June 8th, 2011 is World IPv6 Testing Day

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

velcro2

June 8th, 2011 is World IPv6 Testing Day

Postby velcro2 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:53 am UTC

On Wednesday, a number of large websites from around the Internet joined the Internet Society to announce World IPv6 day, a 24-hour test period where all the agreed websites will enable the IPv6 protocol alongside the typical IPv4 for the day to test compatability.

On June 8, 2011, Google, Facebook, Yahoo!, Akamai, Limelight and other websites will join Internet Society in making the first major "test flight" to IPv6. With over a billion combined hits between the websites, these websites will be testing their infrastructure to ensure that they can handle the switch. During World IPv6 day, experts predict that only 0.05% of the Internet users will have trouble connecting to these websites due to misconfigured or misbehaving home network devices.

http://www.neowin.net/news/world-ipv6-day-google-facebook-and-others-testing-for-24-hours

Akamai's participation makes me think that this time they really mean business. Any thoughts?
Last edited by velcro2 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Diadem

Re: June 8th, 2011 is World IPv6 Testing Day

Postby Diadem » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:04 am UTC

Considering the IPv4 addresses are going to run out within a year... It's high time they started testing.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:35 am UTC

I'm not exactly sure what they intend to be doing. Google (ipv6.google.com) and facebook (v6.facebook.com), at least, already offer IPv6 access, and have done so for some time. Limelight does as well, although I don't know the URL offhand. Even Akamai should have some IPv6 presence by now - I can't find recent data, but they were projecting to have a few dozen sites fully IPv6 capable by the end of 2010. Given that the public adoption of IPv6 is still way, way, way below 99.95% I don't think they mean to simply turn of IPv4 support for a day, either (which I guess is what the article says, isn't it?)

So if everyone involved already has functional dual stacks, and they are planning to "enable the IPv6 protocol alongside the typical IPv4" - what exactly are they doing that they don't already?
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:44 am UTC

Maybe they mean that http://www.google.com will resolve to an IPv6 address (maybe in addition to an IPv4 fallback, maybe exclusively just for the day, I don't know, this is just a guess) instead of having to go to the special ipv6.etc address?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:46 am UTC

That would be my guess. Full live test, all addresses entered assumed to point to the v6 version. See what breaks. Could be fun. :shock:
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
- Anais Nin, writer (21 Feb 1903-1977)

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:00 am UTC

Seeing what breaks is, quite honestly, the best part of testing.

...Okay, maybe not if you're the world's largest websites and you're testing on a customer base of several hundred million. Usually, though.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:07 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:Seeing what breaks is, quite honestly, the best part of testing.

...Okay, maybe not if you're the world's largest websites and you're testing on a customer base of several hundred million. Usually, though.

In either case though, it's really the whole point of testing.

Maurog

Postby Maurog » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:40 am UTC

So, is there any way to calculate how fast we will run out of IPv6 addresses?

What is the approximate exponent multiplier for IP address demand increase, per year?
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:59 am UTC

Maurog wrote:So, is there any way to calculate how fast we will run out of IPv6 addresses?

What is the approximate exponent multiplier for IP address demand increase, per year?

Its not likely in the foreseeable future. Since IPv6 is 128-bit, we have 2^128 addresses, or:

To quote Ars Technica: To put this into perspective: there are currently 130 million people born each year. If this number of births remains the same until the sun goes dark in 5 billion years, and all of these people live to be 72 years old, they can all have 53 times the address space of the IPv4 Internet for every second of their lives.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:03 am UTC

nyeguy wrote:
Maurog wrote:So, is there any way to calculate how fast we will run out of IPv6 addresses?

Its not likely in the foreseeable future. Since IPv6 is 128-bit, we have 2^128 addresses, or:

To quote Ars Technica: To put this into perspective: there are currently 130 million people born each year. If this number of births remains the same until the sun goes dark in 5 billion years, and all of these people live to be 72 years old, they can all have 53 times the address space of the IPv4 Internet for every second of their lives.

I think that is underestimating it abit, assuming that humanity lasts until the sun goes dark, I would daresay that we would have colonised more than just Earth in that time.

But yes, your point is made, plenty of IP addresses for everyone!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:12 pm UTC

I tried to access that IPv6 addresses for FB and Google and I got non-existant host errors. I will assume beyond shitty school internet until I get to a hotel or back in the States based on my prior experiences with this network
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:
nyeguy wrote:Its not likely in the foreseeable future. Since IPv6 is 128-bit, we have 2^128 addresses, or:

I think that is underestimating it abit, assuming that humanity lasts until the sun goes dark, I would daresay that we would have colonised more than just Earth in that time.

But yes, your point is made, plenty of IP addresses for everyone!

Mis-Attributed to Bill Gates wrote:640K ought to be enough for anybody.

"Plenty of IP Addresses for everybody" will be the line of thought until someone finds a marvelous way to use more than one address at a time for some technological innovation we have yet to imagine. Or with so many available IP addresses will be assigned in some (at the time) apparently rational means that has some inefficiencies will be instituted by an international standards board and down the road those inefficiencies will chew up more addresses than expected but be too ingrained in the system to effectively change.

Corollary to Murphy's Law wrote:Any project will expand to fill all available space regardless of the complexity of the project, or the amount of available space.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

I have IPv6 installed on windows xp, but I can't access IPv6 websites. Looks like my router, which is a modem/router provided by my ISP doesn't support IPv6.

Considering IPv6 isn't installed by default on XP, and I suspect a lot of ISPs are not configured for people to use IPv6, I think we are still a long ways away from really supporting it.

Also, IP Address allocation is not the same as hardware limits for software. IP Address requirements are much more predictable.
The rage in their eyes, torches in their hands
And the power of the cross bringing fear to all the land
And darkness will come to us all.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:"Plenty of IP Addresses for everybody" will be the line of thought until someone finds a marvelous way to use more than one address at a time for some technological innovation we have yet to imagine. Or with so many available IP addresses will be assigned in some (at the time) apparently rational means that has some inefficiencies will be instituted by an international standards board and down the road those inefficiencies will chew up more addresses than expected but be too ingrained in the system to effectively change.
Perhaps, but for now a quadrillion addresses per star in the universe should suffice any reasonable projection.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I tried to access that IPv6 addresses for FB and Google and I got non-existant host errors. I will assume beyond shitty school internet until I get to a hotel or back in the States based on my prior experiences with this network
I get a DNS failure at work (I assume the corporate DNS doesn't like IPv6).

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:26 am UTC

I can't access the the Google IPv6 address either.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:03 am UTC

It seems that a lot of people are concerned about the ipv4 to ipv6 transition, but I haven't seen much in the way of practical information about how to tell whether you are ipv6 compatible and what to do about it if you aren't.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:06 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:It seems that a lot of people are concerned about the ipv4 to ipv6 transition, but I haven't seen much in the way of practical information about how to tell whether you are ipv6 compatible and what to do about it if you aren't.
You cry like a baby and hope your ISP is ready.

Incidentally, looks like my home connection doesn't work either, noooeeeez.

Charlemagne_

Postby Charlemagne_ » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:14 am UTC

Surprised they hadn't started testing already...

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:58 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:It seems that a lot of people are concerned about the ipv4 to ipv6 transition, but I haven't seen much in the way of practical information about how to tell whether you are ipv6 compatible and what to do about it if you aren't.
You cry like a baby and hope your ISP is ready.

Incidentally, looks like my home connection doesn't work either, noooeeeez.

Basically, yes. If you want to experiment, you can set up a tunnel to an IPv6 provider (he.net provides one at http://tunnelbroker.net/, and I know there are others), but it's going to be worse than your normal internet connection in most ways. These sites usually have guides on how to get things up and running, but it's kind of ugly. Until your ISP provides native IPv6 services, it's not really practical for home use, and even once they do lots of stuff still defaults to IPv4.

Even if you are running a dual stack (and so have both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity), it's still pretty ugly. You can either have DNS lookups default to v6 and fallback to v4 (generally failing and adding a noticeable delay), or have them default to v4 and fallback to v6 (which is pretty pointless if you want to actually use v6). OS X apparently has a long running problem with IPv6 DNS, although I suppose it might have been solved by now.

For anyone curious about why the whole thing is ugly, this Ars Technica article is pretty good.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

velcro2

Postby velcro2 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:01 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:It seems that a lot of people are concerned about the ipv4 to ipv6 transition, but I haven't seen much in the way of practical information about how to tell whether you are ipv6 compatible

http://test-ipv6.com/ will test your current network connection.

Your OS is compatible if you're using Linux, Vista, or Win7; WinXP can be made to work with some command-line voodoo. Apple claims Mac OS X is compatible but it's currently crippled by a nasty DNS bug. Routers are a much thornier issue, only a few offer extensive support in their native firmware, basically just the Apple AEBS/Time Capsule and D-Link DIR-615 and DIR-825. Some others don't have any explicit manual setup but will still autodetect and route IPv6 if it's available on the WAN port. With the rest you have to make do with third-party firmware, if available. http://www.sixxs.net/wiki/Routers has a good overview.

EdgarJPublius wrote:and what to do about it if you aren't.

http://www.sixxs.net/wiki/SixXS_Wiki is a good place to start. If your ISP doesn't support IPv6, you can still get it from a free tunnel-broker like HE.net or SixXS.

PhoenixEnigma wrote:OS X apparently has a long running problem with IPv6 DNS, although I suppose it might have been solved by now.

Nope, still FUBAR with no end in sight. :x

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:43 am UTC

A little off topic, but my Floppy-based router (running Linux 2.0.40) can't even foward tunneled IPv6 packets. It only supports about 4 IPv4 packet types: TCP, UDP. ICMP, and one other. (Yes, I know you can tunnel over UDP or TCP ... not as elegant.)

Newer versions of the kernel do not fit on a single floppy. I have an idea that may allow IPv6 on a floppy, but want to look into it more before discussing it. time is running out though.
Did you get the number on that truck?

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

velcro2 wrote:
PhoenixEnigma wrote:OS X apparently has a long running problem with IPv6 DNS, although I suppose it might have been solved by now.

There's a comment on that article that tears it apart. The author doesn't really know what he's talking about, and that shines through even if you don't (I couldn't tell what was wrong, but the article was badly written in a way that says there's technical problems). The problem is with 6to4, not with OS X - and it's by design because it's meant as a stopgap measure, not a way to get on v6. 6to4 is an awful system to use anyway - it gives you dual-stack, but it's almost always godawful slow because you can't control where your endpoint is and the route back can be even worse (because the same thing happens on v6).

The replacement for 6to4 is 6rd (rapid deployment), which uses the same tunneling protocol but instead of tunneling through whatever random 6to4 endpoint is anycast-closest to you, you set the other end of the tunnel to an IP provided by your ISP (Comcast has 6rd, I don't know if anyone else does) and you're on their v6 space so it's routed back the same way. Since the routing is more sensible (if you consider Comcast's routing sensible, which it is for the 90s) you can use it for full v6 access (and I think it's treated that way).
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

phillipsjk wrote:A little off topic, but my Floppy-based router (running Linux 2.0.40) can't even foward tunneled IPv6 packets. It only supports about 4 IPv4 packet types: TCP, UDP. ICMP, and one other. (Yes, I know you can tunnel over UDP or TCP ... not as elegant.)

Newer versions of the kernel do not fit on a single floppy. I have an idea that may allow IPv6 on a floppy, but want to look into it more before discussing it. time is running out though.

You could go for a burned-CD based router instead. :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

velcro2

Postby velcro2 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:
velcro2 wrote:

There's a comment on that article that tears it apart. The author doesn't really know what he's talking about, and that shines through even if you don't (I couldn't tell what was wrong, but the article was badly written in a way that says there's technical problems). The problem is with 6to4, not with OS X - and it's by design because it's meant as a stopgap measure, not a way to get on v6. 6to4 is an awful system to use anyway - it gives you dual-stack, but it's almost always godawful slow because you can't control where your endpoint is and the route back can be even worse (because the same thing happens on v6).

That covers the "breaking it some more" part, but the IPv6 DNS bug is a separate issue altogether, and it most definitely has not been fixed.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

phillipsjk wrote:A little off topic, but my Floppy-based router (running Linux 2.0.40) can't even foward tunneled IPv6 packets. It only supports about 4 IPv4 packet types: TCP, UDP. ICMP, and one other. (Yes, I know you can tunnel over UDP or TCP ... not as elegant.)

Add a HDSD card controller in place of the floppy controller, and use a 32gb HDSD card. Have a full linux distro :D

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

Why not just get a new router, doesn't anything that uses a floppy have to be ancient at this point?

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

Is there a way to write-protect HDSD cards? I mean, physically.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

velcro2

Postby velcro2 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

Interesting...these forums appear to be hosted by TowardEX.

Code: Select all

>tracert forums.xkcd.com

Tracing route to www.forums.xkcd.com [208.118.225.100]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
[ ... ]
 10    37 ms    36 ms    35 ms  xe-0-0-0.mpr4.bos2.us.above.net [64.125.25.62]
 11    37 ms    37 ms    37 ms  abovenet.ge2-1.ibr01.bos1.twdx.net [64.124.198.45]
 12    37 ms    37 ms    37 ms  xe-0-1-1.dcr01.bos1.twdx.net [216.93.255.162]
 13    37 ms    37 ms    36 ms  ip-208-118-225-100.twdx.net [208.118.225.100]

Trace complete.

TowardEX claims to be-
  • The first and the only hosting provider in New England to fully operate a dual-stacked native IPv4 + IPv6 network infrastructure. We're also the technical operator of OCCAID, a Tier-1 global IPv6 backbone founded to promote IPv6 access to carrier and educational sector industries, reaching three continents and over 100 cities worldwide.

Furthermore...
As a former 6bone IPv6 Testbed backbone operator and the managing partner of several large production-use IPv6 networks today, including the OCCAID backbone network, TowardEX is a pioneer in global IPv6 deployments. Our network experts understand the protocol by heart, and have experienced various evolutionary challenges and issues through the history of IPv6.

By partnering with TWDX inet6 RapidDeploy, you can prepare your business for the next-generation internet infrastructure. Our network experts can create custom engineering solutions and cost efficient network build recommendations to ensure smoothest support for IPv6 throughout your infrastructure, whilst ensuring complete compatibility with the existing IPv4 protocol.

Oh Randall...

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:57 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Why not just get a new router, doesn't anything that uses a floppy have to be ancient at this point?

My problem is that there has never been a complete floppy replacement, except possibly write-protected USB keys that are hard to find; and my old hardware won't boot. CD-ROMs have write protection, but are hard to modify (CD-Rs also degrade at CD drive operating temperatures). SD cards have write-protect tabs, but also include "copy protection" in the form of CPRM.

I do have newer hardware than my 486 with 24MB of RAM ready to go: an almost fanless P90 with 96MB of RAM, including 2 PCI slots. In a pinch, I even have a IDE to CF adapter and a 2GB CF card, so don't have to use a spinning disk. It just would be cool if I could still boot from a write-protected floppy.

I suppose one difficulty, is that a P90 may not be able to handle IPsec above 1Mbit/second.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:12 pm UTC

Well, I mean, I'm confused as to why write protection matters at all, and why you don't just buy an actual router (they're like, what, $20?)...

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:Is there a way to write-protect HDSD cards? I mean, physically.

Flick the switch?

stevey_frac

Postby stevey_frac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:22 am UTC

... perhaps this doesn't need to be said... but if you have an IPv4 IP address... and you are aiming at a site that has ipv4 capability (and almost all do). You are going to get the IPv4 site.

I enrolled in a beta to get a static IPv6 address with my ISP. And they allocated me a subnet. A subnet the size of the internet(v4). :D

I can hit all those sites on IPv6 no problem.

velcro2

Postby velcro2 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:38 am UTC

stevey_frac wrote:... perhaps this doesn't need to be said... but if you have an IPv4 IP address... and you are aiming at a site that has ipv4 capability (and almost all do). You are going to get the IPv4 site.

Actually, the default is supposed be IPv6 if both are available. This is what Firefox does, though IIRC Chrome does the opposite.
stevey_frac wrote:I enrolled in a beta to get a static IPv6 address with my ISP. And they allocated me a subnet. A subnet the size of the internet(v4). :D

They gypped you out of (232-1)/232 of your subnet allocation? You should demand a refund. :mrgreen:

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:34 am UTC

Xeio wrote:Well, I mean, I'm confused as to why write protection matters at all, and why you don't just buy an actual router (they're like, what, $20?)...

All modern computers are insecure; including $20 routers. When somebody turns my router into a zombie/attack relay, I want to be able to get it back without worrying the disk image may be contaminated. If I just reboot without patching, it can get attacked again, but no changes made by the attacker should survive.

Edit: I think I used to be more paranoid. Maybe I still am, but paranoid about different things.

Hmm> makes me think I should ask my ISP for the keys to my ADSL modem: who knows what it is doing.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:02 pm UTC

Yea, my modem is basically a router, though I just have it set up to use my linksys (with DD-WRT firmware) router as the actual router. And I already know Verizon has a backdoor on all their routers/modems because they changed the password on my parent's router because it was using "password" as the password (it was not setup to allow remote configuration, and the wireless was obviously passworded).

stevey_frac

Postby stevey_frac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:56 pm UTC

velcro2 wrote:They gypped you out of (232-1)/232 of your subnet allocation? You should demand a refund. :mrgreen:

Well, to be fair... enrollment in the IPv6 beta was free.

I expect that when they finally flip the switch and go full IPv6 all the time, and turn off all the dual stack crap, that a lot of older residential routers are going to break. All those WRT56GL's with stock firmware don't support IPv6 IIRC.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 pm UTC

The network portion of IPv6 addresses are 64 bit; as are the host portions. A /64 is the smallest allocation your ISP can give you. If you want to share with your neighbours, you should ask for a /56, then give each of them a /64 (or a /60).

Velcro2 should have written: "you got gypped out of 264-232 of your subnet allocation?"

Edit: On second thought, Velrco2 was probably going for a real number between 0..1; convertable to a percentage by multiplying by 100 (works out to 100.000%).

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

phillipsjk wrote:
Xeio wrote:Well, I mean, I'm confused as to why write protection matters at all, and why you don't just buy an actual router (they're like, what, $20?)...

All modern computers are insecure; including $20 routers. When somebody turns my router into a zombie/attack relay, I want to be able to get it back without worrying the disk image may be contaminated. If I just reboot without patching, it can get attacked again, but no changes made by the attacker should survive.

Edit: I think I used to be more paranoid. Maybe I still am, but paranoid about different things.

Hmm> makes me think I should ask my ISP for the keys to my ADSL modem: who knows what it is doing.

There are freeze disk software services available. I think it is called "deep freeze". Some sort of hardware switch could let you back up/write protect your system I am sure.

[Edit]
PS can we set up a sale of all the old IPv4 addresses when the migration is complete? Like they do with the old broadcast spectrum? :lol:
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:10 pm UTC

phillipsjk wrote:

It's not hard to flash a router, even a $20 one, just keep a back-up image somewhere handy.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:18 am UTC

I just ran the http://test-ipv6.com/ test (requires JavaScript, cross-site scripting) suggested by some of the commenters in the original article.

Apparently my IPv4 connection is not expected to choke on AAAA (IPv6) DNS records.

Edit: Javascript-free test (requires a graphical browser) http://test-ipv6.com/simple_test.html.

Return to “News & Articles”