Dell to offer Ubuntu 7.04, plus an interview

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Dell to offer Ubuntu 7.04, plus an interview

Postby warriorness » Tue May 01, 2007 8:52 pm UTC

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/ ... 13147.aspx

I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu, but I'd much rather an Ubuntu laptop than a Windows one, both for the price advantage and for the guarantee that drivers will be available for everything.

I just hope they sell the exact same models as Ubuntu and Windows laptops, so one can see the price difference. If they did that, I'm sure people would realize how much they're getting ripped off paying hundreds of dollars for a gigabyte or two of information.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Tue May 01, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6610901.stm

Currently the most emailed link on bbc. I've been very vocal about my relationship with ubuntu. Somehow I got drawn into a dist that is derived from it (Why, oh why!) (oh and Mepis if you want to know).

The best thing from this will be that the new users will be able to get better support since dell are helping them out with this one. Also there's been a lot of publicity now, they have to make it work.

Plus, dell aren't going to ship something that doesn't work (I hope). Configuration of everything is a pain in ubuntu. If you want an internet and office suite machine, you might never need to use super user privileges apart from upgrades.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

musicinmybrain

Re: Dell to offer Ubuntu 7.04, plus an interview

Postby musicinmybrain » Tue May 08, 2007 11:27 pm UTC

warriorness wrote:I just hope they sell the exact same models as Ubuntu and Windows laptops, so one can see the price difference. If they did that, I'm sure people would realize how much they're getting ripped off paying hundreds of dollars for a gigabyte or two of information.

Unfortunately, any discounts on Ubuntu computers are unlikely to reflect the "Microsoft tax" accurately, since the sponsored crapware that comes pre-installed on OEM Windows machines subsidizes much of the cost of the operating system.
+ + + + + + + + [ > + + + + [ > + + > + + + > + + + > + < < < < - ] > + > - > + > > + [ < ] < - ] > > . > > - - - . + + + + + + + . . + + + . > . < < - . > . + + + . - - - - - - . - - - - - - - - . > + . > + + .

Workaphobia

Postby Workaphobia » Wed May 09, 2007 1:04 am UTC

Funny, I installed Ubuntu on a friend's laptop yesterday. I've been hearing a lot of good things about it recently, and was a bit disappointed that it didn't live up to the hype, at least in the installation. There was essentially nothing you were able to configure, and the parts that we could were mislabelled - we ended up accidentally shrinking his NTFS partition down to 15 gig because the GUI was misleading and did not allow us to confirm the final changes. After that we fought with gnome's automounter, which for whatever reason decided it was a good idea to remount the sata drive whenever we attempted to commit partition table changes.

Other than those issues, it wasn't that bad, but I certainly wouldn't run it on my machines. And I certainly wouldn't purchase a pre-built computer and pay the Windows Tax.

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Wed May 09, 2007 1:19 am UTC

If these are cheaper then regardless of the fact that it's ubuntu they will sell better. People have warez cds of windows.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no

Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.

QED is Latin for small empty box.

Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

Jach

Postby Jach » Wed May 09, 2007 2:04 am UTC

Ubuntu really is the closest thing you'll get to Windows on Linux, hence I can see why they chose it. I still run it (though I plan on installing Gentoo this summer when I have all the time I need), and so far stuff that I've needed to configure has been configured. Albeit it took me a while to locate where the grub.conf file was (Ubuntu named it menu.lst for some reason), that's probably been one of my biggest issues.

Return to “News & Articles”