Trump presidency

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

gd1

Re: Trump presidency

Postby gd1 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:27 am UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:Jerusalem only matters to certain American Christians because it figures so prominently in the End Times scenarios in the Book of Revelation.

Well, at this point, what can it hurt?

Muslim-->

I think they're going to get more than they bargained for.

Look for these two things in the news (probably not for a bit, not sure how much "a bit" is (it's not 8 bytes :P)):
+A gigantic massacre in the city of Mina
+The river Euphrates revealing a treasure of gold (don't be there or take anything, 99 out of every 100 people who do will end up dying fighting over it)

Shortly after that someone referred to as the Mahdi shows up (first major sign) and the books are closed (as in no more chances to repent [as I understand it anyways]).

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:58 am UTC

gd1 wrote:+A gigantic massacre in the city of Mina
الميناء means "the harbour," and one of the landmarks used by the Syrian Air Force is ميناء الروس meaning the Russians' Harbour. Given peculiarities of languages and the difficulty of translating between them over thousands of years, a massacre launched from a place by forces based there could be translated to a massacre in that place. Of course it could refer to the sorry remains of what used to be a harbour, not to any structure still in use.

gd1 wrote:+The river Euphrates revealing a treasure of gold (don't be there or take anything, 99 out of every 100 people who do will end up dying fighting over it)
Black gold or Black Gold may refer to:
Commodities
Petroleum or crude oil

gd1 wrote:Shortly after that someone referred to as the Mahdi shows up (first major sign) and the books are closed (as in no more chances to repent [as I understand it anyways]).

Copenhagen summit is last chance to save the planet, Lord Stern

The Copenhagen summit is the world's last chance to save the planet from "catastrophic" global warming, according to a major study led by Lord Stern of Brentford, the country's leading authority on climate change.

By Louise Gray, Environment Correspondent
8:30AM GMT 02 Dec 2009

The place name I knew of that was associated with End Times wasn't Mina.
Tel Megiddo (Hebrew: מגידו‎; Arabic: مجیدو‎, Tell al-Mutesellim, "The Tell of the Governor") is an ancient city whose remains form a tell (archaeological mound), situated in northern Israel near Kibbutz Megiddo, about 30 km south-east of Haifa. Megiddo is known for its historical, geographical, and theological importance, especially under its Greek name Armageddon. During the Bronze Age, Megiddo was an important Canaanite city-state and during the Iron Age, a royal city in the Kingdom of Israel. Megiddo drew much of its importance from its strategic location at the northern end of the Wadi Ara defile, which acts as a pass through the Carmel Ridge, and from its position overlooking the rich Jezreel Valley from the west. Excavations have unearthed 26 layers of ruins, indicating a long period of settlement.

Christians believe that Armageddon will be the site of the final battle between Jesus Christ and the kings of the Earth who go to war against Israel, as outlined in the Book of Revelation.

Here it is on the satellite view and don't worry because the airfield to the east is just a gliding centre, with gliders and tug-planes, not a strike aircraft base so they won't be launching any wars from there. They'd use the Apaches based at Ramat David, about 7km north of Megido, which isn't the same place at all.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

gd1

Postby gd1 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:28 pm UTC

Well, this explains the two in a bit more detail: http://discoveringislam.org/signs_before_mahdi.htm**
Removing URL parser due to malware being detected on site.
And here's some lesser signs: http://www.alamongordo.com/77-minor-signs-qiyamat/*
On the lesser signs though, they're vague so it's sort of hard to say really. I figured I'd just point out two really big ones.

Just realized: Trumpresidency... heh

*I think it's only certain ones with regards to the rocks and trees disclosing the information about certain peoples. I really hope so.
**It says most of them could be weak, the mina thing and the euphrates are probably reliable (further down the list... I dunno, this site has fewer and was the one I was looking for, but it doesn't go into as much detail)

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:54 am UTC

a moderator wrote:Removing URL parser due to malware being detected on site.
Could you be more specific?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:09 am UTC

ucim wrote:
a moderator wrote:Removing URL parser due to malware being detected on site.
Could you be more specific?

Jose

Visiting apocalyptic sites can be hazardous in more than one way, I guess.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:39 am UTC

Well, you don't know what you get 'till you get there, and if there's "something dangerous" (to my computer) it would be nice to know what it is, so I can make an appropriate decision.

<rant>Remember the good old days, when the web didn't have any of that fancy s***? Now it's whack-a-mole to turn off cookies, turn off graphics, turn off video, turn off scripts, turn off service workers, and then most sites just won't work at all, so you have to go back and turn them on, one at a time to get what you want without letting the whole world on your machine...</rant>

I'd say that's a good part of the reason we have the Trump so-called presidency.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

gd1

Postby gd1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:43 am UTC

ucim wrote:Well, you don't know what you get 'till you get there, and if there's "something dangerous" (to my computer) it would be nice to know what it is, so I can make an appropriate decision.

<rant>Remember the good old days, when the web didn't have any of that fancy s***? Now it's whack-a-mole to turn off cookies, turn off graphics, turn off video, turn off scripts, turn off service workers, and then most sites just won't work at all, so you have to go back and turn them on, one at a time to get what you want without letting the whole world on your machine...</rant>

I'd say that's a good part of the reason we have the Trump so-called presidency.

Jose

If you want I'll remove it entirely. The one mentioned near the bottom does an okay job too.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:06 am UTC

gd1 wrote:If you want I'll remove it entirely.
I want to know what specific malware was found there, and how it was discovered.

Jose

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 pm UTC

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... ama-polls/
The polls for the pedophile vs the baby killer has gone awry. The spread from the pollsters are getting bigger and bigger. The automated polling is showing Jones losing while the traditional polling is showing Jones winning. 538 has stuck with their decision that Moore has a tight lead, but Jones can win if the demographic assumptions are wrong.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:32 pm UTC

Be fair, his victims are all post puberty, making him an ephebiphile, and- oh hi there Chris Hansen! You want me to sit where?

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:03 pm UTC

sardia wrote:https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-the-hell-is-happening-with-these-alabama-polls/
The polls for the pedophile vs the baby killer has gone awry. The spread from the pollsters are getting bigger and bigger. The automated polling is showing Jones losing while the traditional polling is showing Jones winning. 538 has stuck with their decision that Moore has a tight lead, but Jones can win if the demographic assumptions are wrong.

I refuse to get my hopes up. I felt confident about the Brexit vote and Trump. I refused to get my hopes up during the general election earlier this year and that worked out much better. So hopefully not getting my hopes up will make Jones win, fingers crossed! I mean... dammit.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:27 pm UTC

Maybe there are lots of people who are quite happy to anonymously vote for the molester in automated polls and actual elections but prefer to pretend they'd never do such a thing when asked by an actual person who may know who they are.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:46 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Maybe there are lots of people who are quite happy to anonymously vote for the molester in automated polls and actual elections but prefer to pretend they'd never do such a thing when asked by an actual person who may know who they are.

They accounted for that, and it isn't the reason.
the empirical evidence for it affecting election polls is somewhat flimsy. The Bradley Effect (the supposed tendency for polls to overestimate support for minority candidates) has pretty much gone away, for instance. There’s been no tendency for nationalist parties to outperform their polls in Europe. And so-called “shy Trump” voters do not appear to have been the reason that Trump outperformed his polls last year.2

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:34 am UTC

http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/al ... n-results/
Baby killer and pedophile are tied. It's going to be a nail biter.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:35 am UTC

It's been called already. Jones won.
Behold your only true messiah. An entity of which you're a part.
A vast and cold indifferent being. A grey clad mass without a heart.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:05 am UTC

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

edit: yeah good job not voting for the pedophile excellent work alabama
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:31 am UTC

With just a .7% margin.

BABY KILLER! BABY KILLER! Wooo!

gd1

Postby gd1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:38 am UTC

Maybe now something will be done about the education standards in Alabama (though it may not be as bad as I thought according to google?)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:44 am UTC

US Senator, not State Senator. It means that the Republicans will have one less vote in the Senate.
Behold your only true messiah. An entity of which you're a part.
A vast and cold indifferent being. A grey clad mass without a heart.

Liri

Postby Liri » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:06 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:With just a .7% margin.

0.7%? I'm seeing 1.5% on the NYT tracker.

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:21 am UTC

Seriously? do you really think that if Moore got a teenager pregnant he wouldn't think that abortion is just fine?

Also I don't get the Trump supporters likening Moore, didn't he get kicked off the bench for displaying the Ten Commandments?

THOU SHALL NOT COVET THY NEIGHBORS WIFE

" I moved on her like a bitch, and she was married"

One might think that actually cheating on ones wife is worse than "locker room talk", but it seems that biblically that doesn't count as adultery, it only if one sullies another man's property that counts.
Also, why the fuck would any woman vote for any of those clowns?

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:42 am UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:Seriously? do you really think that if Moore got a teenager pregnant he wouldn't think that abortion is just fine?
He'd probably ask the girl's mother, first.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:58 am UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:

Seriously? do you really think that if Moore got a teenager pregnant he wouldn't think that abortion is just fine?

The joke is lost on this one.

Liri wrote:
0.7%? I'm seeing 1.5% on the NYT tracker.

Was .7% earlier. Glad to see the larger margin.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:47 am UTC

Well, my strategy of refusing to get my hopes up seems to be paying off.

I wonder if the GOP will take this as a clear warning shot and rethink their deeply unpopular tax bill. I mean, what could be a clearer warning than losing Alabama? Somehow I doubt they'll take heed though. More likely they'll rush even harder to get as much passed as possible before Jones takes his seat.

K-R

Postby K-R » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:41 am UTC

Mutex wrote:I wonder if the GOP will take this as a clear warning shot and rethink their deeply unpopular tax bill. I mean, what could be a clearer warning than losing Alabama?
Because as we know, the tax bill was the primary issue in the Alabama election.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 am UTC

K-R wrote:
Mutex wrote:I wonder if the GOP will take this as a clear warning shot and rethink their deeply unpopular tax bill. I mean, what could be a clearer warning than losing Alabama?
Because as we know, the tax bill was the primary issue in the Alabama election.

Not primary, but I'd be surprised if the allegations were the sole factor at play.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:28 pm UTC

Incessant pounding on as a baby raper, large amounts of out of state money, and the whole world looking at them, and the election was close. Clearly the Democratic party is not out of the woods in that state. However a win is a win.

Liri

Postby Liri » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:38 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:Incessant pounding on as a baby raper, large amounts of out of state money, and the whole world looking at them, and the election was close. Clearly the Democratic party is not out of the woods in that state. However a win is a win.

There was a 30-point shift towards the Democrat from how Alabama voted in the past two presidential elections. in a state with very few swing voters. Democrats came out of the woodwork to vote this time.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:46 pm UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:

Also I don't get the Trump supporters likening Moore, didn't he get kicked off the bench for displaying the Ten Commandments?

THOU SHALL NOT COVET THY NEIGHBORS WIFE

" I moved on her like a bitch, and she was married"

One might think that actually cheating on ones wife is worse than "locker room talk", but it seems that biblically that doesn't count as adultery, it only if one sullies another man's property that counts.
Also, why the fuck would any woman vote for any of those clowns?

I think the problem is that you believe that those "Christians" have read the Bible or care about anything it says. This hypothesis is not consistent with the available evidence.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:11 pm UTC

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/de ... t-for-now/
Bad news, the freedom caucus has decided to play defense. Instead of asking for large cuts, they have settled for denying DACA. With those votes in hand, the rest of the GOP is free to pass a spending bill. The polling for DACA or shutting down the government looks poor. It's likely Democrats will need to compromise on something to save DACA, like funding the wall.

gd1

Postby gd1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:31 pm UTC

Quote A
sardia wrote:https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/democrats-appear-to-have-lost-the-daca-fight-for-now/
Bad news, the freedom caucus has decided to play defense. Instead of asking for large cuts, they have settled for denying DACA. With those votes in hand, the rest of the GOP is free to pass a spending bill. The polling for DACA or shutting down the government looks poor. It's likely Democrats will need to compromise on something to save DACA, like funding the wall.

Quote B
LaserGuy wrote:I think the problem is that you believe that those "Christians" have read the Bible or care about anything it says. This hypothesis is not consistent with the available evidence.

(Quote A) / 2 = Quote B
?

Ingolifs

Postby Ingolifs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:01 am UTC

Well done to Alabama for not (quite) living up to its reputation, though I have to say I was a bit creeped out by the exit polls showing the 3.5% of voters who think Moore is a paedophile and voted for him anyway.
I belong to the tautologist's school of thought, that science is by definition, science.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:20 am UTC

Ingolifs wrote:Well done to Alabama for not (quite) living up to its reputation, though I have to say I was a bit creeped out by the exit polls showing the 3.5% of voters who think Moore is a paedophile and voted for him anyway.

If you honestly believe that fetuses are truly alive, and that the right to life is more important than the mother's health and other rights, and that raping a child is not as bad as murdering one...

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:46 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Ingolifs wrote:Well done to Alabama for not (quite) living up to its reputation, though I have to say I was a bit creeped out by the exit polls showing the 3.5% of voters who think Moore is a paedophile and voted for him anyway.

If you honestly believe that fetuses are truly alive, and that the right to life is more important than the mother's health and other rights, and that raping a child is not as bad as murdering one...

I think we have a winner for the most fucked up version of the trolley problem

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Well, my strategy of refusing to get my hopes up seems to be paying off.

I wonder if the GOP will take this as a clear warning shot and rethink their deeply unpopular tax bill. I mean, what could be a clearer warning than losing Alabama? Somehow I doubt they'll take heed though. More likely they'll rush even harder to get as much passed as possible before Jones takes his seat.

Why would they? Moore didn't lose because of the tax bill or anything else the GOP is doing right now... according to all of the polls, the people of Alabama agree with him overwhelmingly on most issues. He lost because he was outed as being a sexual predator towards children - and it was still incredibly close.

So yeah, on the one hand it was a major victory for the democrats to win a seat in a deeply conservative state... but on the other hand, they just barely won against a complete and utter creep who preyed on children, and who had members of his own party asking him to withdraw, some actually endorsing his opponent. Moore practically went into hiding the final week of the campaign, which probably cost him a percentage point by itself.

In other words, a win is a win, but it's risky to put too much meaning into this particular result, especially in regards to actual issues. This was mostly about Moore being a piece of shit.

Moving back to the tax bill... the GOP is betting that their tax plan will boost the economy in a way that will get them votes, even if it's unpopular now. They're worried right now that backlash against Trump is going to hurt them in the midterms. But if they pass this bill and it really does boost the economy, they're hoping that will be enough to keep some seats. The bill is already unpopular; they're banking on the results changing peoples minds. The Moore thing doesn't change any of that.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:59 pm UTC

cphite wrote:Moving back to the tax bill... the GOP is betting that their tax plan will boost the economy in a way that will get them votes, even if it's unpopular now. They're worried right now that backlash against Trump is going to hurt them in the midterms. But if they pass this bill and it really does boost the economy, they're hoping that will be enough to keep some seats. The bill is already unpopular; they're banking on the results changing peoples minds. The Moore thing doesn't change any of that.

Oh boy are they going to be mad when they realize that trickle down is a lie, and doesn't result in boosting the economy.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:17 pm UTC

I said it before and I'll say it again. Except for a few fringe people, people are perfectly fine with rich people having more money than poor people; people are upset that being rich or poor is increasingly diverging from contributions to society. If society requires your labor to function, there is no excuse for that society to let you remain poor. If you provide little to no benefit to society, there is no excuse for you becoming richer.

/rant

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:21 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
cphite wrote:Moving back to the tax bill... the GOP is betting that their tax plan will boost the economy in a way that will get them votes, even if it's unpopular now. They're worried right now that backlash against Trump is going to hurt them in the midterms. But if they pass this bill and it really does boost the economy, they're hoping that will be enough to keep some seats. The bill is already unpopular; they're banking on the results changing peoples minds. The Moore thing doesn't change any of that.

Oh boy are they going to be mad when they realize that trickle down is a lie, and doesn't result in boosting the economy.

Like Kansas, when the Republican legislature over-rode the governor's veto to raise taxes because their entire economy fell apart due to shortfalls from the tax cuts, and their economy lagged in double digit percentage points from surrounding states?

and yet, even given that, Kansas went overwhelmingly for Trump. Because.... baby killers? Hillary OMGWTFBBQBENGHAAAAAAAZZZZZIIII!

(deep sigh)

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it, and those of us who do are forced to stand by and watch it happen over and over again.
"We have met the enemy, and we are they. Them? We is it. Whatever."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:49 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Oh boy are they going to be mad when they realize that trickle down is a lie, and doesn't result in boosting the economy.

Unless there's a major crash or individuals start losing out personally it's not going to change anything. People look at what they're gaining or losing for the most part. Certainly it would be better if instead of cutting taxes on the rich you cut more on the poor, but as long as individuals don't feel like they're losing something (and in this case many are gaining, albeit a small amount wrt to taxes) people will consider the policy successful. And votes will go along standard party lines. This tax bill will have to have immediate negative impact for individuals for it to change the minds of many people.

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:52 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:

Well, hey - I didn't say I was banking on it, I said they were.

But that's an oversimplification anyway. The economic conditions today are very different than the economic conditions during any of the previous large cuts in tax rates, both domestically and globally. There are experts coming down on both sides of the question, with some pretty wildly varying projections.

Personally, I think we're gonna see a brief boost followed by a decline... the question is, how big a boost and for how long. It only has to last for about a year to get them their votes.

Return to “News & Articles”