0745: "Dyslexics"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

baltakatei

Re: "Dyslexics" Discussion

Postby baltakatei » Wed May 26, 2010 7:27 am UTC

mszegedy wrote:
oxy wrote:
mszegedy wrote:I think this was done in the six minutes it took to upload the comic. I mean, I don't even get the joke. What are they supposed to be untying that makes this joke funny? Their shoes? Their bras?

Oh yeah, and way to offend another minority group, Randall.

How is this offensive? I'm dyslexic and I find it hilarious.

I dunno. I'm not dyslexic. If he wrote a comic like this about Asperger's Syndrome, colorblindedness, OCD, or paranoid schizophrenia, I'd be offended.

Yes, I have Asperger's Sydrome and OCD, and am also colorblind (only in my left eye, strangely) and schizophrenic. Yet I manage to ACT perfectly normal.

Color-blind in one eye? That's so cool! Is it like the saturation of one eyes video feed is bumped down? (I never thought that you could test what a colorblind person would see since I never considered that the genes responsible for colorblindness could be switched on one eye and switched off in the other...)

As for tonight's comic.... meh.

LordBritish

Postby LordBritish » Wed May 26, 2010 8:00 am UTC

I had a hard time understanding the joke. I tried to find a spelling error in the T-Shirt text and found none (I looked up Dyslexics in Wikipedia cause I was not sure)
I never saw the "untie" version so far. Either I do not get out a lot or I my dyslexia is making me reading "untie" as "unite" all the time... hmm
In vacuum, you are no longer a sucker.

now to something completely different: http://demesos.blogspot.com

tictactictac

Postby tictactictac » Wed May 26, 2010 8:09 am UTC

waah it took half an hour for me to get the joke, but now it's funny :p

A'Tuin

Postby A'Tuin » Wed May 26, 2010 8:11 am UTC

Come on !
Stop arguing about how offensive or PC this is and just enjoy it. Its not like Randell is pointing out anything shameful, or trying to make dyslexics look stupid. Its a fact most of us SUCK as spelling. (my spell check has just caught about five words miss spelt already in this).

Look there is a difference between laughing at someone if a 'Problem' (I wont say disability because I want to make it even more general). Its the difference between laughing with us or at us. My reaction to Randell joke was simple its was just "Yeah, he gets it".

So just chill out and relax.

P.S
I am dyslexic, dyspractic, and pretty deaf.

[EDIT]
P.P.S
We should have a dyslexic sub forum on here, there seem to be enough us, where spelling and grammer are optional :-P

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed May 26, 2010 8:28 am UTC

I find it funny, but for a completely different reason. The ubiquity of the 'untie' joke made me parse that word as 'untie', and it took a good few seconds before I realised it did, indeed, say 'unite'. The joke is on me, and I like it.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

oddtail

Postby oddtail » Wed May 26, 2010 8:35 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:I find it funny, but for a completely different reason. The ubiquity of the 'untie' joke made me parse that word as 'untie', and it took a good few seconds before I realised it did, indeed, say 'unite'. The joke is on me, and I like it.

I had the same reaction. Heck, the moment I opened the page I went "it's just... impossible this stupid, tired joke would be done on xkcd". Then I carefully read the text and, only then, realised that I'd parsed the T-shirt text wrong.

Also, I like the alt text.

Makri

Postby Makri » Wed May 26, 2010 8:37 am UTC

Wait a moment, am I just stupid or did he overdo it in the alt-text? There's three nested doing it wrongs there. So the innermost one would be that of the original joke, i.e. writing UNTIE instead of "unite", no? And then the next one would be doing that wrong, so writing UNITE. And then the third one would change it back to UNTIE, which isn't what it found in the comic and which would, furthermore, be completely unfunny.

The three doing it wrongs could be saved by putting "failing at" in front, though.
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

reegee

Postby reegee » Wed May 26, 2010 8:42 am UTC

Bwahahaha ha!! that is hilarious! (Had to read it a few times just to make sure it said what I thought tho)
I'm dyslexic and I *hate* those jokes!!!! They are so lame.. This on the other hand is incredibly cleaver!! Nice one Randal!

There are so many Dyslexics on here I wonder if the logic of computers appeals more to us? Or my personal favourite explanation.. Dyslexia is nature’s way of dulling genius down so that we fit in to normal society. (This is a joke people don't go psycho on me now!)

BTW I've also done this. I ran a quiz night and one team called themselves the Dyslexic Brians.. I of course corrected what I thought was my own mistake to Brains. :-)

P.S. I WANT this shirt!!!
"Well the product works first time 60% of the time"

Buddha with a bra on

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Wed May 26, 2010 8:51 am UTC

Oddly (or not really, Iunno) Dyslexia Untied was one name being considered for the football team I play in.
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

dawolf

Postby dawolf » Wed May 26, 2010 9:16 am UTC

Troger64 wrote:
coredumperror wrote:I'm probably just dumb, but where's the joke in this comic? I simply don't see any sort of punchline whatsoever.

I'm going to assume you're being serious
and possibly look like a prick-know-it-all-who-uses-too-many-hyphens

there is a joke stating
"Dyslexics of the world, untie"
where it is someone with Dyslexia making the shirt, so the obvious mistake of "UnITe" becoming "UnTIe" (capitalized for emphasis)

this joke is funny because the person with Dyslexia was trying to make said joke and accidentally reversed the curse and made it the correct way
it's funny because it's totally bass-ackwards and possibly trying to satirize the way that you see the stupid "UNTIE" joke EVERYWHERE

Edit: Teal Deer: Joke is funny because it's backwards

Thank you. I've never heard the "untie" joke either.

Karilyn

Postby Karilyn » Wed May 26, 2010 9:19 am UTC

People who are complaining about how offensive it is and who aren't even dyslexic.

Seriously? Come on now. It's almost impossible to do something offensive to dyslexics because jeeze, it's possibly the most minor medical condition in existence. Sure it sucks trying to learn to read, and maintaining the correct spelling on words. But it's hardly a debilitating condition. Not to mention that any dyslexic person who is actually attempting to type and spell correctly tend to vastly exceed the writing skills of your average internet user (Example: See every person with dyslexia in this thread).

Now this is an offensive joke...
Spoiler:
What do spinach and anal sex have in common? If you were forced to have it as a kid, you'll hate it as an adult.
Gawd it's so terrible even I'm obligated to laugh about it. Oh well. Laughter is the best cure.
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

Mekmek

Postby Mekmek » Wed May 26, 2010 9:34 am UTC

hexalm wrote:
Spoiler:
Personally I dislike when people make jokes about X group, and avoid doing it myself--but I don't necessarily find them offensive, per se, and generally laugh if they're funny, though I might check myself afterward. However, reducing groups of people to jokes generally just marginalizes them and jokes about different conditions tend to propagate misunderstanding them. There's evidence to suggest making jokes about groups of people isn't as harmless as it's tempting to think, including a recent study on sexist jokes.

When white guys (including myself) say "I don't see what the fuss is about" when someone in X group is offended by a joke (it's just a joke, guys!), there's a good chance it's because we don't put up with the same prejudice and other institutional crap as people in various minority and vulnerable groups, and therefore fail to understand--the failure is usually ours, not the people who are in the groups being made light of who are offended. It's a matter of privilege to be in a position to say that the person who is hurt by the joke is at fault, and not the joker (I think Batman is one white male who is excepted from this, btw--it's better for him to assume the joker did it). It's basically victim-blaming.

Jokes about X group aren't made in a vacuum, and then people happen to come by and happen to encounter it and independently decide whether they will be offended. They usually come about because someone thinks X group is funny or ridiculous already--then the ridiculing follows suit.

Erm, I think I got a bit derailed here discussing humor in general...

[not a spoiler--I just made a long long post!]

Randall's comic is at least a joke on the original dyslexic joke, but that doesn't make it immune to criticism. It at least isn't heaping mockery and shame upon dyslexic people overtly--but it's still saying "dyslexics can't even fail at failing! It's that bad!". Not an attitude I care to reinforce, personally. On a scale of puns to jokes about lynching, this comic is definitely not all that high (I guess it ranks somewhere around mocking learning disabilities). And I laughed, btw. But it's worth considering that someone out there who is dyslexic probably disagrees.

Spoiler'd for the same reason:
Spoiler:
I'd agree with you all the way, except: First comes the prejudice and missunderstanding, then comes the joke.
Blondes are dumb. Women belong in the kitchen. Mexicans are lazy. That's like half of all jokes already covered and they have something in common: All of them are true! Don't get me wrong here: Almost all jokes are still gross oversimplification, but they originate from the same missconception. In the case of blondes it's the communitys fault, valuing attractiveness higher than intellect, women in general had it hard throughout history, and mexicans have to deal with their own cultural and linguistic hurdles.

I claim this: Every single joke has either a true (and unpleasant) core, or it was just created to offend (in wich case it's nothing else than an insult).
I mean, if a joke is offending, then this can have two reasons:
- The joker wants to offend or
- The joker doesn't know he's offending

It is true, that making fun of people sure isn't solving any problems. But what it could do is start a conversation. Since we all are civilized we should assume the latter. In my opinion, when someone is offended by a joke, then the best way of dealing with it is to say so. Tell the people that what they just said is far from the truth and explain the issue and why exagerating it is hurtful. This way the missconception could be resolved.
But most people just assume the former, act all insulted and stop the dialouge, and thats "what all the fuss is about".

Some smart people once said: Joking is a way of coping with the unknown. If we stopped joking then the missconceptions wouldn't dissappear. We just wouldn't notice them.

Anyway, to make a point: To me, todays comic does just that: It points out that there is an overused joke at the expense of dyslexic people. We should not print it on T-Shirts. Instead, we should make it public. In my opinion that is nowhere near offending to anyone.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed May 26, 2010 9:50 am UTC

pensive bosom wrote:The cruelty of joking about Aspies is that the humour will be totally lost on them.

That's like why making fun of the French is so easy: it's not like they ever fight back about it...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

insperatum

Postby insperatum » Wed May 26, 2010 9:55 am UTC

+1 vote to add this to xkcd store

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed May 26, 2010 10:05 am UTC

So, cultural differences to the maximum crank on xkcd?

I've never saw this joke in a t shirt, I guess I'm just walk away and read another comic the day after tommorow.

(I turn off my speeler check for this one. How it enhance the sarcasm. Not.)

Color-blind in one eye? That's so cool! Is it like the saturation of one eyes video feed is bumped down? (I never thought that you could test what a colorblind person would see since I never considered that the genes responsible for colorblindness could be switched on one eye and switched off in the other...)

I haven't seen a person totally color blind yet, however a lot of them are those red green blindness (can't distinguish red from green) ones, or the blue ones. He's probably one of them. I guess...

joee

Postby joee » Wed May 26, 2010 10:10 am UTC

HI GLASNT :<

I tend to make typing mistakes in real life. So I'll replace 's' by 'd' and vice versa
Hi glasnt.

jacog

Postby jacog » Wed May 26, 2010 10:16 am UTC

All this talk of offending minority groups reminds me of this one:

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He sits up all night wondering if there really is a dog.

Gazzskull

Postby Gazzskull » Wed May 26, 2010 11:05 am UTC

I was just thinking about the fact that all these people (including me) read the shirt as untie, and remembered that we can read words if the first and last letters are the same with the rest jumbled up. Then those of us that had heard the joke would automatically read it in the context of the joke as untie and those people that hadn't heard the joke would read it normally.

So don't feel bad for not being able to read unite easily, just blame your brains for taking shortcuts.

finlay

Postby finlay » Wed May 26, 2010 11:12 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:I find it funny, but for a completely different reason. The ubiquity of the 'untie' joke made me parse that word as 'untie', and it took a good few seconds before I realised it did, indeed, say 'unite'. The joke is on me, and I like it.

I think this is the intent – I didn't get it myself because I've never seen the joke before, though. I've seen dyslexics-swapping-letters jokes before, like the one two posts above me, but not this one, and I don't really get why untie could be funny otherwise, or if it's even meant to be.

ZeroSkulleton

Postby ZeroSkulleton » Wed May 26, 2010 11:15 am UTC

Took me a few seconds, but I lulzed

It reminds me of the "I Dyslexia <3" shirt.

blkballoon925

Postby blkballoon925 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:57 am UTC

At first I didn't see what you had done. After all, lysdexia is no joke.

psyEDk

Postby psyEDk » Wed May 26, 2010 11:59 am UTC

Hey you spelt untie wrong.
psy/OPs :.
Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter
¯ Project 2501

Andrusi

Postby Andrusi » Wed May 26, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

Makri wrote:Wait a moment, am I just stupid or did he overdo it in the alt-text? There's three nested doing it wrongs there. So the innermost one would be that of the original joke, i.e. writing UNTIE instead of "unite", no? And then the next one would be doing that wrong, so writing UNITE. And then the third one would change it back to UNTIE, which

is what, in that very same alt-text, he admits that he accidentally wrote several times while attempting to make this comic before finally getting it right.
Not named Dennis Miller.

curieux

Postby curieux » Wed May 26, 2010 12:35 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:That's like why making fun of the French is so easy: it's not like they ever fight back about it...

Hey, I'm French and I take offense to... No, it was funny :)

Anyway, to quote the greatest humorist ever, "One can laugh about anything, just not with anybody." (Bad translation (c) me.)

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Wed May 26, 2010 12:42 pm UTC

I was scalded by cheese.

While I am fully aware of the correct spelling of the words, I find that, when I handwrite, I not infrequently begin a word at the second letter and have to go back and squeeze in the first.

(Edit: yet i misspelt begin as being, wrote 'sentence' instead of 'word' and 'corrected' the misspelling of 'misspelt' to 'mispelt' 3 times before accepting Chrome's word, making a complete mockery of the first part of the sentence. Clearly I need either more caffeine or more sleep.)
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed May 26, 2010 12:48 pm UTC

A'Tuin wrote:(my spell check has just caught about five words miss spelt already in this)

misspelt, or misspelled if you're feeling fruity.

And anyway, may I present the new logo for the National Dyslexic Association:

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

JonR

Postby JonR » Wed May 26, 2010 1:08 pm UTC

I don't recall hearing this specific joke before, so had to re-read the comic several times to see if I'd missed anything.

the one I've heard before is "Slydexia rules KO" written as graffito.

a comic based on OCD would be frickin awesome!
I had a work colleague who had it, really bad, and he had so many funny stories of things that he'd done - obviously not funny at the time, but very funny when re-told later.
"I thought you had Kings!" - boy did I laugh.

Pen_Bird
The Other Phlip

Postby Pen_Bird » Wed May 26, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

Had a boss once who was factually dyslexic (not over-diagnosed), and he couldn't stop teasing us about it.

I wrote on the white board, "dyslexics of the world untie!"

He walked into the lab and read, "dyslexics of the world unite!"

That's when I ... "got" it.

RobShaver

Postby RobShaver » Wed May 26, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

My mother's a member of D.M.A. (Mother's Against Dyslexia).

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Wed May 26, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

hexalm wrote:On a scale of puns to jokes about lynching
Surely a lynching joke would be punishing?
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed May 26, 2010 1:52 pm UTC

JonR wrote:a comic based on OCD would be frickin awesome!

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

JayLeon

Postby JayLeon » Wed May 26, 2010 2:17 pm UTC

Wow! Trying to register on this web site had me think that some one really hates us dyslexics. The site not accepting my pass word. Then username. Then email. Then not accepting new resent pass word. Then having had to many attempts at signing in, trying to read the special words to prove that I am not some kind of automation bot, or at least not the kind of automation bot that wants to SPAM the board. Makes you WORK for your login.

Anyway, as I said dyslexic, not offended in any way by the strip (just the forum sign in process but that could be me as well) just didn’t get it as sometimes one just can’t tell if something is spelled right or wrong. Thanks to Troger64 for explaining it.

Ha. Ha.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed May 26, 2010 3:24 pm UTC

phlip wrote:The comic isn't even a joke at the expense of dyslexics. It's a joke at the expense of a tired joke at the expense of dyslexics.

Thanks, phlip. People around here seem to have lost their sense of meta-humour lately...

I think the title text makes it pretty clear that Randall (or at least, the "narrator" of the comic) considers himself to have a form of dyslexia, so it's not like he's acting superior to dyslexic people.

(I won't mention how many of my keystrokes in this short post were out of sequence. :) )

JayLeon

Postby JayLeon » Wed May 26, 2010 3:35 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
phlip wrote:The comic isn't even a joke at the expense of dyslexics. It's a joke at the expense of a tired joke at the expense of dyslexics.

Thanks, phlip. People around here seem to have lost their sense of meta-humour lately...

I think the title text makes it pretty clear that Randall (or at least, the "narrator" of the comic) considers himself to have a form of dyslexia, so it's not like he's acting superior to dyslexic people.

(I won't mention how many of my keystrokes in this short post were out of sequence. :) )

After reading the thread possibly the irony and main bit of meta humour in all this is that the people who don’t 'get' it are themselves Dyslexic and due to being Dyslexic miss the joke because they can’t see where the joke is. Also bonus irony unless I read it wrong the author of the joke himself is Dyslexic and screwed the joke up before getting it right because in couldn’t get the right word, wrong and kept getting the wrong word right and-Ow! Sudden shooting pains in my head!

Maybe we should all just rope off the area of Meta-Dyslexic humour written by Dyslexic people for Dyslexic people as a humour singularity in the Meta humour universe.

Pastinator

Postby Pastinator » Wed May 26, 2010 4:11 pm UTC

Perhaps attending an all male British school has made me thick skinned, but I'm surprised about all the upset here.
Any thing that makes you different from the 'norm' gets you joked about where I come from. However, seeing as no-one is normal we all take the piss out of anything that differentiates us. It comes across as brutal, but I think it's only when a group jokes at the expense of an individual, rather than an individual joking at the expense of an individual does it become a problem. Or if the the rate of jokes about one difference is higher than the proportion of that difference in the group (this is difficult if you have a ginger in a group, our resident one is the but of many a joke :D )

Sorry if this wasn't particularly decipherable, but I guess that's the theme of today right!

SorryBoringNickName

Postby SorryBoringNickName » Wed May 26, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

wat
Nothing to do, nowhere to go-oh

jpg

Postby jpg » Wed May 26, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Congrats Randall. You are probably the first person who made a joke...of a joke...or in mathematical terms, a second order joke. :-)

Keep up the good work!

dawidi

Postby dawidi » Wed May 26, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

hmm... the comic itself was a bit too simple for me, but the triple-recursive negation in the mouseover text had me chuckling and then managed to keep my mind busy for a while, until I was sure it was correct. Pity it doesn't translate well...

As for the quoting problem:
"I kept doing «doing «doing it wrong» wrong» wrong."

Because, even if you escaped normal quotes, you would have to make assumptions about the parser.
"I kept doing \"doing \\\"doing it wrong\\\" wrong\" wrong." or "I kept doing \"doing \"doing it wrong\" wrong\" wrong."? :lol:
"... and those are some of the things molecules do, given four billion years of evolution." (Carl Sagan)

Agent Foxtrot

Postby Agent Foxtrot » Wed May 26, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

I found today's strip to be wholly unfunny, as most of them have been for the past month or two. I think Randall ran out of ideas.

Makri

Postby Makri » Wed May 26, 2010 4:47 pm UTC

Andrusi wrote:
Makri wrote:Wait a moment, am I just stupid or did he overdo it in the alt-text? There's three nested doing it wrongs there. So the innermost one would be that of the original joke, i.e. writing UNTIE instead of "unite", no? And then the next one would be doing that wrong, so writing UNITE. And then the third one would change it back to UNTIE, which

is what, in that very same alt-text, he admits that he accidentally wrote several times while attempting to make this comic before finally getting it right.

Oh, true... Thanks. At least the disjunction I asked about was true. :mrgreen: :roll:
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”