Actual (Association) Football Talk.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Re: Actual (Association) Football Talk.

Postby ahammel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:33 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:I wouldn't say Brazil are in 'deep trouble', they're still made of stern stuff

About that...

I'm at work and can't watch. What in the Sam Hell is going on?
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:38 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:I wouldn't say Brazil are in 'deep trouble', they're still made of stern stuff

About that...

I'm at work and can't watch. What in the Sam Hell is going on?

Hey, I don't think anyone saw this coming! I can at least be content that I predicted an Argentina v Germany final at the start of the World Cup, so I'm halfway there!
Last edited by charliepanayi on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:43 pm UTC

5-0 at this point? what is this, baseball?
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

roband

Postby roband » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:02 pm UTC

This is awesome.

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:06 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:5-0 at this point? what is this, baseball?

Table football.

gnutrino

Postby gnutrino » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:19 pm UTC

Well I thnk we all knew that Brazil would struggle without Thiago Silva and Neymar but I can honestly say I did not see that coming...

EDIT: I bet the Brazil squad will be cheering on Argentina in the next semi-final - a loss to their old enemy in the 3rd place playoff would well and truly bury them
Last edited by gnutrino on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:23 pm UTC

This game set all sorts of records. Biggest goal differential in a semifinal game, doubled Brazils biggest World Cup loss, fastest four goals, and a bunch of others. Just a complete routing.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:24 pm UTC

Germany played very well, but Brazil played absolutely appalling. Their defense... just didn't exist. Several times there were 2-3 German players completely free in the 16m area. That's just shouldn't happen.

Honestly it's a miracle it ended with only a 7-1 defeat.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:25 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:This game set all sorts of records. Biggest goal differential in a semifinal game, doubled Brazils biggest World Cup loss, fastest four goals, and a bunch of others. Just a complete routing.

Don't forget Klose's record 16th world cup goal.
He/Him/His/Alex

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:29 pm UTC

Brazil's final goal must also have been the least celebrated goal ever. He scored, and just picked up the ball and walked to the midfield. Says it all.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:25 pm UTC

gnutrino wrote:Well I thnk we all knew that Brazil would struggle without Thiago Silva and Neymar but I can honestly say I did not see that coming...

EDIT: I bet the Brazil squad will be cheering on Argentina in the next semi-final - a loss to their old enemy in the 3rd place playoff would well and truly bury them

I don't know. If they play against Argentina, they will have a good chance of making a good exit. It will be easier for Scolari to get them up again, I believe. He is vey good at motivating his teams, and a match against Argentina would be perfect for it.

On the match: it was an ubelievable eveny. Brazil just... crumbled after the second goal. Germany's performance was perfect, and strengthened my perception that their squad is the most tactically disciplined in the World Cup.

Congrats to Klose, 16 goals across four World Cups is an amazing feat.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:39 pm UTC

Germany played outstanding, but let's all admit that Brazil hadn't displayed good football throughout the tournament and even though admittedly they faced good teams in Chile and Colombia, they were not up to the task.

Good on Klose for scoring, but shame that Ronaldo lost his record. Klose gets points for long lasting, but damn, Ronaldo in his prime was just phenomenal.

I still think the Dutch make the final. Yes, at times it seems it's only Robben and 10 guys, but they have what it takes to go all the way. I would hate Argentina winning it all because they have had it so easy, plus what a way to win its first World Cup it would be for the Netherlands. Humiliate Spain and avenge the loss of 2010, defeat Argentina and avenge the final of 1978 and defeat Germany to avenge the final of 1974 (and against your bitter rivals no less!). HUP HOLLAND HUP!!!!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:11 am UTC

I just hope that the Brazilian players don't get beaten up by any fans.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:50 am UTC

Well there were no own goals so hopefully noone will get assassinated...

Serioisly, at one point the people I was watching the game with, we all got horrible flashbacks to 94 and started being afraid for the Brazillian players.

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:20 am UTC

The sports commentators mentioned sometime after the 5-0 that things were already being set on fire in the cities, so I guess you don't exactly want to be there right now.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:36 am UTC

Wonderbolt wrote:The sports commentators mentioned sometime after the 5-0 that things were already being set on fire in the cities, so I guess you don't exactly want to be there right now.

I've just read about this fire incidents, and while it definetly sucks in a lot of ways, it is not a "stay at home for your own safety" situation. Yes, it is completly absurd people would do such things over football, but these are a bunch of criminals, and they do not represent the general feeling around here.

Unfortunatly, as usual in Brazil, these incidents will go mostly unpunished.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:16 am UTC

I understood from the news that it was mostly people setting fire to Brazilian flags and football shirts. No large scale riots. I hope that's true.

I think what happened with Brazil is they just crumbled under the pressure. There's always a lot of pressure on top athletes, but on none more than football players. There's literally riots if you make a mistake. There's literally tends of millions of people passionately loving or hating you depending on what you do. There's literally a significant fraction every human being on the planet watching you. That is a lot of pressure.

Brasil wasn't as good as Germany for the first 20 minutes, but they weren't getting completely demolished. But after the 2nd goal they collapsed, the players must have realized that their situation was now pretty much hopeless. It takes a few minutes to recover from that. So they were like rabbits caught in the headlights of an oncoming car, unable to move while things rapidly got worse.

They significantly improved in the second half, and actually gave Germany a good run for their money. But by then it was of course way too late.

leady

Postby leady » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:59 pm UTC

That should never happen to an international quality side though - pub teams collapse like that.

Luiz will be having nightmares - as Captain and centre back its his sole job to stablise and not go crazy in those scenarios. At two, Germany will still be a little hesitant, at three / four you are literally playing a team with no fear or mercy...

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:They significantly improved in the second half, and actually gave Germany a good run for their money. But by then it was of course way too late.

Not really. They had more chances in the second half, because they were playing basically 9 forwards. Which is why Germany scored twice more, and could have had 2-3 more if they really pushed, but there was no need.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:34 pm UTC

This is fairly pitiful stuff at the moment. Thank god for last night and a few crazy extra times, otherwise these knockout stages would have been a total damp squib.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:57 pm UTC

Not pitiful. Just boring. Both teams play very defensively.

Oh and the referee is terrible. He keeps pulling yellow cards for no reason at all.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:55 pm UTC

:(

Ah well. It was a good run.

Germany to thrash Argentina in the final.
He/Him/His/Alex

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:01 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Not pitiful. Just boring. Both teams play very defensively.

Oh and the referee is terrible. He keeps pulling yellow cards for no reason at all.

There were only three yellow cards in the whole game.

My final prediction came true! May as well stick to my original prediction and say Argentina will win the final.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:05 pm UTC

I have accepted the fact that I will die without seeing the Netherlands win a World Cup.

Negated

Postby Negated » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:59 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Not pitiful. Just boring. Both teams play very defensively.

There could have been more yellows. The refs at WC are clearly instructed to hand out as few cards as possible.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:42 am UTC

Can we please make it a rule that any sports journalist caught describing the Germans as "cool" and "clinical" and "efficient" will be shot without trial?
He/Him/His/Alex

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:09 am UTC

ahammel wrote:Can we please make it a rule that any sports journalist caught describing the Germans as "cool" and "clinical" and "efficient" will be shot without trial?

This is another one of those things where people complaining about it has gotten more annoying than it happening.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:24 pm UTC

He/Him/His/Alex

roband

Postby roband » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:12 am UTC

Glad it's sorted.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:40 pm UTC

What the hell is the referee doing? He gives a penalty for a foul outside the 16. But a foul on a player that was passed on defenders which should be automatic red. Hugely weir decision. Brazil also made two huges and very obvious dives which were rewarded by the referee. I'm probably even forgetting a few errors already. What the hell is he doing?

And while I am typing this Kuyt gets an elbow in the head, missed by the referee. I guess all that blood on Kuyts head appeared spontaneously.

[edit]He doesn't seem to be favouring any particular side. On the one hand he completely ignores any foul on Robben no matter how serious. But on the other hand he doesn't give Brazil a penalty just now, which is perhaps defensible, but a yellow card for the Brazilian guy is a bit over the top. And Kuyt made a huge foul just near the end of the 1st half which didn't get a card.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:29 pm UTC

Do you think PSG can give Chelsea another £50 million to take David Luiz back?
He/Him/His/Alex

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:51 am UTC

Great sendoff for Van Gaal and most of the Dutch veterans who sadly we won't be seeing in the next World Cup. They say sequels are never good but Van Gaal did the best he could and while no one wants to play the third place match, they're still the 3rd best team of 32!

I feel like where the Dutch association goes wrong is that they don't try to stick to one method and build from it. What I mean is, look at Germany. Low was assistant manager to Klinsmann in 2006 I believe, and they reached 3rd place. Low became manager, continuing the work done by Klinsmann, and in 2010 they got 3rd place again and tomorrow they might win. In that same time period, we've had Van Basten, van Marwijk, Van Gaal and now Hiddink, who is only staying until 2016 I believe. And you can bet Hiddink's gonna bring his own stuff to the team (that's neither good nor bad, time will tell). And whoever comes after Hiddink will start his own process. Stick to one manager, build a team. They've got a lot of good young players, the team just needs some stability.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:39 pm UTC

I agree that it would bring more continuity, which might be good. But it's hard to keep those top coaches for a long time. I think salaries for national team managers are significantly lower than club managers, so yeah. For players this is not a problem since they can play for both a club and the national side. But you can't do that as a coach.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:32 pm UTC

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOETZE!
He/Him/His/Alex

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:43 pm UTC

As usual, not a great final (although the first half was good), but great goal to win it, and best team in the tournament won it. Well done Germany!

Only 698 days until Euro 2016...

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:00 pm UTC

Well done Germany! Entirely deserved. The game was mostly boring but yeah, a great goal.

And Messi got the golden ball (for best player)? Seriously? The guy was almost completely invisible this entire tournament. He scored like 1 important goal, yeah, but both the semi final and the final were huge no-shows for him. Sure he's the best player in the world, but this particular tournament there were 2 dozen better players, at least.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:06 pm UTC

Messi winning Golden Ball is ridiculous, at the very least give it to Rodriguez (who had the consolation of the Golden Boot) or Muller.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:08 pm UTC

Giving the Golden Ball to Messi is ridiculous. I'm glad James Rodriguez won the Golden Boot, though. He deserves to take something home.

Schweinsteiger looks like he's about to fall over.
He/Him/His/Alex

Negated

Postby Negated » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:20 am UTC

I am glad that Germany won it in the end. The final was very even and decided by the smallest margin. But over the entire tournament Germany was the best team of all.

Lahm, Boateng, Hummels, Schweinsteiger all had an amazing game. I don't think Schweinsteiger can move for the next 2 days after all the kicks and punches he received.

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:14 am UTC

Diadem wrote:And Messi got the golden ball (for best player)? Seriously? The guy was almost completely invisible this entire tournament. He scored like 1 important goal, yeah, but both the semi final and the final were huge no-shows for him. Sure he's the best player in the world, but this particular tournament there were 2 dozen better players, at least.

Here we speculated if his quite ...apathetic(?) attitude towards the prize was him being "wtf Blatter this doesn't belong to me", or was it 'just' that they lost the Wolrd Cup final a moment ago.

Return to “News & Articles”