Why trust the CDC?

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

froghero
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:09 pm UTC

Why trust the CDC?

Postby froghero » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:27 pm UTC

In a discussion with a person who doesn't care for big business, the government, and modern healthcare in general, what reasoning would you give to convince them that the CDC is trustworthy?

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8169
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Why trust the CDC?

Postby Zohar » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:40 pm UTC

Meh? The only reasoning that might work in this case is to show how other countries' medical organizations have similar recommendations and conclusions as the CDC. Maintaining a global conspiracy of that scale, with millions of medical practitioners around the world that could all expose the lies, is pretty unreasonable. But if the guy keeps believing in conspiracy theories you're probably wasting your time. They could use some mental health support, if they believed in it long enough to try some.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 9991
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Why trust the CDC?

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:48 pm UTC

Because there isn't a whole lot of money to be made working in the CDC that these people couldn't make outside it, other than profit people generally go into government with good intentions or at least enough of them do to make a conspiracy involving an entire organization extremely unlikely, and we haven't had a major plague or epidemic the way we routinely did a century ago so it's probable someone is doing their job right?

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11204
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Why trust the CDC?

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:59 am UTC

froghero wrote:In a discussion with a person who doesn't care for big business, the government, and modern healthcare in general, what reasoning would you give to convince them that the CDC is trustworthy?


That's a hard sell. I'd focus in on the specific subtopic, rather than trying to convince them of everything.

If, for instance, it's the vaccines/autism accusations, I'd point out the wide variety of support for one side, and the lack for the other. This implies the CDC is likely to be correct in it's pro-vaccine stance, and even if they still dislike the CDC, they are probably more likely to accept evidence from other sources viewed as trustworthy.

It's hard to overturn an entire worldview at one go, so I find it easier to look for something more limited, in which the evidence is strong. Easier to shift it a bit that way.

User avatar
Ranbot
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:39 pm UTC

Re: Why trust the CDC?

Postby Ranbot » Fri May 11, 2018 10:32 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
froghero wrote:In a discussion with a person who doesn't care for big business, the government, and modern healthcare in general, what reasoning would you give to convince them that the CDC is trustworthy?


I'd focus in on the specific subtopic, rather than trying to convince them of everything..... I'd point out the wide variety of support for one side, and the lack for the other. This implies the CDC is likely to be correct in it's pro-vaccine stance, and even if they still dislike the CDC, they are probably more likely to accept evidence from other sources viewed as trustworthy.

Agreed. The CDC isn't just pulling information out of thin air. So, on any specific subject you can usually find a number of other reputable sources that will coincidentally agree with the CDC's conclusion.

Alternatively, instead of defending the CDC make the other person defend their position and provide their sources for you. It's a more combative tactic, but it turns the "Bullshit Asymmetry Principle" back on the conspiracy theorist. When the majority of the medical and scientific world generally agrees with and trusts the CDC, then the onus is on them to provide convincing evidence otherwise. If they accept that challenge usually their reasoning or sources are easily be shown to be to biased, politically-motivated, anecdotal, pseudo-science, sources with questionable motives, refuted by numerous other studies, etc.


If you're having a debate with conspiracy theorists on a social media platform with a wide audience, consider giving up and letting it go.... "discussions" on those platforms are rarely a real and honest exchange of ideas. Typically they are people [or trolls] grandstanding for others on their side and trying to get attention. Giving them that attention can quickly backfire.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6403
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: Why trust the CDC?

Postby ucim » Sat May 12, 2018 4:50 am UTC

Ranbot wrote:If you're having a debate with conspiracy theorists on a social media platform with a wide audience, consider giving up and letting it go.... "discussions" on those platforms are rarely a real and honest exchange of ideas. Typically they are people [or trolls] grandstanding for others on their side and trying to get attention. Giving them that attention can quickly backfire.
I agree with most of this, except for the idea that "they are just trolls". Thing is, people who aren't trolls read this stuff, become convinced, and then participate, either there or elsewhere. And yes, I have this firsthand. And no, I'm (almost certainly) not being trolled.

So, yes, this has to be fought. But I also have no idea how, if the person has abandoned the very methods of reason that would allow them to see the difference between a credible source and one that isn't.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

User avatar
Ranbot
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:39 pm UTC

Re: Why trust the CDC?

Postby Ranbot » Mon May 14, 2018 2:37 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Ranbot wrote:If you're having a debate with conspiracy theorists on a social media platform with a wide audience, consider giving up and letting it go.... "discussions" on those platforms are rarely a real and honest exchange of ideas. Typically they are people [or trolls] grandstanding for others on their side and trying to get attention. Giving them that attention can quickly backfire.
I agree with most of this, except for the idea that "they are just trolls". Thing is, people who aren't trolls read this stuff, become convinced, and then participate, either there or elsewhere. And yes, I have this firsthand. And no, I'm (almost certainly) not being trolled.

So, yes, this has to be fought. But I also have no idea how, if the person has abandoned the very methods of reason that would allow them to see the difference between a credible source and one that isn't.

Jose

I could have completed that thought a little better, but I felt like it was straying from the OP's topic. We're there now so... Yes I'm aware that social media has bystanders watching, who can be more important to convince than the conspiracy theorist(s) doing most of the talking. We can't leave voids that are only filled by nut jobs. We do have to fight this war, but you can win a war without fighting every skirmish. Not all social media scenarios are the same. There are scenarios you might be setting yourself up to be torn apart by people who have as you say "abandoned the very methods of reason". Try to read the room and choose your battles wisely.

And for the record, I didn't say "they are just trolls". I feel like that paints all of them as trolls, which is a much wider brush than I intended. I said they are "people [or trolls]" meaning there are normal people, but a subset of them may have troll-like behavior too. We all know the saying, "do not feed trolls." So, I would look for trolls or consider them as part of choosing your battles wisely.


Return to “Serious Business”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests