Trump presidency

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Mutex

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Mutex » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:09 pm UTC

Even Sarah Palin looks pretty good right now.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:48 pm UTC

Actually, George W is looking better and better lately, too. (If you skip the first rambling paragraphs of his speech and cut to the good stuff.)

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:41 pm UTC

Trump blames UK crime rise (from sexual assault and knife crime) on terrorism and implies the US needs to keep itself safe. Could the US tell their chosen president to cram his hateful, ill-informed opinions up his copious arse?
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:05 pm UTC

A handful of terror incidents raised the crime rate by ~20%? How little crime does he think we have?

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:21 pm UTC

Aside from the usual Trump idiocy, is that 13% right? That seems pretty high overall no?

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:05 pm UTC

A least some of the rise can be attributed to better reporting/gathering methods. Always a tricky thing. (Do the job better, more rigorously, and it looks like it's gettong worse; narrow down criteria to exclude (say) frivalous or unnecessarily borderline inclusions and get accused of massaging the stats to look good. See also A-Level results: exams getting too easy, or basic educational standards falling?)

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:57 pm UTC

He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:26 pm UTC

Your cynicism knows no bounds.

Liri

Postby Liri » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:29 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:This, this cannot be real.

I didn't say, "the satire," for nothing.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:31 pm UTC

It's possible they thought that meant it would be easy to write a satirical take on the article.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:37 pm UTC

Mutex is correct. In my defense though, the only information saying that this is satire is a small link above the headline and in the authors biography. It is pretty telling though that a I could not tell the difference between satire and reality. Poe's Law strikes again!

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:58 pm UTC

Okay, so let me get this straight. Rumpy has successfully managed to downgrade the 'US president ignores or insults families of US service men and women killed in the line of duty' from top story, by replacing it with 'US president insults republican senator he expressly needs to keep onside to pass his ridiculous tax give-away'. That correct?

I love the irony that the prick-in-chief boasted throughout his election campaign about writing 'the art of the deal'. This man couldn't strike a deal with a kindergarten class.

Light relief: during the election I brought home a Hilary and Comb-over fridge magnet on a work trip to Washington. I’ve been serving my country in the Middle East for 9 months. However, both magnets are still there, but my girls seem to have modified the trumpy magnet:

Spoiler:
7G%HwnT2R1CKtmb5NzcLPw_thumb_109a.jpg
Spoiler:

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:16 pm UTC

I don't really give a fuck if he calls Corker a demented midget. Corker was complicit in getting him elected. McCain isn't much better, he votes the Trump line. The confusion keeps the Republicans from making bad things, worse.

I hope you daughters enjoy their artwork. Perhaps you should tell them that the gentleman in question has his finger on red button marked launch. Maybe they will get that sense of fear that I have. As an aside, we are going to put bombers on 24 hour ready alert. That means bombers on the flight line loaded with nuclear weapons. We haven't done that since the end of the cold war.

elasto

Postby elasto » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:42 pm UTC

A US Republican senator says he will not seek re-election, delivering a fierce attack on President Donald Trump.

Arizona Senator Jeff Flake said "reckless, outrageous and undignified behaviour" at the top of the US government was dangerous to democracy.

Mr Trump has previously called Mr Flake "toxic".

The US president is already embroiled in a row with another Republican Senator, Bob Corker.

Before confirming his decision in a speech to the Senate, Mr Flake told the Arizona Republic newspaper "there may not be a place for a Republican like me in the current Republican climate or the current Republican Party".

Taking to the floor, he said he did not enjoy criticising the president but felt it was "a matter of duty and conscience".

"We must never regard as 'normal' the regular and casual undermining of our democratic norms and ideals," he said.

He lamented the "flagrant disregard for truth or decency, the reckless provocations, most often for the pettiest and most personal reasons". "I have children and grandchildren to answer to, and so, Mr President, I will not be complicit," he added.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said it was "probably a good move" Mr Flake was standing down, suggesting he would not win re-election.

link

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:48 pm UTC

what would be nice was if instead of paying lipservice to the balance of powers and gop complicity and then peacing out, people like corker and flake stuck around and actually did their jobs and tried to change the trashfire in their party. by taking actual action. that they could do. since they are in fact senators. who are talking like this is Someone Else's Problem to fix. ugh.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

Liri

Postby Liri » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:04 am UTC

They aren't resigning, and Flake, especially, was on track to lose the GOP primary by a lot. They'll be here till 2019, and I don't think they'll quiet down. That said, yeah, you're right, they could throw a wrench in the legislative agenda, for instance, but by and large it's their agenda, too.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:05 am UTC

Yeah, the impression I get from a lot of Republican objections to Trump isn't "stop, you're doing bad things!" but "stop, you're making us look bad (while we do the same bad things, but we spin it right!)"
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:58 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Yeah, the impression I get from a lot of Republican objections to Trump isn't "stop, you're doing bad things!" but "stop, you're making us look bad (while we do the same bad things, but we spin it right!)"

I'm not even that cynical about it. They may legitimately dislike the way he's behaving as President, with good reason. That doesn't mean they somehow don't want to undo The Affordable Care Act or enact tax reform that helps the rich. Those aren't Trump issues, those are Republican issues.

cphite

Postby cphite » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:39 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:I hope you daughters enjoy their artwork. Perhaps you should tell them that the gentleman in question has his finger on red button marked launch. Maybe they will get that sense of fear that I have.

Right, because it's important to stress kids out with bad information, about shit that is completely beyond their control.

There is no red button marked launch... there is a portable device that allows the sitting president to authorize a nuclear response; in the event that a request comes in from the military. There is no single button that Trump or anyone else can push that will result in missiles being launched.

It's an important distinction to make, because it means that no president - not even Trump - can simply press a button and launch nuclear weapons on a whim.

As an aside, we are going to put bombers on 24 hour ready alert. That means bombers on the flight line loaded with nuclear weapons. We haven't done that since the end of the cold war.

No, we are not.

That story started at DefenseOne.com and to put it simply, they got their facts wrong and a whole bunch of other news outlets ran with it. What actually is happening is that Barksdale AFB is being renovated, and part of the renovations include additional housing for bomber crews and stores for nuclear cruise missiles. It's part of a routine readiness upgrade - it doesn't mean they're on 24 hour alert.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:28 pm UTC

I stand corrected on the 24 hour a day readiness.

The red button is a metaphor.

And don't prattle at me about stressing kids. Mine would never have been allowed to mark up a magnet in that fashion. If his children did it, it speaks volumes about what they are exposed to in Jumble's home.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:45 pm UTC

Meanwhile, Trump is currently 3 weeks past the deadline to impose the tougher sanctions on Russia imposed by congress (http://www.newsweek.com/trump-russia-sa ... ine-690730). No connection to Russia though, clearly.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:02 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:And don't prattle at me about stressing kids. Mine would never have been allowed to mark up a magnet in that fashion. If his children did it, it speaks volumes about what they are exposed to in Jumble's home.

I'm a UK diplomat. They are exposed to current events, history and comparative argument. You have a problem with that?
Spoiler:

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:37 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:You have a problem with that?

Spoken like a true diplomat.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:16 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
Jumble wrote:You have a problem with that?

Spoken like a true diplomat.

These fora are where Jumble lets off steam anonymously. He specifically doesn't speak like a diplomat on here. I find this gives a fascinating and often reassuring insight into the UK govt's real position on international matters.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:29 pm UTC

Actually, that’s how I’ve been so successful in stabilizing Middle East relations. “See you, yer scunner. Wanna take this out to the car park?” I’ve only been actually shot at once (and they missed by 5 feet).
Spoiler:

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:43 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:Actually, that’s how I’ve been so successful in stabilizing Middle East relations. “See you, yer scunner. Wanna take this out to the car park?” I’ve only been actually shot at once (and they missed by 5 feet).

The two golden rules: 1) Never take a gun to a Glaswegian1 knife-fight. 2) Never take a knife to a Glaswegian Kiss competition. For your protection, not theirs.

1 If one so be. That or Supergran. And I wouldn't bat an eyelid if Jumble turned out actually to be Supergran...

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:50 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:I'm a UK diplomat. They are exposed to current events, history and comparative argument. You have a problem with that?
That magnet is an interesting point for reasoned discussion.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 pm UTC

Indeed, and has been. Including discussion on freedom of expression and the role of art within politics. For clarity, my daughters are 17 and 13, and perfectly capable of making up their own minds, definitely not from the parts I provide.

orthogon wrote:These fora are where Jumble lets off steam anonymously. He specifically doesn't speak like a diplomat on here. I find this gives a fascinating and often reassuring insight into the UK govt's real position on international matters.

That's very kind of you. I probably should stress that I speak here only in a private capacity, and only as a lowly functionary of the diplomatic service (I'm not an ambassador to anywhere). What I say here are my views alone, as I would speak to my friends. They don't represent the position of the UK Government, the Civil Service or the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. As you say, it is me letting off steam (and sometimes with the aid of a whiskey).
Spoiler:

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:09 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:They don't represent the position of the UK Government, the Civil Service or the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
That'd explain why you don't sound as if you're talking through the buttocks of the Royal House of Saud. :P

Had the chance to chat to your Iranian counterpart yet? I'm sure he'd appreciate a reassurance that you know Trump's a plonker.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:30 pm UTC

I suspect I'm not likely to be allowed anywhere near....
Spoiler:

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:44 am UTC

There are like 20.000 people in the Saudi royal family, right?

Surely there are some buttocks there, that you would be allowed to go near.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:49 pm UTC

elasto wrote:
A US Republican senator... win re-election.

link

It is nice to know that at least some people still have the guts to do what is right.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:46 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:McCain isn't much better, he votes the Trump line.

McCain may have voted mostly with Trump at first, but since May 10th, he's voted the Trump line 38% of the time.

As an aside, we are going to put bombers on 24 hour ready alert. That means bombers on the flight line loaded with nuclear weapons. We haven't done that since the end of the cold war.

Even if this were true, having bombers ready in case the insane and childish dictator of a rogue nation attacks is not exactly the same as scrambling them to preemptively nuke. There is no way those planes take off and drop their payload just because a president decides he wants to attack.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:56 pm UTC

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3588966
The company tasked with repairing Puerto Rico's electrical grid threatened to withdraw its services after the mayor of San Juan called for more transparency over its $300 million contract.

After Whitefish Energy bypassed a formal bidding process to secure the deal to restore the island's power, San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz said in an interview with Yahoo News that the contract should be "voided right away.”

Background:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/dollar300 ... rump-donor

Puerto Rico has agreed to pay a reported $300 million for the restoration of its power grid to a tiny utility company that is primarily financed by a private-equity firm founded and run by a man who contributed large sums of money to President Trump, an investigation conducted by The Daily Beast has found.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

duodecimus

Postby duodecimus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:09 pm UTC

Huh. I wonder if there is any single company on the planet up to the task of refitting an entire country's electrical grid.

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:17 pm UTC

duodecimus wrote:Huh. I wonder if there is any single company on the planet up to the task of refitting an entire country's electrical grid.

It's, uh, not an entire country.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:05 pm UTC

Depends on what you mean by "country". If Wales can be called a country...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

rivulatus

Postby rivulatus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:07 pm UTC

Very easily, there are very big companies involved in distribution/transmition, and even then the big companies do a lot of subcontracting.
The hard part is getting the lines men to want to work on the island (which is just a matter of money)

But considering how much work is put into tendering small $1 million projects over here (New Zealand), there is no way a giant project is awarded to a company that quickly without some form of corruption.

But don't worry guys Trump is draining the swamp, so there is nothing to look at here.

cphite

Postby cphite » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:42 pm UTC

duodecimus wrote:Huh. I wonder if there is any single company on the planet up to the task of refitting an entire country's electrical grid.

One company can absolutely refit Puerto Rico. In terms of size, Puerto Rico is tiny and their infrastructure is small even for their size.

A better question is, should a company that was literally two people just a few weeks ago, and that's never done anything remotely this scale, be given this job just because they're based out of the hometown of the Interior Secretary?

The answer is fuck no, they shouldn't be given the job on that basis. Not because they can't do the job - they probably can they'd just need to hire more people and subcontract the hell out of it - but because that's not the way it's supposed to fucking work.

Return to “News & Articles”