0609: "Tab Explosion"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0609: "Tab Explosion"

Postby glasnt » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:01 am UTC

Cracked.com is another inexplicable browser narcotic. They could write a list of '17 worst haircuts in the Ottoman Empire' and I'd read through to the end, then click on all the links at the end.

I get like this anytime I find a new webcomic or good stupid-customer stories. I still have Random WTF bookmarked in my browser.

Hi joee.
Last edited by glasnt on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
glasnt

Re: "Tab Explosion" Discussion

Postby aeris92 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:01 am UTC

zomg, i respect you as a veteran of this forum and therefore, willingly remove my thread without coersion.
aeris92

Postby Crack Kid » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Mr. Munroe's kind of in "variations on a theme" mode, isn't he?

Friday's was basically a rerun of the scantron comic, and this one's pretty [url]much http://xkcd.com/214/[/url].
Crack Kid

Postby Omegaton » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:04 am UTC

Oh me yarm, TVTropes has been consuming my past few days, haha! Definitely a "get out of my head" comic for me, lol.
Omegaton

Postby Iluvatar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Ok, can we all agree that Randall is hereby banned from posting about how addictive some site is /at midnight?!/ I now have both a job at 8 am tomorrow and a fascinating site now. >:/
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.
Iluvatar

Postby Squid Tamer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:07 am UTC

I've stayed up till 3 am reading TvTropes on many occasions. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to get up at 6:00 most of those days...
Squid Tamer

Postby cakelover132 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:07 am UTC

1. Randall, get out of my heard. seriously. I've read every article on cracked.com since I first discovered it.
2. When I visited tvtropes to discover what it was, I was immediately sucked in and began clicking as though my life depended on it.
cakelover132

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:10 am UTC

And like the good editor I am, I added TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life to their XKCD entry. Someone seems to be beating me to the punch as far as pagequoting the strip on the former page, as it is currently checked out.

EDIT: Oh-ho-HO! Changed the bug image instead! Cheeky.
Last edited by Steve the Pocket on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.
Steve the Pocket

Postby Schemer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:11 am UTC

RANDALL WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!
Schemer

Postby Whispering » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:13 am UTC

TV Tropes has gotten me through many a boring night at work. It's the one of the only things that makes 3rd shift tolerable.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.
Whispering

Postby Kayube » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:13 am UTC

*puts "Tab Explosion" in the Title Bin*
Kayube

Postby Darius1020 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:14 am UTC

haha, this happens to me everytime i go on the Order of the stick forum, good stuff
Last edited by Darius1020 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Darius1020

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:14 am UTC

I thought of TVTropes just seeing the start of this comic! So I felt a little surprised and satisfied when it turned out that was actually what the comic was about. That very thing nearly happened to me an hour ago (from the MegaTokyo Story Discussions forum, which is the most common culprit that gets me into TVTropes - but far from the only one), but I resisted clicking the initial link because it wasn't quite an interesting enough title to justify wasting the next four hours of my life, as sometimes happens with TVTropes.
And I found cracked.com just a couple of weeks ago (was linked from Joe Mallozzi's blog and wasted much time as a result, so I can definitively state: get out of my head Randall!

(And thedailywtf used to be quite a time sink for me. I only really care about the Error'd now, for lulz. The stories have gotten a bit dull)
Last edited by Eternal Density on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

GAZEBO OINTMENT HARPSICHORD CREDENZA BUNGALOW
Eternal Density

Postby glasnt » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:17 am UTC

I'm am not going to link the comic to 'TV Tropes'... I don't even *want* to know what TVtropes is.. I get into enough trouble with my boyfriend if he finds me trawling through somethingawful.. b3ta, meh, but not sa... or fmylife for that matter..
glasnt

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:18 am UTC

TVTropes and Cracked...really, Randall, out.
SocialSceneRepairman

Postby westrim » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Fuck yeah, TV Tropes! Now thousands will wonder what that guy Randall was talking about and come to the wiki, only to be trapped forever more in an endless sea of squees and fanon and CMOAs.
Spoiler:
just as planned
. BWA-HAHAHAHA (Oh dear, is my masquerade coming loose? Better shove that back in the can).
westrim

Postby okelay » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Oh, tv tropes is way too addictive. I have had to just close firefox cause there just so many tabs (easily 50+) and sometimes I realise it's 6am and I've been going on an archive binge. then I started editing and creating articles. everytime I see a new show I go to check it. anad now I see anything and I can identify the different tropes, I'm doomed to be addicted forever.

oh, by the way,http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XKCD
okelay

Postby Whispering » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:20 am UTC

westrim wrote:Fuck yeah, TV Tropes! Now thousands will wonder what that guy Randall was talking about and come to the wiki, only to be trapped forever more in an endless sea of squees and fanon and CMOAs.
Spoiler:
just as planned
. BWA-HAHAHAHA (Oh dear, is my masquerade coming loose? Better shove that back in the can).

Are you sealed evil in a can? :lol:
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.
Whispering

Postby GodotIsWaiting4U » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:21 am UTC

My god...RANDALL, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

INCOMING SERVER OVERLOAD SHITSTORM! TAKE COVER!
GodotIsWaiting4U

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:24 am UTC

I hate you, I had to click on that...
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

GAZEBO OINTMENT HARPSICHORD CREDENZA BUNGALOW
Eternal Density

Postby Generic_Guy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:25 am UTC

Meh, TVTropes isn't that much to me (I only visited it once anyway, and that was from googling "\"a magical hand that shoots bees\""). Wikipedia does that easily enough, though. Goddammit, why do software articles have to be so interesting? :(

Edit: Heh, I like how the TVTropes article on us already noted this comic. They need much slower reaction times. Stupid competition... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Generic_Guy on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:29 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Generic_Guy

Postby glasnt » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:26 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
I hate you, I had to click on that...

Nooo! Come back Eternal Density! We can't lose you too! Nooooooooo.............
glasnt

Postby westrim » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:27 am UTC

westrim wrote: Are you sealed evil in a can?

No, I am the can. I wonder if there's a trope for that... (dammit!)
westrim

Postby Alsadius » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:29 am UTC

So I look it up at exactly midnight, read it, and post the link to this thread under the Wiki Walk entry that's already there. Then I go look at the page history, and ...someone got there before me? WTF?
Alsadius

Postby joee » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:31 am UTC

glasnt wrote:I get like this anytime I find a new webcomic or good stupid-customer stories. I still have Random WTF bookmarked in my browser.

Hi joee.

hi glasnt!

And, me too. Although I was very sad when someone told me SMBC has pop up extra things. Now I ahve to read it all again.

And, in spoiler tags so no one will kill me,
Spoiler:
listverse is win
Hi glasnt.
joee

Postby goomhr » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:31 am UTC

Yet another lurker who made an account specifically to tell Randall to get out of my head. Seriously, because it's about to explode.

I've visited cracked.com a grand total of 2 times over the entire course of my Internet-Enabled Procrastinating career... at least that was before today. I've spent the past 2.5 hours furiously clicking. I mean, who DOESN'T need to know about the dog who saved Napoleon?

(As most of you have probably inferred, yes, I do have a paper due in 16 hours.)
goomhr

Postby hideki101 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:31 am UTC

Nooooooo... I just closed out of cracked.com and the last tvtropes tab on my browser, and you're making me go back and read such things! CURSE YOU RANDALL!
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
hideki101

Postby Master Gunner » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:36 am UTC

Oh, so very, very, true...
Master Gunner

Postby Josephine » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:37 am UTC

Damn you, Randall. This is worse than Wikipedia! My only consolence is the fact that you just drowned their servers.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.
Josephine

Postby foodeater184 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:40 am UTC

I just wasted an hour and I have to go to sleep, and now you show me this?
Last edited by foodeater184 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
foodeater184

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:48 am UTC

I'm thankful my lack of interest in TV enables me to just barely resist the urge to click these links due to the URL suggesting the subject is TV. Phew.

I tend to find these addicting sites at work often. Wonder why. <_< >_> certainly not looking for them nope nope
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.
'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:51 am UTC

I just discovered this phenomenon a couple weeks ago. It all started with me looking up websites about Northern Exposure, and soon I was deep within the realm of the trope.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby J the Ninja » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:54 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I'm thankful my lack of interest in TV enables me to just barely resist the urge to click these links due to the URL suggesting the subject is TV. Phew.

I tend to find these addicting sites at work often. Wonder why. <_< >_> certainly not looking for them nope nope

They also cover movies, video games, anime, literature, teal life, and sometimes music.
J the Ninja

Postby Tsunoba » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:56 am UTC

Is it bad that I knew EXACTLY what this was about by the seventh panel?

Ah, TV Tropes. Because of that web site, I now know that I can have 180 tabs open without noticeably slowing down my computer. (Granted, fifty of those tabs were various other things, but...)
Tsunoba

Postby Aeetlrcreejl » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:56 am UTC

I was just reading Cracked! Get out of there, Randall!
Aeetlrcreejl

Postby KratosDon » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:57 am UTC

The timing of this comic is uncanny; I was linked to TVTropes for the first time a week ago and have wasted at least two hours on it every day since!
KratosDon

Postby glasnt » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:58 am UTC

Oh dear... what if Randall had linked each exclamation in the comic with a imgmap link to the article he is referring to in TVtropes? It'd be like AmazingSuperPowers, but worse.
glasnt

Postby Nlelith » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:59 am UTC

I currently have 4 cracked.com tabs open...and I discovered tvtropes just a week ago.

Randall, get out of my head!!!
Nlelith

Postby WontonSoup » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:59 am UTC

I FINALLY get to say...

"Randall, get out of my head!"

Any time someone links to tvtropes, I end up doing this for AT LEAST 3 hours.

Edit:
Darius1020 wrote:haha, this happens to me everytime i go on the Order of the stick forum, good stuff

Wow. Darius1020, get out of my head. I guess forumgoers on that site just seem to like linking to tvtropes, cause that's where I first discovered it, and that's where I always get initially linked to it from. XD
Last edited by WontonSoup on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
WontonSoup

Postby westrim » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:00 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I'm thankful my lack of interest in TV enables me to just barely resist the urge to click these links due to the URL suggesting the subject is TV. Phew.

It apparently used to be a Buffy fansite, but grew from there to encompass all media (including webcomics) and even real life. Go on, have a taste; it's good! http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AwesomeMomentOfCrowning
westrim

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads