0579: "The Race: Part 3"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Xbehave

Re: "The Race: Part 3" Discussion

Postby Xbehave » Wed May 06, 2009 11:12 am UTC

.torrents are everywhere (but buy the DVD), Not watched the movie yet but the series is epic.

My money is on Randell having a trick up his sleeve and Friday's comic starting with Nathan naked in the desert.

Oh and regarding that giant picture, I still would!
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Wed May 06, 2009 11:43 am UTC

That is classic. Those are both exactly the sorts of things River would say.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

Alder

Postby Alder » Wed May 06, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

Soooo...

I only twigged today that it was a daily series, nipped back to read yesterday's, and was chuckling so much at "Buckle! Swash!" that I forgot the mouseover text and had to go back...!!
And I've been watching Firefly last week and this week. One more episode to go. Bah.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

mathmagician

Postby mathmagician » Wed May 06, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Everyone take a look at panel 3 again. LOOK AT IT. It's a gorram stick figure and yet looks EXACTLY like Summer Glau. wtf.

Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught that.

So the race is a mixed bag. Not very funny without firefly, BUT look at the bright side. We get a comic every day this week, and those of us who prefer SG-1 over MacGyver or FireFly just might learn something. No pun intended.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn
from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent
disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

MehPlusRawr

Postby MehPlusRawr » Wed May 06, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

Rofl at the eighth panel...

neunon

Postby neunon » Wed May 06, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

All I can say is... I hope that the cast of Firefly reads this series. It's grand.

dr_pants

Postby dr_pants » Wed May 06, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

I'm dobbing on you! http://twitter.com/NathanFillion He's going to be so angry when he finds out.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed May 06, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

Excuse me for a moment:

SELF-INSERT.

My world is shattered.

At least "Randall", in the comic, is not behaving like a Gary Stu. Yet. I mean, I hope he evades that trap.

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Wed May 06, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

Xbehave wrote:.torrents are everywhere (but buy the DVD), Not watched the movie yet but the series is epic.

My money is on Randell having a trick up his sleeve and Friday's comic starting with Nathan naked in the desert.

Oh and regarding that giant picture, I still would!
I would definitely squee if Saffron made an appearance.
dr_pants wrote:I'm dobbing on you! http://twitter.com/NathanFillion He's going to be so angry when he finds out.
I didn't realize there were actual celebrities on Twitter! I am now following Nathan Fillion,Jewel Staite, Felicia Day, Vork, and Summer Glau. Summer only has 31 updates and hasn't updated since July of 2008, but the stuff she wrote is hilarious.
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

brian0918

Postby brian0918 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

Wow, I've been an xkcd fan for a couple years now, but this series has been a huge letdown, especially part 3. And I've been a Firefly fan since the beginning - still occasionally watch episodes at work, when I'm not reading this, PA, Wondermark, etc.

Erischan

Postby Erischan » Wed May 06, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

Alt Text: No, the best things about The Sarah Connor Chronicles were: (1) watching Sarah and Cameron try to pass for normal, and (2) Cameron throwing people and things through walls. Everything else was pretty secondary.

Wouldn't that make everything else tertiary?

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed May 06, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

Oh my goodness, Summer's twitter was hilarious!

Reading Nathan's now.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed May 06, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

The xkcdian protagonist here is such a wuss. Crash helmet, knee/elbow-pads. Seriously, such attire means he was asking for it for the <random anonymous bit-player from Firefail> to screw around with the frequencies to incite such an incident. If the other <male random anonymous bit-player from Serenilol> can stroll in in just a labcoat, I think he'll be fine in jeans & t-shirt...

Terminator Chronicles I 80% watch to purge the daemons of T3:RotM from my system, 15% for the in-depth discussion of Deep Blue chess-match powerplay, and 5% for Cromartie tossing a 20-man SWAT team into a motel swimming pool.

I'm still waiting on Tron Paul, or Black Hat Man to start rigging up potholes.

And Micro-Scooters beat electric skateboards any day folks.

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Wed May 06, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Excuse me for a moment:

SELF-INSERT.

My world is shattered.

At least "Randall", in the comic, is not behaving like a Gary Stu. Yet. I mean, I hope he evades that trap.

Um...what? Who did you think that stick figure guy in about half the strips was?

tetsujin

Postby tetsujin » Wed May 06, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:

SELF-INSERT.

My world is shattered.

Um...what? Who did you think that stick figure guy in about half the strips was?

Just... some stick figure guy. :)
---GEC
I want to create a truly new command-line shell for Unix.
Anybody want to place bets on whether I ever get any code written?

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

I don't mean to join in the bitch parade, but the last panel is a terrible joke. :x

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

Okay, two options:

1. Randall does, in fact, read the forums and took the idea from us of putting in more Firefly characters.
2. He decided to do that of his own will, and also because it's pretty much mandatory that if you mention one Firefly character, you must mention others, and Summer Glau and Jewel Staite (IMNSHO) were the most notable.

I'm thinking the latter, although Randall still probably reads at least some of the forums.

Summer Glau DOES always play weird roles. I don't think she's actually weird like that, she probably just is good at acting realistically insane. Kinda like Heath Ledger (rest in peace). And yes, she WAS the best part of Chronicles, although until the alt text I didn't realize he meant Terminator.

I guess this means (at least within the comic) that Sean Maher is an actual MD and Gina Torres can actually wield a carbine. And Ron Glass, I guess would be a missionary or a reverend.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Wed May 06, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

While I suspect that sure, Randall reads the fora, I also suspect that he writes and draws the comics well before they appear on the site.

I furthermore suspect that he could have had this whole week's comics queued up for as long as a month. So I wouldn't worry about influencing the course of this story-arc.
Attoc dna Sublab evol eht teews secoiv fo eht slrug
pronouns: he/him/his

Zafsk

Postby Zafsk » Wed May 06, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

Ok, I have to come here and say this. You *were* the best part of Chronicles? Screw that, *are* not *were*. Damn it, keep faith Randall, keep faith.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:11 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:Okay, two options:

1. Randall does, in fact, read the forums and took the idea from us of putting in more Firefly characters.
2. He decided to do that of his own will, and also because it's pretty much mandatory that if you mention one Firefly character, you must mention others, and Summer Glau and Jewel Staite (IMNSHO) were the most notable.

I'm thinking the latter, although Randall still probably reads at least some of the forums.

Summer Glau DOES always play weird roles. I don't think she's actually weird like that, she probably just is good at acting realistically insane. Kinda like Heath Ledger (rest in peace). And yes, she WAS the best part of Chronicles, although until the alt text I didn't realize he meant Terminator.

I guess this means (at least within the comic) that Sean Maher is an actual MD and Gina Torres can actually wield a carbine. And Ron Glass, I guess would be a missionary or a reverend.

Darn, I was kind of hoping it might be loosely based on actual events. That would make it epic.
tetsujin wrote:

SELF-INSERT.

My world is shattered.

Hard to say, the stick figure hasn't been explicitly named, and there are multiple, bald, hatless stick figures in xkcd. Then again, it does seem to resemble Randall in comic form.

AKBAR

Postby AKBAR » Thu May 07, 2009 1:26 am UTC

XKCD has officially jumped the shark.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu May 07, 2009 1:38 am UTC

Dont worry, by next Wednesday XKCD will not only have Un-jumped the Shark, it will have done so so hard that the shark doesn't come around looking to be jumped for a good decade or so.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

squidlywinks

Postby squidlywinks » Thu May 07, 2009 2:14 am UTC

This may seem a bit strange to ask, but it's been bothering me all day; where are the statistics on the average consumption of food taken from and do they take into account various eating disorders such as anorexia and binge eating disorder?

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Thu May 07, 2009 2:40 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
tetsujin wrote:

SELF-INSERT.

My world is shattered.

Hard to say, the stick figure hasn't been explicitly named, and there are multiple, bald, hatless stick figures in xkcd. Then again, it does seem to resemble Randall in comic form.

erm... what with this "Randall"? I know, it's just a photo and does not seem to be stick figure, but...

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Thu May 07, 2009 2:51 am UTC

Zafsk wrote:Ok, I have to come here and say this. You *were* the best part of Chronicles? Screw that, *are* not *were*. Damn it, keep faith Randall, keep faith.

This. This very, very much.

While I loved yesterday's script (to the point where I literally squeed), this one wasn't bad. The reference to Inarra, and the malfunctioning remote (seen it happen before, actually, in different brands of RC cars) made it better.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

demadaha

Postby demadaha » Thu May 07, 2009 3:37 am UTC

squidlywinks wrote:This may seem a bit strange to ask, but it's been bothering me all day; where are the statistics on the average consumption of food taken from and do they take into account various eating disorders such as anorexia and binge eating disorder?

According to my research, here, A human eats 1.5% of their body weight daily, meaning a human eats their body weight about every 67 days. Which means that either my source is wrong, Randall is wrong or Summer Glau is a sparrow/human hybrid.

(Note: I did not check the validity of the source in any way.)
Warning: Post may contain lame, overused reference.
That's no reference! It's a space station!

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Thu May 07, 2009 4:25 am UTC

I don't think energy is directly proportional to body weight, though, so maybe she's just talking about her own weight class?

nanotube

Postby nanotube » Thu May 07, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Kuznetsov wrote:
Comic JK wrote:I never watched this series...I feel starved for a programming joke. Or science. Or relationships. I'd even take language.
Durandal wrote:I really don't see any humor at all in this entire series. It's like, hey guys! I've seen Firefly too! This is so cool!

How about some original material?

Going to throw in my vote with these two. This entire series is really disappointing. Just waiting it out to the end, I guess. There are still, thankfully, other webcomics out there for which the "nerd" factor still outweighs bland pop culture references.

with you guys on this one.

kuznetsov: would appreciate a couple of linkies here, to those other webcomics. :)

khaighle

Postby khaighle » Thu May 07, 2009 7:46 am UTC

I am very, very sad that it took until the bottom of page 2 for someone to remark that the best part of SCC is, in fact, its oh-so-gratifying delivery on the promise of River Tam Beats Up Everyone.

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Thu May 07, 2009 9:36 am UTC

Kadzar wrote:I am now following Nathan Fillion,Jewel Staite, Felicia Day, Vork, and Summer Glau. Summer only has 31 updates and hasn't updated since July of 2008, but the stuff she wrote is hilarious.

If Nathan's is for real then
It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in 18 parsecs. Under 23Gs, at least 70 mpg. http://yfrog.com/0244rj

-I'm 17 again every gorram Halloween.

make him epic, summerglau's are just too good to be true though
# Constructing a spaceship in the back yard. Firefly changed me, man. Now, can someone fetch me some gravitational stabilizers?7:26 AM Jul 19th, 2008 from web

No, no. My birthday is next week... oh hell. She's not going to forgive me for forgetting. And I wanted to arrange a surprise party for her.

Homeland Security just asked what I needed all that uranium for. I told them about the spaceship. They asked to come along.
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu May 07, 2009 2:03 pm UTC

SELF-INSERT.

My world is shattered.

I should have made myself clear enough. I was thinking of "self-insert" in terms of Randall "self-inserting" his alter ego into ANOTHER SERIES, if that makes any sense. After all, generally, "self-insert" is used more when a fanfic writer puts his own self among characters from some other series, rather than when he creates an entirely new story with himself in the lead role or anything; and that's just what he's doing here, except that he came up with a quite lame excuse to make it seem less fanfic-like. But it's still self-insert fanfic anyway.

Pi is exactly three

Postby Pi is exactly three » Fri May 08, 2009 5:49 am UTC

I wrote:So, one row of panels on Monday, two rows yesterday, three today...
Friday is going to be epic!

Sigh. A perfectly good hypothesis ruined by Fox. There goes my shot at the Fields Medal.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Fri May 08, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

Pi is exactly three wrote:
I wrote:So, one row of panels on Monday, two rows yesterday, three today...
Friday is going to be epic!

Sigh. A perfectly good hypothesis ruined by Fox. There goes my shot at the Fields Medal.

I suppose there is a script for the last row, but Randall couldn't draw it, 'cause of FOX. Still nice guess.

Istaro

Postby Istaro » Sat May 09, 2009 4:35 am UTC

Anyone else started watching Chronicles thanks to this strip?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon May 11, 2009 4:37 am UTC

mathmagician wrote: We get a comic every day this week, and those of us who prefer SG-1 over MacGyver or FireFly just might learn something. No pun intended.
Hallowed are the Ori!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

AGaraiya

Postby AGaraiya » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:10 am UTC

I know this is random, but, in college, Summer Glau's sister was one of my room mates. Summer really is like that.
It's kind of terrifying.
And she has a mini cooper.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”