1148: "Nothing to Offer"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quicksilver

1148: "Nothing to Offer"

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:05 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/1148/
Alt text:"cerebrospinal fluid, pericardial fluid, sputum, aqueous humor, perilymph, chyme, hydatid fluid, interstitial fluid, rheum, and gin."
I don't like this one. I'm not sure what the joke here is exactly.
Last edited by Quicksilver on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rhomboidal

Re: 1148: "Nothing to Offer"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:11 am UTC

I was thinking that ALL of Churchill's fluids might be at least 94 proof.

ysth

Postby ysth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:37 am UTC

Radiator fluid...

Cigar ash; let's not forget his famous cigar ash.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:40 am UTC

Well, as long as there's gin...

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:26 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:I don't like this one. I'm not sure what the joke here is exactly.

I'm really not trying to be belligerent, but were you so concerned with being the first person to post the comic that you did not want to spend any time on a quick google search of the quote?

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:30 am UTC

Cigar ash and gin…
is there anything else one ever could need?
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

AlbertR713

Postby AlbertR713 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:31 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:I don't like this one. I'm not sure what the joke here is exactly.

I'm really not trying to be belligerent, but were you so concerned with being the first person to post the comic that you did not want to spend any time on a quick google search of the quote?

I know the quote, but I agree with OP. I think that there must be some reference that I don't get, or just not my type of humor.

Rotherian

Postby Rotherian » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:19 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Cigar ash and gin…

Depending upon the season, ice, perhaps?
There are two general categories of opinion: regular opinions and informed opinions.
Please do not argue with me unless your opinion falls into the latter category.

McBee

Postby McBee » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:24 am UTC

...interstitial fluid, rheum, and gin. ...On second thought, scratch the last one.... I'm not too fond of parting with my gin.

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 am UTC

Noah, I'm half drunk and slathered in every bodily fluid there is... so yeah... this is about as Pirate Kingy as I'm going to get so brief away.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:32 am UTC

Would anyone like to offer an explanation as to this one.

Tryss

Postby Tryss » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:57 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Would anyone like to offer an explanation as to this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood,_toi ... _and_sweat

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:03 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:

I didn't realize it was a quote, and I'm pretty sure OP didn't either. You could of just explained it, instead of being belligerent. :P

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:35 am UTC

With every passing year, "toil" looks more and more out of place in that speech.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:49 am UTC

Churchill was an awesome speaker. There is an awesome video where they added music to his speech, but if you listen to the original, you'll hear that his voice sounds almost like singing even when not backed by a band from the future.

thwaitgold

Postby thwaitgold » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 am UTC

:(
Last edited by thwaitgold on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

thwaitgold

Postby thwaitgold » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:18 am UTC

GIN????

Scotch, please.

ysth

Postby ysth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:21 am UTC

CasualSax wrote:You could of just explained it, instead of being belligerent. :P

Could have, not could of. Please, please, please. It hurts my eyes.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:54 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:

I actually knew it was a quote, and my first reaction was a resounding "duh" at a list of bodily fluids. Merely extending on a famous phrase is not particularly clever, even when you bring up Winston Churchill's drinking.

Gigano

Postby Gigano » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:57 am UTC

CasualSax wrote:You could of just explained it, instead of being belligerent. :P

My (very) unsalted opinion: In this day and age of information, there is no excuse for being deliberately ignorant. When you're on the internet and you don't understand or know something, ask Google first. Ask people second if Google doesn't help.

From a social and friendly standpoint I would still explain it to someone who asks, but a little bit of investigative initiative can help a long way in ridding the world of general suck. Particularly when that something is as easy to investigate as a quote.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

J L

Postby J L » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:00 am UTC

glasnt wrote:Well, as long as there's gin...

A good gin can make you put up with almost everything.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:08 am UTC

McBee wrote:...interstitial fluid, rheum, and gin. ...On second thought, scratch the last one.... I'm not too fond of parting with my gin.
TBH, he's welcome to keep most of the rest.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

famebait

Postby famebait » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:08 pm UTC

But what are the ones behind the radio?

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:12 pm UTC

Gigano wrote:

My (very) unsalted opinion: In this day and age of information, there is no excuse for being deliberately ignorant. When you're on the internet and you don't understand or know something, ask Google first. Ask people second if Google doesn't help.

From a social and friendly standpoint I would still explain it to someone who asks, but a little bit of investigative initiative can help a long way in ridding the world of general suck. Particularly when that something is as easy to investigate as a quote.

I had this futile argument over the span of a many-page thread several months ago when the comic about Cirith Ungol was published. You're right of course, but some people just refuse to do it. I'll never understand why.

bjowen

Postby bjowen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:23 pm UTC

This comic forges an uncomfortable cross-over between Winston Churchill and General Ripper from Dr Strangelove...

project2051

Postby project2051 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:38 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Cigar ash and gin…

Tonic and a splash of lime?

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:41 pm UTC

I must admit I did not immediately recognize the quote so I came here knowing it would eventually be explained in excruciating detail, with a side offering of snark. I was not disappointed

John E.

Postby John E. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:11 pm UTC

Wait - how could anyone NOT know that quote? It was one of the most stirring calls to the defense of Western Civilization of the 20th century.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 pm UTC

John E. wrote:Wait - how could anyone NOT know that quote? It was one of the most stirring calls to the defense of Western Civilization of the 20th century.

So? I'm sure there are plenty of things that other people believe everyone should know that you don't know about. It is arrogant and foolish to assume that because you happen to know something, or even because most people you know know something, that everyone must know it.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:30 pm UTC

John E. wrote:Wait - how could anyone NOT know that quote? It was one of the most stirring calls to the defense of Western Civilization of the 20th century.

I'd never heard the quote... I thought Randall was playing off the lyrics of a country song in the comic (with the chorus "I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears, sweat, and gin.") Actually, I think it should be a country song. It's probably still well known in England, where the average person still might have heard of the Wars of the Roses or the Hundred Years' War, but I doubt many Americans under sixty know the quote.

Edit: Oh, for the country song's tune, I'm imagining the twangy country version of "All I want for Christmas is you."
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

yawningdog

Postby yawningdog » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:34 pm UTC

"I'm really not trying to be belligerent, but were you so concerned with being the first person to post the comic that you did not want to spend any time on a quick google search of the quote?"

"It was originally a Churchill quote. Randall added some funny suffixes."

Wow. Actually answering the question takes less effort that being condescending and snarky. Were you so concerned with being belligerent that you did not want to spend any time on a quick, helpful reply?
"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
- Bruce Lee

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:39 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote: [...] I'm sure there are plenty of things that other people believe everyone should know that you don't know about. [...]

Exactly: JPatten is one of today's lucky 10,000!
So am I, to be honest. The "Never ... has so much been owed by so many to so few" and "We shall fight them on the beaches" lines tend to hog the airtime.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:40 pm UTC

On Googling vs asking an expert:

1) it's not always obvious what to Google for unless you already have a good idea of the answer.
2) Google results often include a lot of "noise" - pages where the phrase is used without the relevant context (not the case this time).
3) Find the answer on Google and one person knows the answer; get it posted to a forum thread, and everyone who reads the thread knows it.
4) Some people enjoy showing off their knowledge

A) Why should an expert take the time to answer your question when you aren't prepared to take the time to try finding the answer yourself
B) The Google results will often include interesting context that isn't relevant to the comic - get a question answered on a forum, and you have the answer to one question; do the research yourself, and you find the answers to dozens of questions you hadn't even asked...
C) Google gets you the answer almost immediately; forum posts mean you need to wait until someone willing to answer comes along
D) If you use Google and still don't find the answer, you can always mention that when you ask. Once you've asked on a forum thread, using Google isn't going to avoid annoying the people who are going to be annoyed by your question...

blowfishhootie wrote:

So? I'm sure there are plenty of things that other people believe everyone should know that you don't know about. It is arrogant and foolish to assume that because you happen to know something, or even because most people you know know something, that everyone must know it.

In other words they're one of today's lucky ten thousand: http://www.xkcd.com/1053/

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:44 pm UTC

I, for one, intend to end all of my long lists with "... and gin" for the foreseeable future.

I mean, c'mon. Gin is great for parties, family reunions, Christmas, New Years', old years, birthdays, death-days, bashes, balls, shindigs, court cases, revelry, revelations, revolutions, revivification, picnics, and gin.

Maybe that's a bad example?

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:52 pm UTC

CasualSax wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:

I didn't realize it was a quote, and I'm pretty sure OP didn't either. You could of just explained it, instead of being belligerent. :P

I also didn't realize it was a quote, until I googled it.

Bernkastel

Postby Bernkastel » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:56 pm UTC

If there's something I've learned, then it's that there will always be someone who doesn't know.

I not recognize the quote. I didn't even realize it was a quote.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:57 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:In other words they're one of today's lucky ten thousand: http://www.xkcd.com/1053/

Conjecture: xkcd is tending towards a condition of memetic completeness, whereby any forum question can be addressed by reference to a previous comic.

Or does Gödel's incompleteness theorem forbid this?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

yawningdog wrote:Wow. Actually answering the question takes less effort that being condescending and snarky. Were you so concerned with being belligerent that you did not want to spend any time on a quick, helpful reply?

Welcome to xkcd, we like brain smarts here.

LennyLen

Postby LennyLen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:19 pm UTC

I'm sooooo glad that smegma wasn't one of the bodily fluids/secretions mentioned.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:
yawningdog wrote:Wow. Actually answering the question takes less effort that being condescending and snarky. Were you so concerned with being belligerent that you did not want to spend any time on a quick, helpful reply?

Welcome to xkcd, we like brain smarts here.
As opposed to ass smarts?
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”