Webcomic Plagiarism

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Mercat

Webcomic Plagiarism

Postby Mercat » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:39 pm UTC

Hello, Xkcdians... all I have in common with each of you is that we read Xkcd. I would assume some or many of you read other webcomics as well, and I find great annoyance that a Mr. Todd Goldman ("artist" for the company who creates shirts such as the "boys are stupid, throw rocks at them" line) is ripping at least one webcomic artist off. (However, there are several other webcomics who appear to have been copied, and many other instances of, at the very least, blatant unoriginality, if not illegal copying.)

It's been requested that this news get spread all over to get people involved, so I'm hoping it can pick up some interest here. =)

A good summary is here, and as far as I can tell the most original and continuously updated source is here.

I know xkcdians are a very intelligent group (and it would seem, a great amount of integrity as well), and I hope there are some who are willing to follow this plagiarism. I have a great dislike for the act, so hopefully this catches someone's eye, and spreads the word.

Thank you for your time! =)

(If you'd like more sources, just ask! Though the SA link has most of the good stuff, if you're willing to wade through it.)

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:55 pm UTC

i hurd u liek mudkips???

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:03 am UTC

Yes, and....?

What do you want to happen out of this?

A boycott won't work. Eric Bauman is a big dick too, yet his site is still popular.

A possible goal would be to at least make the copyright owners of these works aware that this is happening, so that they may consider taking legal action. If that is your goal, then I agree that this would be a decent venue to try to do that.

Did you have a specific goal? Sorry to be so confrontational, but I am genuinely curious.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:19 am UTC

This story hit BoingBoing earlier today. Unless any of us happen to have quite a lot of influence in the art world, theres nothing more to do.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:23 am UTC

Well, that's one thing I'm doing. Someone contacted Disney, I contacted another company though I haven't recieved a response yet.

At one point there was a request just to spread the word... so I figured I'd at least do that. =)

At the moment, there is some article awaiting release, which I guess would lead to the next course of action. But I like to have people aware in case there is a good course of action that can be taken.

I understand how this could be like the ebaum thing, which does make me very sad--I just see a lot of plaigiarism (sadly) and it really ticks me off. So if someone asks for help... especially something as simple as spreading the word... I'll try my best!

Hope that answers your question well enough... =)

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:56 am UTC

Mercat wrote:Someone contacted Disney

He's dead.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:56 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:

He's dead.

Necromancer?
They will use his evil powers to consume this lesser evil, not knowing what will come of it, a terrible fusion of copy right infringements and absent working conditions, they will take over the creative world, and reign supreme.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:20 pm UTC

People are assholes. :\
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:35 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:

He's dead.

Necromancer?
They will use his evil powers to consume this lesser evil, not knowing what will come of it, a terrible fusion of copy right infringements and absent working conditions, they will take over the creative world, and reign supreme.

No, not him. Him - Disney's legal team are nothing short of the best.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

D. Wolfwood

Postby D. Wolfwood » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:20 pm UTC

I find it funny that halfway through reading the plagiarism site, I started humming "Ebaums world dot com".

I think this is going to end the same way the Ebaums war did. Damn did I have some fun watching that shit go down.
DRM is like being Married, m i rite?

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:28 pm UTC

A lot of that is crystal clear, however some of it looks as bad as 9/11 conspiracies.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

D. Wolfwood

Postby D. Wolfwood » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:30 pm UTC

I just saw his "Come to the dark side, we have cookies" shirt.
I know 100% that its a ripoff, one of my old friends had a shirt that said that. It was in tan shirt, with plain text, and MAY have had a small picture of a plate of cookies or something.
DRM is like being Married, m i rite?

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:30 am UTC

Well, the good news is, Shmorky is getting his money! However, Goldman has passed the blame to one of his lackeys.

Lame, but... whatever.

Hopefully other people will get on the bandwagon *coughDisneycough* and he will be taken down in a much more... public... manner. ;P

I'll try to post Shmorky's compensation info once he even figures out what it was! (Apparently they don't know how many copies Goldman made, or how much he sold them for.)

elminster

Postby elminster » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:37 pm UTC

D. Wolfwood wrote:I find it funny that halfway through reading the plagiarism site, I started humming "Ebaums world dot com".

I think this is going to end the same way the Ebaums war did. Damn did I have some fun watching that shit go down.

lol that would be funny.... although i doubt it will happen since ebaums specifically stole off high hit rate sites (Like sites at alexa traffic rankings of: 2332, 1115, 4903, 1410, 558, 1404) considering ebaums it as 968, it was easily enough people to take down the site.

Return to “News & Articles”