Scientists Create Reptile-Snouted Chicken

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Sockmonkey

Re: Scientists Create Reptile-Snouted Chicken

Postby Sockmonkey » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:05 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:
Spoiler:
Technical Ben wrote:A single gene? Are they certain?

A single part of my computer is responsible for it functioning... It's called the fuse. The fuse being disabled does not provide proof the fuse has the mechanics that produce the rest of the working mechanism. The entire instruction set for the teeth could be separate for the toggle "on/off" of that instruction set. Finding the on/off switch is not the same as finding the instructions for production. Once they find those, then I'll be interested.

[edit]
Seems most here agree. :)
Do we not have examples of animals re-activating disabled genes already?

Your computer is not comparable to an organism except by the loosest analogies and in certain specific scenarios.

Is this one of them?
We are talking about genetic "switches" here. Not genetic "transcription" or "translation" is it?
So I could use any example of a switch. We know how switches work. Getting the new information there is the interesting part.

Thesh wrote:Genes are large databases containing flags, using a language similar to SQL, but all the keywords are latin. Basically they updated one row in the database and changed beak to reptile snout.

Hey. Thanks, even better than "turned it on" example that I used. :)

Ah, sorry. Misread part of your post.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

That's Ok, I could have been totally wrong as you said. I don't know the full details of the article or experiments. Or genetics for that matter... :oops:
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:10 am UTC

Technical Ben wrote:That's Ok, I could have been totally wrong as you said. I don't know the full details of the article or experiments. Or genetics for that matter... :oops:

I know, lets just agree that we both have good points, are handsome, and should get five bucks from everyone. :mrgreen:

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

Is there a picture of this thing anywhere?

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 pm UTC

Levi wrote:Is there a picture of this thing anywhere?

Ethical regulations prevent the eggs from being hatched
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

Booooooo. Fuck ethics, I want a dinosaur chicken!

big boss

Postby big boss » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:19 am UTC

So we can't hatch a raptor chicken, but scientists can inject chickens (or mice more often so) with deadly diseases... Does the ethics issue revolve around undue suffering to the animal or something else?
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:39 am UTC

The undue bit is the important part. The deadly diseases stuff is almost always about studying the disease in controlled and highly monitored conditions. What purpose would hatching these chicks serve?
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:36 am UTC

Kulantan wrote:The undue bit is the important part. The deadly diseases stuff is almost always about studying the disease in controlled and highly monitored conditions. What purpose would hatching these chicks serve?

To see if the modification actually did what they thought it would? To examine in detail the changes, and perhaps learn something about how the genetics function in the process? To see how well the chick does in adapting to this modification, to see if the brain is malleable enough to make use of such changes, or if there had been other genetic changes in the past that had been made in the process of acquiring a beak to alter brain structure or behavior, to properly make use of it?

There's quite a variety of reasons to do so, in addition to just looking cool and wanting to see it. :) And there aren't really any obvious ethical problems that I can see, it doesn't seem like the chick would really be any worse off than an unmodified chick in a lab would be.

Falling

Postby Falling » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

As cool as this is, I'm really not keen on the idea of fucking with animals like this. Also the quote: "If scientists are able to turn the process around and speed up evolution, they could create species better adapted to the changing planet. " Wow, damn you crappy science journalists.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:55 am UTC

Dauric wrote:
IcedT wrote:EDIT: Also, this raises the important question of whether or not dinosaurs were delicious.
Probably similar to alligator meat
I'm not sure why that would be true. Dinosaurs are more closely related to birds than to alligators, and more to the point, meat from different birds can taste vastly different. So wondering if dinosaur meat was delicious seems kinda like wondering if mammal meat is delicious.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:54 am UTC

Each species probably has a unique flavor that can only be brought out by special preparation and the finest blend of 11 herbs and spices. Now only $9.99 at KFC; Kentucky Fried Cretaceous.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:04 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Dauric wrote:
IcedT wrote:EDIT: Also, this raises the important question of whether or not dinosaurs were delicious.
I'm not sure why that would be true. Dinosaurs are more closely related to birds than to alligators, and more to the point, meat from different birds can taste vastly different. So wondering if dinosaur meat was delicious seems kinda like wondering if mammal meat is delicious.

This is why god gave us barbecue sauce. It makes all crimes against nature nummy.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Dauric wrote:

This is why god gave us barbecue sauce deep frying. It makes all crimes against nature nummy.

FTFY. Everything is good deep fried. At the county fair last year, they had deep fried candy bars, various deep fried meat, deep fried soda, and even deep fried butter.
Spoiler:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:40 pm UTC

Ours had deep fried cheese. (onna stick.)
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:49 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Ours had deep fried cheese. (onna stick.)

Same here. Everything is onna stick.
Spoiler:

Return to “News & Articles”