- Abide by the General Rules.
- This forum is only for discussion of news and articles sourced from reputable sources.
- Don't be a dick.
- Stay on topic. If the topic naturally drifts from one subject matter to another, report the first post it does so requesting a thread split. The moderators will be happy to do so, depending on how clean the split can be. It'll be up to the moderator's discretion to decide whether a topic needs splitting (places where discussion has already petered out, or on the wane, are probably unlikely to be split)
I HAVE NEW NEWS/ARTICLES TO SHARE! WHAT DOES ONE DO IN SUCH A SITUATION?
- Aim for the least-biased reporting where possible. Question your sources before posting; try to source from two or more places [ideally from a range of content providers, who might not necessarily agree ideologically]. Posting five articles from five different Murdoch-owned rags does not count as sourcing from different places.
- Topic titles must accurately convey as much information about the news item or article as possible. "You won't believe this!" is not a good title. "Explosion in moderator forum; three dead" is a good title. Providing it actually happened. (in truth, there was only a minor laceration on one magistrate's finger...but it was a mighty painful one; think papercut times five).
- Topic titles must not be misleading, nor twisted to further a personal or political agenda. One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, etc.
- Post more than just a link with minimal commentary on the news item's subject matter. If you're not interested enough to post a few lines about why the xkcd forum needs this in their forum, then either the story itself is uninteresting, or you're showing a lack of respect for others. Posting a link with scant else is akin to shouting a newspaper headline to a neighbour, before walking away. Unless, of course, the newspaper headline is "EPIDEMIC SPREADS: EVACUATE NOW".
WHERE DO I POST MY NEWS AND/OR ARTICLES?
- YUGE story? Probably deserves a new thread. If a similar one already exists, mods'll probably merge them. No biggie.
- Interesting, topical, and irreverent news stories that demand discussion, but not enough to warrant a new thread, go here.
- If it's a funny, light, humorous, cute, sweet, uplifting, cheery or otherwise warmth-inducing news story, post it here.
- If it's a melancholic, dark, uncomical, unpleasant, bitter, downhearted, unhappy, or otherwise fear-inducing news story, try here.
- If it's about the death of a noteworthy person, try here.
- If it's a news item about something that is indistinguishable from magic, try here.