0606: "Cutting Edge"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jorpho

Re: "Cutting Edge" discussion

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

ritvax wrote:Seriously contemplating getting a PC so I can play Portal. Of course, you're talking to the guy who is still wishing for a PS2 so he can play GTA (the original GTA, that is)...
Come now, the original GTA was released for the PS1 and PC. :P

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:44 am UTC

Off-topic: Hi glasnt!
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

DanOlner

This cartoon knocked me off the wagon

Postby DanOlner » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

In the week of 5th July, I read this cartoon. Curious, I googled and discovered it was talking about Portal. Interested now, I found myself getting steam and seeing whether my laptop could run it. I haven't played games for many years - if ever I do, I get badly addicted.

So, we're now about a month later and I've just finished half life 2 episode 2, having got through Portal and all of the half life series thus far. Damn you XKCD. p.s. Half life 2 - having not played games for some time, that's an experience that's really going to stay with me. Wow.

Thank God there's no more until 2010.

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:51 pm UTC

ritvax wrote:Seriously contemplating getting a PC so I can play Portal.

There once was a buggy A.I.
Who decided her subject should die.
When the plot was uncovered,
The subjected discovered
That sadly the cake was a lie.
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

BlazeOrangeDeer

Re: "Cutting Edge" Discussion

Postby BlazeOrangeDeer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:57 am UTC

I swear I had Half Life 2 open in another window when I read this. Oh me yarm Oh he knows my thoughts before I do...

00Davo

Postby 00Davo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

Why does it matter that Half-Life 2 came out in 2004? It's still a great-looking and incredibly fun game. :D

In fact, the first time I played through, I actually noclipped past Ravenholm because I was too scared of the zombies. :P I decided to play through HL2 again last week, and actually played Ravenholm. $DEITY, it is awesome. :shock:

Also, the last panel is the incorrect response to hearing Still Alive. The correct response runs along the following lines: "Hey, that's the song from Portal! Wasn't that a great game? We should totally play it again (even though we now have neurally-implanted gaming tech, since Portal was just that awesome). I'll log into Steam!"

Glenn Magus Harvey wrote:I play Nethack. And I discovered it in 2006. BEAT THAT, PEOPLE!

I play Dungeons and Dragons. And I discovered it in (IIRC) 2007.

usernamesstink

Postby usernamesstink » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

Gets better with time!!

BlazeOrangeDeer

Postby BlazeOrangeDeer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:37 am UTC

I'm playing through hl2 again right now, they added more achievements when they added mac compatibility. I didn't know how fun it was to play ravenholm with only the Gravity Gun :)

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:09 am UTC

I was sooooo hyped about Portal when I first heard about it; watched the trailer videos over and over again, played Narbacular Drop over and over again, drooled myself silly...

...and today (well, technically yesterday, but less than 12 hours ago, anyway), I got it*, played through it on my computer (that was almost cutting nearly six years ago), posted some stuff about how awesome Portal is on Facebook, was reminded of this xkcd comic in one of the comics, read it, laugh out loud in my head and then came over here to tell you all HOW FUCKING AWESOME PORTAL IS!
I mean, seriously... What's your point, anyway? "Survival"? Well then. The last thing you want to do is hurt me. I-have-your-brain scanned and permanently backed up in case something te-rrible happens to you. Don't believe me? Here. I'll-put-you-on. HELLOOOOOOOO! That's-you!-That's-how-dumb-you sound. You're-not-smart. You're-not-a-scientist. You're-not-a-doctor. You're-not-even-a full-time EM-ploy-ee. <3

So, basically... ...GOOMHR a year in the future or something, Randall!**

*...along with Fable (which I'd also been really psyched about for years before it was released) and Mount & Blade (which people tell me is awesome); 198 SEK or about 26 USD for all three.
**Yay; redundancy!
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

Ggrogg

Re: 0606: "Cutting Edge"

Postby Ggrogg » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:49 am UTC

As is so often the case with XKCD, it's always good to find out I'm not the only one who does these things. I always say a game will be just as good in 5 years as it will be today and (as someone pointed out) they'll have fixed most of the bugs, maybe put out a patch to streamline the UI, etc. and if for some reason I get completely stuck I can probably find a walkthrough that'll point me the right direction. And it saves me a ton of money. Sometimes I'll illegally download a new game and then if I end up really playing it for a decent amount of time I'll buy a copy of it when the price drops. Most of the time, I don't end up playing them for very long tho so I just don't bother to buy it and consider it to be a free trial.
I even do this with MMOs but on a smaller time scale. Sure, Rift looks like it'll be fun but you got to figure it'll be buggy and the classes will be imbalanced and etc. so I'll try it in another 6 months (at the earliest) or longer than that if it doesn't turn out to be that good.

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:36 am UTC

F Yeah!!! Just beat portal, meaning I beat this guy by two years!... I've wanted to play it since it came out, but only now found a computer that could successfully play it... And even then, the darn thing kept overheating just as I was dropping the anger sphere in the incinerator, meaning I actually beat GLaDOS maybe 13 or 14 times before it didn't overheat (I realized I could bring the graphics settings down even further than they already were). And now I can't stop singing

This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
Aperture Science
We do what we must
because we can.
For the good of all of us
Except the ones who are dead
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
And the Science gets done
And you make a neat gun
for the people who are still alive...

I did that purely from memory. I know more, but so do most who will read my post, so I won't continue. It's stuck there in my head pretty damn well, though. Best game ever. I want to try Half-Life now, Portal has made me interested in an fps for the first time ever.
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

LordBritish

Postby LordBritish » Tue May 17, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Having Portal 2 out now, I guess a lot of people will also rememer/have a look at Portal 1.
I don't know how it will be in early 2013, but in mid 2011 Portal is still up and alife.
In vacuum, you are no longer a sucker.

now to something completely different: http://demesos.blogspot.com

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue May 17, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

LordBritish wrote:Having Portal 2 out now, I guess a lot of people will also rememer/have a look at Portal 1.
I don't know how it will be in early 2013, but in mid 2011 Portal is still up and alife still alive.

FTFY.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

RowanE

Postby RowanE » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

It's 2011, and I just now finished Portal. And this comic immediately came to mind.

I'm making a note here - HUGE SUCCESS

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:23 am UTC

18 November 2011, and I've just bought a copy of Portal. (No, not Portal 2.) I didn't really want the rest of the Orange Box, so I didn't want to pay $50 for it. I saw Portal on its own for $20 a couple of months ago, but when I came back a week later to buy it it had gone. I saw it again today for $13 and grabbed it.

I guess I have a bit over a year to get through it. :)

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

Wow. I just realized that it is 2013, and I have still never played Portal. Not intentionally, but out of sheer laziness. And has it really been that long since that comic was published? How time flies!

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:53 am UTC

This comic is briefly relevant!
The preceding comment is an automated response.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:11 am UTC

I'm expecting to play Duke Nukem Forever by 2020...

When it was released, i was like "Awesome!"... then I realized I'll probably wait several more years until I have a computer that can run it.

In any case, I've been doing this for some time. Recently, I played through Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines. Awesome game.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

I still can't play Portal because you need a PS3 for it, and I still just have a PS2. (And a Wii, which came out at the same time as a PS3... but the Wii is the first and only console I have EVER had that was, when I bought it, still the newest console by its company.)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:19 am UTC

mathmannix wrote:I still can't play Portal because you need a PS3 for it, and I still just have a PS2. (And a Wii, which came out at the same time as a PS3... but the Wii is the first and only console I have EVER had that was, when I bought it, still the newest console by its company.)

There's also a version for purchase on Steam, so all that's required is a computer that's up to 2007 standards. I'd buy it myself if I didn't have such a huge backlog of games I have yet to seriously try to finish (just started Pikmin 2 last week, and Mario 64 2 weeks ago X_X).

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:49 am UTC

Yeah, having played Portal on PC and on 360 (and then having played Portal 2 on PC with both mouse/keyboard and a gamepad), I have to say... this is one that really needs a mouse/keyboard setup. Usually I don't mind the limited precision of console controls in an FPS, but for a puzzle-platformer-style FPS, you really want that extra precision.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:43 am UTC

cyanyoshi wrote:There's also a version for purchase on Steam, so all that's required is a computer that's up to 2007 standards.

You'll be able to run it on a much more ancient machine. It has pretty much the same system requirements as Half-Life 2 which came out in 2004. According to wikipedia, minimal requirements for graphic card is either NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 128 MB or ATi Radeon 9500 128 MB, both of which seem to be have been released in 2001.

Portal 2 and Starcraft 2 are the latest mainstream games I'm able to play on my computer, (well, yeah, and Minecraft, but I'm not counting that) thanks to some really nice optimalization.

liveboy21

Postby liveboy21 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:27 am UTC

I wanted to revive this thread just to say that I have just finished playing half life and I am about to start on half life 2. I feel sad that I am this slow to the party, even though I do consider myself a gamer.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:20 am UTC

Oh, but Black Mesa is the new hotness now, having finally escaped from Development Hell.

deater78

Postby deater78 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:16 am UTC

Guess who just finally got around to buying/playing/defeating Portal!

I guess I'm on more of a 9 year delay.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:52 pm UTC

I thought Portal was a beautifully-built demo of a cute game concept.

As for Ravenholm, we don't go to Ravenholm. It's not a safe place.
I don't know and have no opinion.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:20 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:I thought Portal was a beautifully-built demo of a cute game concept.

Then what's Narbacular Drop?

Heheh, it's funny that mod description opens with "u shudnt come here". Ravenholdm is infestered with zombie goasts and the pants are dead.

deater78

Postby deater78 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:36 am UTC

I somehow ended up going ever further back in time and accidentally ported Portal to the Apple II.

http://www.deater.net/weave/vmwprod/portal/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”