Creator of the Pop-Up Ad Issues a Public Apology

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Graham Finch

Creator of the Pop-Up Ad Issues a Public Apology

Postby Graham Finch » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:59 am UTC

Here's the guy who made the Internet a living hell.

Is it too late to firebomb his house?

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Re: Creator of the Pop-Up Ad Issues a Public Apology

Postby ahammel » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:46 pm UTC

Graham Finch wrote:Here's the guy who made the Internet a living hell.

Is it too late to firebomb his house?

Far too late, since it's been many years since I used a browser that didn't have a pop-up blocker.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

I havent gotten a popup ad in years.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:38 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:I havent gotten a popup ad in years.

Same here, mostly. I think the reason is that most browsers (or at least firefox) puts them in background tabs. Unfortunately they've been replaced with something far more annoying: a (usually) small square ad that doesn't pop up in a new window/tab, but pops up within the tab in front of the page content, and then proceeds to move around and dodge my fucking mouse as I try to close it!

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:03 am UTC

scarecrovv wrote:
BlackSails wrote:I havent gotten a popup ad in years.

Same here, mostly. I think the reason is that most browsers (or at least firefox) puts them in background tabs. Unfortunately they've been replaced with something far more annoying: a (usually) small square ad that doesn't pop up in a new window/tab, but pops up within the tab in front of the page content, and then proceeds to move around and dodge my fucking mouse as I try to close it!

I'd be very surprised if one of those fuckers has ever led to a purchase.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:56 am UTC

The worst are the ones on your cellphone. My fingers are too fat to close them, if I can even find the damned X.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:08 am UTC

In twenty years, this guy will write another article beating himself up for suggesting we switch to Web 2.0. A subscriber model for the internet will do away with advertising and put the end-user in control of content and choice? How well did that work when we set up the infrastructure for cable television?

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:43 pm UTC

I haven't seen a legit popup ad in a while (at least, on the SFW part of the internet), but the same level of annoyance is carried by "Did you like this article? Please subscribe to us!" popups, and on mobile devices, "Download our app!".
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:43 am UTC

Sizik wrote:I haven't seen a legit popup ad in a while (at least, on the SFW part of the internet), but the same level of annoyance is carried by "Did you like this article? Please subscribe to us!" popups, and on mobile devices, "Download our app!".

Don't forget the "RATE OUR APP!!! (please?)" you get after a week.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:18 am UTC

This is what I see in my head every time I read the thread title:

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:49 pm UTC

and every time I see that gif all I can see is a water droplet reverse-bouncing off his nose.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:45 pm UTC

philsov wrote:and every time I see that gif all I can see is a water droplet reverse-bouncing off his nose.

I see the water bounce in reverse, too.
What do we expect? It's The Doctor.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:00 am UTC

it’s striking that our attention, as viewers, is worth only a penny an hour to Facebook’s advertisers

Interesting article. The amount of attention I give to ads on Facebook might be worth a penny an hour at best, so it sounds accurate rather than striking. It also makes it sound like the advertising model is working just great. We're scrooges who want to use things for free and would never spend a couple of dollars a month on every website we like, because it starts to add up.

I still see a fair amount of pop-up ads. Pop-unders on Mediafire for example. I prefer to see a website for what it truly is rather than block ads, and just build up all the hate inside. :P

Soteria

Postby Soteria » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:38 pm UTC

I think his point was less to apologize for the pop-up ad itself and more to apologize for helping push the internet to ad-based revenue, which is so antithetical to privacy.

elasto

Postby elasto » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:06 am UTC

To the extent that there is appetite for subscription-based or fee-based models such things do exist - eg. micro-transactions in the form of (much-maligned) in-game purchases.

I think the internet would have ended up with pretty much the current balance of revenue models no matter how it started out.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:26 pm UTC

Bloopy wrote:
it’s striking that our attention, as viewers, is worth only a penny an hour to Facebook’s advertisers

Interesting article. The amount of attention I give to ads on Facebook might be worth a penny an hour at best, so it sounds accurate rather than striking. It also makes it sound like the advertising model is working just great. We're scrooges who want to use things for free and would never spend a couple of dollars a month on every website we like, because it starts to add up.

I still see a fair amount of pop-up ads. Pop-unders on Mediafire for example. I prefer to see a website for what it truly is rather than block ads, and just build up all the hate inside. :P

Facebook ads may not be worth that. I've bought enough to start deriving patterns, and the problem is it's mostly an interlocking series of scams.

First, you have the like sellers. People/companies who want to look popular can buy likes. Obviously, these likes are garbage numbers, as those are not real accounts or customers, and Facebook makes at least a token effort to block the most obvious of them. Mostly because they compete with facebook advertising to some degree.

So, the sellers try to look legit, by camoflauging paid likes with other likes. Ditto for spammers, who try to build at least a cursory appearance of normality before throwing around endless links to sunglasses in unrelated groups. One of the fastest/easiest ways to rapidly dump likes onto an account is to just hit like on whatever ads come up.

Now, you would think you could mostly circumvent this by geographically limiting ad reach narrowly, but of course...they lie about that too. So, the vast majority of hits on advertising are entirely illusory and of no value. In fact, as facebook prioritizes content distribution in part by popularity, as measured with interaction rates, having a large quantity of BS likes can actually seriously hurt you. This can, of course, be bypassed by throwing facebook more money to prioritize your content.

So, it's kind of an endless game of BS that Facebook profits heavily from. The only way to win is not to play.

Return to “News & Articles”