⋘ Rules for 'Individual XKCD Comic Threads' ⋙

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Since This Fora's Overhaul, I Find Felstaff To Be

Super Awesome
19%
Somewhat Obsessive Compulsive, But Still Super Awesome
15%
Regular Awesome (Like, Say, Hotdogs Or Exploding Stars)
12%
Tyrannical, A Synonym For Awesome
16%
A Hunk Of Pure Rugged Manlicious Energy
19%
I Can't Find The Negative Option Which Means I'm Thinking Somewhere Between Option 1 And 3
19%

Total votes: 343

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

⋘ Rules for 'Individual XKCD Comic Threads' ⋙

Postby Felstaff » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:00 pm UTC

Want to comment on a comic but don't want to go wading through pages to find it?

1. Either go here
  2. Or do this:
    order.png
    You'll find me at the bottom of the page!
    order.png (3.51 KiB) Viewed 127441 times

Both options show you the list of comic threads in chronological order, starting from Comic 1.

Threads for nearly all comics already exist and are easily searchable. All old comics without a thread... probably don't deserve a new one, but if you must, and have something damn thrilling to say, no-one's stopping you.

RULES

1. Abide by the General Rules
  2. This forum is only for Randall Munroe's comics as posted on xkcd.com. Aside from the guest comic thread, there is no reason to post anything else.
  3. Have a question you feel could be answered in this forum? Look here first, then read the rules of the forum.
  4. Starting a thread for anything other than a new comic is pointless; it will get deleted.
  5. If you come across something that doesn't belong in this forum, don't reply to it; report it. It's most likely it'll be dealt with in 24 hours
  6. Don't be a dick. I cannot stress this enough.
  7. 'Randall get out of my head' posts get you laughed at in other sections of the forum. It's probably best you don't register just to post how you were only thinking about [subject of comic] the other day. Then again, if you are registering just to post that, you'll probably neglect to read this. Everyone else; it's our little secret
  8. Hammer says don't reply to spam posts. Report them instead. Srsly.

RULES FOR POSTING A NEW COMIC'S THREAD

Much as we all think it's silly, it's apparently important to you guys to be the 'first to post the new comic', so if you do get a warm tingly sense of pride from being the guy who gets the thread up first, then you have my gentle sympathy. But nonetheless follow the rules:

1. Title subject should always be: ####: "Comic Name"
    [DIGIT][DIGIT][DIGIT][DIGIT][COLON][SPACE][QUOTATION MARK][COMIC NAME][QUOTATION MARK]
  2. See the title of every other thread for clues. Note capitalisation, correct spelling, etc. and include quotation marks! This is purely for aesthetic reasons. I am an aesthetic paerson.
  3. Use the following code for the image:

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.xkcd.com/###][img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/comic_name.png[/img][/url]
    where ### is the three-digit number of the comic, at least until Randall reaches comic #1000. You'll also notice that it means you can click on the comic to take you to the correct webpage.
  4. If you are unsure or unconfident about using BBCode... don't start a new thread. Someone else will within a minute of you, it seems.
  5. Write the title-text below. This is the text that pops up when you 'mouse-over' the comic.
  6. Provide some commentary below. This is a discussion after all... No point in just posting what's on the front page of xkcd.com and providing nothing else of value
  7. Don't start a blank thread just to be first. Not only is it a tiny bit pathetic, it's also annoying. Complete your thread before submitting it.
  8. If duplicates are made, only reply to the earliest one posted. The duplicates will be ruthlessly merged at some point, with no consideration given to disrupting the flow of conversation (hence why several threads have whiners going "waaaaah why are people posting in this thread and not the other?!").

Index:
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

DVC

Re: ⇱ Rules for "Individual XKCD Comic Threads"

Postby DVC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:55 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
    Each comic is correctly numbered, and all duplicates are removed. Threads for all comics above ~113 already exist and are easily searchable. Do not create new threads for any old comics >100. All comics under 100... probably don't deserve a new thread, but if you must... just don't spam the forums or w/evs.

The changes are cool. But does this mean comics between 100 and 113 that don't exist can never be created? That makes me sad. :(

Altered the lingo a bit. There's no ban on creating threads for old comics, it's just unlikely to be worth it, unless you've got a killer discussable point to make ~Fafstaff

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:39 am UTC

The lingo still says "Do not create new threads for any old comics >100." So why can we create threads that don't already exist for 1-100 (however discouraged it is), but not for 100-113?

Sentence removed. The spirit of the message is "whilst it's within the rules to post a new thread for an old comic, doing so without good cause will fill me with a certain ire and I may have to resort to an interesting and curious untested method of inflicting blunt trauma, hopefully involving a comically oversized mallet and a recording of "Yakkity Sax""
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

Vir4030

Postby Vir4030 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

You did something to make the extra space above and below the name of this thread on the thread index page for this board. Because of this, when you are viewing this thread, you cannot click on the "Board Index", "The Comic", or "Individual XKCD Comic Threads" links above or the Moderators links below the title.

Please fix.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

The problem is on your end and would be better served in Site & Forum Issues, not a rules thread.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Mon May 09, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Can I request a policy that, in the event of multiple threads, the first one that follows the rules is the one that stays?
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

doggitydogs

Postby doggitydogs » Wed May 25, 2011 1:58 am UTC

Why only four digits? Even if Randall is 30 now, he should still be alive to publish the 10,000th comic on July 8, 2069... and, assuming that he passes the tradition on to his descendants, the 100,000th will be published on June 21, 2644... assuming the Internet still exists then.

Unfortunately, the 1,000,000th comic won't be published for 6,382.68 more years, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to start worrying about seven digits just yet. Besides, the androids will just go in and add some extra zeroes to the old threads...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Can I request a policy that, in the event of multiple threads, the first one that follows the rules is the one that stays?

I'm debating a policy wherein the OP of the thread is replaced by me just to kill the "FIRST" mindset.

I should probably talk to the other mods before doing something that silly.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Can I request a policy that, in the event of multiple threads, the first one that follows the rules is the one that stays?

I'm debating a policy wherein the OP of the thread is replaced by me just to kill the "FIRST" mindset.

what if there were a user created specifically for that purpose? "StripBot" if you will.

if you did that, you'd probably have to outlaw any "discussion starting" in the OP, though right?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

Actually, if I had my way, everyone who started a comic thread would be banned for a week. You get the first post - Wonderful! See you next week! That way, the poster has to think really, really really hard about what they're about to say and if it's worth saying.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:26 pm UTC

SexyTalon wrote:

what if there were a user created specifically for that purpose? "StripBot" if you will.

if you did that, you'd probably have to outlaw any "discussion starting" in the OP, though right?

This idea is brought up in S/FI and subsequently facestabbed by davean every few months.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Judah

Postby Judah » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

Ugh, I can tolerate people who use words like "fora" if they know how to use them, but "this fora" is pretentious ignorance.

(This comment really ought to have been left by the guy above me.)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:00 pm UTC

Judah wrote:but "this fora" is pretentious ignorance.

Thank you, Ted, that was the joke.

Perringaiden

Postby Perringaiden » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:10 am UTC

Any chance the What-If threads can be broken into their own forum so that we can sort by Subject Descending and get the latest comic thread, and another forum (or fora *smack* git, sorry about that) for What If that can do the same?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Bam.

I suppose you could thank Belial for setting all of it up. But I'll take credit for it. I did just link to it, after all.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Flumble

Postby Flumble » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

I thank you for letting us know it was Belial who has done this great deed and I thank you in advance for passing these thanks on to Belial, for you are a good and kind messenger.

On another note: judging by the number format of the what-if topics, Randall is supposed to keep doing this for at least the next 18 years. Well, good luck with that. (on the other hand the numbering of the comic topics allows for 56 years of thrice-a-week updating)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”