London Olympics 2012

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

London Olympics 2012

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:52 pm UTC

Because there doesn't seem to be any thread yet (suprisingly) as far as I can tell, here's a thread to discuss opinions and news of the 2012 London Olympic games.

Already we've seen a great opening ceremony, which included a gaggle of Mary Poppins' fighting a giant Lord Voldemort, the Olympic rings being forged, Paul McCartney leading the Olympic stadium in a singalong of "Hey Jude", the Syrian delegation looking really awkward walking in and of course the Queen of England jumping out of a helicopter with James Bond.


So discuss the Olympics here.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5773
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Angua » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:48 am UTC

They mispronounced my island's name (as well as Grenada's), and the bbc commentators didn't say anything about my country as our flag went past - they just talked about when the GB team would be on.

Mr Bean was fun though.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Steax » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:05 am UTC

In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Kain » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:34 am UTC



Wow, the comments on that article were inane. I don't know which irritated me more, the antisemitic yet somehow liberal commentator or the conservative islamophobe he was arguing with.
That said, I do want to hear why NBC held the interview (my guess would be that they figured that we just don't care about the 7/7 attacks, which sadly is probably accurate to a meaningful extent).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
PatrickRsGhost
Posts: 2278
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:43 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9PluralZAlpha
Contact:

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:40 am UTC

I loved the Opening Ceremonies. Some of my favorite parts included the fly-by along the River Thames. also loved the several references to British Rock, especially Pink Floyd:

1. While flying along the River Thames, we see the Battersea Power Station, complete with pink pig, as shown on their Animals album.

2. During the fly-along, the hands on the Westminster north clock tower (known to many as "Big Ben") spin very fast, with the ticking and chimes from "Time"

3. After the lighting of the torch, "Eclipse" plays

The whole sequence with the children and doctors/nurses was pretty awesome, and of course I squeed when J.K. Rowling came out and read a passage from "Peter Pan". Those giant puppets were some good, old-fashioned nightmare fuel, but yay for Mary Poppins to the rescue. My parents didn't watch it, but when I told my mom about it, she asked if there had been any tributes to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I said there wasn't any direct tribute. She was very miffed. I agreed, there should have been a more blatant tribute. The only subtle tribute was the forging of the ring during the Industrial Revolution scene.

Was it me, or did the uniforms for the U.S.A. team look like they were on loan from some upper-crust prep school or private school? I had seen somewhere complaints about them having worn the berets wrong. I've not been exposed enough to beret-wearing etiquette to really be able to tell.

The Rowan Atkinson/Chariots of Fire sequence was very funny.

The only part I grew bored with, besides the Parade of Nations, was the whole Frank and Jen (or whatever the hell their names were supposed to be) storyline about a boy meeting a girl, and the British music through the decades. True, you heard some awesome tunes, but still. It seemed to drag on.

I know a lot of people on the Interwebz are ticked that the Doctor made no appearance whatsoever. I think it would have been perfect for him to have been in the whole boy-meets-girl thing, escorting one and then another through the different decades.

Really loved Paul McCartney getting the entire stadium to sing the "na-na-na-na"s from "Hey Jude".
PRG

An important message for you:

010000100110010100100000011100110
111010101110010011001010010000001
110100011011110010000001100101011
000010111010000100000011110010110
111101110101011100100010000001100
010011000010110001101101111011011
1000101110

User avatar
TheGrammarBolshevik
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:12 am UTC
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:48 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Was it me, or did the uniforms for the U.S.A. team look like they were on loan from some upper-crust prep school or private school?

No, it wasn't just you. Especially since they had an oversize Ralph Lauren logo in bright white on the chest pockets.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:01 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:Was it me, or did the uniforms for the U.S.A. team look like they were on loan from some upper-crust prep school or private school?

No, it wasn't just you. Especially since they had an oversize Ralph Lauren logo in bright white on the chest pockets.



In the US the problem is less that the uniforms looked bad and more because the uniforms were made in China, which, understandably, people are mad about (for a good reason, I think).

Tirian
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Tirian » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:42 am UTC

I don't like the preppie chic myself, but let's put it in context. Spain: yikes. It's like someone looked at the outfits from Sergeant Pepper and thought "okay, that's kind of ugly, but if we put our minds to it we can make something much uglier...."

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:48 am UTC

Tirian wrote:I don't like the preppie chic myself, but let's put it in context. Spain: yikes. It's like someone looked at the outfits from Sergeant Pepper and thought "okay, that's kind of ugly, but if we put our minds to it we can make something much uglier...."


If the athletes hate them, why didn't they just pitch in their own money for their uniforms?

I think that's their actual sports outfit though, not their opening ceremony outfit. These are three of the men on the Spanish Team from the Opening Ceremony (I got the photo because of the pink wig) and they're definately not wearing that.

Image

User avatar
PatrickRsGhost
Posts: 2278
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:43 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9PluralZAlpha
Contact:

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:55 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:Was it me, or did the uniforms for the U.S.A. team look like they were on loan from some upper-crust prep school or private school?

No, it wasn't just you. Especially since they had an oversize Ralph Lauren logo in bright white on the chest pockets.

In the US the problem is less that the uniforms looked bad and more because the uniforms were made in China, which, understandably, people are mad about (for a good reason, I think).


Mainly because just about everything else sold in the U.S. is made in China. Ralph Lauren has since apologized, not realizing it would cause such a great stir. The company had since promised that if chosen to make the uniforms for the 2014 Winter Olympics, or 2016 Summer Olympics, they will make them here in the U.S.

Usually, when representing a country in an international event such as the Olympic Games, especially when said event is to take place on foreign soil, you'd want to exhibit a bit of that country's pride. The U.S. failed to do so by having the uniforms (and quite possibly the flag itself) made in China, the nation's leader being absent from the events, instead a potential replacement for said lead position attending the games, among other things. If the uniforms had been made by a factory here in the United States, President Obama was in attendance, and a couple of other little nuances, our country would have been better represented.

But, that's just me. If I was organizing the Opening Ceremonies, one thing I would have done that (1) would seem more traditional, and (2) was more appropriate was to have each country's national anthem playing. After the country's name is called out, a snippet of that country's national anthem would be played, then move on to the next country. If no national anthem was available, then play a simple fanfare.

The Ralph Lauren logo was what made me think of school uniforms. It was in the exact place, and was the exact size, as the emblem or logo for a lot of prep schools would be. I had never attended a prep or private school, but I work within a mile radius of one, and I've seen many of the students at some of the local restaurants, especially in the morning for breakfast, right before school starts. They weren't wearing any kind of hats, but the boys were wearing a knit golf shirt with the school's emblem and initials embroidered over the left breast, and khaki pants. The girls wore the same kind of shirt, or a blouse, with green-blue plaid skirts.

They've recently updated the uniforms. That's the school, by the way.

Ninja'd - yep, yikes on Spain's outfits. They look like something you'd expect to see Turkey or Hungary wear, not Spain. When I think of Spain, I think more along the lines of the matadors, the runners in Pamplona, or the girl on the Santitas tortilla chips bag.

There were those marchers that were dressed in garb very similar to Sgt. Pepper.
PRG

An important message for you:

010000100110010100100000011100110
111010101110010011001010010000001
110100011011110010000001100101011
000010111010000100000011110010110
111101110101011100100010000001100
010011000010110001101101111011011
1000101110

Tirian
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Tirian » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:16 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:If the uniforms had been made by a factory here in the United States, President Obama was in attendance, and a couple of other little nuances, our country would have been better represented.


What? We sent a goodwill ambassador. Good looking guy, very Anglo-Saxon, seemed to have some opinions on the Olympics. Didn't you like him?

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby yurell » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:28 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Usually, when representing a country in an international event such as the Olympic Games, especially when said event is to take place on foreign soil, you'd want to exhibit a bit of that country's pride. The U.S. failed to do so by having the uniforms (and quite possibly the flag itself) made in China


Surely nothing represents America better than exploiting free market capitalism to get adequate items made at the cheapest price? [/snark]

As for your statement about having Obama in attendance, would you really want your head of government and head of state in a foreign land watching sport than actually running the country? Sure, there are many things that can make your country 'better represented', but are they worth the cost?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:12 am UTC

Tirian wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:If the uniforms had been made by a factory here in the United States, President Obama was in attendance, and a couple of other little nuances, our country would have been better represented.


What? We sent a goodwill ambassador. Good looking guy, very Anglo-Saxon, seemed to have some opinions on the Olympics. Didn't you like him?


Obama did send his wife Michelle though. Who is very popular.

I expect that he'll stop by sometime soon (they usually do), but if I was President I'd want to watch the opening ceremony the most.

Save Point
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:27 am UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Save Point » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:24 am UTC

Okay, full disclosure, I'm from Rochester, and Abby Wambach went to my high school. So, it's kind of a hometown hero thing.

F....orget whoever punched her in the face. Glad we nailed them 3-0, and I say this as someone who, while rooting for the US, doesn't balls-out hate the opposing team. But that, right there, was bad sportsmanship and bad reffing.

User avatar
charliepanayi
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 pm UTC
Location: London, UK

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:19 am UTC

The Opening Ceremony was a lot of fun, top marks to Danny Boyle and co. I went to see women's fencing yesterday, and enjoyed it. There were a lot of Italians in the crowd (Italy had a clean sweep of the medals in the event I watched) and it made for a great atmosphere.

Now I'm just having problems picking which sport to watch on TV every day! A little annoyed already with the BBC though, who seemed to struggle with the concept of Mark Cavendish not winning a medal yesterday.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

johnny_7713
Posts: 555
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby johnny_7713 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:45 pm UTC

Really enjoyed watching our Crown Prince and Princess support the Dutch swim team. (http://nos.nl/os2012/video/400007-konin ... sters.html, not sure if it will play outside of Holland though). The Dutch TV also had the same surprise at the 'Golden Girls' (4x 100m free stroke relay team) not winning gold.

User avatar
folkhero
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby folkhero » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

yurell wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:Usually, when representing a country in an international event such as the Olympic Games, especially when said event is to take place on foreign soil, you'd want to exhibit a bit of that country's pride. The U.S. failed to do so by having the uniforms (and quite possibly the flag itself) made in China


Surely nothing represents America better than exploiting free market capitalism to get adequate items made at the cheapest price? [/snark]

To be honest I don't really understand the controversy. Isn't the point of the Olympics to put aside petty nationalist squabbling and come together as a world community?
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Diadem » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:26 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:I know a lot of people on the Interwebz are ticked that the Doctor made no appearance whatsoever. I think it would have been perfect for him to have been in the whole boy-meets-girl thing, escorting one and then another through the different decades.

I agree. I was very disappointing he didn't appear at all. They included so many other cultural icons that, to me personally at least, are far less interesting.

It would have been hilarious to have Tennant run into the stadium, halfway the ceremony at some 'random' moment, carrying a torch, only to be escorted out by security. Something like that ;)
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

Congratulations to Lizzie Armitstead, for Team GB's first (silver) medal of the games.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Mambrino
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:45 pm UTC
Location: No we don't have polar bears. Except in zoos.

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Mambrino » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:42 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:I know a lot of people on the Interwebz are ticked that the Doctor made no appearance whatsoever. I think it would have been perfect for him to have been in the whole boy-meets-girl thing, escorting one and then another through the different decades.

I agree. I was very disappointing he didn't appear at all. They included so many other cultural icons that, to me personally at least, are far less interesting.

It would have been hilarious to have Tennant run into the stadium, halfway the ceremony at some 'random' moment, carrying a torch, only to be escorted out by security. Something like that ;)


I think I heard the Tardis sound when they played Bohemian Rhapsody?

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7459
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Zamfir » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:11 pm UTC

True

Carnildo
Posts: 2023
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:43 am UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Carnildo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:23 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:Now I'm just having problems picking which sport to watch on TV every day!


Lucky you. As a resident of the Land of the Human-Interest Story, I haven't even bothered to set up my television. Reportedly, NBC is showing even more interviews, profiles, and whatnot, and even fewer sports events than ever before.

User avatar
charliepanayi
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 pm UTC
Location: London, UK

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:57 pm UTC

So there's one football tournament where Spain are mortal anyway, out after two games!
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby felltir » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:25 am UTC

I'm from London, and I fucking hate these Olympic games.

I have friends doing TKD in the Olympics, so I will be watching, and the person I'm dating has a few she wants to watch, but FFS. This games has had the "rights" of brands pushed over the rights of people. Brand restriction zones, pre-emptive arrests. That kind of thing.

On friday evening 182 bicycle riders from critical mass were arrested for even trying to get close to the Olympics. The police closed multiple bridges, shut off huge areas of public concourse. Here is the police response level, in video form. People were shoved about, CS gassed, and knocked off bikes. All in all, it was sickening to know that a short walk from where I saw people who had done nothing more than cycle being kettled and outnumbered more than 3 to 1 with police, a celebration of suffragettes and the like was going on. The right to protest doesn't go away because the government wants to throw a party.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
dubsola
Posts: 2282
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:55 am UTC
Location: Sunny Snakeville

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby dubsola » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:19 am UTC

Kain wrote:


Wow, the comments on that article were inane. I don't know which irritated me more, the antisemitic yet somehow liberal commentator or the conservative islamophobe he was arguing with.
That said, I do want to hear why NBC held the interview (my guess would be that they figured that we just don't care about the 7/7 attacks, which sadly is probably accurate to a meaningful extent).

I too would like to hear more about this.

I really liked the opening ceremony.

PatrickRsGhost wrote:The only subtle tribute was the forging of the ring during the Industrial Revolution scene.

How was that subtle?

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby BlackSails » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:55 am UTC

felltir wrote: outnumbered more than 3 to 1 with police,


You make it sound like the police are supposed to offer fair fights

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Steax » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:33 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure using moderation in an arrest can lead to fewer accidental injuries or fighting, as well as having a lower chance of triggering violent responses from the arrested. It's didn't even sound like they were a threat to the policemen. Of course, it's fine to have police to an extent, but... 3 to 1?

Anyway, is there any place to re-watch the opening?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
ElWanderer
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby ElWanderer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:17 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:The only subtle tribute [to the Lord of the Rings/Tolkein] was the forging of the ring during the Industrial Revolution scene.

How was that subtle?

Agreed! The whole green-and-pleasant-land becoming an industrial wasteland section was quite Tolkeinesque, largely as industrialisation was itself a big influence on Tolkein ("The country in which I lived in childhood was being shabbily destroyed before I was ten"). That they then forged a giant, golden ring seemed pretty explicit to me - I think I tweeted* at that point, wondering aloud when Gandalf would turn up. Instead we got He Who Shall Not Be Named!

I was at the roadside for both cycling road races - excellent atmosphere and great fun, even if the result on Saturday wasn't what we'd hoped for, and the weather on Sunday was rather unpleasant at times.

* Disclaimer: should you'll go to the rather needless effort of looking up my tweets, you'll find I somewhat mis-used the phrase "scouring of the shire" in my excitement.
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

User avatar
charliepanayi
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 pm UTC
Location: London, UK

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

felltir wrote:I'm from London, and I fucking hate these Olympic games.

I have friends doing TKD in the Olympics, so I will be watching, and the person I'm dating has a few she wants to watch, but FFS. This games has had the "rights" of brands pushed over the rights of people. Brand restriction zones, pre-emptive arrests. That kind of thing.

On friday evening 182 bicycle riders from critical mass were arrested for even trying to get close to the Olympics. The police closed multiple bridges, shut off huge areas of public concourse. Here is the police response level, in video form. People were shoved about, CS gassed, and knocked off bikes. All in all, it was sickening to know that a short walk from where I saw people who had done nothing more than cycle being kettled and outnumbered more than 3 to 1 with police, a celebration of suffragettes and the like was going on. The right to protest doesn't go away because the government wants to throw a party.


The commercialism and stuff like this is all very unsavoury (not to mention the empty seats). But I still love the Olympics, or at least the sporting aspect of it, they offer so many great moments even with all this crap. I do say that as an incorrigible sports fan though.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Posts: 3685
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:12 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Dark567 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:15 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:
yurell wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:Usually, when representing a country in an international event such as the Olympic Games, especially when said event is to take place on foreign soil, you'd want to exhibit a bit of that country's pride. The U.S. failed to do so by having the uniforms (and quite possibly the flag itself) made in China


Surely nothing represents America better than exploiting free market capitalism to get adequate items made at the cheapest price? [/snark]

To be honest I don't really understand the controversy. Isn't the point of the Olympics to put aside petty nationalist squabbling and come together as a world community?
And let's be honest, there is nothing more American than buying clothes made in China.... Seriously economic nationalism is bad. :-/
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.


Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

User avatar
charliepanayi
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 pm UTC
Location: London, UK

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:04 pm UTC

A very pleasant surprise - bronze for Great Britain in the gymnastics :D
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

User avatar
Negated
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:31 am UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Negated » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:56 pm UTC

I could not watch the event live. From what I can gather, team GB was close to a silver in gymnastics, but an appeal from Japan saw them jumping from fourth to second place. Nevertheless this is a truly great result for GB. Congrats.

User avatar
charliepanayi
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 pm UTC
Location: London, UK

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:30 pm UTC

Shame it was followed by various Twitter idiots making rather racist comments about Japan.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:56 pm UTC

Despite it being their efforts that displaced the GB synchronised diving team from the medal podium, I did enjoy watching the bravery and skill of the Mexican divers going for difficult dives in the final.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
PatrickRsGhost
Posts: 2278
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:43 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9PluralZAlpha
Contact:

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:34 am UTC

charliepanayi wrote:
felltir wrote:I'm from London, and I fucking hate these Olympic games.

I have friends doing TKD in the Olympics, so I will be watching, and the person I'm dating has a few she wants to watch, but FFS. This games has had the "rights" of brands pushed over the rights of people. Brand restriction zones, pre-emptive arrests. That kind of thing.

On friday evening 182 bicycle riders from critical mass were arrested for even trying to get close to the Olympics. The police closed multiple bridges, shut off huge areas of public concourse. Here is the police response level, in video form. People were shoved about, CS gassed, and knocked off bikes. All in all, it was sickening to know that a short walk from where I saw people who had done nothing more than cycle being kettled and outnumbered more than 3 to 1 with police, a celebration of suffragettes and the like was going on. The right to protest doesn't go away because the government wants to throw a party.


The commercialism and stuff like this is all very unsavoury (not to mention the empty seats). But I still love the Olympics, or at least the sporting aspect of it, they offer so many great moments even with all this crap. I do say that as an incorrigible sports fan though.


I'm sure it's fucked traffic up for miles. Probably can't go down your usual routes, or if you take public transit, probably been rerouted and rescheduled.

How much does it cost now to ride the bus? Take a taxi? How much does it normally cost?

How many street vendors have you encountered? Any of them very pushy? Trying to sell knock-offs or cheaply-made crap souvenirs? Wanna buy a Velcro wallet? A headband you can fill with water and stick in the freezer? A cup that's not dishwasher safe? Or maybe a coffee cup that can only handle lukewarm coffee, at the most? How about a T-shirt that says "XXXL" on the tag, but turns out to be a Medium?

We encountered these problems when the Olympics came to Atlanta back in 1996. A lot of roads had been closed off. Local public transit jacked rates up 300%. Taxicab companies did likewise. As did public parking areas. Some people never made it to work on time during the two weeks the Olympics were in town. Some just said "fuck this shit" and took the entire two weeks off, with or without pay.

Street vendors accosted you everywhere you turned. It was hard to try to go see an event, and not be approached by one of the most sleaziest, filthiest, fast-talkingest, scammiest sellers.

I worked at Pizza Hut at the time, and never had we been any busier. The city I lived and worked in, Conyers, Georgia, played host to a lot of the equestrian events. A lot of the athletes stayed in either local hotels, or an apartment complex that was just seconds away from the Georgia International Horse Park, where the equestrian events were to be held. It was always fun, trying to decipher foreign accents trying to pronounce English words or phrases.

If I worked there now, and we were hosting the Olympics today, I would probably be asking them where they were from, and if I recognized the country and knew someone here or in another message board as being from the same country, then I'd ask them what part. If they said the same part as someone I know, I'd simply say I know someone on the Internet from that same area.

While we were extra-busy, working during the Olympics did have its benefits. First of all, I received two free tickets to a baseball event, USA vs. Japan. I took a friend of mine, whose grandmother lived just two blocks away from the Atlanta Fulton County Stadium (baseball stadium before Turner Field). Second, everyone who worked through the entire two weeks (even if they took time off to go to an event, like I did) received a $100 bonus.

I still have the ticket stub:

Image
PRG

An important message for you:

010000100110010100100000011100110
111010101110010011001010010000001
110100011011110010000001100101011
000010111010000100000011110010110
111101110101011100100010000001100
010011000010110001101101111011011
1000101110

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:01 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:was the whole Frank and Jen (or whatever the hell their names were supposed to be) storyline about a boy meeting a girl, and the British music through the decades. True, you heard some awesome tunes, but still. It seemed to drag on.

Yeah, watching that with another of my friends who teaches creative writing and we kept commenting on just how amazingly awful the plot line and writing was on that. Which I think was then punctuated slightly later by the commentator from NBC pronouncing it as "another thing I don't understand." They could have certainly done a hell of a lot better with that segment.

User avatar
folkhero
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby folkhero » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:41 am UTC

Negated wrote:I could not watch the event live. From what I can gather, team GB was close to a silver in gymnastics, but an appeal from Japan saw them jumping from fourth to second place. Nevertheless this is a truly great result for GB. Congrats.

The question was whether the Japanese gymnast fell off the pommel horse before completely the handstand (which is a huge deduction) or if he completed a really shoddy handstand before falling off (which is a large deduction, but not as disastrous). The initial ruling was that he didn't do the handstand but it was appealed and changed. At least that's what I got from watching. Congrats to the UK men, but it was hard watching the US men struggle so much. I am pissed that NBC didn't show a single rings routine; rings are my favorite.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

User avatar
dubsola
Posts: 2282
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:55 am UTC
Location: Sunny Snakeville

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby dubsola » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:02 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:I'm sure it's fucked traffic up for miles. Probably can't go down your usual routes, or if you take public transit, probably been rerouted and rescheduled.

How much does it cost now to ride the bus? Take a taxi? How much does it normally cost?

How many street vendors have you encountered? Any of them very pushy? Trying to sell knock-offs or cheaply-made crap souvenirs? Wanna buy a Velcro wallet? A headband you can fill with water and stick in the freezer? A cup that's not dishwasher safe? Or maybe a coffee cup that can only handle lukewarm coffee, at the most? How about a T-shirt that says "XXXL" on the tag, but turns out to be a Medium?

We encountered these problems when the Olympics came to Atlanta back in 1996. A lot of roads had been closed off. Local public transit jacked rates up 300%. Taxicab companies did likewise. As did public parking areas. Some people never made it to work on time during the two weeks the Olympics were in town. Some just said "fuck this shit" and took the entire two weeks off, with or without pay.

Street vendors accosted you everywhere you turned. It was hard to try to go see an event, and not be approached by one of the most sleaziest, filthiest, fast-talkingest, scammiest sellers.

I cycle from south to central London each day, and the roads have been no busier than usual. I expect this might change as we get closer to the 'big' events.

None of the public transport prices have changed, that's not the way we do things here in socialist England. In fact all Olympic tickets come with a free day pass for all public transport. I saved about £8 on the day I had tickets to see the archery. In terms of how crowded the public transport is, it's hard to tell - it's always pretty busy, especially during commuting hours. Nobody at my work has had insurmountable trouble, so far.

I couldn't say too much about the street vendors as I've not been to the Olympic site yet, but I haven't noticed any in central London, but normally there are always people begging or touting. It's that kind of place. But at the moment it seems to be quieter - I think the police have been moving them on.

User avatar
charliepanayi
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 pm UTC
Location: London, UK

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:57 am UTC

I'm very lucky in terms of commuting to/from work in London. I take the bus, and it's not a long journey and it pretty much avoids any hotspots. If the worst comes to the worst I can walk to/from work in three quarters of an hour.

As mentioned public transport costs remain the same here. They're high enough as it is!
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: London Olympics 2012

Postby felltir » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:12 am UTC

All the journeys I do go through Waterloo, which is a MAJOR Olympic hotspot. All the buses round here have been re-routed, too.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests