so apparently there's no actual money in america

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

so apparently there's no actual money in america

Postby damienthebloody » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:55 am UTC

interesting, if somewhat concerning...

http://www.informationliberation.com/index.php?id=20982
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:48 pm UTC

Two rules with news articles: check the facts, then check the source. When a site has the tagline "the news you're not supposed to know", the probability of it being not entirely credible jumps slightly. That said, it might be irrelevant if the facts are actually correct, but a lot of the article is pure conjecture. The US may well be headed for a recession, sure, but there's no reason to think it's as bad as Mike Whitney (lol) says it is.
ImageImageImage

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:41 pm UTC

Ok... this site is obviously crap. Don't trust these articles, because they appear conspiracy-theory based editorialized ramblings with no factual basis. Which I suspect they are.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:13 pm UTC

However, it makes for some awesome suspension of disbelief reading.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:21 pm UTC

My economics teacher told us about this man who said in 33 years, American economy will crumble under the stress of social security.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:49 pm UTC

Making economic predictions 33 years out is alot like reading the words of god off invisible gold tablets in your hat.

Nobody can prove you wrong, so in a way, you are safe.

But expecting it to be right is stupid.

Assuming a 2% per-capita economic growth rate, in 33 years the US economy will have twice the per-capita wealth. So that's an average of 80,000 current dollars in purchasing power per man, woman and child in the USA.

On top of that, we could have a mass depression, a golden age, a singularity, we could invent fusion, we could change the rules of social security slightly, or maybe we'll be able to deal with a reduction in government spending on other areas!

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

That site sems pretty crap. Most of the articles seem to be based on very little factual information. Thsi scares me tho: http://www.informationliberation.com/files/040307terror2.jpg
Apparently they are now having anti terrorism campaingns similar to anti spying during cold war. Apparently everybody is a suspect and you should call the national terrorist hotline (presumeably 0800-TERRORIST) when you see anythign suspicious, like a man taking pictures with a camera. Way to induce mass paranoia....

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

For a laaaaaame math project in sixth grade, we had to take pictures of things with geometric shapes. As I was taking a picture of a triangular yield sign, this guy walks up and says "What are you doing? Are you some kind of terrorist spy? Stop taking pictures before I report you!" I think he was serious, unfortunately.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:37 am UTC

No real terroris has to worry about gettign caught cause the police will be busy trying to arrest the 10 000 suspected terrorists seen taking pictures of famous landmarks...

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:50 am UTC

...yeah, i didn't really look at the source itself when i read it. i thought it was a bit alarmist, but the general premise - i.e. overlending fucking things up really chimed with me, as similar things have been happening on a smaller scale and to a lesser degree over here in australia (we're good at worrying about shit here, despite what you might think).
but i've seen the same theme crop up a few more times in more mainstream media outlets in the last few days - i don't still have the links, but i ran into thisone today - as far as i can tell, newsday is a bit more of a credible source, and the author seems to know what he's talking about.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:56 pm UTC

damienthebloody wrote:here in australia (we're good at worrying about shit here, despite what you might think).

Probably it's to distract you from worrying about all the things that will kill you. :-)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “News & Articles”