The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

HES

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby HES » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:55 pm UTC

Did you miss the part where Uber are doing exactly the same thing?
He/Him/His Image

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:01 pm UTC

Last week Ford announced that they plan to have fully autonomous ride-sharing service by 2021. That's only 5 years away. Of course making plans is the easy part. It remains to be seen if they will make it. But still, having fully autonomous (they apparently won't even have a steering wheel or pedals) cars by 2021 is faster than I expected. And they aren't talking about just a few test vehicles. They want to deploy hundreds of them.

I think taxi-use avoids some obstacles that are still on this road towards personal self driving cars. The sensor shipment is expensive - less of an issue if the car is in constant, paid use. The currently successful systems seem heavily reliant on detailed 3d maps (manually annotated even), which is easier for a limited area. The sensors work badly in bad weather - easier if you can pick cities with tested weather and stay there.

I don't know if 2021 is the right date, but there does seem to be a straight, credible path towards driverless taxis, perhaps with some limitations that would not be acceptable in a family car but manageable in a taxi.

That seems pretty bad news for uber. Even if they end up as one of a handful of competing driverless taxi firms, they have still lost compared to the current plan to become the sole employer of taxi drivers.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:20 pm UTC

Uber is working with Volvo for their autonomous cars. So its going to be your typical battle of technologies.

Volvo / Uber vs Ford / (Unknown alliance). Who knows? Maybe Uber is the only group who has the money and will pit Volvo vs Ford. Or maybe Uber is the "MySpace" to some unknown future "Facebook" who is about to make an alliance with Ford and capture the autonomous taxi market.

-----------

Ford is putting serious money into this effort: LIDAR sensors, Neural Nets (aka: Machine Learning applied to driving conditions), classical image processing, and new map-technologies. The portfolio is impressive for sure. But as with any other "five-year moonshot" projects, there's little chance for actual delivery in five years.

LIDAR is the real deal as far as sensors (the only issue is that LIDAR is expensive). And Ford is claiming they've got the snow problem solved already. If Ford were targeting say... $500,000 medallions / taxicabs, then the costs of equipping LIDAR isn't really a problem. I don't think LIDAR will be a consumer-technology any time soon, but as a taxi-technology... its probably worth the cost.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:52 pm UTC

HES wrote:Did you miss the part where Uber are doing exactly the same thing?
No. But Uber doesn't make cars, which is half the battle. And Uber isn't making a profit, yet. Does Uber have legs? Ford has balls on the other hand. You don't make that kind of announcement casually. Pardon my use of improper language.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:52 am UTC

I'm not saying running a successful taxi business is easy. But when it comes to 'self-driving taxis' the self-driving part isn't 50% of the battle; it's 99%.

I don't know the details of the Volvo / Uber partnership. But I would expect that Volvo is the one doing the heavy lifting there.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:41 pm UTC

Not ncessarily. The experiment is in Pittsburgh, where the Carnegie Mellon university kicked off the current wave of self driving cars. Uber appears to be hiring everyone there who doesn't feel like moving to California. They are spending a lot of money, and that means their investors must be on board. That's silicon valley royalty, who could pony up far more money than relatively small car makers as Volvo or Geely.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:54 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:I'm not saying running a successful taxi business is easy. But when it comes to 'self-driving taxis' the self-driving part isn't 50% of the battle; it's 99%.

I don't know the details of the Volvo / Uber partnership. But I would expect that Volvo is the one doing the heavy lifting there.

If you actually believe their current valuations, Uber's market capitalization (estimated at $66bn) is almost three times that of Volvo ($23bn), so they would theoretically be able to raise money to support this kind of research/development more easily than Volvo. Additionally, while Volvo certainly has a lot of experts on cars, Uber presumably has a lot of experts on programming and networking.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:59 am UTC

Volvo ($23bn)
I suspect that would be Volvo AB, that makes trucks and engines. Volvo the car company is nowadays a different company, owned by Chinese company Geely.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:42 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:
Volvo ($23bn)
I suspect that would be Volvo AB, that makes trucks and engines. Volvo the car company is nowadays a different company, owned by Chinese company Geely.

You're quite right. The valuation Google lists for Geely is around $7bn, and the car company was sold for around $2bn.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:38 pm UTC

Volvo is much smaller than Uber, agreed. But Volvo is much more specialized. It's a car manufacturer that has always put safety as its primary focus. That's their reputation, that's why you buy a Volvo. So that's where a lot of their R&D money goes. I mean Volvo has been researching autonomous technology since before Uber even existed. Even if Uber can throw a lot more money at the problem, it would be crazy to start from scratch instead of basing their work on Volvo's tech.

I did some googling though. From what I could find it's supposed to be an equal partnership, with both parties providing about half of the investment. The deal is not exclusive though, both parties are free to make deals with others. And they'll each do their own research, and won't share staff. I'm not sure how exactly it's supposed to work. I assume they share IP otherwise what would be the point? My guess is that Volvo will be focusing on driving itself, things like traffic recognition and stuff like that, while Uber will focus more on navigation and stuff like that. At least that seems to be the most logical division of labour. But who knows.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:46 am UTC

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:45 am UTC

The algorithm to populate the Zika news feed on our website decided to put on the headline 'Jesus wants me to smoke this weed' - we think it was probably up for about 24-48 hours before we noticed and took it down.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

siloguist

Postby siloguist » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:23 pm UTC

Oh dear... not exactly a glowing reflection on the state of Facebook is it!

Link

Postby Link » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:18 pm UTC

We may be getting close to creating a drug to treat Alzheimer's disease. We'll have to wait for the Phase 3 results to see if this is as much of a miracle drug as it appears to be, but it's pretty exciting. I'm cautiously optimistic that the young people of today will mostly be able to avoid the living nightmare that is Alzheimer's.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:04 pm UTC

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/05/busin ... f=business
Using the all seeing eye of Uber, economist have finally proven that humans engage in economically irrational act of working longer when wages are low, and working less when wages are high.
For nearly 20 years, economists have been debating how cabdrivers decide when to call it a day. This may seem like a trivial question, but it is one that cuts to the heart of whether humans are fundamentally rational — in this case, whether they earn their incomes efficiently — as the discipline has traditionally assumed.
In one camp is a group of so-called behavioral economists who have found evidence that many taxi drivers work longer hours on days when business is slow and shorter hours when business is brisk — the opposite of what economic rationality, to say nothing of common sense, would seem to dictate.
In another camp is a group of more orthodox economists who argue that this perverse habit is largely an illusion in the eyes of certain researchers. Once you consult more precise numbers, they argue, you find that drivers typically work longer hours when it is in their financial interest to do so.

The question has implications for other workers, like farmers and small business owners. And it has taken on added importance as the so-called gig economy grows, leaving more people in the position of deciding how many tasks to perform each day, from furniture assembly to tagging photos.
So who is right? That’s where Uber comes in. When one of the company’s researchers, using its supremely detailed data on drivers’ work time and rides, waded into the debate with a paper this year, the results were intriguing.
Over all, there was little evidence that drivers were driving less when they could make more per hour than usual. But that was not true for a large portion of new drivers. Many of these drivers appeared to have an income goal in mind and stopped when they were near it, causing them to knock off sooner when their hourly wage was high and to work longer when their wage was low.
There are caveats of course, but the evidence is there.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:46 pm UTC

sardia wrote:economically irrational act of working longer when wages are low, and working less when wages are high.
Whether this is "irrational" or not depends on the goal, which may not be to "make the most money possible". Instead, I'd see this as evidence that money's value is not constant: the first dollar is more valuable than the last one. Also it shows that people learn: the ones that engaged in this "irrational" behavior were the newbies. It could be that there is some filtration here too: new drivers for whom this pattern doesn't work don't stay around.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:22 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
sardia wrote:economically irrational act of working longer when wages are low, and working less when wages are high.
Whether this is "irrational" or not depends on the goal, which may not be to "make the most money possible". Instead, I'd see this as evidence that money's value is not constant: the first dollar is more valuable than the last one. Also it shows that people learn: the ones that engaged in this "irrational" behavior were the newbies. It could be that there is some filtration here too: new drivers for whom this pattern doesn't work don't stay around.

Jose

It's mostly the inexperience that leads to using crude rules of thumb(bad rules) to figure out how much to work. If they truly were seeking a 'good enough' income, the effect shouldn't fade away with experience. It's still very useful data. An employer could build a business model where you constantly churn through labor as they smarten up, because costs will rise. A subset of workers in piece per pay business should definitely specialize in order to know when business is up vs down so they extract the maximum value out of the customers.
Last edited by sardia on Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:24 pm UTC

If you're aiming for a consistent daily income, it makes a certain amount of sense.
He/Him/His Image

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:32 pm UTC

HES wrote:If you're aiming for a consistent daily income, it makes a certain amount of sense.

If that was the goal, then you need to explain why that goal fades as they gain experience. Like if the drivers were truly seeking income security by being consistent, why not work for longer hours when the pay is shitty, but work longer when the pay is good? That way you have a reserve, and a consistent minimum income.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:51 pm UTC

You don't know if today is a bad day, or the beginning of a bad time. If you follow the 'rational' strategy, you end up in the red at the end of bad months, and flush by the end of good months. That is, you're now a regular customer of the local payday lender, with their notorious APRs.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:07 pm UTC

Not really, prioritizing higher per hour days doesn't mean you can't work more if it is necessary at some point but if you would have survived with long hours on bad days and short on good ones then over time working more when you get more should make it unnecessary to work more on bad days by creating a buffer and average money per hour should enf up higher. Of course that assumes your spending is independent of your income which is quite an assumption. But by your argument working less on a good day doesn't make sense either because a bad time might come afterwards.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:59 pm UTC

They're not symmetric. If there's a stretch of bad days after a stretch of good days where you worked short, then you have to work late again on the bad days. That's doable, if unpleasant.

If there's a stretch of bad days after a stretch of bad days where you worked short, then you can't pay the bills. It's much worse.

'Work until you have enough' is a robust strategy, one that still works out if there are deviations from the assumptions. Which is often better than an optimised strategy that's sensitive to deviations. Especially when you're starting out.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:41 am UTC

I don't know, but I think there are a lot of assumptions in these studies about people that are unwarranted. Such as:

• Most people have no budget; or more pertinent, do not know the monthly income they need
  • Most people wouldn't adjust their hours--increase their effort--to meet a needed income
  • Most people love working long hours; perhaps as opposed to spending time with the family
  • Most people can't manage credit

As in the reverse. You know: competent, rational,...having some level of wisdom. As in Homo Sapiens, where sapiens is the Latin present participle of sapere "be wise"

Because the Uber study result is what I would expect to see, given a reasonable level of wisdom. And I'm not sure if that means one set of economists is underthinking, or the other is overthinking.
In all fairness...

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:38 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:You don't know if today is a bad day, or the beginning of a bad time. If you follow the 'rational' strategy, you end up in the red at the end of bad months, and flush by the end of good months. That is, you're now a regular customer of the local payday lender, with their notorious APRs.

On average if you work longer on good days and shorter on bad days, you will make the same amount of money for less hours - or more money for the same amount of hours. So you will have less need to regularly borrow money. And yeah, averages don't always materialize, and you could have a really long stretch of bad days. But you can always switch back to working more if that happens. "Work more on good says, less on bad days" is a good strategy when you have daily variations. For variations on longer timescales it doesn't work. In bad times, you need to work harder. That's universally true no matter your day-to-day strategy.

And every very poor people who live paycheck to paycheck have many expenses that don't happen every day. So while having a consistent income over timescales of a week or a month is nice, you don't need that every day even if you're poor.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:01 pm UTC

Be they taxi drivers or Uber drivers, the load isn't constant in a day. Days can start off good and end poorly or vice versa. You pick your time off and work long hours every day you work. Which is why this kind of work is, all in all, pretty shitty.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:17 pm UTC

Are these self-driving taxis going to have a chaperone present? Because if not, prepare to ride in a taxi that smells like urine.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:25 pm UTC

Self-driving, self-cleaning cars are the way of the future.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:50 pm UTC

New User wrote:Are these self-driving taxis going to have a chaperone present? Because if not, prepare to ride in a taxi that smells like urine.

Initially, yes, but primarily to babysit the technology rather than the occupants. Eventually no, and enforcement is a known hurdle to overcome. Given the user-rating system that UBER operates, I suspect it will actually work out alright (leave it clean if you ever want a driverless ride again, automatic billing for cleanup).
He/Him/His Image

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:54 pm UTC

New User wrote:Are these self-driving taxis going to have a chaperone present? Because if not, prepare to ride in a taxi that smells like urine.

I used to rent cars from a car-sharing service. Basically a car the parking lot of the apartment building that you could reserve in advance. It wasn't very dirty. If you found it dirty, you could call a number, and they would know who used the car previously. That was apparently enough backstop to keep the cleanliness OKish.

For a hypothetical car that drives itself back to the garage at the end of the shift, it should be even easier to keep clean?

elasto

Postby elasto » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:16 pm UTC

Also, I can't think of a good reason why self-driving cars wouldn't have cameras inside, just like many taxis and buses do now.

They might not spot something surreptitious but they'd spot most ordinary damage or uncleanliness.

Because the subsequent passenger would report uncleanliness like urination, in most cases video evidence would reveal the culprit, whose credit card is conveniently available to debit.
Last edited by elasto on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:17 pm UTC

yeah, i don't see how driverless cars are going to be any more of a problem on the hypothetical cleanliness and/or damage front than any other car sharing that is already in place. obviously some subset of the population may damage or mess the cars but then there will likely be a way to report if you find the car damaged. when we pick up car2go (smartcar car sharing service) it always asks you to check when you are first signing out a car) for any sign of any damage or mess at the beginning of your trip. tbh we are usually pretty cursory about inspecting though which means if someone did leave a mess or some sort of exterior paint scratches or something that we didn't catch then we'd probably get our account dinged for it if the next person was more thorough in inspecting! but that's on us for laziness anyway the point is car sharing already takes this into account.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:35 pm UTC

Some people might leave flowers and love notes.
A car might get a name like Peggy Sue.

She might have a No Food Policy
These things can happen.

She might have a comfy pillow and soft warm lap throw.
She might have emergency equipment for passengers to use.

It would be reasonable to require classes and licenses for primary passengers.
We are not in that Future, yet.

Because, Ho-Hum...I know your worries are well founded.
Spoiler:
I've had experience, too.
I moved into an apartment that an adult man had ....(yuck) People!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:58 am UTC

Uber's driverless taxis began operation in Pittsburgh today. I realize that this might seem like old news, since a driverless taxi service has been operating in Singapore for three weeks already, but it still seems worth taking note of since they're the first driverless taxis in the U.S.

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:14 am UTC

ThirdParty wrote:Uber's driverless taxis began operation in Pittsburgh today. I realize that this might seem like old news, since a driverless taxi service has been operating in Singapore for three weeks already, but it still seems worth taking note of since they're the first driverless taxis in the U.S.

Well, not exactly "Driverless", Joshua Brown could tell you about driverless cars, well, that is, if he wasn't dead.

"Self-Driving Ubers have a safety driver in the front seat because they require human intervention in many conditions"

Singapore: "The vehicles will be fully autonomous but an engineer from the company will ride in the vehicle both to monitor its performance and to also take over control if required at some point for safety or other reasons"

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:26 am UTC

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/1 ... -exercise/
Turns out that in addition to all the other physical health benefits of exercise, it also out rejuvenates your skin by 20-40 years. No anti aging cream can match that, nor at the price of free.
The volunteers were aged at 65 or older and, at the study’s start, had normal skin for their age. They began a fairly straightforward endurance training program, working out twice a week by jogging or cycling at a moderately strenuous pace, equivalent to at least 65 percent of their maximum aerobic capacity for 30 minutes. This continued for three months. At the end of that time, the researchers again biopsied the volunteers’ skin. The samples looked quite different, with outer and inner layers that looked very similar to those of 20- to 40-year-olds.

Exercise, it's the punishment that keeps on giving.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:12 pm UTC

Google is building a "Conversation AI" meant to detect abusive/harassing language and take the battle to trolls in real-time.

They do note that, especially while the algorithm is still learning, it's best used as a "first-pass" filter to flag comments for human moderation. It has about a 92% detection rate and a 10% false-positive rate - pretty good, but nowhere near perfect.

While it's not directly related to that project, I found interesting a quote from the article about one of their other projects, which reminded me of some possible concerns raised on this forum in the past, but (in a sense) from the other direction:
And an initiative, aimed at deradicalizing ISIS recruits, identifies would-be jihadis based on their search terms, then shows them ads redirecting them to videos by former extremists who explain the downsides of joining an ultraviolent, apocalyptic cult. In a pilot project, the anti-ISIS ads were so effective that they were in some cases two to three times more likely to be clicked than typical search advertising campaigns.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:43 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:They do note that, especially while the algorithm is still learning, it's best used as a "first-pass" filter to flag comments for human moderation.

Which, in management-speak, means "immediately deploy in production and fire all human staff," naturally.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:44 pm UTC

You ready for mind reading?

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/20/this- ... s-signals/

It doesn't actually read your mind, just your heart rate, breathing, etc. to give an idea of how you're feeling, but it does so 100% remotely with nothing but radio signals.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:48 pm UTC

They have something that can wirelessly monitor your heartrate and breathing, and don't call it a tricorder???

Who's running this show?
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:53 pm UTC

Angua wrote:They have something that can wirelessly monitor your heartrate and breathing, and don't call it a tricorder???

Who's running this show?

Paramount's copyright lawyers. Unfortunately using a cool Sci-Fi reference, even with respect, runs afoul of copyright.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Return to “News & Articles”