ↆ Rules for "News & Articles" ↆ

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

ↆ Rules for "News & Articles" ↆ

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

RULES

1. Abide by the General Rules.
  2. This forum is only for discussion of news and articles sourced from reputable sources.
  3. Don't be a dick.
  4. Stay on topic. If the topic naturally drifts from one subject matter to another, report the first post it does so requesting a thread split. The moderators will be happy to do so, depending on how clean the split can be. It'll be up to the moderator's discretion to decide whether a topic needs splitting (places where discussion has already petered out, or on the wane, are probably unlikely to be split)

I HAVE NEW NEWS/ARTICLES TO SHARE! WHAT DOES ONE DO IN SUCH A SITUATION?

1. Aim for the least-biased reporting where possible. Question your sources before posting; try to source from two or more places [ideally from a range of content providers, who might not necessarily agree ideologically]. Posting five articles from five different Murdoch-owned rags does not count as sourcing from different places.
  2. Topic titles must accurately convey as much information about the news item or article as possible. "You won't believe this!" is not a good title. "Explosion in moderator forum; three dead" is a good title. Providing it actually happened. (in truth, there was only a minor laceration on one magistrate's finger...but it was a mighty painful one; think papercut times five).
  3. Topic titles must not be misleading, nor twisted to further a personal or political agenda. One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, etc.

WHERE DO I POST MY NEWS AND/OR ARTICLES?

1. YUGE story? Probably deserves a new thread. If a similar one already exists, mods'll probably merge them. No biggie.
  2. Interesting, topical, and irreverent news stories that demand discussion, but not enough to warrant a new thread, go here.
  3. If it's a funny, light, humorous, cute, sweet, uplifting, cheery or otherwise warmth-inducing news story, post it here.
  4. If it's a melancholic, dark, uncomical, unpleasant, bitter, downhearted, unhappy, or otherwise fear-inducing news story, try here.
  5. If it's about the death of a noteworthy person, try here.
  6. If it's a news item about something that is indistinguishable from magic, try here.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Return to “News & Articles”