0606: "Cutting Edge"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

glasnt

0606: "Cutting Edge"

Postby glasnt » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:03 am UTC

ANNOUNCEMENT: Hi joee! :mrgreen:

And now back to our regularly scheduled comic discussion thread.

Alt: I remember trying to log in to the original Command and Conquer servers a year or two back and feeling like I was knocking on the boarded-up gates of a ghost town.

And I thought I was out of date trying to make my own WCC in early 2008 -_-
Last edited by glasnt on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:12 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

mchainmail

Re: "Cutting Edge" discussion

Postby mchainmail » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:03 am UTC

C&C was ftw.

TurtleMidget

Postby TurtleMidget » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Damn you, 3 seconds prior to mine!

But I know the feeling. I've pulled the last panel on a couple of occasions.
Last edited by TurtleMidget on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
GENERATION 98: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:04 am UTC

It is a damn good way to save money. I have some friends who do more or less just that!

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:07 am UTC

I do that with a lot of games... actually, pretty much my entire Steam account except for Portal. I bought the Orange Box, Assassin's Creed, and Psychonauts well after their prices had gone down.

It also helps to ensure that bugs have been worked out and any new features the publisher wanted to add in have gone in.

TL;DR: Get out of my head, Randall!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

topherhooper

Postby topherhooper » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:09 am UTC

I didn't get the reference in the last panel. Anyone?

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:10 am UTC

I used to do this. Back in those days I got my computers about five years after they were new, so it was pretty much mandatory.

The other drawback of course is that you can't ever hang out with video game nerds, or you'll have some key plot twists spoiled for you ahead of time. The aforementioned cake, for instance......
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

pianom4n

Postby pianom4n » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:10 am UTC

Portal was yesterday's featured article on Wikipedia. Coincidence?

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:11 am UTC

Ah, and the same thing can be said of movies, or nearly any medium. Sure the technology wasn't as good back then, but the good art still holds up.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:14 am UTC

Oh dear.. I have this song in my head now... I tried to replace it with anything else.. but it's stuck.

Has anyone else started a drunken sing-a-long to 'Still Alive' with a room full of intoxicated geeks? I haven't. We were actually walking along the streets in the wee hours. We ended up rickrolling the fuzz as well. That was a good night.
Last edited by glasnt on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Turtle_

Postby Turtle_ » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:14 am UTC

Wow, the day after Portal is the featured article on wikipedia. That's an interesting coincidence.

EDIT: Oops, someone already pointed that out. Now I guess I have to add something new. For a long time my computer was pretty bad. Just recently I got one that was actually reasonable for playing games, so now I'm playing the things people were talking about a long time ago.
Last edited by Turtle_ on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth." ~ Ender's Game
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." ~ Charles Darwin

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:16 am UTC

Get outta my head Randall!
This is how I have always been. The most I've ever payed for a game is like $30 and my big birthday present last year was a ps2, instead of a ps3 or 360 xD
I feel a little smug about it because the ps2 has such great longevitiy and I get all the big games that my friends have on 360 for waaaay less, but then I lose out with the online thing and platform exclusive releases, but whatevs. I got monies :D

Also, until only a couple years ago, we were still running Windows 98 on one of our computers ftw :D
Last edited by sircheeziusbreezius on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:19 am UTC

I too tend to play games on a bit of a time lag although not quite as extreme (in most cases). For me about a year or two works pretty well. I was able to play crysis without having to buy super computing time.
Last edited by pyroman on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:20 am UTC

My standard is "less than $20" rather than "five years". It's a good way of filtering out the crap: if people are still talking about it, it's probably a good game.

formerJIM33333

Postby formerJIM33333 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:20 am UTC

This is happening to me right now with movies and music. I finally watched Terminator about a week ago. Too bad it doesn't happen as often with video games. Damn Wii. Bye, money!

muktowngiant68

Postby muktowngiant68 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:31 am UTC

The cake is a lie.... wow now i need to go play portal again, thanks...

WazirKnightBishop

Postby WazirKnightBishop » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:32 am UTC

topherhooper wrote:I didn't get the reference in the last panel. Anyone?

It was the video game Portal.

Obligatory Wikipedia Link wrote:...These "backstage" areas, which are in extreme disrepair, stand in stark contrast to the pristine test chambers. The graffiti includes statements such as "the cake is a lie" and pastiches of Emily Dickinson's poem "The Chariot," "Because I Could Not Stop For Death," and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "The Reaper and the Flowers" mourning the death of...

tl;dr: the underlined bit.

Mind, I was extremely close to letting this go through; I followed the link in "today's featured article". I have always thought that the Cake Lie (as I like to term it) was some kind of spur-of-the-moment utterance that got popular.
~~~~

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:36 am UTC

This comic is pretty inaccurate. I can play Portal on a Celeron D, the game was designed from the start for low end computers and high end so there was no excuse to have not played the game.

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:39 am UTC

I do this as well. The lower price is almost just the cherry on top of getting games in their maximally patched state. I doubt I would have enjoyed Anachronox and Vampire: Bloodlines nearly as much without all the much-needed fan patching.

racoonjwoolsey

Postby racoonjwoolsey » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:41 am UTC

:oops: This comic is so me...

I used to do this. Back in those days I got my computers about five years after they were new, so it was pretty much mandatory

:oops: :oops: :oops: I second this.

My computer is a dell pentium 3 optiplex gx1.

It is a beige tower.

It has about 316 MB ram.

And other than games, you'd never know it wasn't new.

Also, it runs flash CS4 like a dream.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:43 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:This comic is pretty inaccurate. I can play Portal on a Celeron D, the game was designed from the start for low end computers and high end so there was no excuse to have not played the game.

Who said he was playing it on a computer?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:43 am UTC

Cake is a lie but pi is truth.

I know how the alt-text goes I can't stand going back to old games and not finding anyone playing except for Koreans, nothing against you guys but I don't speak that language. Well that and they tend to beat you in 10 seconds. Anyone up for Red Alert: Yuri's Revenge?
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

loudambiance

Postby loudambiance » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:46 am UTC

That's funny, yesteday I installed some of my older games: Diablo 1 & 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, Tribes Vengeance, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Warrior Within, Starcraft, Serious Sam and a couple others... made me giggle a little to read this one...

Sir-Taco

Postby Sir-Taco » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:51 am UTC

Now I want to load up my copy of Quake II and check the servers online to see, or even Quake I. Sadly I'm actually falling into that rut, Im gonna need to upgrade my rig to even decently play todays most recent games.
The world is a cold and dark place, so start fire.

quadripedman

Postby quadripedman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:52 am UTC

Uh, Randal, what are you doing in my head? I just got HL2 a few weeks ago ($2 at Good Will and a few hours of some questionabally legal maneuvers involving falsifying a receipt and other such things) and have been playing it non-stop.
this is a signature. i think.

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:53 am UTC

Portal was my gateway drug. I resisted for a while but eventually found myself playing Half-Life Source, and then HL2 and the episodes.
Half-Life 2 and the eps are still fun to replay now and again, even if it's just a few sections.
Look at me, still talking when there's science to do...
@ quadripedman Ahh, the first time through Half-Life 2 (ooh, the rhyme!), I remember the feeling :D Enjoy!

pugtm

Postby pugtm » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:57 am UTC

i believe this comic illustrates one of the biggest problems with the current business model of the video game industry. The people who can buy and have time are too old and have better things to do(generally) and the 12-20 year olds generally don't have the currency. like me stuck with a computer 9 years old and paying for college next year on my own. still waiting to play empire total war. oh well, eventually moores law will take care of it i hope.
Lechaim! Gambatte! Be'hatzlacha, Be'koach, Be'shalom

una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

"Not being known doesn't stop the truth from being true."
Richard Bach

www.BudoWeb.org - The Budo WIKI

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:57 am UTC

quadripedman wrote:Uh, Randal, what are you doing in my head? I just got HL2 a few weeks ago ($2 at Good Will and a few hours of some questionabally legal maneuvers involving falsifying a receipt and other such things) and have been playing it non-stop.

That's actually what we call a 'coincidence'.

Storm

Postby Storm » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:03 am UTC

Hmm, I just end up playing everything new release at friends places, then buy it if I really really like it and feel I could play it forever. I must admit I should buy portal.. I've played it so many times. Brilliant game.
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:10 am UTC

topherhooper wrote:I didn't get the reference in the last panel. Anyone?

Then you haven't lived! *shocked gasp*

Off-topic: Finally got a post on the first page of a comic discussion. =D
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:11 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:This comic is pretty inaccurate. I can play Portal on a Celeron D, the game was designed from the start for low end computers and high end so there was no excuse to have not played the game.
But they didn't have Celeron D's in 2004, did they? Certainly, they didn't have our shiny new graphics card technology.

My PC backlog scares me. And yep, Half-Life 2 is in there too.

Generic_Guy

Postby Generic_Guy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:12 am UTC

This is me. Here's the newest games I have, in order:
1. DROD RPG (google it)
2. DROD: TCB
3. UT2004
4. Quake III
5. UT99
(6. Unreal)

Says a lot, huh? :mrgreen:

Xyros

Postby Xyros » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:15 am UTC

After seeing that comic I...I suddenly feel like singing...Come on everybody, join in!

Ooooh!
It's was a triumph!
Tantum aliquid quisnam est bardus insisto alius.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:15 am UTC

My collection of PC (retail) games is pretty shameful and mostly at least a year or two old.

- The Orange Box (complete)
- Audiosurf
- Midtown Madness 2
- Flight Sim (2000, 2004, 2008 w/ expansions etc)

Other than that I mainly play free or open-source games. Cube 2: Sauerbraten, Digital Paint: Paintball2, OpenArena, Nexuiz etc.
Last edited by Zorlin on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

xmillion

Postby xmillion » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:21 am UTC

I Still play C&C games, :)
and yeah, there's still a lonely person or two in the original C&C servers (i checked)

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:22 am UTC

Zorlin wrote:Other than that I mainly play free or open-source games. Cube 2: Sauerbraten, Digital Paint: Paintball2, OpenArena, Nexuiz etc.

That reminds me I have to go find that 4D game over on Sourceforge. I wonder if it's anymore complete? Open-source games are the best, you don't like something in the game just change it yourself.
Last edited by Whispering on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

JamesGecko

Postby JamesGecko » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:33 am UTC

I do this. Five years is generally the time it takes for integrated graphics cards to become powerful enough to play those games. (Intel X3100 for the win!) You can jump the curve a bit (Oblivion!), but games like that clearly need a lot more hacking and coaxing to run at an acceptable speed. It recently occurred to me that last-gen consoles (and their respective exclusive used games) were really cheap, and there were a lot of great games on them which never hit PC. So now I'm getting ready to play Wind Waker.

Zorlin wrote:Other than that I mainly play free or open-source games. Cube 2: Sauerbraten, Digital Paint: Paintball2, OpenArena, Nexuiz etc.

Don't forget WarSow! Although after getting UT2004 earlier this year, I became disillusioned with the current state of open source FPS games.

The comic is fine. I can't run Portal on my Core 2 Duo at any acceptable speed. It's the video card that counts.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:43 am UTC

I've actually thought of doing this before. The problem is competitive multiplayer games. If I start playing TvC or SC2 five years after everyone else, I'm at a huge disadvantage.

JamesGecko wrote:Don't forget WarSow! Although after getting UT2004 earlier this year, I became disillusioned with the current state of open source FPS games.
But, WarSow is just Quake 3 with a random walljump mechanic, less fun weapons and stylish graphics. And Quake 3 is now free also (Quake Live). There's not much reason to play WarSow over Quake Live.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

HouseFantastic

Postby HouseFantastic » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:46 am UTC

I registered only to post that, for a guy who thinks he has a moderate computer, he sure does have a terribly bulky non-lcd monitor. Back to lurking I go, hopefully, unless there are objections to my post, to which I HAVE to respond.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:47 am UTC

mchainmail wrote:C&C was ftw.

Indeed. The first two games are actually available for free now, and I recently got them working on Wine. Now I want to set up an xkcd-wide tournament or something of the games, although I haven't tried to get CnCnet working yet.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”