0988: "Tradition"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Fire Brns

Re: 988: "Tradition"

Postby Fire Brns » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

OP Tipping wrote:Who listens to the radio these days anyway?

At work we can't ear earbuds so we have a radio running.

I've heard the snoopy song down here in Fl; also Christmas Wrapping (one of the only 2 possible marginally good rap songs ever).
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

dcheesi

Postby dcheesi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:11 pm UTC

I wish someone would tell this to our local Xmas radio station. I swear, every time I've been subjected to it this year it's been playing the same godawful George Michael song.

Every. Single. Time. :evil:

jetsam

Postby jetsam » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

Those Baby Boomers were always pretty callow. I have watched those songs come in, and learned to turn the radio off right after Thanksgiving. Do not be a captive ear. Work on learning "The Twelve Days of Christmas." ~ A War Baby

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:17 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:

I've heard the snoopy song down here in Fl; also Christmas Wrapping (one of the only 2 possible marginally good rap songs ever).

gangsters paradise being the other one?

anyway I am jealous of you having the radio on, it sure beats 8 hours of *whuurrrrrr* although when I have listened to the radio at work I prefer talk radio,

pezguy

Postby pezguy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

Now you have to scale the height of each box with the frequency with which it is played and keep adding songs until you obtain some rational measure of convergence.

perakojot

Postby perakojot » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

looking from the outside at the US pop coulture (for the last 20 years), i would bet Mariah Carey would be there on the list..

strange..

chmill24

Postby chmill24 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:47 pm UTC

A good number of these songs are directly related to World War 2. Songs like I'll Be Home for Christmas and White Christmas became popular due to soldiers being away and wanting to come home. Media at the start of WWII focused on battles and the such. However it soon changed to escapist fare, stuff that took your mind off the war. Meanwhile music changed to stuff that reminded soldiers and the public what was being fought for. Soldiers wanted to be reminded of life at home and songs such as these did that.

capefeather

Postby capefeather » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

I've always found it rather amusing that "traditional Christmas songs" are less than 70 years old. I don't know if it's due to my Asian upbringing but I always had a strange sense that people were implicitly led to assume that these are timeless classics from time immemorial, maybe not as old as Beethoven but getting there.

drevil_999

Postby drevil_999 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

The songs on the list aren't played much in the radio where I live. I often hear the kink's "Father Christmas".

I don't know much about royalties for air play, but I would not be surprised that stations would play older music if they didn't have to pay for the performance.

ftantillo

Postby ftantillo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

This made me hate Christmas until I realized that TV Christmas specials are a massive project to recreate the Christmases of Gen Xer's childhoods. Now all is right with the world.

bonzerinc

Postby bonzerinc » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

Merry Christmas From the Family, Robert Earl Keen.
Christmas Wish, NRBQ.
Christmas Cavalcade of Music, Chandler Travis Philharmonic (check them out at sonic trout.com).
A Charlie Brown Christmas, Vince Guaraldi.

These are the first songs or albums that pop into my head when I think of listenable Christmas music. The REK song is hands-down the funniest Christmas song I know- much better than that Twisted Christmas BS.

Disclaimer: I'm a boomer (b 1960).

averageJon

Postby averageJon » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

As a gen-x person, I'd rather listen to the songs listed than certain Christmas songs (which I dare not name) by Paul McCartney, Mariah Carey, and George Michael.

maxhat

Postby maxhat » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

Why don’t kids today appreciate good Christmas movies like ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ and ‘A Christmas Story’? These movies have no relevance to their lives.

MathUhhhSaurus

Postby MathUhhhSaurus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

I bet you Michael Buble will save us 2010-ers with some future classics! Also, I like the song Frosty the Bluesman. It should be more popular than it is.
Last edited by MathUhhhSaurus on Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ladycygnus

Postby ladycygnus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

You forgot "Baby It's Cold Outside" -- which would go in the 1940s column for first release, but has had at least 30 versions done of it since that time...all of which were played on the radio station my parents were listening to over Thanksgiving.

Play List:
Baby It's Cold Outside - bluesy version
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause - little girl
Baby It's Cold Outside - modern version
White Christmas - NOT Bing
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause - little boy
Baby It's Cold Outside - most date-rape sounding version they could find
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause - man sounding like a child
Baby It's Cold Outside - sung by children
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause - is that a chipmunk?
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...yea 'cause I turned off the radio

There are so many beautiful Christmas songs actually about, you know, Christ...why do they play this crud?

bharvey

Postby bharvey » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:54 pm UTC

What you young whippersnappers don't understand is that the reason the graph peaks in the '50s is that we boomers were the last generation on whom Christmas songs were inflicted on the (top 40) radio, because in the '60s we invented good taste! We saved you from Christmas music on the charts! Back then, pre-Fabs, it was grownups who wrote the songs, you know. So don't blame us.

P.S. The only two good Christmas songs ever were written by boomers: "Father Christmas" by the Kinks and "Sock It to Me Santa" by Bob Seger.

AndrewGPaul

Postby AndrewGPaul » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

Traditional? Possibly not, but here's Jingle Bells for a country that has Christmas in midsummer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnJ8jsw4BSo

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:07 pm UTC

salbrech wrote:Does this mean that Christmas is dying in the next 10 years?

Since the same baby boomer traditions have been repeated year after year after year, it is more likely that Christmas will die/transform over the next 60 years or so, 50 plus ~10. Without the baby boomers to keep insisting on the same songs, their kids, grandkids, and great grandkids will continue to request the same songs, but the lack of boomers means the songs aren't as useful in commercials anymore, and they'll gradually get replaced by something more current.

Of course, the environmental devastation caused by damaging alternatives to cheap oil, combined with 20 billion people, will most likely kill off Christmas entirely in a couple decades.

bigjeff5

Postby bigjeff5 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:... I'm not sure if I ever heard Weird Al's "Christmas at Ground Zero" or "The Night Santa Went Crazy" (which is newer) on the radio...

"The Night Santa Went Crazy" is probably my favorite Christmas song of all time. It just makes so much sense. I mean really, he does all this work, even defying the laws of physics, for an occasional cookie and glass of milk? Really? Going postal is just inevitable.

I'm not as fond of Weird Al as I used to be, but that song is still a favorite. I'm singing it in my head right now - machine gunfire, screams, the whole nine yards.

Gamer_2k4

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

I don't know how common this is in other regions, but where I live, two stations play 24/7 Chistmas music: an oldies station and an all-decades mix station. The former does a lot of the classic ones (like you'd see in that Wikipedia page), while the latter has a lot of modern version in addition to the classics. Doesn't it make sense that you'd get a lot of songs from the 40s and 50s with a setup like that?

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

ElectricTurtle wrote:
. . wrote:The music to What Child Is This is based on Greensleeves, probably the oldest song known that still survives!

Greensleeves really isn't that old. Considering the development of the English language itself it can't be much older than Chaucer, if even that old. And it wasn't (known) to have been put to paper before the 16th century. There are plenty of songs written and extant from the Greco-Roman era, though lacking the accompanying music. For written music among the oldest are things like Jieshi Diao Youlan, which was written before Western culture even existed.

And here I was just thinking my favorite Christmas carol (hymn) is a fourth century poem, with music from the tenth century (if not before): "Of the Father's love begotten" by Aurelius Prudentius. And it has six or seven verses.

And I boycott any radio station that plays a Christmas carol before thanksgiving--and let them know why.

Maybe in 50-odd years, when the boomers are gone, the original Christmas spirit will be resurrected.

zephalis wrote:It's funny that Jingle Bells isn't on there.

It's interesting that Jingle Bells is known to most people in the US but how few know that there is 4 verses and that it's the equivalent of 'whoever has the best car gets the girls'.

Also interesting is that the US national anthem also has 3 relatively unknown verses that we never hear...despite hearing some pretty horrid versions before every major sporting event.

I do often sing the four verses of "Jingle Bells" when caroling--and I once learned four verses of the National Anthem . The fourth is the one favored by the military: "O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand, / Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation. . . ."
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

FoxOko

Postby FoxOko » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:00 pm UTC

Azkyroth wrote:
What exactly constitutes a Christmas song? I know plenty of hilarious Christmas songs that have received airtime on our radios back in the 90's.

Anything that has a simplistic, either bouncy or pseudo-contemplative musical tune and lyrics a 5 year old might be proud of having written but would still feel a bit foolish for that nevertheless gets played on endless repeat in retail outlets from the vicinity of Halloween until December 26th or so.

Do you work at Macys too?

project2051

Postby project2051 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:

/quote]

I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, ...

zephalis

Postby zephalis » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

PeepsMcJuggs wrote:

It's interesting that Jingle Bells is known to most people in the US but how few know that there is 4 verses and that it's the equivalent of 'whoever has the best car gets the girls'.

Also interesting is that the US national anthem also has 3 relatively unknown verses that we never hear...despite hearing some pretty horrid versions before every major sporting event.

lets see if i can remember then

dashing through the snow
on a one horse open sleigh
o'er the hills we go
laughing all the way hahaha

bells on bobtail ring
making spirits bright
oh what fun it is to laugh and sing
our sleighing song tonight

ooooh.... (obvious bit)

that's all I can remember.

"A day or two ago
I went out for a ride
And soon Miss Fanny Bright
Was seated by my side.

"The horse was lean and lank
Misfortune seemed his lot
We drifted into a crowded bank
And then we got upsot (what?).

"Oh Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells,
Jingle All the Way!
(I don't know whose playing them bells,
But I wish they'd sound their age...)"

Edit: Okay, it wasn't Duke Ellington :mrgreen: This version was Johnny Mercer...not sure what CD that one was on.

(+2) Quality points for showing another verse...

(-1) for showing a version with uninformed adlibs

Lathe

Postby Lathe » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

Here's an ancient Xmas song from the Old Ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptP0OR-e7rI

Lathe

Postby Lathe » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

I'm surprised that The Twelve Pains of Christmas by Bob Rivers in 1988 didn't make the list. I remember that getting and still getting massive radio airplay since I was a teenager (right up there with "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer".

Bob Rivers has multiple entire albums mocking Xmas with songs like:
  • O Come All Ye Grateful Dead-Heads
  • I Am Santa Claus (sung to tune of "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath)
  • I Came Upon a Roadkill Deer
  • The 'What's It to Ya' Chorus
  • Be Claus I Got High

More info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Rivers

Splanky222

Postby Splanky222 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:27 pm UTC

*puts on Joker make-up, prepares for overused joke*
Why...so...cynical?

NoloPromittere

Postby NoloPromittere » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

BenJPas wrote:There is no song called "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire."

The song that begins with that phrase is called "The Christmas Song."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Christmas_Song

Yes, but no one would recognize it by that name. That's the kind of thing people use in trivia contests to separate the casual players from the professionals.

AlisonY

Postby AlisonY » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:41 pm UTC

Honestly I think he forgot that horribly overplayed song with the line "baby it's cold outside"...i know its not one of the ones listed but last year for four months I had to endure the entire White Christmas soundtrack, 4 versions of Blue Christmas, 3 versions of that baby it's cold outside song, and one or two other missing songs that i thankfully cannot remember...all in all the CD couldn't have had more than 20-25 songs on it, mostly repeats, and by the end I was threatening homicidal violence on my family if any of the songs were played while i was there on Christmas day (including the White Christmas movie - NOT allowed)....

I still dread those songs when i do my holiday shopping but I am SO glad I do not work at that place anymore...the old boss hid the track changing instructions for the Cd before she moved to England or i would have had respite from the torturous playlist....still gives me nightmares....I haven't even put on my Trans Siberian Orchestra stuff yet....!!! over played music is cruel and inhumane! Especially when it's Christmas music!

Xepol

Postby Xepol » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

I would be interested in knowing where "Don't They Know It's Christmas" is in the rankings. Up in Canada, we are subjected to it FAR to regularilly. It would be nice to know it gets less airplay somewhere rather than forgotten as the hellish XMas song it is (in that it contains christmas in the title, and is only played at christmas time and causes shakes, annoyance, and violent urges against your radio)

Donnageddon

Postby Donnageddon » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:Quite worse is the thousand remixes that root from these songs. I heard once in a department store a remix of Lady Gaga's Poker Face except they inserted bits of "Santa Claus in coming to Town". It's jarring especially if you don't like christmas Lady Gaga's songs.

Fixed

Theogrin

Postby Theogrin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

Heavens. Let's see what I can recall from my workplace's overhead playlist right off the bat. Obviously, going to Accentuate the Negative here: there are plenty of perfectly good Christmas songs which I enjoy, especially anything by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (which doesn't get played at all where I work. Tears.) On to the snark!

• Santa Baby: Original by Eartha Kitt, 1953. Oddly, I don't think I've seen this one mentioned yet in this thread. Our workplace includes, played far more often than the original, the version by Madonna, which sounds like she's actively seducing Santa in order to obtain more gifts. Now that's the holiday spirit!
  • Jingle Bells: Written in 1857 by James Lord Pierpont, the version that stands out the most on the overhead is the one with those thrice-accursed MIDI dogs. I don't care whether it's 'kitschy'; I have a 1990 keyboard which sounded better than that.
  • I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus: Originally recorded by Jimmy Boyd, music and lyrics by Tommie Connor, 1952. We have some variants which aren't too bad, but at least one - created by Spike Jones, with a faux-child's voice (George Rock) that grates on the nerves like a Microplane zester with a twist of lime. The song itself is about a child thinking their mother is committing adultery. Lovely!
  • Actually, while we're at it, anything by Spike Jones and George Rock. These include 'All I Want For Christmas', 'The Angel in the Christmas Play', and 'Happy New Year', every one of which is the vocal equivalent of an icepick lovingly inserted into your eardrums and rattled about.
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Originally a story from 1939, written by Johnny Marks and sung by Harry Brannon - then by Gene Autry in 1949. Not a bad song, but lyrically, eesh. Nothing like telling a child that if they're at all different, they're a freak and their life is hopeless - unless they're a useful freak.
  • Frosty the Snowman: 1950, recorded originally by Gene Autry (hey, it's him again!), a song which is actually quite charming and reasonable (for the first fifty times), until you notice that the lyrics are about a creature gaining sentience and sapience for less than a day, with a knowledge of their immediate demise. Might be a call for carpe diem, but it's terribly gruesome.
  • A Chipmunk Christmas: Well... this is 1981, and was ghost-written by the original Ross Bagdasarian Jr. In any event, the songs... yeah, these need no snark. Please send them away now.
  • And, of course, last but not least:
  • Dominick the Donkey: ... can die in a fire. Can be thrown on the pyre of songs that should never have been written, should never have been performed, and should depart this world, along with Richard Allen, Sam Saltzberg, and Lou Monte (who produced it in 1960), to serve their masters in the darkest pits of Hades.

... not that I'm bitter. We the undersigned profusely apologize for any offense which may have been given by the above. But let's face it, if you work retail, you know why I hate.
A while ago I decided that the best way to progress through life was to do something new every day. Unfortunately, I got bored of that a few days later.

BrianB

Postby BrianB » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

jonadab wrote:...

In any case, people under the age of forty use portable audio players, so radio is fairly irrelevant for us.

B.S. You assume that because you are affluent enough to use MP3 players, that everyone in GenX, Millenials, etc. use MP3 players.

There are a lot of people who listen to the radio, from babies to baby boomers. It may be down percentage-wise, but it's not insignificant nor non-existent.

Kynaeus

Postby Kynaeus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:23 pm UTC

What, no Christmas Waltz? What a fantastic song, especially the one by She & Him. The only other xmas music I vaguely like is the Nutcracker (no annoying brats can cover this) and the Barenaked Ladies holiday soundtrack because they came up with some new stuff instead of just covering old songs.

jjsavage

Postby jjsavage » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:58 am UTC

I was just wondering today why the 1950's had a monopoly on Christmas... How did he know what was in my head?

pbnjstowell

Postby pbnjstowell » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:47 am UTC

At my work, it's radio or nothing. Even though I own an mp3 player.

And because of the unfortunate location of my office in relation to the only good radio station in the area, and the cheapness of my radio (or me), I have to listen to the Christmas Station (top 40's during the rest of the year) or nothing at all. Any idea why they play the soothing stuff right after lunch, when you most want a nap?

I'm just glad I don't work in the mall during Christmas anymore - you could set your watch by what song was playing when.

PS.
Kynaeus wrote:The only other xmas music I vaguely like is the Nutcracker (no annoying brats can cover this)...

In my christmas collection, I think I have Mannheim Steamroller, Les Brown, The Carpenters and Brian Setzer each doing their variations.
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:17 am UTC

Fairytale of New York (uncensored, of course) is also popular here in Australia, although I don't know if they play it on the radio so much as on TV.

Our anthem has 1 extra fairly-known but never sung verse, and 2 extra unknown verses. They're never played because they basically amount to 'we love kissing England's ass'.

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:58 am UTC

AndrewGPaul wrote:Traditional? Possibly not, but here's Jingle Bells for a country that has Christmas in midsummer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnJ8jsw4BSo

The line "esky in the boot" has always bugged me about that version, because what kind of "rusty holden ute" has a boot? But I found out the other day that Colin Buchanan came up with those lyrics at the last minute for a TV appearance, so I guess I can forgive it now.

But there's really only one Australian christmas song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb4YWJgfmQE

Kartoffelkopf wrote:Our anthem has 1 extra fairly-known but never sung verse, and 2 extra unknown verses. They're never played because they basically amount to 'we love kissing England's ass'.

That's not entirely accurate: The Australian national anthem has two verses (The one everyone remembers, and the second one that begins "Beneath our radiant southern cross"). The song "Advance Australia Fair" has three more (plus it didn't originally have the second verse of the official anthem). Those three aren't a part of the national anthem for the reasons you mention.

Having a national anthem that amounted to "we love that other country over there" would be even more inappropriate than "watch out for us, we'll steal your livestock and then commit suicide".

jimhsu

Postby jimhsu » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:13 am UTC

bonzerinc wrote:A Charlie Brown Christmas, Vince Guaraldi.

I'll vote that as "most listenable" here as well. Currently digging the alternative rendition of Greensleeves on the remaster - not often you hear a decent bossanova-inspired mix for a Christmas song. Christmas Time is Here (the non-vocal edition) and several other things are decent as well.

AlgaeSea

Postby AlgaeSea » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:29 am UTC

I have always wished the Red Clay Ramblers Hot Buttered Rum (by the late Tommy Thompson) would get air play at xmas time. It is not a xmas song per se but it does mention xmas. It is more a winter song and it is beautiful (though some might find it a little sad).

I can't do links but you will find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVwqmNveUaY

Lyrics:

When chimney smoke hangs still and low across the stubbled fields of snow
And angry skies reach down and seize the sorry blackened bones of trees
In the dead of winter when the silent snowbirds come
You're my sweet maple sugar,honey, hot buttered rum

When dreary Christmas decorations line the streets and filling stations
And dime store Santas can't disguise their empty hands and empty eyes
In the dead of winter when the tinsel angels come
You're my sweet maple sugar, honey, hot buttered rum

When gloves and boots and woolen parkas bring cold comfort to the heart
And bitter memories freeze the tongue and words of love are left unsung
In the dead of winter when the cold feelings come
You're my sweet maple sugar, honey, hot buttered rum
Last edited by AlgaeSea on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”