OLPC manufacturer to sell $200 laptop in developed countries

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

chan the evoker

OLPC manufacturer to sell $200 laptop in developed countries

Postby chan the evoker » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:22 pm UTC

article

The olpc machine is very cool. It''s lightweight, durable, and water resistant. It has a battery life of around 10 hours and the battery is nimh, so it won't be useless in 3 years. It has integrated wireless, usb, a high resolution daylight-usable tablet-convertible display, a built in webcam, and a microphone jack that can act as an analog sensor input. It costs less than $2000. It costs less than $1000. It costs less than a cheap dell. I don't need a fast cpu to take notes, read ebooks, or do web browsing, and I can ssh into my home box from anywhere with wifi if I want to do cpu intensive stuff where latency isn't important.
specs

I can't see why the olpc foundation won't sell them through amazon for about $300, as they'll be available on ebay from someone anyway, but if I'm lucky Quanta will actually sell a comparable model for $200, and not ruin it by using a conventional cpu and cutting costs on the shell.

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:02 am UTC

I'm guessing that the reason they can't sell them to the public is that they're getting all their hardware from the manufacturers for balls cheap. These manufacturers (Dell and companies like that) would much rather have you pay twice as much to get an equivalent laptop in first-world countries.

However, this laptop does seem way cool. Early versions had a hand crank. Tell me that's not the coolest thing ever.

Still, it seems like the money could be spent much more effectively on humanitarian aid. Heck, millions of people are still dying from preventable diarrhea. Sure, the laptops will help the kids get jobs and money in the future, but they need food, medicine, and shelter now.

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:50 am UTC

And not living in a dictatorship would help a humanitarian cause or two.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

mriswith

education

Postby mriswith » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:30 pm UTC

Education is the cure for most of the symptoms we (the developed world) try to treat in developing countries.

Return to “News & Articles”