0588: "Pep Rally"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ComputerAnalysis

0588: "Pep Rally"

Postby ComputerAnalysis » Mon May 25, 2009 4:00 am UTC

Alt-Text:"You know, pep rallies weirded me out in high school, and they've only gotten creepier in retrospect."

You know I've always hated pep rallies.

glasnt

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby glasnt » Mon May 25, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Thread Creation winner!

I don't mind the Americanised comics, but I think the humour is lot on me. Do people actually listen to scantilyclad underage girls telling them that their collective educational grouping is superior to others?

ComputerAnalysis

Postby ComputerAnalysis » Mon May 25, 2009 4:05 am UTC

As much as I hate to admit, some people actually get caught up in it. I have no idea why.

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon May 25, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Yay, tribalism!

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Mon May 25, 2009 4:10 am UTC

glasnt wrote:I don't mind the Americanised comics, but I think the humour is lot on me. Do people actually listen to scantilyclad underage girls telling them that their collective educational grouping is superior to others?

Agreed...and I live in America. They never did anything like this where I'm from.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

Zerris

Postby Zerris » Mon May 25, 2009 4:11 am UTC

I always just started anti pep-rally rallies. Get a bunch of friends together and protest that we were allergic to school spirit. And yea, my school does these three times a year or more.

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Mon May 25, 2009 4:11 am UTC

New Yorkers, Angelenos, Montrealaises, and people from Green Bay, on the other hand, are still assholes.

Daemen

Postby Daemen » Mon May 25, 2009 4:12 am UTC

I've been say exactly this all throughout high school. How can you really have pride for the school that (in most cases) you are forced to go to. The concept of school spirit feels just a bit to Orwellian too me, too much like 1984 - they channel your hate and aggression towards another school so you don't aim towards the administration of your own school.
Last edited by Daemen on Mon May 25, 2009 4:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

RandallGetOutOfMyHead

Postby RandallGetOutOfMyHead » Mon May 25, 2009 4:12 am UTC

This is so weird.

I was just thinking Randall was the best!

suso

Postby suso » Mon May 25, 2009 4:13 am UTC

One of my most memorable moments from high school was at a pep rally.

We were seniors, and the cheerleaders where chanting "Let's hear the seniors yell WHS!"

And right in unison one of the heavy metal rocker types yelled out "Shove it up your ass!"
Imagine theres no signatures....

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Mon May 25, 2009 4:13 am UTC

I've never being to one, but from what I've heard, they're not that good. Especially since my school doesn't really have cheerleaders.......(think about that for a second)

As to whether or not they "actually listen to scantilyclad underage girls telling them that their collective educational grouping is superior to others", yes and no. A lot of people, especially the types that attend pep rallies, have a lot of pride in their sports teams (which, at least around here, are the primary reasons for having pep rallies) and their school. The point of these rallies is to bring people out to demonstrate how much they love their school. The scantily-clad underage girls are just a device to help stir up that "school spirit", generally if it's not there in the first place, these do nothing to bring it out (as the protagonist of this strip helps demonstrate). Of course, teenagers are also highly hormonal, so they are very likely to listen to cheerleaders, and thus those that normally don't pay much interest or aren't actively involved can still get caught up in the rush when they start thinking with their "lower horn".

joee

Postby joee » Mon May 25, 2009 4:13 am UTC

glasnt: lowest common denominator. Most of the kids in my HS would've subscribed to something like that, if it had existed in Australia.

p.s. hi!

p.p.s. OP, add a link to the comic pls kthx
Hi glasnt.

ryu planeswalker

Postby ryu planeswalker » Mon May 25, 2009 4:14 am UTC

Comic JK wrote:
glasnt wrote:I don't mind the Americanised comics, but I think the humour is lot on me. Do people actually listen to scantilyclad underage girls telling them that their collective educational grouping is superior to others?

Agreed...and I live in America. They never did anything like this where I'm from.

We did it in my schools every Friday before a football game, what got me is that these cheerleaders would in real life never talk to me since I was a huge nerd, why should I listen to these people who treat me and the majority of the rest of the students poorly? Wouldn't it work better if they said to cheer for the other team so we would cheer for the home team just to spite them.

Sudo-Fu

Postby Sudo-Fu » Mon May 25, 2009 4:14 am UTC

It's even scarier when you're in the band or something: you sit out in the gym, looking in on the hormone-crazed inadequacy fest. It's like monkeys in a cage.

Is it only my school that makes pep fests mandatory? Like, they put teachers on all the exits to make sure you don't just leave and go home?
Last edited by Sudo-Fu on Mon May 25, 2009 4:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait..... what??

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon May 25, 2009 4:14 am UTC

Once you get out of high school this kind of silly thing doesn't have to follow you if you don't want it to (as long as you can avoid college football games). So high school kids, look up.

Also, Daemen, save the Orwellian accusations for things less innocuous than lame high school gatherings.

drx

Postby drx » Mon May 25, 2009 4:15 am UTC

I admire the ability to make comics about things such as this and not go on a rant about it. Lots of self-control there :P

mf92

Postby mf92 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:17 am UTC

glasnt wrote:Thread Creation winner!

I don't mind the Americanised comics, but I think the humour is lot on me. Do people actually listen to scantilyclad underage girls telling them that their collective educational grouping is superior to others?

Actually, yes. That is exactly how I remember it. The pep rallies happened twice a year at my school and it was mandatory to attend. They took up about the last hour and a half of classes. I can't even express how much I hated them.

I am from America, by the way.

UserGoogol

Postby UserGoogol » Mon May 25, 2009 4:26 am UTC

Pep rallies are of course profoundly creepy, and there are entirely valid comparisons to be made between them and for example Fascism, but there's something far too easy about making fun of them. Nearly every single person who reads this comic will have already reached this conclusion and thought of something close to this joke the moment they went anywhere near a high school. There's some nifty humor to the sheer hyperbole of donating a kidney but it feels like there's better ways this could have been taken.

onosson

Postby onosson » Mon May 25, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Wow... I'm from Canada, and I always assumed these things were just myths, or something from the 1950s. Bizarre...

kriel

Postby kriel » Mon May 25, 2009 4:31 am UTC

My school was cool. For those of us who hated the pep rallies; they let us sit down in the cafeteria instead of going to the gym. Of course; since attendance for cheerleaders, poms (fancy cheerleaders), the football team, and the band was all mandatory, more than half the school was forced there anyway.

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Mon May 25, 2009 4:31 am UTC

Sudo-Fu wrote:It's even scarier when you're in the band or something: you sit out in the gym, looking in on the hormone-crazed inadequacy fest. It's like monkeys in a cage.

Is it only my school that makes pep fests mandatory? Like, they put teachers on all the exits to make sure you don't just leave and go home?

That kind of thing is what makes me glad that I'm in the Orchestra.

Sadly, your school isn't the only one to do lock students up like cattle. They take us all up to the bleachers, pack us up as close as possible, and have the teachers wait by the doors in case someone manages to push their way through the crowd of hormonal kids without losing an arm.

The thing that I try to remember whenever I'm stuck in there is that for every one peppy, blinded kid, there is at least one other who feels like murdering the administration at that point. Occasionally, enjoyable things happen, like the fruit war we had last time.

Though I think that the one thing worse than the cheerleaders is when they bring out the guest speakers to try to knock some pep into us //_>

[ Also, if I'm not mistaken, there's an extra comma in the last panel. ]
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

iamevn

Postby iamevn » Mon May 25, 2009 4:35 am UTC

you are not mistaken

mf92

Postby mf92 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:41 am UTC

Sudo-Fu wrote:
They take us all up to the bleachers, pack us up as close as possible, and have the teachers wait by the doors in case someone manages to push their way through the crowd of hormonal kids without losing an arm.

My high school did this too! I develop terrible anxiety when it comes to being in the middle of a crowd and loud noises, so I've never been to one pep rally where I didn't come close to passing out. We had four sets of bleachers, but the staff felt it made more sense to pack about 2,000 kids into only two sets, which made the situation even worse. And since these pep rallies were done in the beginning and end of the year it was usually fairly hot to begin with before packing everyone together.
Oh God, I do not miss high school at ALL.

ryu planeswalker

Postby ryu planeswalker » Mon May 25, 2009 4:47 am UTC

Does anyone truly miss High School?

Moz

Postby Moz » Mon May 25, 2009 4:49 am UTC

Sudo-Fu wrote:Is it only my school that makes pep fests mandatory? Like, they put teachers on all the exits to make sure you don't just leave and go home?

No, they did that here too, and you had to go sit in the cafeteria if you chose not to attend, where, for no apparent reason, you had to stay seated and could not move around.

I'd looked like a senior since my sophomore year, and since seniors with open periods could leave the school, I just told the teachers guarding the exits that I didn't have class that period.

Our pep rallies were done mostly just to force the whole school to hear about how well our sports teams did and about the awards they won, none of which I cared about, and all of which I'd already heard about for the past two weeks. Occassionally there would be skits and sometimes things about other activities like debate that actually have a place in an academic environment.

I've never understood the school pride thing either. The only way it would make sense is if you had chosen to attend your particular school and had contributed something valuable to it in some way.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:52 am UTC

glasnt wrote:Thread Creation winner!

Yes, I do listen to bikini-clad 9 year olds when they tell me that the other high school is full of godless communist apes whom we must destroy.
Oh yeah, they did this. Once a quarter we would have a pep rally for the last hour and a half. And they did have teachers and stuff surround the school. It was a campus too, a relatively large one, so it was a bit difficult. I remember my sister and I sneaking around the portables like ninjas so that our mom can pick us up. It was quite dumb. But I didn't really mind them. We didn't have class, and the skits were fun. Someone would always blow up a condom and we'd knock it around.
But personally I hate the whole school spirit thing. I loathed those people who got their faces painted.
onosson wrote:Wow... I'm from Canada, and I always assumed these things were just myths, or something from the 1950s. Bizarre...
I feel the same way about hall monitors and kissing booths. Neither of those really exist outside of television, right?
Daemen wrote:I've been say exactly this all throughout high school. How can you really have pride for the school that (in most cases) you are forced to go to. The concept of school spirit feels just a bit to Orwellian too me, too much like 1984 - they channel your hate and aggression towards another school so you don't aim towards the administration of your own school.
You're a psycho. :P Pretty much all it is is a waste of time. There is no hate involved, just school pride, basically. But yeah, I see no pride in going to a school, and that's why I'm not very passionate about any sports.
And they are not that scantily-clad. They are wearing normal-lengthed short skirts.EDIT:
EDIT:
Also, it's not really underaged. They are 15-19 years old. And doing absolutely nothing sexual. Nothing more sexual than jumping around.
Also, I'm moderately sure that they were mandatory because they wanted people (including the teachers, who are in the skits quite often)to show up to the pep rallies, but they can't let people leave because school is still in session. If you let out the highschoolers out now, that will affect the bus schedules, which will affect the other high schools they have to take care of, and middle schools, whatever. Inb fact, I do believe that one year our school had one at night. No one showed up XD
Last edited by sje46 on Mon May 25, 2009 5:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon May 25, 2009 4:55 am UTC

The mere idea of mandatory pep rallies is something I can barely get my head around. Still, it sounds substantially more appealing than mandatory public showers, another seemingly-mythological high school phenomenon that I am grateful to have avoided. (Or is it completely mythological? Please tell me it is so.)

But then, I'm rather opposed to the idea of high-school athletics in general. Yes, physical activity is important and should be encouraged, but maybe not like this.

includemaliciousintent

Postby includemaliciousintent » Mon May 25, 2009 4:59 am UTC

Cheerleaders and Poms always weirded me out. For one thing, for years I didn't realize they had something to hide their panties so I was wondering why they let everyone see their underwear. Then there is the whole fact that they just jump around, not even allowed to do the cool pyramids anymore because of necksnapping fears. And because of the fact there is a track up near the bleachers, I have always thought that if I was decently close enough to the end, I could probably jump it and run to the stairs and take the fire exit out. Thing is, I never learned to drive during high school (still can't) so therefore, I would have no where to go then. >.>
"Money can buy you anything except true love and home grown tomatoes" - Prarie Home Companion (real radio show, not movie).

Interactive Civilian

Postby Interactive Civilian » Mon May 25, 2009 5:00 am UTC

Daemen wrote:I've been say exactly this all throughout high school. How can you really have pride for the school that (in most cases) you are forced to go to. The concept of school spirit feels just a bit to Orwellian too me, too much like 1984 - they channel your hate and aggression towards another school so you don't aim towards the administration of your own school.

Sounds a lot like nationalism and/or patriotism, doesn't it? ;)
I (x2+y2-1)3-x2y3=0 science.

Sifl

Postby Sifl » Mon May 25, 2009 5:03 am UTC

I like the idea of a pep rally being defused---especially if the school-color-wearing types could be forced to view people from an "opponent" school as friendly neighbors. Has anyone ever managed to do this? And how might it be achieved?
Last edited by Sifl on Mon May 25, 2009 5:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Mon May 25, 2009 5:03 am UTC

pep rallies are pretty stupid. it's just sitting outside for a while and yelling some stuff about how everyone else sucks.
Jorpho wrote:Still, it sounds substantially more appealing than mandatory public showers, another seemingly-mythological high school phenomenon that I am grateful to have avoided.
this. band FTW.
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

tpow

Postby tpow » Mon May 25, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Coming from a private school that I chose to go to, I rather enjoyed our rallies.
But we didn't have much cheerleaders, so the student gov't/leadership kids put it all together.
Seeing as we were a private school, most of the kids knew and/or hung out with students from all the schools in the area. The rallies didn't serve as a 1984-esque hate-fest against the other schools, but instead to support the various competitive clubs (which not only included sports but debate, academic team, et cetera)
"We should take harpoons!"
"And dynamite!"
"Don't you think that is going a bit over-board..."
"These aren't regular sharks..."

Addled

Postby Addled » Mon May 25, 2009 5:08 am UTC

We had manditory pep rallies as well. Most agreed it was generally pretty lame but some enjoyed a reason to get of class. There were always a couple of jokers that would subvert the wording of a cheer into something more entertaining.

The freakiest thing I encountered though was a "Pep Bonfire" sponsored by the school the night before a big football game, complete with an effigy of the opposing team's mascot.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Mon May 25, 2009 5:09 am UTC

ITT: People mistaking "Saved by the Bell" for real life

I'm going to have to call out most of this thread on having never actually been to a High School pep rally. I mean an Orwellian channeling of aggression? Honestly? Cheerleaders would jump around, and then whatever sports team that it was for would show up and play a bunch of silly little games, then maybe the dance team or another group would do another performance, the band would play the fight song... maybe there'd be a yelling contest or something...

..and then you'd go home. That's it. I was in the band (which did manage to suck out most of my actual school spirit) so my attendance in all of these were compulsory, and they were a colossal waste of time but usually no more than any other school-wide assembly.

And @ the cheerleader comment: when they're the same age as you are you generally don't think of them as "scantily clad underage girls" as more as "your classmates."

whomever1

Postby whomever1 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:22 am UTC

The dream I've had I am most proud about was during my high school years (at Las Vegas High), in which I attempted to stop a human sacrifice to the School Spirit.
But now that I'm a high school teacher at a school for the severely handicapped, it's interesting to notice what a strong archetype the Cheerleader role is. Even some autistic, non-verbal and wheelchair bound young women really, really, really want to be cheerleaders.

Nigy

Postby Nigy » Mon May 25, 2009 5:32 am UTC

It really is just like nationalism. The Jingoists I call them.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon May 25, 2009 5:33 am UTC

Ahh, the advantages of homeschooling...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Mon May 25, 2009 5:52 am UTC

Kalos wrote:ITT: People mistaking "Saved by the Bell" for real life

I'm going to have to call out most of this thread on having never actually been to a High School pep rally. I mean an Orwellian channeling of aggression? Honestly? Cheerleaders would jump around, and then whatever sports team that it was for would show up and play a bunch of silly little games, then maybe the dance team or another group would do another performance, the band would play the fight song... maybe there'd be a yelling contest or something...

..and then you'd go home. That's it. I was in the band (which did manage to suck out most of my actual school spirit) so my attendance in all of these were compulsory, and they were a colossal waste of time but usually no more than any other school-wide assembly.

And @ the cheerleader comment: when they're the same age as you are you generally don't think of them as "scantily clad underage girls" as more as "your classmates."
psh. sure, go ahead and inject logic into the situation whydoncha.
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

westrim

Postby westrim » Mon May 25, 2009 5:56 am UTC

Does anyone else feel sorry for the cheerleader? I mean, I hated the pep rallies at my school (suck on it, RMHS of the OUHSD) as much as everyone else posting here, but she's all alone in front of an uncooperative crowd and looks really down in the fourth panel. It just makes me feel kinda bad for her.

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Mon May 25, 2009 5:59 am UTC

ryu planeswalker wrote:Does anyone truly miss High School?

I enjoyed my high school experience, especially because the music program was top-notch.

But I agree with everyone else that pep rallies can go fuck off, especially when the gyms they're held in aren't air conditioned, they end up being the last part of the day and don't contribute anything meaningful, and of course they fit with the matter as put forth by the comic itself.

They were so boring and asinine. Thank heavens there were only like 2 per year maybe, and they usually ended up taking the place of the least pleasant class of the day.

But mine weren't usually filled much with outright hate for the other high school. Instead we'd have a stupid little pageant in which members of the school would dress up as crazy pop-culture characters and try to best the mascot of the rival high school in a sporting competition. Obviously they'd be staged so that all but the actual team itself would win. Mildly amusing but quickly tiresome.

Also little diversionary embarrassing games similar to those seen between innings at baseball games and on Nickelodeon's Slime Time.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”