an exceedingly rare event of two non-American teams where Americans were only involved by being the team the winner would play?

Also, it'd just be nice if they'd show a flipping variety of events. The lack of any variety more than anything makes me not really care to watch much. I'm intrigued by sports I've not seen before, not sports where having failed to finish puberty is considered a plus.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:52 am UTC

Garm wrote:NBC didn't show the Russian squad falling off the beam in order to make it seem like there was a lot of pressure during the U.S. team's floor exercises. Basically all the U.S. needed to do was not get hurt and they won the gold.

They didn't show a scoreboard update between every rotation?! That's completely absurd. What's the point of watching a sporting event on TV if the broadcaster refuses to actually show/tell you what's happening in it?

wam

Postby wam » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:21 am UTC

Iv been pretty impressed with the BBC coverage. As as a sailing fan in previous olympics its been on channel 8/8 on the red button at 3 am. This year it seems to be getting a lot more attention (does help that we are winning a lot). Also they seem to have found some commentators who know what they are saying. Apart from their obsession with working Ben Ainsle into every event.

Also whilst I don't live in london the impression I get is that everything seems to be working transport wise. It makes a nice change for me as train services are actually running on Sundays around here!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:27 am UTC

Yeah, the BBC has been absolutely killing it. Free to air digital, and online with the iPlayer (which worked fine during the men's 100m), coverage of just about everything as far as I can tell, and it's all free. If this is a socialist utopia, sign me up.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:23 am UTC

I don't see why we can't charge the rest of the world ludicrous sums to experience what we do.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:41 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I don't see why we can't charge the rest of the world ludicrous sums to experience what we do.

Here in the Netherlands the public broadcaster has a live stream duplicating the TV coverage, as well as twelve livestreams covering all the other events, so if you're not interested in the event being shown on TV you can watch something else (though sans commentary, which can be either a plus or a minus).

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:42 am UTC

wam wrote:Also whilst I don't live in london the impression I get is that everything seems to be working transport wise. It makes a nice change for me as train services are actually running on Sundays around here!

I live outside London, and I've only been to a couple of events inside the M25, but was pleasantly surprised that the trains (if somewhat packed) managed to cope. Someone throwing themselves in front of a train at Surbiton last night didn't help my return from Wembley though...

wam wrote:Apart from their obsession with working Ben Ainsle into every event.

Yes the Ben Ainslie obsession was annoying, especially as Percy & Simpson looked the better bet for a sailing gold on the day both boats had their medal races.

dubsola wrote:Yeah, the BBC has been absolutely killing it. Free to air digital, and online with the iPlayer (which worked fine during the men's 100m), coverage of just about everything as far as I can tell, and it's all free. If this is a socialist utopia, sign me up.

The BBC is showing every single sport - it should be possible to find the right red button channel or online stream for whatever you want to watch (as long as you're watching in the UK, that is). The only contention might be where there are multiple events in the same sport going on at once. On the main channels, they've tended to cover what people are most likely to want to watch - so mostly the more popular sports and events where British athletes are competing. That said, though they showed the Team GB mens football exit on BBC3, I think most people were watching Farah, Ennis and Rutherford winning golds in the athletics on BBC1 - I was trying to watch both at once.

One of my friends has a photo of themselves watching handball live in the stadium, whilst simultaneously watching Murray v Fererer in the final of the tennis on a BBC stream on their mobile phone. That blew my mind, as I would've thought the contention for mobile data bandwidth in the stadium would be horrific.

We have a friend who is out in Hong Kong for 6 months, and he's been complaining a lot that the local coverage has shunned what he wanted to watch e.g. no sign of the road cycling or rowing when Team GB were winning their first golds. I bet there was a lot of coverage of the badminton, where half the results were pre-determined by the team management... (one of my bosses is a badminton fan who has been ranting about this).

Adacore wrote:Also, because multiple networks are showing the games, it's not uncommon to have two or even three of the four channels showing the same event simultaneously, even when there are half a dozen other events going on at the same time.

We get this in the UK during the later rounds of the football World Cup / European Championship. The two main terrestrial channels share coverage of the World Cup, so they'll show different group games and knockout matches to begin with. But when it gets to the semi-finals and final (especially if England are involved), both channels will show the same match.

bigglesworth wrote:I don't see why we can't charge the rest of the world ludicrous sums to experience what we do.

It certainly works for selling Eastenders, Top Gear, Dr Who etc...
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

K-R

Postby K-R » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 am UTC

Here in Australia we've got eight pay-TV channels, which between them manage to cover a fair chunk of what's going on, with no commercials during live play. Every medal event is on live.

Meanwhile, on free-to-air, it seems to be rather similar to the complaints about NBC. One channel, flicking between events and commercials seemingly at random.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:35 pm UTC

'But when it gets to the semi-finals and final (especially if England are involved)...'

Which is never!
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:07 pm UTC

johnny_7713 wrote:Here in the Netherlands the public broadcaster has a live stream duplicating the TV coverage, as well as twelve livestreams covering all the other events, so if you're not interested in the event being shown on TV you can watch something else (though sans commentary, which can be either a plus or a minus).

Same deal in Canada.

Something that occurred to me: does the plethora of sailing events mean that the games can never be hosted by a landlocked country?
He/Him/His/Alex

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:25 pm UTC

Well, I think most of the sailing events could be hosted on a sufficiently large lake, but that does still rule out some countries I suppose. It's not beyond consideration that a country could share though, after all it's awarded to a city and not a country I believe, so a city could share with a town outside the borders which had sailing facilities.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:32 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:Something that occurred to me: does the plethora of sailing events mean that the games can never be hosted by a landlocked country?

Interesting question. I guess it depends how far away the nearest suitable body of water is.
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

The body of water doesn't have to be an ocean. You can tell me where Paris, St, Louis, and Moscow held their sailing events, but they were probably quite a trip from the arena.

It's also not unheard of for some events to be outsourced to other nations. in 1956 the equestrian events were held in Stockholm instead of Melbourne.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

Well given they managed to fit them all inside Sydney harbor I imagine a medium lake would work provided there is no weird sub clause in the rules that says they have to be tidal.

Also as others have said they could be miles away, for example for the Beijing Olympics they were at Qingdao which according to Google maps is 668 km from Beijing.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:31 pm UTC

TAKE MY MONEY! TAKE IT! TAKE MY MONEY YOU LIMEY BASTARDS!

Or, because you refuse, I'll resort to masking my ip address to a brit one. BUT ONLY BECAUSE YOU WON'T TAKE MY MONEY! :(

You can tell me where Paris, St, Louis, and Moscow held their sailing events, but they were probably quite a trip from the arena.

Oh oh oh! I know this one. St. Louis didn't bother. Also, they threw a bitchfit to steal the Olympics from Chicago. Oh, and the marathon winner was given rat poison.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:51 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
You can tell me where Paris, St, Louis, and Moscow held their sailing events, but they were probably quite a trip from the arena.

Oh oh oh! I know this one. St. Louis didn't bother. Also, they threw a bitchfit to steal the Olympics from Chicago. Oh, and the marathon winner was given rat poison.

Whoops, so it didn't. I was looking at the wrong column in Wikipedia. :oops:

I can say that the Chicago 2016 bid would have all the sailing on Lake Michigan, and I am given to believe that the Salt Lake City (summer games) bid proposed sailing on the Great Salt Lake. Needless to say, those bids didn't win, but it would seem that it isn't unthinkable.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:The body of water doesn't have to be an ocean. You can tell me where Paris, St, Louis, and Moscow held their sailing events, but they were probably quite a trip from the arena.

Respectively: Meulan-en-Yvelines in the Seine and Le Havre in the English Channel; N/A; and Tallinn, Estonia in the Baltic Sea. So yeah, a bit of a jaunt.

Tirian wrote:It's also not unheard of for some events to be outsourced to other nations. in 1956 the equestrian events were held in Stockholm instead of Melbourne.

This has also been done in sailing as well in the Antwerp Olympics, where they outsourced to the Netherlands for a race. So I suppose that might be an option if an Austrian or Swiss city wanted to have a punt at the summer games (although they seem to have large enough lakes as well).
He/Him/His/Alex

Return to “News & Articles”