0903: "Extended Mind"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

webgrunt

Re: 0903: "Extended Mind"

Postby webgrunt » Thu May 26, 2011 6:59 pm UTC

ckbryant wrote:Perhaps worth noting is that "Philosophy" itself leads in a ring to "Philosophy," as follows:

Philosophy
Existence
Sense
Organism
Biology
Natural_science
Science
Knowledge
Fact
Information
Sequence
Mathematics
Quantity
Property_(philosophy)
Modern_philosophy
Philosophy

So any of the fifteen pages in this ring might have an equally legitmate claim to be the "fundamental" Wikipedia reference. As a group, you could think of them as constituting the Wikipedia Reference Event Horizion.

As an emprical matter, we might ask which of these items is the most common point of entry into the whirlpool. I suspect "natural science" would prove to be the winner.

Maybe there's more to this. This may show in some fuzzy way that some core concepts form the foundation of our awareness. Or not, it's all good.

Atrytone

Postby Atrytone » Thu May 26, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

All 6 random articles that I've tried so far have led to Philosophy by the method in the alt-text in less than 30 clicks.

My record is "Haifa bus 37 suicide bombing" which only took 10 :D

minrk

Postby minrk » Thu May 26, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

In case anyone is interested, here's a ruby script that will visit random pages, and track the first-link path to Philosophy. It tries to follow the described pattern of excluding parentheticals and italics, but I don't know how solid it is in that regard.

https://gist.github.com/993842

example output:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2064023/xkcd903-tree.svg

It uses mechanize for walking the links, RGL for the graph, and graphviz for drawing the graph

Real Ruby programmers: I apologize if the script is horrible (I assume it is). I'm brand new to ruby, and I do silly things like this as a way to learn the language.

tstone7221

Postby tstone7221 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

who's got the python script? I have little to zero programming skills, but someone out here knows how to pump out some code in 15 minutes that will start checking every wikipedia article. I want to see a graph of every article's distance to philosophy. Get cracking, programmers!

dragontologist

Postby dragontologist » Thu May 26, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

Easy example of a loop: Numerary -> Supernumerary -> Numerary

frogger4

Postby frogger4 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

Hilarious comic. The alt text I found intriguing, so I tested it on 16 random articles and traced them ALL to philosophy, and made the chart shown below. Also, shows Philosophy back to Philosophy in a lighter green. Although this is a small sample, there are some pretty cool trends (especially how many things link through Science). The image links to a pdf, hope you find this as interesting as me.

edit: Whoops can't post images. So the pdf is linked at https://sites.google.com/site/frogger40/Home/wikipediaphilosophy.pdf

hope I don't get banned for posting a relevant link :?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu May 26, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

2003 Invasion of Iraq ==> Iraq War ==> 2003 Invasion of Iraq

EnigmaMTC

Postby EnigmaMTC » Thu May 26, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

Could we find another chain of articles that attracts links such as this "philosophy" one?

fulvius

Postby fulvius » Thu May 26, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

Lol I was all excited to log on and share with everybody that my random article eventually linked to philosophy too, but there was plenty of that sharing on the first page, so I didn't even read the other 12 ;)

I wonder how many people are reading this... three? Thanks for reading!

At any rate, I think the reason for this happening (which has probably already been hashed out here in an earlier post) is that there's a tendenccy for larger and more general articles to be linked more often, especially near the beginning of articles where the general characteristics and classification of the topic are given. Therefore it's natural that by moving to more and more general classifications of subject, the user will eventually end up in the natural sciences and philosophy.

...or an endless loop.

GabrielEsquire

Postby GabrielEsquire » Thu May 26, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

I started at Archduke Ferdinand and got to Philosophy in 34 steps. Tropes to Tropes (Literature) in 16 steps. 11 steps from Microsoft. 23 steps from Jesus Christ. 10 steps from Pandora Radio. 18 steps from High School. 13 steps from Ice. 17 steps from Vanilla Ice. 23 steps from Vanilla Sky. 17 Steps from Tom Cruise. 18 steps from Charlie Sheen. 17 steps from Dada Art. 18 steps from Nebuchadnezzar II. 12 steps from Pirates of the Caribbean. 22 steps from Devil.

Interestingly enough, Jewelery leads to a closed 2 step loop: Jewelry -> Brooches -> Jewelry ...

DJBruce

Postby DJBruce » Thu May 26, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

Ironically xkcd does not reach philosophy, but instead becomes stuck in a loop. :wink:

HanSolo

Postby HanSolo » Thu May 26, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

I found that for all following starting articles I ended up in a loop about Greek, Greeks and Greek Language:

Chobits (Manga)
Leo (Constellation)
Sub-Atomic Particle
Ghostbusters
Cheese
AutoCAD
Soulcalibur
XKCD

Not once did I end up at Philosophy =(

Vellup

Postby Vellup » Thu May 26, 2011 9:21 pm UTC

Most of these 'counterexamples' are coming from the alt text simply not being specific enough. What the conditions should say are "any link not in parentheses, italics or bold." The majority of counterexamples come from people clicking on the bold (or box) links. In reality, I haven't seen one anomaly that arises from clicking on any link that is just made out of plain text.

GabrielEsquire

Re: #903: Extended MInd

Postby GabrielEsquire » Thu May 26, 2011 9:38 pm UTC

Stratis wrote:DOG! If you start at dog, you eventually get into a loop around physical qualities. Although, you get very close, when philosopher is the second link on one page.

Dog>gray wolf>Canidae>biological family>biological classification>biologists>scientist>systematic>elements>mathematics>quantity>property>modern philosophy>philosophy

rembear

Postby rembear » Thu May 26, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

Not sure if anyone has pointed this one out yet, but the article for Pink (the singer) leads to an endless loop bouncing from Pink to her first single "There You Go". That also means that any article that links to Pink will also get into a loop. I'm also curious about the longest ones. The longest way to philosophy I've found is George Berkeley, which is 40 links long. I find it interesting that Philosophy will also get you to philosophy. Meaning that it is basically the central loop of wikipedia and all other articles just feed into it. Expect Pink and a few others.

mfb

Postby mfb » Thu May 26, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:We should totally make an application which scrapes all the first links in all wikipedia articles and finds all the loops and then determines what percentage of articles are directed to each loop. For science. And so we know how correct/incorrect Randall is.

That, in fact, is the only way to get something more then "wow, that article does go to the philosophy-loop, too!".
And it should not be done in the english wikipedia, as that was manipulated two times now (2008 and 2011).

For any given time t, a given wikipedia language and some fixed set of rules how to follow links:
You can eliminate dead ends by defining that these articles link to itself, so every article will lead to a loop.
There could be only one loop in the whole wikipedia, then every article would lead to that. But in a general case, there are more loops.
Then, you can label these loops and divide the whole set of wikipedia articles in subsets, where each article in the subset ends in the same loop.

These subsets have a well-defined structure, you can plot them as a central loop and ingoing lines from other articles linking to an article in the loop (or from articles linking to articles linking to the loop and so on).

The distribution of the size of these subsets is an interesting thing... I think that you will always find few really big ones (with mathematics, physics, ..., philosophy, language and other basic things inside) and a large number of small ones, maybe just a loop of 2-3 articles with ~5-10 articles going to that loop.

That is not restricted to wikipedia, of course. You can do it with every website, with the whole www (ok, will be difficult to map the whole visible www at one fixed moment t before any links change ;)), with any finite set of natural numbers and a function mapping them on itself, ...
If the set is not finite (like the natural numbers), these loops can transform to infinite series without repetition, and there can be an infinite number of these... but it is possible to define similar structures there.

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Thu May 26, 2011 10:58 pm UTC

ckbryant wrote:Perhaps worth noting is that "Philosophy" itself leads in a ring to "Philosophy," as follows:

Philosophy
Existence
Sense
Organism
Biology
Natural_science
Science
Knowledge
Fact
Information
Sequence
Mathematics
Quantity
Property_(philosophy)
Modern_philosophy
Philosophy

When the comic came out it was a smaller loop, much smaller (3 pages, actually).

At the time of this post, it's smaller again.

Philosophy
Existence
Sense
Perception
Awareness
Consciousness
Mind
Panpsychism
Philosophy

handendrika

Postby handendrika » Fri May 27, 2011 12:06 am UTC

"Handkerchief code" puts you into a loop after four links. "Gay" is only two.

Kjervar

Postby Kjervar » Fri May 27, 2011 12:43 am UTC

"Physics" leads to a 3 part loop, "doctor who" and "Towel" both lead to this loop. I'm curious if different groups of people (that is people who don't like xkcd as much as they like something completely different) would start with something that won't lead to mathematics and then to philosophy like most articles the people interested enough in xkcd to be on the forum will try.

meerta

Postby meerta » Fri May 27, 2011 12:52 am UTC

The fact that the route to philosophy is often through mathematical concepts (from many articles, excluding loops, which you can easily hop over) is a sign that a lot of terms on Wikipedia are hyperlinked inappropriately.

Eg. From "result", which is not in only a mathematical concept by any stretch, we go to "sequence", because a result is a final consequence of a sequence of actions. "Sequence" however is a purely mathematical article, so hyperlinking from "result" distorts the meaning of the initial definition of result.

(Then it's mathematics-quantity-structure-property-modern philosophy-philosophy. (I began with the featured article Ernst Lindemann, hopping over the "high-context culture/low-context culture loop.)

Wikipedia is carrying an unconscious Pythagorean agenda.

Kjervar

Postby Kjervar » Fri May 27, 2011 12:57 am UTC

Ooops I clicked the wrong thing physics leads to philosophy like everything else. However, the wikipedia page for gender leads to male which leads to gender again I don't know of any pages that link to that chain in many steps though so it looks like except for these few tiny circles the only real endpoint is Philosophy

banjo2E

Postby banjo2E » Fri May 27, 2011 2:00 am UTC

Vellup wrote:Most of these 'counterexamples' are coming from the alt text simply not being specific enough. What the conditions should say are "any link not in parentheses, italics or bold." The majority of counterexamples come from people clicking on the bold (or box) links. In reality, I haven't seen one anomaly that arises from clicking on any link that is just made out of plain text.

I believe I have found another loophole for you.

Starting at Schizophrenic (album) and ignoring all italic, parenthesized, and template box links, the first-link chain eventually leads...to Wiktionary. Specifically, to wiktionary:event from Causality.

...Oh, no, wait. Continuing the same rules on Wiktionary gets you quite shortly back on Wikipedia on IPA chart for English, which...eventually leads to Philosophy :/

Man, even when you leave Wikipedia, you can't escape...

Lyserg.Z

Postby Lyserg.Z » Fri May 27, 2011 2:08 am UTC

Following the rules, ignoring boxes (although I did try with them sometimes) and ignoring the fact that some members of this forum made edits to make sure this happens rule is apploed in some articles where it previously wasn't, the only loop I got was from Low context culture ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_context_culture ) to High context culture ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_context_culture ), although it should be noted that both these words are in quotation marks ('low context culture').

AlexanderRM

Postby AlexanderRM » Fri May 27, 2011 2:48 am UTC

sargeras0000 wrote:The alt text is incorrect. There are several articles ("computer software" and "oral history" for instance) that will trap you in loops.

Eh? I went to Oral History and got to Philosophy quite quickly. Oral History -> History -> Information -> Sequence -> Mathematics -> Quantity -> Property (philosophy) -> Modern Philosophy -> Philosophy. Computer_software... I'm not going to write out the whole sequence, but it eventually got to "Information" and from there was of course the same pattern.

Vellup

Postby Vellup » Fri May 27, 2011 2:49 am UTC

Lyserg.Z wrote:the only loop I got was from Low context culture ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_context_culture ) to High context culture ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_context_culture ), although it should be noted that both these words are in quotation marks ('low context culture').

That could actually be a typo or error. On Wikipedia and Wikia, you bold, italicize or underline text based on how many single-dash quotes you put around a relevant word.
Honorable clean-upper of the (always in progress) Magi-Nation Wiki.

goyesg

Postby goyesg » Fri May 27, 2011 3:33 am UTC

I found a loop, starting from "situated learning" I eventually came to "English Pronunciation Key" which went to "Wiktionary:International Phonetic Alphabet" which linked back to "English Pronunciation Key".

LtNOWIS

Postby LtNOWIS » Fri May 27, 2011 3:37 am UTC

That's because an unregistered user from California removed the parentheses around high and low culture in each article, creating the loop. Any article that goes through Western Europe lead into that loop. It's not vandalism, because parentheses or no parentheses are equally valid. But other game-related edits made made by the same IP address are definitely vandalism.

traintendo

Postby traintendo » Fri May 27, 2011 4:43 am UTC

The Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal challenge of reaching "sexual intercourse" from any other wikipedia article in the shortest number of links inspired me to start from "sexual intercourse" and reach philosophy following the advice of this comic. Happily, I found that it can be accomplished by 14 simple clicks. Or 13 if you count "modern philosophy" as equivalent to the entirety of philosophy.

As always, philosophy and sexuality are inextricably linked! Yay beer!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 27, 2011 5:02 am UTC

What I take home from this is that TVTropes is more fun than Wikipedia.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

MathGirl

Postby MathGirl » Fri May 27, 2011 5:05 am UTC

Saskatchewan quickly sent me into a loop but barbecue success!

Barbecue>Australia>Southern Hemisphere>Earth>Planet>orbit>physics>natural science>science>knowledge>fact>information>sequence>mathematics...

Y'all know the rest.

Vellup

Postby Vellup » Fri May 27, 2011 5:21 am UTC

MathGirl wrote:Saskatchewan quickly sent me into a loop but barbecue success!

Saskatchewan > prairie province > region > Provinces and territories > world's second-largest country > Sovereign state > state > social sciences > fields > knowledge > facts > information > sequence > mathematics > quantity > property > modern philosophy > philosophy.

This seems off to me somehow though. It seems odd how well this trend seems to hold--and on something so easily vandalized no less.
Honorable clean-upper of the (always in progress) Magi-Nation Wiki.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri May 27, 2011 6:32 am UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
ConMan wrote:Also, just like the people who want to name this game after Randall or xkcd are missing the fact that it appeared on Reddit some time ago...

The fact that other causes also exist doesn't eliminate the fact that any time xkcd mentions a Wikipedia article, we immediately see a spike in vandalism to that article. Frankly, it gets pretty old pretty quick for those of us actually working on the encyclopedia.

Agreed. And I'm kind of scared by that blog that tracks the endless attempts to link xkcd in every article on a topic vaguely mentioned in the comic. I'd thought it was a lot closer to the Colbert thing (in that I'm pretty sure - but also potentially blissfully unaware - that the articles of American politicians don't normally get filled with everything Stephen Colbert says about them, but as soon as he mentions Wikipedia it will be edited as per his whim).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

ExistentialBanana

Postby ExistentialBanana » Fri May 27, 2011 6:54 am UTC

I tried this and it worked perfectly for two random articles. It seems that once you hit anything mathematic, philosophy is bound to come in the next three pages (at the very least)

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri May 27, 2011 11:16 am UTC

Her is my list:

James Flynn (fencer)
Fencing
Historical European martial arts
Neologism
Greek language
Greeks
Nation
Sovereign state
State (polity)
Social sciences
List of academic disciplines
Academia
Community
Interaction
Causality
Event
Observable
Physics
Natural science
Science
Knowledge
Fact
Information
Sequence
Mathematics
Quantity
Property (philosophy)
Modern philosophy
Philosophy

Dangerously close a couple of times (greeks, academia, causality, physics etc.) before finally making it.

superotterman

Postby superotterman » Fri May 27, 2011 12:11 pm UTC

Fixed the loop between "deficit" and "primary deficit" by changing the regular text "money" in the "deficit" article to a link. It now leads to "Philosophy."

wolfticket

Postby wolfticket » Fri May 27, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

superotterman wrote:Fixed the loop between "deficit" and "primary deficit" by changing the regular text "money" in the "deficit" article to a link. It now leads to "Philosophy."

I think you may have missed the point. The interesting thing is that is happens naturally. It's not the "lets make everything get to Philosophy" game.

BeagleFury

Postby BeagleFury » Fri May 27, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

wolfticket wrote:
superotterman wrote:Fixed the loop between "deficit" and "primary deficit" by changing the regular text "money" in the "deficit" article to a link. It now leads to "Philosophy."

I think you may have missed the point. The interesting thing is that is happens naturally. It's not the "lets make everything get to Philosophy" game.

I think you are mistaken. It appears, if one digs, that this "natural" tendency to get to philosophy was an artificial bias by a select number of people (I'm sure if you do an analysis on the edits, you'll probably find the offending accounts. THAT game sounds a whole lot more fun than the silly philosophy game..) It has been in play for a while now; hence, the reason why it would lead to the 'game' happening. When you have someone artificially rigging biased links for a few months, you should easily realize why this game works so often, yielding high probability of giving you the intended results.

I suspect you could pick any wiki subject, and with seemingly innoculous edits, make a vast majority of pages end up at that subject. It's not hard, you just have to find the right pivot pages, and find a suitable association/word to link in the intro paragraph. Not sure why people would find this fun, except for a round or two of rolling the eyes and chuckles it might generate. After the third or fourth time, it simply becomes old.

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Fri May 27, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

Found a HUGE path that gets to Philosophy.

Starting at Towel Day...

Towel Day
Tribute
Duress
Jurisprudence
Theory (oh so close, 2nd link was Philosophy)
Ancient Greek (apparently Greek reaches Philosophy now)
Greek language
Greeks
Nation
Sovereign state
State (polity)
Social sciences
List of academic disciplines
Academia (it was in bold, but the rules don't refer to bold words, officially, only italics--I did skip "boxed" words though)
Community
Interaction (which has a, get this, Red Link disambiguation link at the top!)
Causality
Event
Observable
Physics
Natural science
Science
Knowledge
Fact
Information
Sequence
Mathematics
Quantity
Property (philosophy)
Modern philosophy
Philosophy

Only 31, not a record breaker. But still fairly significant.

Sabin

Postby Sabin » Fri May 27, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

wolfticket wrote:

There is nothing natural about Wikipedia.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Fri May 27, 2011 4:54 pm UTC

Hey, wow, I just discovered something: If you pick a random Wikipedia article, and click the first link in it, and keep doing that, you'll eventually get to "Philosophy"!
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”